As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The "Bad" [fashion] Thread: Technically also things Man was not meant to digest.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Feet are gross and I should never have to see any of yours

my feets is byooteefool

well one is I guess the other is a scarred up wreck now

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Big list of things I thought were stupid or unbearable until I tried them and now wear:
    Cardigans
    Brogue boots
    No show socks
    Anything suede
    Scarves
    Popovers
    Patterned dress socks
    Men's accessories other than watches
    Watches
    Slim jeans
    Chinos in non-khaki colors
    Sportcoats
    Puffer vests over non-athletic clothes
    Overcoats
    Linen

Short list of stuff that no actually it's still fucking terrible:
    Polo shirts
    Sweater vests
    All hats (thanks for ruining this, you peacocking rapist dipshits)
    Sandals in general
    Short sleeve button ups

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I have hairy hobbit feet that the world does not deserve to be subjected to.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    JihadJesus wrote: »

wait, what???

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

wait, what???

I'm assuming its a reference to m'lady internet assholes adopting the fedora as their hat of choice and making it impossible to see someone wearing one without thinking less of them

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Here's more designs by the guy who made the tentacle shoes, along with a close up of those shoes:

http://www.boredpanda.com/octopus-high-heels-shoes-tentacle-fashion-kermit-tesoro-polypodis/

The hoof shoes are a little much.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular

wait, what???

It's one of the hallmarks and major advice cornerstones of the pick up artist red pill 'movement'. Fedora especially, but classic styled men's hats in general, got adopted as a major calling card.

They were hard to pull off before, and it is 110% not worth it to me now.

• Options
    edited April 2017

wait, what???

It's one of the hallmarks and major advice cornerstones of the pick up artist red pill 'movement'. Fedora especially, but classic styled men's hats in general, got adopted as a major calling card.

They were hard to pull off before, and it is 110% not worth it to me now.

holy crap, I knew about the fedora but for crying out loud

stop ruining one of the two accessories we have, shitlords

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Polo shirts for me are for days when I'm not sure if I'll have to go visit a client, so I need slightly more professional than jeans and a tee but I'm too lazy for a buttonup.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Don't wear sandals.

Don't listen to these naysayers. That said be prepared for this to happen if you wear them a lot (spoiled for GG's delicate sensibilities)
    xqntYw4.jpg

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I had a fedora years ago but people said I looked Hassidic when I wore it with my black overcoat.

That ended my attempts to look like Cary Grant.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    My new glasses got here.

I know I need to shave.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Sweater vests are fine!

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    My new glasses got here.

I know I need to shave.

Those are nice frames.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Looking good, Uriel

Where do I find long sleeve button down shirts that are meant to be worn untucked?

• Options
    Thanks! I like them too, but they are slightly narrower than I thought when I ordered them.

I gotta get used the the new script, I've had it since last summer but haven't gotten new glasses with it 'til just now also went with the blue light treatment and anti glare stuff so that's weird too.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Thanks! I like them too, but they are slightly narrower than I thought when I ordered them.

I gotta get used the the new script, I've had it since last summer but haven't gotten new glasses with it 'til just now also went with the blue light treatment and anti glare stuff so that's weird too.

Yeah getting new lenses, even if the prescription doesn't change, always takes a bit of an adjustment.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Flip-flops are my default footwear in the summer. Anything else is too hot (are you guys talking about being in air conditioned cars and offices for the summer? Because how on earth do you wear long sleeves, pants and shoes in 85+ degree heat?). Other "open" footwear doesn't stay on my foot or is ill-fitting. I can't wear flats, I can't wear heels, I can't wear sandals unless they have some kind of stretchy or hyper-adjustable straps. I have narrow feet and narrow heels. I'm a short person and wearing sneakers with shorts looks weird as hell on me.

Most bars/restaurants here don't care about your footwear. If I have plans to go out to a place that actually cares at all about what's on my feet, then my entire outfit is going to be different because this means that the place is relatively upper tier. Places that care about flip-flops and sandals around here generally are more expensive and are planned outings, anyway.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    I don't wear flip-flops in the summer much since I moved up north to VA. When I was in college, though, I was in them from April to October, basically.

Living up here is making me soft. It was only 85 the other day and the thought that maybe I should have worn shorts crossed my mind.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    dammit wrong thread

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I can't stand flip flops

sandals/birkenstocks are okay though

But yeah I'm in an AC most of the day so pants/long sleeve are preferable

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I wear them to the pool. gotta have flip flops on that deck

• Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    My office is so cold I still have to dress like it's the dead of winter on beautiful warm days.

