As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Movies] Holy shit! They're Making a BFG Movie?

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Man, Creed
    I forgot how great the Rocky subplot was

"Rocky gets cancer" sounds like the most eye-rolly thing possible, but he sells it like crazy!

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Man, Creed

"Rocky gets cancer" sounds like the most eye-rolly thing possible, but he sells it like crazy!

It's one of very few times that I haven't written such a plot off as a cheap ploy for emotion

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Man, Creed

It's one of very few times that I haven't written such a plot off as a cheap ploy for emotion
    Stallone basically lives in that character, so absolutely everything he says and does reads as totally genuine

Which helps a lot to sell that entire sub-plot

The moment where Adonis walks away from him is the best example I can think of. I haven't checked to see if that was improv at all, but I'm almost certain it was, and it's perfect

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Man, Creed

Stallone basically lives in that character, so absolutely everything he says and does reads as totally genuine

Which helps a lot to sell that entire sub-plot

The moment where Adonis walks away from him is the best example I can think of. I haven't checked to see if that was improv at all, but I'm almost certain it was, and it's perfect
    Yeah, my roommate and I were talking about that some

Like, Rocky's initial reaction is kind of frustrating

But then of course, it's also the most in character thing he could have done

It feels thoroughly authentic at every step

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    australian netflix keeps on teasing me because it's put up a documentary on the making of Creed, but still won't put the bloody film up itself

edit: it's done the same thing with foxcatcher as well.

Lalabox on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    The Rock is going to star in The Hanson Detective, an adaptation of the Robert Ludlum novel that is designed to launch the, sigh, Robert Ludlum Cinematic Universe.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Mr. G wrote: »

Didn't the dude openly vilify the character and express an intense disinterest in doing anything further with the franchise after Spectre got released?

edit: oh ok yeah it mentions that in the article

Veldrin on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    The Rock is going to star in The Hanson Detective, an adaptation of the Robert Ludlum novel that is designed to launch the, sigh, Robert Ludlum Cinematic Universe.

who is robert ludlum

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

who is robert ludlum
    Creator of Jason Bourne and other similar military novels

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

who is robert ludlum

Author of a bunch of thrillers/spy stories/etc.

Jason Bourne for example.

• Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    Green Room uses the violence pretty cleverly
    There's really only 2 incidents of very intense, well lit, gore. They happen one after the other and are the first two bits of real violence we see. That makes you on egde for the rest of the damn movie, it never reaches the same intensity, the other shots have framed out the worst or are dimly lit, because it does not need to, the horror of that first bit of violence feeds the tension for the rest of the movie

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    I saw Green Room with my mom on Mother's Day

when that first bit of real serious violence happened half our theatre left

Mom and I rolled our eyes and went "fuckin' pussies" under our breath

my mom is great

my mom can deal with intense violence as long as its not actually torture, that really bothers her

she is a trooper during horror movies

My mom got scared during the scene in Disney's Beauty and the Beast when Belle is being chased by wolves.

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

Even if it's not true, I don't think it'd be the worst thing for Daniel Craig to move on to something else.

I think he's actually a pretty good actor, but Spectre made it pretty clear that at this point the Bond franchise isn't that really interested in diverting from formula, and I can't blame the dude if he wants to move on to something else.

That being said; it will never cease to irritate me that both Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig apparently detest James Bond with a burning passion, despite being paid millions of dollars to drink martinis and beat people up.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Well the character is a douchebag. I enjoy watching the films, even the older ones where Bond slaps women and stuff, but it's absolutely understandable that a feminist would rather not play that character regardless of the pay offered.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Sylvester Stallone should have won Best Supporting

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

who is robert ludlum

Author of a bunch of thrillers/spy stories/etc.

Jason Bourne for example.

so The Rock, Jason Bourne and... i dunno, Alex Cross team up to fight

Angry White Suit-Wearing Guy in a darkened room with computer screens #5? Played by Kevin Spacey probably?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    So. Young actors to take over as Bond, go!

Michael B. Jordan?

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I'm up for casting Michael B. Jordan in pretty much every movie

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Andrew Garfield

I like that guy and he got a raw deal in those crappy spider-man movies, plus he's british

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    Do you have to like a character to enjoy playing them or give a good performance though?

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Andrew Garfield

I like that guy and he got a raw deal in those crappy spider-man movies, plus he's british

I hear that dude just hates Mondays.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    FAQ wrote: »
    Do you have to like a character to enjoy playing them or give a good performance though?
    No but I can see why with Bond it would chafe

Like with your Walter Whites or what have you, they aren't, intentionally at least, portrayed in a positive light to the audience

James Bond is one of the more prominent heroic figures of the last century or so and is an icon so I can see why playing him if you really dislike his character would bug Craig

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Andrew Garfield

I hear that dude just hates Mondays.

He's got a soft spot for Italian food though

and Halloween stores in January

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Daisy Ridley for James Bond.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Betting was suspended on Tom Hiddleston a few days ago after a "single large sum" was placed which spooked all the bookies. He was the favourite before that but they've cut everyone off now.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    I would watch the shit out of Tom Hiddleston as James Bond

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Hiddleston would be fun

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular

You should check out the Night Manager

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Hermano wrote: »

I have been meaning to. I hear nothing but excellent things

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

Yup, it's basically a 6 hour audition tape for Bond and is also really really good in its own right.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular

Michael B. Jordan?

No Americans thanks

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    How about... Alicia Vikander as the next Bond?

• Options
    I'm also okay with casting Vikander in everything

Michael B. Jordan?

No Americans thanks

hey, didn't you see Ghost in the Shell

everyone's gonna be American

we're making Invictus with Matt Damon again, but he's playing Mandela

• Options
    If you wanna do a lady it should at least be a british lady

And as much as I like Emily Blunt and Daisy Ridley I've seen them fancast in everything lately

what about

Rosamund Pike

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Tilda Swinton.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Helen Mirren

• Options
    FAQ wrote: »
    No but I can see why with Bond it would chafe

Like with your Walter Whites or what have you, they aren't, intentionally at least, portrayed in a positive light to the audience

James Bond is one of the more prominent heroic figures of the last century or so and is an icon so I can see why playing him if you really dislike his character would bug Craig

I don't disagree with this sentiment.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.