As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is the Dawning of the Age of [X-Men: Apocalypse]

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    f81.jpg?619

look at this guy

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I saw this today.

On the upside I don't think anyone will say that they handled any character badly because there was practically no character development in the entire film.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Some more spoilery thoughts.
    The beginning is just straight up bad, it's incredibly corny and makes zero sense. And then everything up to the end just kind of muddles along with all the main characters very separated which makes it all pretty boring. The ending scene I thought was some what fun though? But the background behind it was pretty dull.

I saw someone make the rather astute point that the first two movies worked because of the raven/professor/magneto dynamic and when they actually argue and interact. And when that happens, they are good moments in the film, but the majority of the film that just doesn't happen and it's boring and rubbish. Jean and Scott meeting is flat out bad writing, and any characterisation from the baddies except for magneto is barely there.

And Hugh Jackman's cameo was just bad, he looks, really, really dumb and it doesn't really serve the plot very much at all.

Blake T on
  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    As i said in another thread:
    Magneto's family death scene is completely absurd, and ruins entire movie from that moment.

5+/10, defintiely the weakest movie of the trilogy.

• Options
    I thought it was a shame,
    I liked the setup, trying to show that he's moved on.

Accidental death and rage part was pretty terrible though.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    So are third movies in this franchise cursed? I guess we'd need a third trilogy to really establish if it's a trend.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    So are third movies in this franchise cursed? I guess we'd need a third trilogy to really establish if it's a trend.

But then entire third trilogy would be terrible!

• Options
    Asthariel wrote: »

Possibly. We won't know until it happens. That's the exciting thing about science.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

There was actually a really good joke about this in the movie (not really spoilers)
    Jean, Kurt and Scott leave the cinema, having just watched Return of the Jedi where the following conversation happens.

Empire was the best, it was so dark and edgy.

No the first was the best, it started it all.

Lets all agree that the third movies are always the worst.

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »

There was actually a really good joke about this in the movie (not really spoilers)
    Jean, Kurt and Scott leave the cinema, having just watched Return of the Jedi where the following conversation happens.

Empire was the best, it was so dark and edgy.

No the first was the best, it started it all.

Lets all agree that the third movies are always the worst.

Well, yeah, but it becomes sad when you realize that it was supposed to be a joke about Last Bastion... and it became a joke about Apocalypse too.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I love it.

They've done a bunch of good weird promo stuff for this flick.

They had a George Takei narrated parody of In Search of... about Apocalypse earlier too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQMD3xgXbXQ

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    like, even if the movie turns out to be a dud, all the decade trappings and promotion will still make this movie worth it for me

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular

This is apparently more than she gets to work with in the film, if what I'm hearing is correct

Now I just feel like the film is superfluous

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I wanted to keep my mouth shut but since other people are already laying into the film

I'm not sure I enjoyed this more than X-Men: The Last Stand

• Options
    I wanted to keep my mouth shut but since other people are already laying into the film

Context is important here

How well did you enjoy The Last Stand?

Personally I think it's kind of underrated but still not very good (it is nowhere near the level of bad of Origins: Wolverine)

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    until days of future past, all the x-men movies, even the last stand were pretty bad movies with cool scenes sprinkled about

like, the best magneto bit ever is in the last stand

But also the worst Magneto bit

So I think it's a wash

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

Context is important here

How well did you enjoy The Last Stand?

Personally I think it's kind of underrated but still not very good (it is nowhere near the level of bad of Origins: Wolverine)

Origins is at least funny-stupid

Last Stand is just stupid

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    until days of future past, all the x-men movies, even the last stand were pretty bad movies with cool scenes sprinkled about

So I think it's a wash

Not just bits.

Magneto in Last Stand is completely worthless with the exception of the tattoo bit.

I abandons Mystique! He sends mutants to die because he doesn't value their lives!

Fuck Last Stand Magneto!

Quire.jpg
  • Options

So I think it's a wash

Not just bits.

