As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help with weird resolution issue on a new 4k TV.

Evil_MuffinEvil_Muffin Registered User regular
I have a new Sony 4k tv model xbr55x850c. When I connect either of my computers to this TV, the way I always used to with my 1080 Sony TV, they connect at the resolution I have set, 1920 by 1080, however, the image fills the screen up, but the icons are huge and text is bigger on websites like I have zoomed in. Connecting to the old TV with either laptop works perfectly, and I find myself unable to find a setting which will fix this after reading the manual and trying to google the problem, though I will admit my google fu can be weak at times. Has anyone else ever encountered this issue or have any insight? I would really appreciate any help.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    There's usually some aspect ratio or zoom feature that people turn on when using HDMI for classic inputs like you'd see from a gamecube that makes it more square. Could be that causing your issues.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I have checked that setting on the TV and on the PC, they are set correctly.

The image fills up the entire screen properly and is the right shape.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    It's stretching a 1920 x 1080 image to 3840 x 2160 you need to change the scaling on the monitor or change your output resolution would be my guess. I'd say try upping the resolution on the laptop and see if that fixes it in the way you want.(if the card is even capable of outputting at that resolution which it may not be)

I'd imagine you're going to have to do some mixture of adjusting the image scaling through your display control panel both on your tv and your laptop.

Edit: I've never had much luck getting a TV to look just right as a monitor. They're functional but unless you like a 1080 resolution they always look funky.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    I think you are on the right track, however, any idea where that option is on the TV, or what it would be labeled?

• Options
    Great ScottGreat Scott King of Wishful Thinking Paragon City, RIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Evil_Muffin, note that things like scaling/resolution can get strange at 4K, because not all HDMI inputs, outputs on video card, and sometimes cables, can support the signal. It's entirely possible that the TV is actually showing a 1080P screen and then stretching it to 4K.

What resolution does the PC show as being used for the desktop? What OS are you running on the PCs? If it's Windows 10, then it will be TV-aware, and might be magnifying the desktop on purpose. If so, you can check by going to System->Display and seeing if "Change the size of text, apps, and other items" is set to 100% or something higher.

Great Scott on
    I'm unique. Just like everyone else.
  • Options
    It is on windows 10, I will check those settings right now.

• Options
    Evil_Muffin, note that things like scaling/resolution can get strange at 4K, because not all HDMI inputs, outputs on video card, and sometimes cables, can support the signal. It's entirely possible that the TV is actually showing a 1080P screen and then stretching it to 4K.

What resolution does the PC show as being used for the desktop? What OS are you running on the PCs? If it's Windows 10, then it will be TV-aware, and might be magnifying the desktop on purpose. If so, you can check by going to System->Display and seeing if "Change the size of text, apps, and other items" is set to 100% or something higher.

Thank you so much, that was exactly my problem. The display scaling was stuck on 150% as if I was running in 4k mode, even though I was manually setting it at 1920 by 1080. Changing this fixed the problem, I cant thank you enough!

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    Just wondering. Have you considered setting your PC to use the 4K resolution?
    Depending on your graphics hardware, but most recent graphics cards will happily do it and if you have HDMI 2.0 you can run the resolution in 60 hz.
    Now the 4K resolution may make things suddenly feel too small depending on your viewing distance, so putting back on scaling might be need but everything will look lots sharper with the 4K resolution.

Bones heal, glory is forever.