As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DC Comics Thread! Titans out this week!

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    One thing Johns was very adamant about in today's round of interviews about Rebirth is
    that Doctor Manhattan is the antagonist of this story, not the villain. He isn't a villainous mustache twirling villain and hasn't been twisting and changing the DCU for fun and to watch the heroes squirm.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Rebirth is the first actual issue of a DC comic I have ever bought.

I've read a bunch of trades and graphic novels or course, but by the time I had expendable income to afford single issues we got the dark gritty tone I hated, much preferred diving into the back collection so stuff I actually liked.

So rebirth was very much, yeah, ok, let's see what you got. Now I'm planning on picking up a bunch of the new #1's. So good job DC I guess.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    One thing Johns was very adamant about in today's round of interviews about Rebirth is
    that Doctor Manhattan is the antagonist of this story, not the villain. He isn't a villainous mustache twirling villain and hasn't been twisting and changing the DCU for fun and to watch the heroes squirm.
    I haven't read the issue, has there been any appearance BY Doctor Manhattan yet?

I would not be surprised for it turn out that he isn't even doing this intentionally

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I haven't read the issue, has there been any appearance BY Doctor Manhattan yet?

I would not be surprised for it turn out that he isn't even doing this intentionally
    There's a scene where Pandora talks to some unseen person about how he'll fail because of DC's inherent hope and she gets disintegrated in a very familiar manner

And then at the very end they have Manhattan/Ozymandias' final conversation over shots of mars, even in the font used in Watchmen

• Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

It is at least somewhat intentionally as he killed Pandora and appeared to be using her as a scapegoat for his actions

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Superman: Rebirth preview
    5227875-1+smreb_1_1.jpg
    5227876-2+smreb_1_2.jpg
    5227878-3+smreb_1_3.jpg
    5227879-4+smreb_1_4.jpg
    5227880-5+smreb_1_5.jpg

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I assumed the Rebirth issues were the #1s of the relaunches

Apparently they aren't?

So are they gonna be essential, still?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    They are basically for people to buy if they are curious or are gonna get the book anyways

They set up the status quo for the series and are intended to be a barometer of tone and whatnot, the #1s are supposed to function on their own just fine

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    And on the third day, they went to the tomb, and found the stone rolled back...

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Grayson stuck the landing, which is appropriate for a comic about an acrobat turned superhero. One particular moment gave me chills

(Spoilers for Grayson #20)
    So an evil nazi scientist managed to cheat death by having his consciousness copied into the body of Helena Bertinelli, aka Huntress. To save her, Dick offers to trade his life for hers, and have Doctor Daedalus take over his body instead. Because literally no one can resist the appeal of having Dick Grayson's body, he accepts, and as the consciousness switch takes place, Dick and Helena have time for a brief conversation in which he explains he has no plan beyond fighting his hardest and hoping his years of mental training are enough, setting the stage for a battle of wills.
    Nmu815d.png
    P5dHbVQ.png
    VumnbYz.png

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    That is delightful

Man, Grayson, you were such a fun comic

How the hell did that even happen?

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Grayson was the best/biggest surprise for me out of all of the last few years of DC books. The initial premise seemed just okay (Dick Grayson fakes his death, goes undercover as a secret agent), and the marketing for it was pretty awful and ripe for parody
    948b0765-45a3-4deb-a69f-8f4b15b3ea48_zpsnmqrp1au.jpg
    xUyFzIq.jpg

And then Dick threw his gun and used it as a makeshift batarang and I started to believe, and it was all good from there.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Dan Abnett has signed an exclusive contract with DC, and announced so in an interview about Titans which sounds like a Really Important book for the new/old DCU
    Wally is the centerpiece of the title who brings the team back together and unites them and the core of the book is the team trying to figure out A) what happened to the missing 10 years from their universe and what other changes have happened and B) what parts of their lives have they forgotten.

Abnett says the characters are all beginning to flesh out and remember their old ways now that Wally is back, Donna is no longer an emotionless killing machine, Arsenal realizes that there's a reason he has fallen off the wagon so many times and there is a void in his life he didn't even know he had, etc. And they are going to try and find out what has been messing with them to make them into their very different New 52 selves.

I hate Brett Booth's art but Abnett is a damn good writer and that premise is more than enough to get me on board.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Straightzi wrote: »
    That is delightful

I don't know how much credit for Grayson's writing goes to Tim Seeley or Tom King, and Jackson Lanzing and Collin Kelly did a fine job finishing the story

I haven't read anything else by the others, but King's Vision book for Marvel has also been fantastic, so he's definitely a writer I'm going to be paying attention to. I'm also excited to have King writing Batman and Seeley writing Nightwing in Rebirth, and will be checking out both.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Dick did the gun throwing thing back when he was a cop too, I think

Or he very conveniently lost his firearm all the time, and then found it before he could get in trouble

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    That is delightful

That looks great

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    That is delightful

I don't know how much credit for Grayson's writing goes to Tim Seeley or Tom King, and Jackson Lanzing and Collin Kelly did a fine job finishing the story

I haven't read anything else by the others, but King's Vision book for Marvel has also been fantastic, so he's definitely a writer I'm going to be paying attention to. I'm also excited to have King writing Batman and Seeley writing Nightwing in Rebirth, and will be checking out both.

