As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

South 2017 [Hotel] Partners and Hotel Discussion

• Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Just did La Quinta at $178/night after taxes

Josh5890 on
    This space for rent
  • OpSteelOpSteel neighbor of the village pindiot Fort Worth TEXASRegistered User regular
    Stayed at the Menger last year. It is connected to the mall and easy to just cut through on the river walk. At $127 a night, it is great.

• TektonikkTektonikk PAX South/West Console Tournament Manager Registered User regular
    Has anyone had issues with the OnPeak system not giving confirmation emails? I put my reservation through but have yet to receive an email, I hope everything is all good =/

• emarecksaykayemarecksaykay Registered User regular
    Any hotel along the Riverwalk is going to be good times. All the great food is along there and even the farther hotels are a pretty short walk to the convention center. The closer to the convention center your hotel room, the easier it is to drop off stuff you don't want to be carrying around all day, but San Antonio is a very walkable city in my experience so probably any hotel will do.

I went to both of the first two PAX Souths, and I really do look forward to PAX South now maybe more than any other. First year I had no idea where the hotels were in relation to the convention center and booked a place kind of far, but it was no problem at all, and honestly it made us find a really great restaurant we ate at almost every night that year and again this past South. It's a great city, really great food, and it's PAX so what more do you want?

-mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
    (You just say the letters)
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Tektonikk wrote: »
    Has anyone had issues with the OnPeak system not giving confirmation emails? I put my reservation through but have yet to receive an email, I hope everything is all good =/
    OnPeak is notoriously slow with their confirmation emails.

• MurfMurf Registered User regular
    Got best western suites 119 nite 12.95/day parking. Got it before bought the badges though.

• BinaryTBBinaryTB Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    OnPeak rates were actually cheaper than AAA rates this year. That was a pleasant surprise. I hope this group rate includes breakfast, I don't know if all group rates do. Anybody know for sure?

Also, I'm still waiting on my confirmation email as well, so you're not alone.

BinaryTB on
    It probably depends on the hotel. You would likely have to check with onpeak or the hotel group reservation manager

• hadiwisthadiwist Nashville, TNRegistered User regular
    I never got an Onpeak email, but if you go back to Onpeak and log in, click 'View Details, Make changes, or cancel,' and then click 'Update' without changing anything, it should send the confirmation email. Or, you can call them during business hours and they can resend it.

• shimwoodshimwood Registered User regular
    OpSteel wrote: »
    Stayed at the Menger last year. It is connected to the mall and easy to just cut through on the river walk. At $127 a night, it is great.

I booked two rooms here this year so I look forward to checking it out.

khd33hubozxv.png
  • LordFizzlebeefLordFizzlebeef Registered User regular
    Made a reservation at the La Quinta this year, because it looks like everybody snapped up the Mengar Hotel rooms before I got here.

Made a reservation at the La Quinta this year, because it looks like everybody snapped up the Mengar Hotel rooms before I got here.

You could always try booking directly through their website for a higher rate, but the LaQuinta wasn't too bad when I stayed there last year.

khd33hubozxv.png
  • SerpicoBCSerpicoBC Registered User regular
    I'm going to try that, @hadiwist, but I can't even log in right now. Frustrating stuff.

• SparklingCactusSparklingCactus Registered User regular
    I've stayed at both the Contessa and the Marriott riverwalk. Both have pros and cons.

Marriott is right across the street and is really convenient as far as walking back and forth to the room is concerned. The room is almost entirely bed though, there's very little room. If you're just sleeping it's great, if you have people coming to hang out or have a larger group it feels tiny.

Contessa is a farther walk [just a few mins, and I'm a slow walker] but the rooms all have a huge living room attached to them. I go to pax with a group of 8 and it's awesome having a separate room where we can all hang out. Seriously it's huge, all 8 large males can comfortably hang out in the room and play cards and watch tv at the same time. We ended up booking 3 Contessa rooms this year, I highly recommend it.

• xThanatoSxxThanatoSx Registered User regular
    My wife and I stayed at the Riverwalk Springhill Marriott this last year. Was about a 1/4 mile walk to the convention center, no complaints about the room.

Anyone stay at the Best Western Plus Sunset suites last time? Got a room there, looks to only be a block away or so. 12.95/day parking

• The AviatrixThe Aviatrix Registered User regular
    Don't feel bad about not going to the Menger.
    It's where I stayed last year, and I was really hoping that there'd be a hotel review thread, but I never saw one pop up.

