As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TV]Thread: Life Advice: Listen to AJ. He is the Light

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I really liked how (season 4 spoilers)
    Zaheer was portrayed as a person, with a coherent political philosophy, friends, and a sweet romantic relationship. He was wrong, and he had to be stopped, but you could see where he was coming from. He was even able to look back on his past actions and realize what he did wound up doing the exact opposite of his goals without going to the villain standby "THIS IS ALL THE HEROES FAULT!".

It's pretty unusual in a kids show villain!

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Person of Interest is real good, man.

Yes it is

I really want Netflix to put the final season up ASAP

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I've been watching the Seinfeld reunion season of Curb Your Enthusiasm again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktZde2tEK1Y

I forgot that the way they handle "the Michael Richards problem" is incredible

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Walker Stalker Con Atlanta on Halloween weekend is fucking stacked with huge guests. The biggest are Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Norman Reedus, Robert Englund, and Ron Perlman, and it's Morgan's first ever convention.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Of course Henry Rollins' character on Korra is an anarchist

Henry Rollins was once a guest judge on RuPaul's Drag Race

It was delightful

• Options
    DimosarDimosar I am the Brain Genius Registered User regular
    Rollins is easily the best LoK villain

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    So Atlanta premieres tonight! Are there any options for us cordcutters?

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Shit! I need to set my DVR

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2016
    Oh yeah... I can do that from the app on my phone! Yay cords!

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Jimothy wrote: »
    So Atlanta premieres tonight! Are there any options for us cordcutters?

It's on FXX so if you want to watch it (legally) you'd have to buy a season pass (or per episode) from itunes/amazon. That's how I watch stuff that I want to watch as it airs that is on those networks, like Walking Dead, and well, actually Walking Dead is the only one left now that Mad Men and all that stuff is off the air.

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Shit I really need to get around to watching Korra, don't I?

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

Yes it is

Yeah, we're only midway through the second season
    Where they more-or-less wrapped up the 'man in the suit' and 'what's up with Reese's former partner' storylines basically at once

it was super good!

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    spono wrote: »

It's OK

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Atlanta is about a poor black millennial working at a kiosk in an airport...

I hope this doesn't make me cry a lot

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    spono wrote: »

what are you waiting for??

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

Yes it is

Yeah, we're only midway through the second season
    Where they more-or-less wrapped up the 'man in the suit' and 'what's up with Reese's former partner' storylines basically at once

it was super good!

I envy you.

Going through all that for the first time was a blast.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    NeoToma wrote: »
    Atlanta is about a poor black millennial working at a kiosk in an airport...

I hope this doesn't make me cry a lot

He's a millennial so I'm sure he's RUINING THIS COUNTRY

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I've been watching old X-Files and got to one with a serial killer. Local cops are talking about the FBI profile and Mulder asks a question and gets ridiculed.

I'm just like, "Yo local idiot cops. Mulder's entire claim to fame is coming up with an FBI profile that directly lead him to arresting a serial killer. Maybe shut the hell up and listen to the guy?"

But then the shows writers also forgot about this background too.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Remember how Mulder apparently was more afraid of fire than anything else in the world? So much so that even seeing it would reduce him to a shivering wreck?

Yeah, me either.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I watched a couple seasons of x-files earlier this year for the first time

I really liked a lot of individual episodes but found that as they built up it got really...

Basically at some point Scully was a complete moron

any one time would be understandable, but her refusal to accept anything weird became completely unacceptable after 50 times

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I watched an episode of X-files recently and it really made Mulder and Scully look like a couple of dicks, like a small town sheriff gets axe murdered and so Mulder and Scully go with the deputy to the local crazed hillbilly murderfarm and the deputy is like "here I brought you guys bulletproof vests" and they roll their eyes at him all like "okay but no thanks Rambo" and then they hang back and watch while the deputy goes up to the front door and gets immediately axe murdered and they go like "huh, would you look at that"

Like I guess they didn't actually need the vests because it's all axemurder but why would you ever assume that the crazed hillbillies living in this murderfarm aren't armed to the teeth with numerous firearms

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    I really appreciate the Darin Morgan episodes flipping the script and making Mulder the object of the ridicule.

Though I still maintain at least a third of the episodes should have dealt with hoaxes.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I watched a couple seasons of x-files earlier this year for the first time

I really liked a lot of individual episodes but found that as they built up it got really...

Basically at some point Scully was a complete moron

any one time would be understandable, but her refusal to accept anything weird became completely unacceptable after 50 times

See this is why Star Trek Next Gen is so good. Crusher had a dream once and Picard immediately calls red alert and gets everyone together because they have seen way to much wild shit to not be wary.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    Remember how Mulder apparently was more afraid of fire than anything else in the world? So much so that even seeing it would reduce him to a shivering wreck?

Yeah, me either.
    Ah yes, I see you've been reading my Martian ManMulder fanfic

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Second best moment of the X-Files.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8Mh7Tcsh0s

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Dimosar wrote: »
    Rollins is easily the best LoK villain

I like the "is" instead of "plays".

Like season 3 is a documentary.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »

Yeah, me either.

Yes, because it's got Mark Sheppard as a fire controlling smart mouthed bad guy.
    Proto-Crowley!

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Atlanta was very good

It's super confident right out of the gate, which I'm sure is a lot of what was worked on in the what, 3 years they've been working on it?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Dug Atlanta. Slyly funny. Nice to see "perky" Glover again. In for the long haul.

