As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DC Comics Thread! Titans out this week!

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I think... I am actually going to read the main Rebirth book
    I assume it'll be a limited series
    It's a 80 page one shot for 2.99 out this Wednesday

There's no main book aside from that

Hmm
    so was that IGN piece the entirety of it? I'm curious then in what book the shit will go down
    Yeah, that's the whole one shot
    Chances are it will be hinted through various books, since the one shot set up a bunch of different plots for various books

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    One thing about Rebirth is unequivocally like is
    the return of Aqualad and the reveal that he is gay
    have they specified that it's Kaldur yet?

also i'm partial to Superman, husband and father myself
    It was Jackson Hyde who is the DCU equivalent of Kaldur. Same powers, Manta's his dad, etc.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    I think... I am actually going to read the main Rebirth book
    I assume it'll be a limited series
    It's a 80 page one shot for 2.99 out this Wednesday

There's no main book aside from that

Hmm
    so was that IGN piece the entirety of it? I'm curious then in what book the shit will go down

It's just a jumping-off point to set up the mysteries and such to come. Kinda like the special DC printed before Infinite Crisis where Ted Kord got shot.

• Options
    Honestly the only thing I straight up dislike from that summary is
    Blue Beetle being magic again

I will give Giffen the benefit of the doubt but man that could potentially fuck up a lot of the amazing Pre Reboot Blue Beetle story

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I will give DC one more try. I loved them when I was young, but man, Nu52 left me cold, except for Aquaman. Some of these titles sound good.

But I just bought all 7 issues of Final Crisis and man, that made no sense whatsoever. Were there parts of the story told in different comics or what? Because as told in that series, I could not follow it well at all.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    I will give DC one more try. I loved them when I was young, but man, Nu52 left me cold, except for Aquaman. Some of these titles sound good.

But I just bought all 7 issues of Final Crisis and man, that made no sense whatsoever. Were there parts of the story told in different comics or what? Because as told in that series, I could not follow it well at all.
    Superman Beyond was definitely required, to the point that it was included in the hardcover

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    One thing about Rebirth is unequivocally like is
    the return of Aqualad and the reveal that he is gay
    did he find his boyfriend via plenty of fish

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

A dude on Reddit got a leaked copy of the Rebirth one shot and is posting some pictures

The big shocking reveal?
    Watchmen is now part of the DCU in some capacity, as there is a full page splash of Batman holding up the smiley pin with blood on it

They are seemingly responsible for whatever it is that causes the Rebirth event and the mixing of the two timelines according to the leaker
    You know what? Yeah, sure, this is where they might as well go. This is basically what the last 30 years have lead up to. DC has spent that time years learning the wrong lessons from Watchman, driving the tone of their books increasingly more grimdark. Might as well miss the point entirely and make them part of the DC universe.
    Well

Turns out Watchmen is explicitly why the DCU got so dark

Wally says that Manhattan is responsible for ripping 10 years away from the DCU, which means that even before the New 52 (which was 5 years I believe) he was messing with reality which would explain as far back as Infinite Crisis.
    I also take it as commentary on the darkness of the DCEU.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    So uh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEXmZUtzacU

Somehow the remastered versions of the Arkham games actually look WORSE than the originals?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    ...holy shit they really do

I mean those games aren't out yet so like, maybe they haven't finished remastering them

But why would you put out a trailer full of things that you know aren't as good as the original thing and call it a remaster?

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    oh man
    that all looks pretty bad but that Penguin and Hugo Strange are fucking garbo

• Options
    edited May 2016
    The one shot of the Penguin actually looks better than the original because of some flat lighting in that scene, but that's kinda it... Hugo Strange looks awful. They removed the reflections from his glasses during that scene!

There are, like, a handful of textures that look better, and it seems like they're trying to make the game more colorful rather than the washed out grim bullshit it always has been

But you kinda can't do that, because it's the Arkham games, and like it or not that's literally their entire aesthetic. You can't split that difference

The only truly marked improvements are some real-time shadows where there didn't used to be shadows and the use of some of the Arkham Knight water-on-the-cape tech, but the rest just looks worse

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    So it seems like the reason the remasters aren't on PC is definitely cause any half-decent PC will make those games look better than the remasters

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    And here I was thinking that these remasters would be ports of the old PC versions...

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    So it seems like the reason the remasters aren't on PC is definitely cause any half-decent PC will make those games look better than the remasters
    that reminds me of the Doom BFG Edition. It was supposed to be an upscale version of the console iteration of the game, so it looks good on those. But then they ported to PC, and it still looks shittier than the regular Doom 3 iteration because PCs already ran these games really well with all the eye candy turned on that the consoles never got.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Wow, yeah, those remasters look like shit.