My experience at the Menger:
    My brother booked the room, but I got there early with another in my party. We asked if I could check in to put our bags away, without having the full charge put on my card. I expected a no, but was pleasantly surprised when they told me yes. They asked for my card for a $50 hold for incidentals. We asked 3 times for verification: it would only be $50 and not the full cost of the room. In that conversation, I even said that I wouldn't be able to afford food if the full room was placed on my card. They assured me it would be $50. They put a hold for the entire amount of the room. In order to get the hold taken off, we had to go down to the front desk on two separate days. The first day they "moved" the hold to my brother's card - yet it was still on mine. I was told it'd be gone by the next morning. I waited until the following night. There I waited 2 hours for them to send a fax (seriously, to send a fax). I was unable to buy any of the games I wanted at PAX because it took until Sunday for the hold to come off (and the games were sold out) and I had to have my group cover me for food Thursday to Saturday.

When checking in, I asked if we had a roll away bed. They told me no, so I asked if it'd be possible to get one, since the group checking in next to me stated that they were not going to need their roll away bed. They said they'd look into it. When my brother got there several hours later... it turned out he had booked a roll away bed. He had to go to the desk with a copy of his reservation. Luckily, they still had a bed available and it showed up while we went out for dinner.

Cleanliness in the Menger was not ideal. Our glasses were VERY obviously filthy. In an attempt to get clean glasses, one member chose to leave the room with water in the glasses - so they would be noticed as out of place and used. We got new glasses. But one had an oil on it and two... Had pink strawberry gunk on them. Needless to say, we didn't bother with the glasses after that. There was also pink, strawberry stuff on the door/wall... Not sure what happened... Nobody in our party had pink, strawberry stuff.
    The people in the room next to me also told me when they got into the room initially their ice bucket was filled with dirty water and had no bags.

My only positives about my experience at the Menger was the location and that they had free bottled water in the room. (There was a sign which clearly stated the water was free.)

It was, overall, my worst experience in a hotel to date.

So yea, I'd be happy to not stay there if I was you :P

(Not sure where I'm staying this year. My brother takes care of hotel reservations)

x5XpZBK.pngEz7XjRx.pngml9Z6gf.png
  • SpicyMeatsSpicyMeats Victoria BCRegistered User regular
    This year we booked through the holiday in express through there website directly. They have suites that are not over priced with 2 rooms. So of the 3 guys that are coming the snorers get the bedroom and i get the fold out couch.

Its the same place we stayed at for south 2015 and while its not crazy high end, its very nice for the price and the internet/breakfast is not awful.

qEGfoNG.png

• KcCrystalMGKcCrystalMG Registered User regular
    Last year me and a friend stayed at the Indigo at the alamo. It was a very nice and quiet place to stay with a great view of the Alamo and close to the river walk,

• LordFizzlebeefLordFizzlebeef Registered User regular
    @The Aviatrix Holy crap that sounds like a nightmare. Yeah my stay was fairly painless last year. 3 people in a room with 2 beds. No iced dirty water, no gunky glasses, no complimentary pink goo. I do remember not getting clean towels on one of the days, but that might have been our fault not theirs. With luck, the La Quinta is just as good if not better.

@LordFizzlebeef The LaQuinta is really nice. I think my only complaint was that the sofa bed in our room was less comfortable than just sleeping on the sofa itself. Our room was clean, our bathroom was clean and everyone was friendly. Breakfast was a bit disappointing some mornings, but you can always wake up early and go to the Denny's across the street.

khd33hubozxv.png
  • futilesfutiles Registered User regular
    We stayed at the Springhill Suites Riverwalk last year (maybe 3 blocks from the entrance?) and it was great, except the free breakfast was awful. Like, really bad. After day one, we did not go back for any of it again. (This is unusual in my experience with Marriotts, so, I did actually notify the company and spoke with the facility manager afterwards)

This year we are at the Fairfield Inn by the Alamo. $121/night/room. We needed 3 rooms, so, I am happy with that rate.

• ChargerHawkChargerHawk Registered User regular
    Anyone have any experience with the Courtyard by Marriott SA Riverwalk? This will be my first PAX South (went to Prime in '14) and my 3 buddies and I are pumped to go! Just wondering what experiences have been at this hotel if anyone stayed there in the past couple years. Thanks!

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Staying at the Best Western Sunset Suites-Riverwalk for the third time. Both previous years have been great. Price is not bad at all (not sure on the exact $$/night, since it's all bundled in with my flight via Priceline), room was comfortable, clean, and quiet. The free breakfast was excellent - they'd put out actual eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits & gravy, etc. in addition to just having the cereal and yogurt most hotels are willing to call good enough. Also, waffles shaped like Texas! It's not actually on the Riverwalk despite the name, though - it's about three blocks from the main convention center entrance. Not a bad walk at all, but just far enough that I wasn't popping back into my room during the day to drop stuff off.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • chellerschellers New HampshireRegistered User regular
    We're doing the Crockett again (3rd time). The first year was great. The second year we got a room with a much smaller bathroom and near the elevators, so ding ding ding. I'll call ahead this time to make sure we're far from them (and beg for a big bathroom). Overall great hotel, and wicked convenient location. Also has TX-shaped waffles. The first time, we did the breakfast, but the second time, I was sick so i skipped it everyday to sleep in. I love that the breakfast area can be used for gaming at night.

• GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular
    I've stayed at the Hyatt the last 2 years. While the price is higher than some, it's definitely a good hotel and right next to the entrances.

Staying at the Best Western Sunset Suites-Riverwalk for the third time. Both previous years have been great. Price is not bad at all (not sure on the exact $$/night, since it's all bundled in with my flight via Priceline), room was comfortable, clean, and quiet. The free breakfast was excellent - they'd put out actual eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits & gravy, etc. in addition to just having the cereal and yogurt most hotels are willing to call good enough. Also, waffles shaped like Texas! It's not actually on the Riverwalk despite the name, though - it's about three blocks from the main convention center entrance. Not a bad walk at all, but just far enough that I wasn't popping back into my room during the day to drop stuff off.

See ya there roomie! ;)

• CutrissCutriss El Bastardo Registered User regular
    Not that anyone has asked, but the Emily Morgan was great in 2015 and that's where we're staying again this year.

cMjZGw1.png
  • The PopeThe Pope Registered User regular
    Stayed at Drury Inn and Suites last year, it was ok but the hotel is a little dated. Everything was clean, but they used darker colors in the room, and the furnishings were kinda dated. They were doing renovations, maybe they'll be done by January and it will hopefully be more up to date then. There was an actual, honest to goodness pillar in my room though, not in the middle but not real close to a wall either. I don't think that will go away when they do the reno.

The room was well kept, and it was very quiet. The WiFi worked well (surprisingly), and they had free soda and popcorn (which was surprisingly good) until 10:00 at night. They also had free liquor of some kind, but I did not partake. They have a parking garage, I think it cost $16 a night. Staff was courteous and helpful. The room was listed at $!65 a night, but I didn't book through the PAX site because I wanted to deal with the hotel directly early on. Ended up being around $640 for three nights, I think.

It's in a good location right on the riverwalk, about 10-15 minutes walk from PAX. There were a few hobos standing around in the area though, up on street level. They didn't seem to be bothering anyone, but it was still weird. I had a balcony with a good view of the riverwalk, facing The Esquire.

All in all it was ok, but I'm staying at the Contessa this year. Someone from work just stayed there and had a good experience, but I've heard it's kinda noisy because all the rooms face an open atrium, and you get all the sound from the ground level. That shouldn't bother me, and all their rooms are suites with their own living room area. Plus the colors in the rooms look nice and bright, it will be a nice change from last year.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
    -- Vroomfondel
  • autumnaticautumnatic Registered User new member
    Don't feel bad about not going to the Menger.
    It's where I stayed last year, and I was really hoping that there'd be a hotel review thread, but I never saw one pop up.

My experience at the Menger:
    My brother booked the room, but I got there early with another in my party. We asked if I could check in to put our bags away, without having the full charge put on my card. I expected a no, but was pleasantly surprised when they told me yes. They asked for my card for a $50 hold for incidentals. We asked 3 times for verification: it would only be $50 and not the full cost of the room. In that conversation, I even said that I wouldn't be able to afford food if the full room was placed on my card. They assured me it would be $50. They put a hold for the entire amount of the room. In order to get the hold taken off, we had to go down to the front desk on two separate days. The first day they "moved" the hold to my brother's card - yet it was still on mine. I was told it'd be gone by the next morning. I waited until the following night. There I waited 2 hours for them to send a fax (seriously, to send a fax). I was unable to buy any of the games I wanted at PAX because it took until Sunday for the hold to come off (and the games were sold out) and I had to have my group cover me for food Thursday to Saturday.

When checking in, I asked if we had a roll away bed. They told me no, so I asked if it'd be possible to get one, since the group checking in next to me stated that they were not going to need their roll away bed. They said they'd look into it. When my brother got there several hours later... it turned out he had booked a roll away bed. He had to go to the desk with a copy of his reservation. Luckily, they still had a bed available and it showed up while we went out for dinner.

Cleanliness in the Menger was not ideal. Our glasses were VERY obviously filthy. In an attempt to get clean glasses, one member chose to leave the room with water in the glasses - so they would be noticed as out of place and used. We got new glasses. But one had an oil on it and two... Had pink strawberry gunk on them. Needless to say, we didn't bother with the glasses after that. There was also pink, strawberry stuff on the door/wall... Not sure what happened... Nobody in our party had pink, strawberry stuff.
    The people in the room next to me also told me when they got into the room initially their ice bucket was filled with dirty water and had no bags.

My only positives about my experience at the Menger was the location and that they had free bottled water in the room. (There was a sign which clearly stated the water was free.)

It was, overall, my worst experience in a hotel to date.

So yea, I'd be happy to not stay there if I was you :P

(Not sure where I'm staying this year. My brother takes care of hotel reservations)

I actually had a similarly bad experience at the menger last year. My bf and i booked strictly for the price, & we knew from the get go that it was an old hotel. However, upon getting to the room, we noticed a really nasty stale cigarette smoke smell. The smoke alarm was covered with a plastic grocery bad, so we can only assume the previous guests did that so they could smoke out the window. The bathroom pipes leaked. The tub seemed really small. The room felt really dirty. Overall, not the best experience, & most likely wouldn't stay there again. The only pro you get out of it is the location.

• LynbmwLynbmw Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Airbnb still has some houses for rent nearby. It will take a walk or Lyft/UBER to get to PAX but they're nice houses and condos. Some are leased hotel/condo rooms with pool tables, outdoor space, and balcony. Saw some for 90/per night, $125, $150, and several have three bedrooms. One even was an old restaurant or bar form years and years ago and has a large living area where people rent it for birthdays. I believe it has two or three rooms and beds. Pretty neat.

Lynbmw on
  • JordaineJordaine Registered User new member
    Hello everyone! Does anyone know when the hotels will charge the guarantees? (Usually one nights fare) I'm staying at the Drury Inn and Suites Riverwalk.

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    I've never had a hotel charge me before I've checked in when I've booked through OnPeak. They will charge you that one night if you cancel too close to the show though.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
    Some hotels will put a hold on your card a few days before your stay. It's up to the individual hotel though.

• JordaineJordaine Registered User new member
    Thanks for the replies!

• AggressAggress Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Cutriss wrote: »
    Not that anyone has asked, but the Emily Morgan was great in 2015 and that's where we're staying again this year.

Stayed there for the last two years since a buddy works there. Never a problem with the room or hotel. Riverwalk across the street and a nice 10/15 minute walk to PAX.

• Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    For those who stayed at La Quinta last year, how much did you pay in parking? I could've sworn I read somewhere a while back that it was $15/night but according to the website it costs $25/night + taxes

This space for rent
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    What is the best shuttle service to get from the airport?

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    chellers wrote: »
    We're doing the Crockett again (3rd time). The first year was great. The second year we got a room with a much smaller bathroom and near the elevators, so ding ding ding. I'll call ahead this time to make sure we're far from them (and beg for a big bathroom). Overall great hotel, and wicked convenient location. Also has TX-shaped waffles. The first time, we did the breakfast, but the second time, I was sick so i skipped it everyday to sleep in. I love that the breakfast area can be used for gaming at night.

I am thinking about Crockett for the atomosphere, but, if they have that elevator silliness, I think I will try someplace else.

• chellerschellers New HampshireRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I am thinking about Crockett for the atomosphere, but, if they have that elevator silliness, I think I will try someplace else.

Well my ex is staying at the Crockett, and I'll be staying at the Red Roof Inn unfortunately. The Crockett is good if you like to play games after PAX, they'll let you use the dining area as long as you clean up after yourself (don't ruin it for next year's batch). I'll let you know how the Red Roof Inn is, but I'm thinking nothing special... cheap though.

I used Uber to get dropped off at the airport and we took a taxi to the hotel last year.

This discussion has been closed.