As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Blade Runner Owns.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Hey can y'all be extremely fucking careful around this point please

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Only watched Blade Runner for the first time earlier this year. And I was baffled about the replicant question. Because it didn't seem like something the movie posed at all. And at least for me, actively would negate the themes of the movie.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    Only watched Blade Runner for the first time earlier this year. And I was baffled about the replicant question. Because it didn't seem like something the movie posed at all. And at least for me, actively would negate the themes of the movie.

I had the same experience. At the very least I dont understand why it has become this overriding focus such that its the only thing that ever gets discussed when you bring up Bladerunner.

The movie has a lot going on but it feels like people only want to discuss that single question.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Hey can y'all be extremely fucking careful around this point please

Agreed. I double-spoilered my post for a reason.

Also, let me be as clear as I can: my spoiler tag does not reveal whether or not Deckard is a replicant, because the review I read does not reveal that information. Anyone posting tidbits that hint one way or the other did not get their conclusion based on what I wrote. And if they did, they're guessing. I can't ruin it for anyone because I don't know.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    There's not much else to talk about other than "wow, this movie looks amazing."

Oh, there's also "is Deckard's nerd impression good?"
    spoiler
    it is very good

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

spoiler
    it is very good

It had been enough that I completely forgot this scene and was like "oh wow, Ford should do more nerd voices because this is hilarious"

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

spoiler
    it is very good

It had been enough that I completely forgot this scene and was like "oh wow, Ford should do more nerd voices because this is hilarious"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBJSfGM5dGY

Better than this though

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited October 2017

spoiler
    it is very good

I feel like I’ve seen him do it in something else too, but I can’t quite put my finger on what it was

Veldrin on
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Mr. G wrote: »

spoiler
    it is very good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBJSfGM5dGY

Better than this though

No one is better than Henry Swanson!
    Veldrin wrote: »

spoiler
    it is very good

I feel like I’ve seen him do it something else too, but I can’t quite put my finger on what it was

Star Wars?

"Everything's under control, situation normal!"

Fawst on
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    Veldrin wrote: »

spoiler
    it is very good

I feel like I’ve seen him do it something else too, but I can’t quite put my finger on what it was

Uh, everything is under control. Situation normal. Uh, had a slight weapons malfunction. But, uh, everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here, now, thank you. How are you?

Also, there's the scene in Blade Runner itself where he first meets Zhora

• Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    i hate the version with the narrations. burn that version.

So fun fact, when they told Harrison Ford that the studio required he record a narration that he hated the idea so much he purposefully sucked at it as bad as he could in hopes that the studio would change their mind and ditch it. He was wrong and the studio felt that it had to be included because audiences wouldn't understand what was happening on the screen.

So some other strange facts about it are that Ridley and Harrison are not really friends and fought a lot. This shows in a few scenes that Harrison felt the directing was stupid on and so he tried to botch them in an attempt to force a re shoot or rewrite or exclusion of that from the film but they were still kept in. He is also a staunch supporter of the idea that Decker is NOT a "skin job" and has butted heads with Ridley over this fact as well.

Ridley has this weird obsession with Decker being a replicant and supposedly formed the opinion after the movie was made. Honestly I hope it doesn't turn out that he is one as it would ruin a lot of his moral dilemma and also hurt some of the continuity but Ridley was once quoted that if he did squeal he would put proof in it that Decker is a replicant, so we shall see.

Also yes the unicorn bit was total hack work and silly as well as unused footage from another Ridley film that he really wanted to shove into the movie. I like Ridley Scott's work but sometimes *cough*Prometheus*cough* he really can slide off the rails. He also is a bit eccentric and crazy but that is part of the charm of him and his films even if he is like really good at his craft when not getting too schlockie.

So what's everyone think of the shorts? I rather like the animated one!

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Instead of unused unicorn footage from Legend, they should have put in unused Tim Curry footage

• Options
    The unicorn scene was test footage from Legend, I thought?

• Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »

Yup it most certainly was!

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Chimera wrote: »
    Fawst wrote: »

Yup it most certainly was!

No, it wasn't.