• Options
    How can your feet get too hot?

• Options

Step 1. Put on socks and sneakers when your environment is very warm.

• Options

Step 1. Put on socks and sneakers when your environment is very warm.

I dunno I've been out in socks and sneakers on days that are 90 plus degrees and 100% humidity.

Never felt like my feet were too hot.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    You are endowed with a great blessing then, Uriel.

• Options
    I just can't comprehend considering the comfort of my feet in that way.

But then my feet are a gnarled calloused nightmare and I rarely take off my socks...

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Wear sandals

Wear sandals OR flip flops

Wear these when you are on the beach or backpacking or trekking somewhere hot where there aren't poisonous things to step on.

Or like to pool parties

I mean hell, wear them wherever you want, you do you.

But you won't be able to come into some bars and restaurants and that's a bummer.

Okay but I care way more about being comfortable than I do about dumb arbitrary rules so if I'm not allowed to go somewhere because of how I'm dressed, that's their loss, not mine. I'll just go to a bar that doesn't suck.

I understand the sentiment here, and that's all well and good when you're going out alone. But what happens a lot to me, especially in cities where there are upscale places with dresscodes, is this:

We all plan to go in a group to a known, upscale establishment.

Everyone arrives at the establishment.

One person rolls up in flip flops.

So what do you do at that point? It's rude to expect the entire party to rearrange their planned evening because you couldn't bring yourself to wear loafers.

I'm not digging in to the classist or exclusionary angles of argument here, although those do exist. The fact is, these aren't bars that suck, they're really good bars or restaurants that happen to have a dresscode (whether you're fine with that or not). It's not so uncommon in downtown areas of major cities that it couldn't be predicted, and one person refusing to snazzy up a bit is really frustrating for the rest of the party.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Wear sandals

Wear these when you are on the beach or backpacking or trekking somewhere hot where there aren't poisonous things to step on.

Or like to pool parties

But you won't be able to come into some bars and restaurants and that's a bummer.

Okay but I care way more about being comfortable than I do about dumb arbitrary rules so if I'm not allowed to go somewhere because of how I'm dressed, that's their loss, not mine. I'll just go to a bar that doesn't suck.

I understand the sentiment here, and that's all well and good when you're going out alone. But what happens a lot to me, especially in cities where there are upscale places with dresscodes, is this:

So what do you do at that point? It's rude to expect the entire party to rearrange their planned evening because you couldn't bring yourself to wear loafers.

I'm not digging in to the classist or exclusionary angles of argument here, although those do exist. The fact is, these aren't bars that suck, they're really good bars or restaurants that happen to have a dresscode (whether you're fine with that or not). It's not so uncommon in downtown areas of major cities that it couldn't be predicted, and one person refusing to snazzy up a bit is really frustrating for the rest of the party.

Personally I'd leave the individual behind and encourage the group to stick with the venue.

But I'm a monster.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I'm all about thongs/flipflops/jandals/scuffs/sandals year round, unless I'm specifically going out to somewhere that might have a dress code. If I don't know the dress code, I default to dressing up and looking nice(ish) rather than risking being that guy.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    summertime is for sandals

these ones for outside:
    teva-mens-katavi-outdoor-sandal_122711.jpg

and these for indoors:
    s-l1000.jpg

but when i can get away with it, barefoot whenever possible

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    I buy some fashion in packs because I'm a value-monster. New ties!
    wf9nwfuzcft5.png

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I like the blue and white ones.

• Options
    Wear sandals

Or like to pool parties

This seems like it's not a shoe-wear issue at all.

It's a "this person decided to be an idiot" issue.

• Options
    I never want to go somewhere with a dress code.

Ever.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I went to fogo de chao once and they sat us in the corner 100% because the person I was with was wearing a star wars tshirt and sandals

food tasted just as good in the corner though

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    A place people dress up to go to is a 100% express ticket to uncomfortable anxietyville for me.

I stayed at the Thompson in downtown Chicago last Halloween and I am certain I'd rather stay at a much cheaper hotel next time I travel. Barf.

• Options
    The occasions I get to dress up are SUUUPER rare, so I kinda welcome the opportunity.

But yeah it's always for a planned outing.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    personally I think establishments should be more welcoming of my showing off my v good looking feet, i mean i hear some people will pay for the privilege

but if there's plans for a dress code place and you're made aware of it then showing up without dressing to meet that code means you're a goose

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
This discussion has been closed.