Queen Sugar seems super solid, too, but it's really introspective and quiet, like Rectify, and I'm too sleepy for that tonight.

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qaqwio0bbG4

FX put the first ep of Atlanta on YouTube

It's funny!

Not really a comedy, not that it needs to be, but I'm glad Glover is funny again. It's interesting besides that though

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    My roommate & I are making our way through the second season of The Last Man on Earth and when I grow up I want to be Gail.

LMOE_212_Wine_Pour-v1-1.gif

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Gail is the best.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Finally started watching Stranger Things.

Episode 1 Impressions are, I like it.
    The girl is the police chief's daughter right?

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    We're about halfway through season 2 of Penny Dreadful

Lord it is not good.

But we're still watching it.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    We're about halfway through season 2 of Penny Dreadful

Lord it is not good.

But we're still watching it.

I didn't like season 2 much at all

Season 3 is a marked improvement in basically every way, if that's any consolation

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I think I may have actually liked Season 2 more than I did Season 1.

That might be a freshness of memory issue though.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Me and Mrs chilla fell off penny dreadful really hard

I loved the performances and the setup and then felt like it just went nowhere

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    I think I made it halfway through season 2 about a month ago. And it wasn't doing much for me. Ill get around to finishing it at some point, but it definitely isn't a priority.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I definitely like the head viallin in season 2 more.

but all their storylines feel like they just peter out and never adequately intermingle enough to bother with even having half of them

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Last night I got to the good part of the most recent season of Teen Wolf.

Now if you're not a Teen Wolf watcher, this might not make a lot of sense to you, but essentially, somewhere in the middle of every season of Teen Wolf there's a two-part episode where everything comes together beautifully and a bunch of really neat shit happens. It's why I'm still watching this show, which has honestly been downhill since season two probably (I do still heartily recommend the first three seasons). Most shows would do this as like, a finale, but not Teen Wolf. They have disappointing finales instead.

For those of you who are not planning on watching this at any point, here's a brief description of what happens in that two part episode.
    The whole gang pack is back together, except for Lydia, who is locked up in Eichen House, the show's Arkham Asylum equivalent. The pack has been told that the doctors there are planning on performing an operation that will kill her (it's a lobotomy), and if she dies, her banshee scream could kill everyone in the building.

So it's a heist episode.

The one human member of the pack, Stiles, has stolen a keycard for accessing the ward that Lydia is kept in. He's the only one who can get in that ward, because its walls are reinforced with mountain ash, which is repellent to all werewolf types. Unfortunately, the keycard has been deactivated, so the only way it will work is if he uses during a brownout, during a five minute long system reboot.

So the Kitsune and the Werecoyote are going to sneak into the electrical room in order to cause a five minute long brownout. Kitsune have a sympathetic relationship with electricity, so if she touches the right cables she should be able to cause everything to go out (or potentially overload the system and fry everyone inside - she's never actually done this successfully before).

Meanwhile, the police deputy who is secretly a hellhound is going to smuggle in Stiles, along with Scott (the pack alpha) and his wereson (not his actual son, just a dumb freshman he turned). He's driving the police van, and the boys are hidden in bodybags, as the morgue will give them clear access to the ward where Lydia is kept.

Everything's in place fairly successfully, the kitsune triggers the brownout but overloads herself a bit in the process, and the boys quickly discover that the card reader has been removed from the lock. Someone anticipated their plan! Scott and his wereson aren't strong enough to open it without pushing themselves into a frothy rage, so Scott punches his wereson while his wereson talks about that time that he tried to kill him, and they manage to rip the door off the hinges.

Stiles gets in, but as he's trying to free Lydia her sadistic doctor shows up and she tells him to hide. She clearly has a partial lobotomy already, and there's a giant ass drill sitting on the bedside table.

And that's when the chimeras show up.

Chimeras are ordinary humans who have had their body parts replaced with (generally the thematically appropriate) the body parts of supernatural creatures. It's a high risk procedure, but it can also by lifesaving. They're lead by a psychopath who Scott used to be friends with, and who spent last seasoning poisoning Scott's inhaler with wolfsbane to try to take control of his pack.

The chimeras have no problem with the mountain ash, and they try to pick a fight with the doctor. The doctor puts the lobotomy drill through one of their legs and escapes to his secret sewer lab with an unconscious Lydia, still intending to perform the operation that will cause her nuclear banshee scream (he doesn't know it will - he's trying to use her powers to identify who is the host of the historic Beast of Gevaudan, which has a new host in town).

Stiles calls a truce with the leader of the chimeras while the rest of them slink off to somewhere else. They work together to track down where Lydia has been taken. Meanwhile, Scott and his wereson find the deputy who is secretly a hellhound (and thus prophesied to take out the Beast of Gevaudan, with an admittedly high amount of collateral damage), and by spraying cleaning chemicals through a lighter at him, get him to transform. He manages to burn the mountain ash out of the walls, allowing them all to keep hunting for Lydia.

Stiles finds Lydia first, seconds after she has hyperconcentrated her banshee scream to blow off the left side of the doctor's head. He is very dead. They meet up with Scott and Deputy Hellhound while the leader of the Chimeras steals a bunch of the doctor's shit for his own sinister purposes.

That's probably only half of what happens, honestly. There are like a dozen more fights and a few more near death incidents, including someone shoving a syringe full of mistletoe into a lobotomy wound (this is a curative measure). I love this dumb show sometimes.

Straightzi on
This discussion has been closed.