• Options
    Ford has also repeatedly said he did not intentionally try to sink the narration, he just did what he could with bad material and no direction or input of any kind

• Options
    Weird thing is that with the noir style they were going with, I think narration could have actually worked

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    Death To All Voiceover

• Options
    That Star Wars line was good, but it’s not quite the level of dweebo that I’m thinking of.

• Options
    Ford has also repeatedly said he did not intentionally try to sink the narration, he just did what he could with bad material and no direction or input of any kind

I think a lot of those claims came after the studio tried to get him to recant it. In the end I think there is a mix between the stories. One thing about it though is that it could have added to the story and been cool had they decided to make it a true future-noir pic from the get go but obviously this was not the case.

• Options
    Knob wrote: »
    Death To All Voiceover

In general I agree, but I think that if the movie had been made with that in mind from the beginning rather than a last second "We're not sure if audiences are stupid or not" measure, given the stylistic leanings of the movie it could have worked and not felt out of place.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    The unicorn scene was filmed for Blade Runner. It does not use test footage from Legend.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Also the scene with Deckard putting the moves on Rachael is uh

well it doesn't super hold up to 2017's standards of what constitutes consent

• Options
    Ugh yeah, I always forget just how skeevy that scene is and it catches me off guard every time.

• Options
    So you're saying the unicorn wasn't from Legend? =)

• Options
    With Ridley "Deckard always a replicant" Scott you have to take it with a grain of salt but that's the story as it is told. The rumours of the scene being from Legend is just people looking at the two movies and saying the unicorns look the same. But the facts are on the side of the unicorn scene being original to Blade Runner, unless there's some more info out there.

• Options
    With Ridley "Deckard always a replicant" Scott you have to take it with a grain of salt but that's the story as it is told. The rumours of the scene being from Legend is just people looking at the two movies and saying the unicorns look the same. But the facts are on the side of the unicorn scene being original to Blade Runner, unless there's some more info out there.

The rumor goes a little further than that, since Ridley Scott also directed Legend.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Yes. But other than that it is just rumour.

The horns look different too.
    Blade Runner:
    thhozo51lhrk.png

Legend:
    vukx3n8epuyn.png

The Blade Runner horn has a tighter spiral.

Unlike Ridley claiming Deckard was always a replicant (which is contradicted by many other people who worked on the film saying "what? no") his claim that the scene was always shot for Blade Runner hasn't been disagreed with by other people who worked on the film. If someone in the know disagreed with his assertion that Deckard was always a replicant, they could have easily pointed at the unicorn scene being added in later as that proof Ridley was changing the story later to fit. But the unicorn scene existed and was going to be in the theatrical cut but was cut at the request of the producers (or so the story goes).

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    With Ridley "Deckard always a replicant" Scott you have to take it with a grain of salt but that's the story as it is told.

In the interview he did with Digital Spy he straight up said, "he is definitely a replicant." He says the fact is a "duh" and points to the unicorn origami as the proof.

• Options
    Boy am I glad Ridley Scott did not have total control of this movie

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Knob wrote: »
    Maybe if you weren't so busy lording all those butts you'd know

You know, you got me there

But, your butts....!

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Boy am I glad Ridley Scott did not have total control of this movie

It's kind of amazing how for me Ridley Scott as a director or producer has just gone downhill for me since Blade Runner.

• Options
    The story I had heard was that they used test footage from Legend (thus the different horse and alicorn) to pad out the DC/Final Cut. Clearly that's not true, but it made sense.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    MrMonroe wrote: »

I'm watching the movie right now

He slams the door on her as she tries to leave, throws her against the wall, and corners her

It's super unsettling!

It's played for romance!

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

He slams the door on her as she tries to leave, throws her against the wall, and corners her

It's super unsettling!

It's played for romance!

I do not think there is any way that scene is “played for romance”.

In fact, I have some unresolved issues about the end of the movie, which means I need to watch it again.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017

It's super unsettling!

It's played for romance!

you can tell it's romantic and not rapey because of the synthsax

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Yeah, that sax.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    I think it's played for romance, just really badly in a way that doesn't hold up in the slightest and doesn't really address the idea that Deckard's job is to kill Rachael so any advances by him are pretty super fucked up no matter how they go.

• Options
    I love how nuts Rutger Hauer is in this movie

I was literally about to write "he might as well be howling at the moon" and then he howled onscreen

6F32U1X.png