And it's not a good sign that every time they show both versions moving at the same time, the remasters are choppy as fuck.

I was disappointed they weren't including Arkham Origins (since it had a good story and the best designs, and they could have fixed the bugs), but now I doubt I'll pick them up at all.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I feel like Rebirth is already off to a bad start and ripe for future retconning purely because they've lumbered Superman with a wife and kid.

• Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    Keith wrote: »
    Wow, yeah, those remasters look like shit.

And it's not a good sign that every time they show both versions moving at the same time, the remasters are choppy as fuck.

I was disappointed they weren't including Arkham Origins (since it had a good story and the best designs, and they could have fixed the bugs), but now I doubt I'll pick them up at all.

tbf, the choppiness of the remasters is likely a result of the footage being from the trailer and not captured directly from their own machine like the original footage is

• Options
    I feel like Rebirth is already off to a bad start and ripe for future retconning purely because they've lumbered Superman with a wife and kid.

Nah. They realized their "no marriages/family" thing was a mistake

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    The more I think about it

The more I actually super love the narrative of
    Wally West as the face of the real DC Universe ushering in the revelation that the arbiter of DC's grimmest and darkest bullshit ever is Doctor Manhattan.

Like obviously the real persons responsible for it are still in power in the real world so who knows if it will shake out at all

But the story of Wally and the old, fun, heroic DCU realizing they've been tricked and corrupted by the comic that started the whole downward spiral of grim nonsense is pretty dang entertaining to me

This is neat and terrifying

• Options
    So is this stupid Rebirth shit gonna mess with all the promising-sounding relaunches, or is it all limited to the event

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    So is this stupid Rebirth shit gonna mess with all the promising-sounding relaunches, or is it all limited to the event

The Rebirth leads into those, I think.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    So I guess I'm reading DC again.

This sounds like JUST the right amount of insanity.

• Options

It's the precursor to all the relaunches

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    All DC titles being 3 bucks is nice I will say.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular

Beast Boy's and Starfire's costumes are a little busy but these don't look bad

• Options
    I bet that concept art looks better than whatever art style will be in the actual books

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I bet that concept art looks better than whatever art style will be in the actual books

Well, that's the artist on the book doing the designs

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    EDIT: Oh wait, that's not Starfire.

I like Raven and Robin's costumes a lot.

Starfire's is...pretty typical? At least it doesn't make me angry. And I actually really like her casual outfit.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    is voodoo getting a book again in this relaunch

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Has this always pretty much been the Teen Titans lineup or did the cartoons' popularity lock them into it like Guardians of the Galaxy

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Why the heck isn't beast boy's costume purple

I object

• Options
    Has this always pretty much been the Teen Titans lineup or did the cartoons' popularity lock them into it like Guardians of the Galaxy

New Teen Titans from the 80s (the most popular run) was Robin, Kid Flash, Beast Boy, Raven, Starfire, and Cyborg

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

I object

Because he's not a spider-man villain

• Options
    Well, Starfire's costume couldn't be any worse, so that's an improvement

And is that Damian as Robin? If so: nice. If not: why

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Fearghaill wrote: »

I object

Because he's not a spider-man villain

When you think about it, though, Beast Boy would be the ur-Spider-Man villain

He can transform into like 2/3 of that roster!

Etchwarts on
  • Options
    Olivaw wrote: »

Yes it's Damian

• Options
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »

Yes it's Damian

Okay that's great

Damian interacting with anyone makes me happy

Damian leading the Teen Titans is inspired

Has that happened before, I wouldn't know, I haven't read DC in forever (after Marvel Unlimited it's so hard to even justify buying individual issues digitally...)

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    The reason why Damian is leading is amazing
    He just turned 13, so he is officially a teen.

He would have taken over years ago but he wasn't a teen. Had to wait for proper order.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    One thing that I find hilarious about how people are reacting to the Rebirth special is...
    ...the uproar about Wally being in a Kid Flash suit. I don't think they realized that this is meant to be a sign of the pre-to-post FP conversion happening to Wally, handwaving his absence in the N52 as part of what happened in Titans Hunt. I'm glad that he was able to hold onto his pre-FP memories long enough to fill Barry in so that when the temporal rewrite completely works (if it does), there's still a second-hand account of what happened before to go along with Pre-FP Superman and Lois' knowledge. I wonder by the way if they'll tie in N52 Bart's first suit to Wally's via some sort of Speed Force link seeing as they share the same big red lightning bolt.

EOd52vz.jpg

This discussion has been closed.