Tom King wrote a novel that I've been meaning to read, and I've heard it's quite good!

I'm glad to hear he made Grayson into a great book after the premise sounded like some serious nonsense

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    so, Rebirth talk, specifically the core concept. I've seen it mentioned in a couple places that Johns may be being a bit unfair casting the characters he does as the antagonists of the whole thing, effectively blaming the original writer of those characters for the industry trends that DC is now trying to reverse... except the original author feels the same way:
    Alan Moore wrote:
    I don’t think that the world needs that many brooding psychopathic avengers. I don’t know that we need any. It was a disappointment to me, how Watchmen was absorbed into the mainstream. It had originally been meant as an indication of what people could do that was new. I’d originally thought that with works like Watchmen and Marvelman, I’d be able to say, “Look, this is what you can do with these stale old concepts. You can turn them on their heads. You can really wake them up. Don’t be so limited in your thinking. Use your imagination.” And, I was naively hoping that there’d be a rush of fresh and original work by people coming up with their own. But, as I said, it was meant to be something that would liberate comics. Instead, it became this massive stumbling block that comics can’t even really seem to get around to this day. They’ve lost a lot of their original innocence, and they can’t get that back. And, they’re stuck, it seems, in this kind of depressive ghetto of grimness and psychosis. I’m not too proud of being the author of that regrettable trend.
    https://www.inverse.com/article/14967-alan-moore-now-believes-the-killing-joke-was-melodramatic-not-interesting

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    That is delightful

Great writers who understand the character and good art.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    That is delightful

Great writers who understand the character and good art.

and dat ass

• Options
    Midnighter being able to recognize Nightwing through his face camo tech because he could never forget Dick's butt is still the best goddamn thing

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Has anyone actually checked out Scooby Apocalypse?

Because CA just put an article up on the first issue and uh

UH

(spoilers)
    In addition to the company that Velma works for trying to we3 Scooby Doo, they were working on a project that was going to nanite blast all of humanity into subservience

And things went wrong

Scooby06.jpg

• Options
    something I just realized that I'd forgotten in all of the excitement over Rebirth being a neat thing that has me more excited about DC comics than I have been literally ever before, and that's that just over a week ago Geoff Johns was basically made the Kevin Feige of DC's movies (he's co-boss of DC Films along with Warner's Exec VP)

Hopefully this means the new era of hope and optimism will bleed over into the films as well

• Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    Dan Abnett has signed an exclusive contract with DC, and announced so in an interview about Titans which sounds like a Really Important book for the new/old DCU
    Wally is the centerpiece of the title who brings the team back together and unites them and the core of the book is the team trying to figure out A) what happened to the missing 10 years from their universe and what other changes have happened and B) what parts of their lives have they forgotten.

Abnett says the characters are all beginning to flesh out and remember their old ways now that Wally is back, Donna is no longer an emotionless killing machine, Arsenal realizes that there's a reason he has fallen off the wagon so many times and there is a void in his life he didn't even know he had, etc. And they are going to try and find out what has been messing with them to make them into their very different New 52 selves.

I hate Brett Booth's art but Abnett is a damn good writer and that premise is more than enough to get me on board.

So it seems Titan Hunt, also by Abnett, is gonna be pretty important because that is somewhat the same premise. Although, from the solicits that I've read, it looks like the book was treading water???

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular

UH

(spoilers)
    In addition to the company that Velma works for trying to we3 Scooby Doo, they were working on a project that was going to nanite blast all of humanity into subservience

And things went wrong

Scooby06.jpg

where's classic Scooby Villains like that one clown guy, man in an olde-timey diver suit, and that timeless essential, sweet jesus, are they actually doing a "witch doctor", good lord the 70s were not sensitive to race issues?

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Can someone give me an overview of the leadup to rebirth or what would be required reading to get the full impact?

• Options
    honovere wrote: »
    Can someone give me an overview of the leadup to rebirth or what would be required reading to get the full impact?

that's... complicated, in part because to get the full impact you'd probably need to read some crap comics that I couldn't in good conscience recommend as part of the core of the story is that DC has gone through a pretty dark and unpleasant period that is being decisively ended.

Flashpoint, the event that led into the dark days of New52 is supposed to be good, though I haven't read it, so you may want to read that, then imagine 4.5 years of grimdark with occasional pockets of good storytelling, then Multiversity which brought back the DC multiverse, and then read Rebirth? I'm sure others who are more long-time DC fans or who stuck with them through New52 can suggest more.

The nice thing about Rebirth is there doesn't appear to have been a lot of lead up to it within the books themselves, I read it having read very little DC other than Grayson in recent years and I got it just fine, but it did feel like having read Flashpoint would have helped.

• Options
    Comics were fun and good
    Then comics were mean and ugly
    They're going to be fun and good again

• Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    Geoff Johns does a good job of explaining why Rebirth is a big deal I think. You can go in reading it just fine I believe.
    But maybe you should know about:
    *Watchmen by Alan Moore and it's unintended impact on comic books.
    *The impact of Flashpoint by Geoff Johns
    *The impact the New52 had on DC and lots of the complaints it received.
    *The recent Final Days of Superman storyline by Tomasi (it's a good read!)
    *Convergence (it's pretty mediocre) just know we got pre-flashpoint Superman and Lois and their son in to the current universe. Although, the Convergence tie in by Dan Jurgens is top notch!
    *Lastly Geoff Johns' Darkseid War had consequences that led to Rebirth being able to happen story wise[\spoiler]

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Midnighter being able to recognize Nightwing through his face camo tech because he could never forget Dick's butt is still the best goddamn thing

Basically all of Midnighter and Dick's interactions have been fantastic in Grayson, Midnighter, and Batman and Robin Eternal. Their chemistry is amazing

In Grayson
    Dick and Tiger are being attacked by the secret cabal trying to take down Spyral and they're getting their asses kicked and Dick says "I've got a present for you" and Midnight pops through one of his doors and the entire cabal just goes "Oh shit"

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular

UH

(spoilers)

And things went wrong

Scooby06.jpg

where's classic Scooby Villains like that one clown guy, man in an olde-timey diver suit, and that timeless essential, sweet jesus, are they actually doing a "witch doctor", good lord the 70s were not sensitive to race issues?

The kid-friendly Scooby-Doo title is still ongoing.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Speaking of Scooby Doo villains, how about the motorcycle-riding zombie ska band that wants to bring ska back from the dead by releasing a song that turns anyone who hears it into a mindless dancing zombie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmbFACeLcZo

(Also, what happens a few seconds after the end of that video is pretty great too)

• Options
    An accurate portrayal of how terrible ska is.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I still don't understand the appeal of Scooby Doo

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

It is representative of an entire genre of kids television and honestly its the only one of those that could at all be considered good.

Quire.jpg
  • Options

It's teens solving mysteries

What is there to not understand?

• Options
    something I just realized that I'd forgotten in all of the excitement over Rebirth being a neat thing that has me more excited about DC comics than I have been literally ever before, and that's that just over a week ago Geoff Johns was basically made the Kevin Feige of DC's movies (he's co-boss of DC Films along with Warner's Exec VP)

Hopefully this means the new era of hope and optimism will bleed over into the films as well

Oh, OH

This should have been really obvious but it only just clicked for me

The guy who is steerig DC Comics away from a dark period that took too much inspiration from Watchmen is taking charge of a movie division that has been making overly dark, grim movies... from the director of Watchmen

• Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular

Oh, OH

The guy who is steerig DC Comics away from a dark period that took too much inspiration from Watchmen is taking charge of a movie division that has been making overly dark, grim movies... from the director of Watchmen

it is pretty great that Snyder is very much one of the chief offenders when it comes to misinterpreting and taking the wrong lessons from Watchmen and now he's somewhat beholden to Johns

i would say the bigger sign of good things to come is that Ben Affleck apparently has a really good relationship with Johns and agrees with a lot of his ideas creatively, and since he was made an Exec Producer on Justice League, he's gaining a bit more of a creative voice on the movie than he had on BvS. i still don't think the movie will be good because Snyder is still directing at the end of the day, but i do think it'll be a step in the right direction

• Options
    I hope Johns can turn the ship around

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Oh, OH

it is pretty great that Snyder is very much one of the chief offenders when it comes to misinterpreting and taking the wrong lessons from Watchmen and now he's somewhat beholden to Johns

i would say the bigger sign of good things to come is that Ben Affleck apparently has a really good relationship with Johns and agrees with a lot of his ideas creatively, and since he was made an Exec Producer on Justice League, he's gaining a bit more of a creative voice on the movie than he had on BvS. i still don't think the movie will be good because Snyder is still directing at the end of the day, but i do think it'll be a step in the right direction

Snyder's wife is apparently still a Producer on some of these movies so I think we're going to hear some amazing back stage power struggles in the next few months

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
This discussion has been closed.