Magneto in Last Stand is completely worthless with the exception of the tattoo bit.

I abandons Mystique! He sends mutants to die because he doesn't value their lives!

Fuck Last Stand Magneto!

I mean

He wants Rogue to unwillingly die in his place in the first movie

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

So I think it's a wash

Not just bits.

Fuck Last Stand Magneto!

I mean

He wants Rogue to unwillingly die in his place in the first movie

Movie Magneto has never been anything but a shitty hypocrite in the movies but Last Stand takes it to far. Magneto seems at least a little apologetic Rogue but is positively GLEEFUL at the chance to get a bunch of his follows killed for nothing. He and Pyro could have destroyed those soldiers.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Well find out when Wolverine 2 hits next year.

• Options

This is apparently more than she gets to work with in the film, if what I'm hearing is correct

Now I just feel like the film is superfluous

By like an order of ten.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I enjoy individual parts of last stand, but viewed entire it's overly long and has a lot of dull stretches

Trying to combine two of the biggest x men story arcs in one film wasn't a great choice

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Also it always seemed kinda obvious to me that jubilee was included as a gag/cameo, but I guess it'd be easy to fold her into a young/new mutants film

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    Also it always seemed kinda obvious to me that jubilee was included as a gag/cameo, but I guess it'd be easy to fold her into a young/new mutants film

Jubilee is my favorite member of the X-Men, and she'd already been held back as a silent background extra (with lines in deleted scenes only)

I was hoping they'd turn it around but

Guess not really

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    They announced Jubilee with the rest of the cast and had her in trailers and promo photos

Really the only thing that pointed at her being a glorified cameo was when the team shots started coming out and she was nowhere to be found

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

Jubilee is my favorite member of the X-Men, and she'd already been held back as a silent background extra (with lines in deleted scenes only)

I was hoping they'd turn it around but

Guess not really

You would like Jubilee the best...
    Just kidding, Jubilee is totally fine.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I mean I like her too, but she basically wasn't in the trailers and only popped up in the more offbeat promo stuff, so

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular

omg so 80s

Stan Lee's line at the end there is pretty great

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I remember thinking for a long time that Dazzler and Jubilee were the same character but with different names.

Little did I know Dazzler's super power was being the living embodiment of butt rock, and Jubilee was the living embodiment of an 80s light show.

• Options
    Dazzler is the living embodiment of disco how dare you

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    why do the X-movies keep wasting their female characters

• Options
    why do the X-movies keep wasting their female characters
    I really hope Laura joining will fix this problem if only because Wolverine is easily the biggest draw they have and having her fill that role would give her a better shot

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    they'd need to get rid of Professor X and Magneto too

when the movies aren't about Wolverine, they're about the tragic Xavier-Magneto bromance

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Bryan Singer just needs to go do something else

• Options
    I think they kinda have to at this point

Like trying to pass off McAvoy and Fassbender as dudes in their mid 50s or so in Apocalypse is already a bit much

Having them be in their 60s in whatever the 90s film will be is just ridiculous short of aging them up with make up and shit

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Like trying to pass off McAvoy and Fassbender as dudes in their mid 50s or so in Apocalypse is already a bit much

Having them be in their 60s in whatever the 90s film will be is just ridiculous short of aging them up with make up and shit

If only we knew what they looked like when they were older!

If only we had actors who looked like that!

DAMMIT!!!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »

If only we knew what they looked like when they were older!

If only we had actors who looked like that!

DAMMIT!!!
    Both McKellan and Stewart have said they're pretty done with the franchise, with Wolverine 3 being Stewart's final movie, and if their choices are De-emphasize Xavier and Erik or start slathering them in make up to look like other actors they should do the first thing

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Honestly I hope they continue to jump a decade with every movie, despite only 2-3 years passing in real-time and the characters clearing aging only a very little if at all. And I hope they do not acknowledge this in universe at all. Because comic books

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac