As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[pbp] [IC] Urban Shadows: The Wizard is literally Harry Dresden

CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes RuleCapital WastelandRegistered User regular
edited May 2016 in Critical Failures
Urban Shadows is an Apocalypse World hack, where you play as a mover and shaker in a World of Darkness-esque city where different factions vie for control. Your character is aligned with one of these factions, but not tied to them. Allegiances shift and blur as debts are exchanged between characters, and no one is able to get what they want without getting their hands dirty.

Think The Wire, but Omar's a Werewolf.

The general mechanic is roll 2d6+STAT. On a 10+, you get what you want with minimal complications, 7-9 gives you a complication, and 6 or less means that I make a hard move from the GM's list. Hard moves make things Interesting (TM). Two things to keep in mind. a 6 or less doesn't mean you failed. It just means that a severe complication occured. So, generally speaking, when you get a 6 or less, just stop. Don't describe your failure (again, because you might not have actually failed!) or anything. That's my job. If you're in a scene where a 6 or less happened, treat it like a yellow light. You can still make a post, but try not to go too far ahead until I make my move.

For those who don't have the book, here's a link to the available archetypes and the basic moves. If you have the limited edition playbooks, I'll accept characters from that, too. I'm looking for four or five characters from at least three different factions. Also, I've got some alternative faction names, because saying "Mortality faction" over and over again feels... weird.

As for the city itself? Personally, I lean towards a fictional city, because if we were using a real city, I'd sort of feel obligated to do some research. So, in addition to each Archetypes' starting questions, please answer these as well.
1. What brought you here?
2. Who's an interesting NPC in the city?
3. What's an interesting place in the city?
4. What's a fascinating rumor you heard recently?

Once we get all the characters made, we can nail down a bit more of the specifics. If you've got any questions, I'll be around #PAUrbanShadows on SynIRC.

MORTALITY The Architects
Archetypes from Mortality live on the edge of mortal society, still connected to the rest of their Faction, the slumbering fools who don’t know about the supernatural world that surrounds them. With all their connections, these Archetypes are in too deep to ever go back to a mundane, normal life.
»The Aware
Inquisitive, resourceful, intuitive, lucky. The Aware is a mortal investigator who has come to see the supernatural world for what it really is. They understand humanity isn’t alone in the city and they’re entranced by the shadows.
»The Hunter
Dangerous, focused, deadly, solitary. The Hunter is a mortal who has mastered the art of the kill through intense training. They are direct and violent, never to be taken lightly.
»The Veteran
Experienced, tenacious, knowledgeable, clever. The Veteran is a has-been who uses their hard-won talents to remain relevant in city politics. They have a workspace in which they can create all manner of things that others might need.

NIGHT The Bloodmoon Syndicate
Archetypes from Night operate at the level of the street, contesting for territory, drugs, money, and blood. They are the things that go bump in the night, the monsters that live in the shadows of the city.
»The Spectre
Vengeful, alienated, incorporeal, alone. The Spectre is the ghost of someone who died, their spirit trapped on this side of eternity. They are an echo of what they once were, knowing only restlessness and loneliness.
»The Vamp
Seductive, merciless, eternal, hungry. The Vamp is a creature that must feed on humanity to survive. Their web draws in prey, linking them to their assets, minions, and debtors in order to keep their undead hunger satiated.
»The Wolf
Primal, unstoppable, brutal, unlucky. The Wolf is capable of transforming into a deadly werebeast when the moon rises into the sky. Little stands in their way, but they often find more trouble than they bargained for when they prowl the city’s streets.

POWER The Consilium Sapientis
Archetypes from Power see the truth behind the lies the city tells, the push and sway of politics that drive change amidst the concrete and darkness. They have access to power—great power—and many intend to use it to control the future of the city itself.
»The Oracle
Prophetic, blessed, cursed, intense. The Oracle is a seer, mystic, or psychic, gifted with sight beyond sight. They can see beyond the present, beyond this reality, but they cannot turn away, no matter how terrible their visions become.
»The Wizard
Powerful, dedicated, hermetic, strange. The Wizard relies on years of training to channel intense magics. With enough preparation, these mages can move mountains…or turn them to dust. When caught alone and unprepared, they are still painfully mortal.

WILD The Menagerie
Archetypes from Wild are foreign to these lands, touched and altered by forces beyond this reality. They have contracts and arrangements that bind them and give them power, ties to ancient and epic beings from beyond.
»The Fae
Fickle, enigmatic, cold, illogical. The Fae is a being from beyond this world or the offspring of a creature with ties to distant realities. They are able to draw upon the logic of their native world, tying themselves to oaths and promises in exchange for great power.
»The Tainted
Brutal, intense, callous, manipulative. The Tainted was a mortal who sold their soul in exchange for power, wealth, or security. They are of two worlds, torn between their human compassion and demonic obligations.

Capfalcon on

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Since I've been watching Supernatural somewhat recently, I'd be interested in playing a Hunter or Tainted. Will post something later.

Are you limiting people to the names the playbook makes you pick from or are you allowing custom names?

edit: leaning toward Hunter because

Le_ntInvYC4.jpg
    muscle cars

Egos on
  • Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Oh, yeah. I think all that stuff in the playbooks are nice suggestions, but feel free to run wild with the descriptions.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Oracle for sure.

• Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I'd be interested in playing, probably as a Specter.

Neaden on
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    I'd be interested! Initial thoughts are leaning towards Aware, but I could also do Wolf or Vamp.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    I think I covered all the questions (original and bonus) here, but let me know if there's anything you'd like expanded on.

Cat - Oracle
    The only child of wealthy and powerful parents, Cat never had to do anything... so they didn't. It was hard growing up bored and alone, but the drugs, alcohol, and sex helped. Cat was deep into a bottle of whiskey, trying to dull the throbbing pain they thought was from their latest tattoo session (a purple and orange Chinese dragon that wrapped around their right arm) when the first vision hit. The throbbing grew and grew until it felt like their skull was being crushed, then vanished. But before they could even sigh in relief the pain was replaced by the sight of their family house burning to the ground with their parents asleep inside it.

Cat passed out and the vision faded into a dream -- until they woke to a call from the police. Cat relives this night whenever the nightmares come, sometimes seeing the house burning, sometimes seeing their parents screaming, sometimes just watching themselves sleep.

It's hard to say whether the visions took Cat's identity or Cat gave it to them freely. Cat isn't their old name, nor is the shaved head, drab and ill-fitting clothing, and lack of gender identity their old look. Cat didn't give up their vices, though, they're just as fond of drugs, alcohol, and sex as they were before. The visions don't seem to mind -- it makes it easier for them to get in.

Some part of Cat still remembers what it was like to be part of a rich and powerful family, and that's what brought them to the city a month ago. They had a vision of a violent shift of the powerbases in the city though they're not yet sure whether they want to benefit from the shift, help with it, or merely observe.

Cat has made few friends, but one, Violet Preston, has become quite fond of them. Possibly because they buy all their drugs from her, possibly because the time they told her not to go to the Sepia Club it burned to the fucking ground with everyone inside it. Now she and Cat spend their leisure time at the White Angel, a brand-new nightclub that went from an empty lot to the most popular place to see and be seen in a month. Cat has heard whispers that the White Angel's owner is a real fallen angel, which would somehow end up being the least strange thing to happen to them recently.

Look: ambigious gender, caucasian, loose clothing, distant demeanor
    Stats: Blood 0, Heart -1, Mind 1, Spirit 2
    Factions: Mortality 1, Night -1, Power 1, Wild 1
    Moves:
    Foretellings: At the beginning of the session, roll with Spirit. On a 10+, hold 2. On a 7-9, hold 1. During the session, you can spend your hold to declare that something terrible is about to happen. You (and your allies) take +1 ongoing to avoid the impending disaster. On a miss, you foresee the death of someone important to you and take -1 to all rolls to prevent it.

Skim the Surface: When you touch someone, you can read their surface thoughts. Roll with Spirit. On a 10+, ask 3. On a 7–9, ask 1:
    » What is your character thinking about right now?
    » Who are you protecting?
    » Why are you keeping secrets?
    » What is your character’s hidden pain?
    On a miss, you inflict 1-harm (ap) on them and yourself.

At Any Cost: When you interfere with someone’s plans or actions to prevent one of your visions from coming true, mark their Faction and take +1 forward.

Gear:
    A simple apartment, a crappy car (a rusty 1990 Honda Civic), a cell phone.
    1 set of ritual objects: a bong, a vaporizer, a lighter, a set of clean needles... you get the idea.

admanb on
  • Options
    As a metagame note, it would be a good idea to have a rule in place where if someone is uncomfortable with something -- whether in a character concept or something that happens in the game -- they should be free to privately veto it.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Kieran-Hunter
    Name: Kieran Black
    Look: Male, Caucasian, Dark Casual Clothing
    Demeanor: Calculating
    Stats: Blood 2, Heart 0, Mind 1, Spirit -1
    Factions: Mortality 1, Night 1, Power 1, Wild -1

Intro
    Kieran was born to two doctors in Newton, Massachusetts.He had a turbulent childhood, that he is reluctant to talk about. What is he willing to say is that he was close to his uncle and that he was the one that brought him into the “fold”. A man who lead a double life: a minister by day, hunter by night.

What he won’t say is that he is suffered ,and perhaps still suffered, from an undiagnosable personality disorder.. That left him alienated from his peers since he was a child. His parents had taken him to a number of doctors and psychiatrists, none seemingly able to aid him. Eventually he was taken to a “holistic healer” where he was told he was born under an unlucky star. It was around this time he remembers his uncle taking a more prominent role in his life. Offering his own brand of help to the troubled youth. Told there was a darkness in him that needed to be properly harnessed and that he had inherited a family curse.

Normally that would come across as bullshit, but events that would soon transpire would lead him down the path of the hunter.

Arrival in the City

Kieran goes where the hunt takes him. Rarely staying in one place for very long. He has been in his current location for approximately 3 months. Which might be a record for the longest he’s ever stayed in one place.

The Path and The Prey
    • What do you hunt, primarily?
      • Kieran primarily finds himself hunting Vampires. Over the years he has found them among the chief administrators of misery.
    • What are their strengths and weaknesses?
      • Their hunger seems like their primary weakness, something a hunter can exploit as long as they have a target in their sights. Their seductive nature seems equal parts strength and weakness, probably more a strength. If you're the target of their seduction, it's very hard to resist. That said if they do use their charms in a club or some such, witnesses tend to easily remember those individuals that turn everyone's head. More practically speaking, they are supernatural immortal with the ability to hypnotize. On the bright side, the stuff in the movies usually works in terms of taking them down.
    • What terrible thing have you done to yourself to help even the playing field?
      • In his fight with monsters. Kieran has found himself become more and more sadistic himself. He wears masks both for anonymity but also to strike fear in his prey. At first, it seemed practical but he found himself using more extreme tactics and enjoying it.
    • How are you like them?
        Although he may not admit it to himself, he envies the hedonistic lifestyle many of them live. He feels himself restrained where he sees them as free. Miserable from an early age and set on seemingly on a path he had no control over. The few times he has been approached for seduction, he has found himself yearning to a degree that left him unsettled. He also seems to enjoy putting them down as much as they enjoy feeding on their prey. When he is on the hunt, he feels he might just be as bloodthirsty as they are.

Gear
    • A shitty apartment, a 1968 Dodge Charger and Samsung Galaxy S7
    • A Crowbar named Betsy ("(2-harm hand, cold steel) , Magnum Revolver named Veronica(4-harm close loud) and a Crossbow named Sterling (3-harm close/far)

Moves
    • Slayer: When you Keep Your Cool while on a hunt, roll with Blood instead of Spirit.
    • Deadly: When you inflict harm, increase the harm by 1.
    • This Way!: When you lead people out of danger, roll with Blood. On a 10+, you all get away safely. On a 7-9, you get hurt or one of them gets hurt (you choose). On a miss, everyone’s safe but you; you’re left behind and the way out is closed to you
    *I may change the weapons and moves a bit. But general idea is there and wanted to get something up, sorry for any grammar errors , I typed this up while half-asleep.

Egos on
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    admanb wrote: »
    As a metagame note, it would be a good idea to have a rule in place where if someone is uncomfortable with something -- whether in a character concept or something that happens in the game -- they should be free to privately veto it.

That's a great idea. In my experience, Urban Shadows can tread on some ground that makes people uncomfortable, but a quick word with the other player usually sets things right. So, if anything happens that you, as a player, are uncomfortable with, feel free to PM me and I'll talk to the other player. We'll get an alternative worked out, no sweat.

Also, those characters both look great!

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I'll be watching this with great interest.

I've spent a lot of time reading through the Urban Shadows book. It's pretty clear that the people who put it together love the Dresden Files, Buffy and noir as much as I do.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Daniel-Spectre
    Daniel was born here in the City. At the same hospital his mother worked at as a nurse, going to many of the small shops that hired his dad as an accountant. His family was part of the city, and Daniel left for college but came back afterwards, bringing the woman who would be his wife with him. At 35 years old he was a respected member of the community, respected at his work, active in his church, and soccer coach for his son’s team.

Then he died. Alone, in pain, covered in his own blood. He doesn’t really remember what happened. He was driving, it was late, there was someone else, and then confusion and pain. A confusion and a pain that never quite has left him since.

But this city is in his blood, and he couldn’t leave his family. He stuck around. To watch over them, try to protect them, and guide his children. He doesn’t really haunt them, no spooky noises or mysterious writing, but he still spends most of his nights in his old bed.

He has met a new community now too. Other ghosts mostly, and other weirdoes he never knew about when he was alive. People he can help. People who can help his family. People who can help him figure out why he’s dead, and why he stuck around.

Look: Male, Black, Blood-stained Clothing.
    Demeanor: Volatile
    Starting characteristics: Blood 1 Heart 0 Mind -1 Spirit 2
    Factions: Mortality 0, Night 1, Power 0, Wild 1

Gear: A light jacket, dress shirt, tie and pants, sunglasses, a pocketknife, cellphone, and wallet.
    Debts:
    Corruption: 0/5
    Harm: 0
    Armor: 0
    Scars:
    Moves:
    Manifest: Regular people can’t sense or interact with you unless you
    manifest. You manifest by spending a few quiet moments concentrating
    and choosing 2:
    »» You can be heard
    »» You can be seen
    »» You can touch and be touched by the physical world
    You may mark corruption to instead choose 1 or all 3.
    Won’t Be Ignored: When you Get in the Way of someone, treat your
    roll as a 10+ without rolling. If you Distract an NPC, roll with Spirit
    instead of Mind.

Link: Something keeps you from passing on: a Link. When in the presence
    of your Link, advance Let It Out. When your Link is in danger, you
    have access to all your Corruption Moves until you see it to safety. If your
    Link is ever destroyed, so are you.
    Link: Wife and Children (Son 11, Daughter 6)

• Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Going to note my interest to play Jan - Veteran.
    "Jan" is the foreshortened version of an unpronounceable name delivered in an almost indecipherable accent. From northern Europe originally, Jan seems to have been a hunter at some point. Possibly a troll hunter, if people are interpreting his rumblings correctly.

Jan is a master craftsman, although he's a master craftsman of an older, less civilized time.

Jan was the leader of the city's premiere Watcher's Society for well over a decade, responsible for the education and training of many of the hunters and aware. That society eventually spiraled into disarray when it was targeted by another faction's heavy hitters. Jan quietly walked out of the wreckage, bringing his expertise and knowledge with him.

Jan has realized that he has not only outlived expectations, he's also outlived all of his possible legacies. He needs to pass his skills on to a new generation of hunters.

Jan is a male Caucasian often in formal clothing that somewhat makes up for his crass demeanor.

Blood -1, Heart 1, Mind 2, Spirit 0
    Mortality 1, Night 0, Power 0, Wild 1

Jan has an apartment, a beautiful old S-10 pick-up, an HTC 10, and 9mm Beretta (2-harm close loud).

Jan also owns an old steel mill that contains a science lab, a library of old books, and a forge.

Debts:
    Someone relies on Jan for training or knowledge. They owe him 2 Debts.
    Jan has been working on a sweet sword for someone and he's nearly done. They owe him a Debt.
    Someone keeps pulling Jan's ass out of the fire. He owes them 2 Debts.

Moves:
    Old Friends, Old Favors: When you first encounter an NPC, you may declare them an old friend instead of Putting a Face to a Name and roll with Mind. On a hit, they offer you comfort and aid, even if it exposes them to danger or retribution. On a 7-9, tell the MC why you owe them a Debt. On a miss, tell the MC why they want you dead.

True Artist: When you create something for someone using your Workspace, mark their Faction.

Gun to a Knife Fight: When you Unleash on someone by seriously escalating the conflict, roll with Mind instead of Blood.

Ardent on
    Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I'll be watching this with great interest.

I've spent a lot of time reading through the Urban Shadows book. It's pretty clear that the people who put it together love the Dresden Files, Buffy and noir as much as I do.

You won't be the only one.

I remain disappointed that things got strange the last time someone tried getting a game of this together. We did a heck of a job with the character and world-building.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm not even sure I remember what went down, just that it kind of flamed out.

I was so looking forward to doing really stupid things as a love-lorn, drugged up werewolf.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Forgive me for pretending I'm @Capfalcon for a moment but I'm really excited to see this move along (I'm running three different PbtA games right now and playing in none :( ). I think @Ardent @Neaden and @Egos need to answer the bonus questions in Capfalcon's OP.

Are we still open for a player or good with this four?

• Options
    Sorry! I have a submission left, for a Tainted. I'll put it in tonight. Just had to get the concept right in my head (High school girl sells her soul to be head cheerleader/most popular. What happens after high school?)

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Ok, I'm gonna close new character sheets tomorrow, so you've got some time, Tzeentchling. In the meantime, for the four of you, here's some questions (in addition to the ones you may or may not have answered):

Jan, the Veteran:
    So, even if you don't have any proof, who do you just know wrecked your Watcher's Society? What do you think you did to offend them?
    Who's someone who retired from you Society before the shit hit the fan? What do you think of them? Why are they never going to get back into the game?
    Do you see yourself ever retiring? If so, what do you want to do? If not, how do you want to go out?
    What's the biggest job you ever pulled off? You know, the one you still hear other people talk about in dives across the city?

Cat, the Oracle
    Why do you think you have the visions? Run in your family, took one too many psychotropics, or what?
    What object do you keep to skim the surface to help you remember better days?
    The omens you've been getting have been pointing you at a single person as a fulcrum of the upheavals that are coming. Who is it and why do you think they're so important?
    Who (or what!) do you miss most about the Sepia Club that the White Angel doesn't have? What about the official story on how it burned down do you know is wrong?

Daniel, the Specter
    So, tell me a bit about your family. What do your kids want to be when they grow up? Has your wife moved on? Do you want her to?
    Even if you aren't haunting them, which member of your family do you think might be able to see glimpses of you, even when you haven't materialized?
    Which ghost taught you the ropes back when you were still new at this, and what did you do for them to pay them back?
    Do you get along better with the vampires or the werewolves in your new community? Why? What bothers you about the ones you don't care for as much?

Kieran, Hunter
    So, tell me a bit more about this family curse. Is it actually a magic curse? Are you going to die if you don't off enough monsters? Or is it just the knowledge of evil that forces you to action? Either way, how did your uncle tell you the curse started?
    Now, I hear you're a damn good hunter, but how exactly do you make ends meet in this city? Do you take any contracts on monsters in the city? Or do you think you're above that?
    What (or who!) has kept you in the city for so much longer than normal? Does it bother you that you might be putting down roots?
    What's the last non-vampire you killed and why? What special trick was there to making them stay dead?

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    Capfalcon wrote: »
    Why do you think you have the visions? Run in your family, took one too many psychotropics, or what?

Honestly, Cat doesn't think about the why. The visions are a part of them, and while the nightmares are bad it's the closest thing Cat has had to a purpose for as long as they remember.
    What object do you keep to skim the surface to help you remember better days?

Cat's mom was a ballet dancer before she married Cat's dad, settled down, and forgot her life had a fucking purpose beyond hosting parties, filling her house with expensive art, and drinking wine until she could fall asleep. In one of her moments of drunken sentimentality, when Cat was five years old... or nine, maybe 12 -- who knows, she stumbled into Cat's room and told a rambling story about a ballet tour in Europe and a whirlwind romance with a guest dancer -- a Frenchman whose name she couldn't even remember. She left behind a champagne glass the Frenchman gave her to remember him by and Cat kept it. In the chaos of Cat's life it's a miracle it hasn't been lost or broken by now.
    The omens you've been getting have been pointing you at a single person as a fulcrum of the upheavals that are coming. Who is it and why do you think they're so important?

There's a woman Cat's been seeing at the White Angel that they hadn't seen before. A curvy black bombshell named Camille Ramos*. Whenever Camille's there it's almost like she's holding court, and everyone in town wants -- or needs -- something from her. When Cat sees her it's almost like the visions are pushing them toward her and pulling them away at the same time.
    Who (or what!) do you miss most about the Sepia Club that the White Angel doesn't have? What about the official story on how it burned down do you know is wrong?

Honestly, the best thing about the Sepia Club was that it was kind of a dump. It drew classy crowds because everyone knew about the Sepia Club, but once you got inside everyone was kind of on the same level, ya know? The weird thing is that when it burned down there wasn't even a hint that the owner, whom no one could remember ever talking to or meeting, had any interest in rebuilding it.

*I'm basically just picturing Beyoncé here. Sorry-not-sorry! Not super sure about the name so feel free to change it.

• Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    Ah, looks like you've got 5. Would've loved to play a Wolf. Look forward to reading what happens!

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Daniel, the Specter
    So, tell me a bit about your family. What do your kids want to be when they grow up? Has your wife moved on? Do you want her to?
    Even if you aren't haunting them, which member of your family do you think might be able to see glimpses of you, even when you haven't materialized?
    Which ghost taught you the ropes back when you were still new at this, and what did you do for them to pay them back?
    Do you get along better with the vampires or the werewolves in your new community? Why? What bothers you about the ones you don't care for as much?
    Daniel wants his kids to go to college and find good, honest work. He isn't too picky so long as they make enough that they don't have to go to him for money. Well, his wife for money now. He'd love it the most if they were to become doctors, which encapsulates everything he thinks is good in a job, but he'd never push them. If they got their CPA like both Daniel and his dad did that would really make him proud too.

As far as his wife goes, Daniel died pretty recently, I'm thinking about a year so she hasn't started dating or anything yet. Intellectually he wants her to move on, but it will probably hurt like hell when she does. Still, the vows said 'till death do you part.

The kids seem to notice him sometimes, out of the corner of their eyes. He likes to stay in their room when they sleep sometimes, and when they seem like they are having a nightmare he holds their hands.

James was the first ghost he met. A little white guy, a tweaker who died in an OD. Losing his body was a kind of forced sobriety for James, and he decided that he didn't want to waste his second shot at a life. James watches out for new ghosts and shows them the ropes. In return, Daniel helped James out when some Vampires needed a horse spooked at the track. He doesn't know what James got out of the deal, and he didn't ask.

The Werewolves. They seem to be more like him, people in a bad situation making the best of things. The Vampires, he's not even sure if they really count as people anymore. They aren't alive, and they aren't dead like him. Walking around, corpses talking to living people. It's not right, and that's before we get into the blood drinking.

And then because I didn't answer them earlier

1. What brought you here? Daniel was born here in the City, he grew up here, he died here. He's sure not leaving now.
    2. Who's an interesting NPC in the city? James as mentioned above serves as a defacto leader among the Ghosts. He's not really in charge, but the other ghosts don't really say no either. No one is sure how long he's been dead exactly, tweakers have been around for a long time after all.
    3. What's an interesting place in the city? The Grant Park was James' favorite place as a kid, and he loved taking his kids there. Now that he's dead, he's noticed things about it that he never did before. The way some of the trees twist, branches like fingers. The birds that watch some people, following them from a distance as they go for a jog or a walk.
    4. What's a fascinating rumor you heard recently? Some important Fae is going to have a birthday soon, his 100th. Supposedly, that night at midnight he'll die. That's not stopping him from having a party though, and wanting gifts. Word is, give him a good enough gift and you might get on his will, all set to inherit just a few hours later. What an old Fae wants as a present right before he dies though Daniel has no idea.

Neaden on
  • Options
    Ok, I'm gonna close new character sheets tomorrow, so you've got some time, Tzeentchling. In the meantime, for the four of you, here's some questions (in addition to the ones you may or may not have answered):

Jan, the Veteran:
    So, even if you don't have any proof, who do you just know wrecked your Watcher's Society? What do you think you did to offend them?
    Who's someone who retired from you Society before the shit hit the fan? What do you think of them? Why are they never going to get back into the game?
    Do you see yourself ever retiring? If so, what do you want to do? If not, how do you want to go out?
    What's the biggest job you ever pulled off? You know, the one you still hear other people talk about in dives across the city?
    Jan is completely certain that the entity behind the destruction of his society is the Third Lord of the Storm Court, the Troll Smith, Asbrandr. Aside from the wholesale murder of trolls Jan was involved in during his youth -- something he stands by to this day, stubbornly -- Jan's last project before the society collapsed was the forging of a sword designed to enforce the precepts of reality onto creatures of the Wild. A masterwork that is uniquely dangerous and terrifying to Wildlings because unlike regular cold iron, which would burn horribly and maybe kill them, this sword would make them mortal. Virtually nobody knows whether Jan finished that project or not, and if the sword exists or not. Possibly including Jan.

One of the handful of survivors of the old society is a middle-aged hunter named Kenzie Grace, maybe a decade or two younger than Jan. Too old to be a committed hunter now, Kenzie has retired in truth to the life of suburban soccer mom. Jan finds her return to normalcy offensive, privately regarding her as a traitor to their convictions. Kenzie's reasons for staying out of the game are pretty obvious: a husband who loves her (and knows nothing about shadow stalking), and her two kids, upon whom she dotes. Having had to deal with Jan's lack of understanding of (or respect for) boundaries, her family believes he is a distant cousin of hers; the crazy one.

Jan is canny enough to know that his fighting prime is pretty far behind him now, but he's still strong and his grip sure, and until that goes he will stay by the forge and attempt to arm the future against the threats he knows lie in wait for them. But if he were to truly retire, Jan is fairly certain he would open up a bar. However, he would much rather die wrapped in glory in battle and be welcomed into Valhalla to wait for Ragnarok and do his part.

Jan arrived in the city on the heels of Hallvardr the Man-Eater, who had organized his departure from Norway in order to escape Jan the story goes. Hallvardr was a particularly large and ill-tempered example of a troll, infamous for eating the hero Egill (among others). Jan arrived in the city bereft of much beyond his sword, Trollbanamadur, and incapable of speaking the language with any facility. He eventually tracked Hallvardr to a gazebo in one of the parks where they met in a climactic battle. Jan eventually overcame Hallvardr, but not before his knee had been smashed into pumice and Trollbanamadur was broken off in the chest of the mighty troll. Despite his poor English, his shattered knee, and his lack of a weapon, Jan's fight with Hallvardr secured his place in the Watcher's Society, with Jan retiring from active hunting to devote his time to the forge arts and training the next generation. Rumors of Trollbanamadur's recovery crop up from time to time, but the broken blade was buried withn Hallvardr's rocky remains. Even if it was somehow recovered, it would take a smith of Jan's skill to reforge the blade, and there are only a couple in the city. The other one is a troll.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Ashleigh Carter, Tainted:
    Those were the best years of her fucking life.

To be fair, Ashleigh hadn’t had much to compare them by. Growing up in a small town in Middle of Nowhere, America, raised by two doting if overworked parents, Ash was a goofy, shy bookworm. This, of course, meant she was teased relentlessly all throughout middle school by the more popular girls.

As she lay curled up in the second floor girls’ washroom near the end of 8th grade, crying through fifth period, Ash heard a voice call her name. Peeking out of the stall door, she saw a stunningly beautiful, dark-skinned woman. At once, Ash could see that this woman was everything Ash ever wanted to be. Introducing herself as Jezebel, the woman made Ash a simple offer. She would give Ashleigh beauty, popularity, and power… all for an agreement to do some work for her later. Unhesitant, Ash jumped at the chance.

The next four years of high school were amazing. Ash got everything she could ever want – a clique of friends, the respect – or fear – of students and teachers alike, and a body that got every boy in school staring. She was head cheerleader. She dated the quarterback. She was prom queen both years. And when someone crossed her, bad things happened. To this day, the town still doesn’t know what happened to Johnny, the practical joker who had somehow gotten it in his head that the queen bee didn’t have a sting.

When Ashleigh graduated (valedictorian of course – no teacher could stomach giving her less than an A), she had offers from several colleges, cheer scholarships, and sorority invitations from half a dozen schools. And then Jezebel reappeared. She explained to Ashleigh that life was going to be a bit different than what she anticipated, and when Ash balked, Jezebel smiled and vanished. The next day, things changed. Friends turned on her. She caught her boyfriend cheating. The offers suddenly dried up, with notes of inconsistencies and clerical errors. Ash knew she had no choice – Jezebel was her only hope, the only one left that she could rely on. Without Jezebel’s power, she’d go back to being that sobbing wreck of a girl, and Ashleigh swore she’d never go back to that.

The years since have been a blur. Ash is 25 now, and has seen more of America than she thought she ever would. Her sense of wonder has long turned to bitter cynicism. Sometimes it’s great, but mostly it’s pretty shitty. Jezebel mostly has her delivering messages – threats, promises, warnings, deals. Sometimes she’s even sent to recruit others like she was.

The last few months Ash has been in The City, at Jezebel’s summons. She’s already met with a couple of the mayor’s aides, some local activists, a few of the city’s more organized crime groups, and some more… esoteric… individuals. Over the years, Ash has been finding there’s more out there than she ever imagined, but Jezebel has been the one constant at her side. At this point Ash would do anything for her – die, even – because without Jezebel, Ash is nothing.

1. What brought you here?
    Jezebel, of course. Also, see answer to number 4.

2. Who's an interesting NPC in the city?
    Sebastian, one of the mayor's aides. Nearly as attractive as she is, with that same sense of magnetism, but also a strong sense of ambition. Flirting while talking shop has become natural for Ash, but there was a power about Sebastian that she hadn't felt before. Something about him intrigued her, and when he asked her out for a date later that week she found she couldn't say no.

3. What's an interesting place in the city?
    Grant Park. Who knows who Grant was, but he liked trees, apparently. It's a pretty giant park in the middle of the city, half lawns and ponds and jogging trails, and half forest with hiking paths, tall oaks and redwoods. Ash had to meet a small gang of toughs there one night, to talk business and give them a warning about muscling in on some territory down by the docks. Ash can usually handle herself, but these guys seemed more feral and vicious than the usual street gangs she deals with, and she could have sworn she heard dogs howling as she left.

4. What's a fascinating rumor you heard recently?
    The city's power base is surprisingly unstable. The mayor puts on a fine veneer and the press helps cover everything up, but beneath it all there's a powder keg waiting to blow. One move could set off consequences that no one could control. This, Ash suspects, is why Jezebel wanted her here at this time, making deals with key players.

Demon Form: Curved horns about a hand long. Nails and fingers elongate and turn into claws. Black feathered wings. Skin becomes alabaster and firm. Eyes become empty. Unearthly, unhallowed beauty.
    Demonic Jobs: Delivering threats and messages, brokering demonic contracts.
    Name: Ashleigh Carter, goes by Ash
    Look: Female, Caucasian, expensive and trendy clothing.
    Demeanor: Detached
    Starting Character Stats: Blood 1, Heart 2, Mind -1, Spirit 0
    Starting Factions: Mortality 1, Night -1, Power 1, Wild 1
    Daily release: Ash has started drinking wine, and usually has a glass before bed – the redder, the better. She’s surprisingly knowledgeable, and treasures above all else a bottle of 2005 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Romanée-Conti, a gift from Jezebel on her 21st birthday. She still hasn’t figured out what’s going to be a special enough time to drink it.
    What do you desperately need: A good friend, or at least a confidant. Is it likely Jezebel would allow her to have one? Probably not.
    Gear: A small but stylish studio apartment in a trendy high-rise, 2015 Lexus RC Coupe, iPhone. 9mm Beretta for more mundane threats.
    Tainted Moves:
    The Devil Inside
    The Devil Inside: When you assume your demon form, roll with Blood.
    On a 10+, choose 2. On a 7-9, choose 1. On a miss, choose 1 and you owe your patron a Debt.
    »» Gain armor+1
    »» Heal 2-harm
    »» Inflict +1 harm
    »» +demonic weapon (3-harm hand or 2-harm close)
    »» +demonic movement (flight, flaming motorcycle, etc.)
    If you’re working a job for your patron, choose 1 more. If you mark corruption, choose 1 more.

Don’t Look At Me
    Don’t Look at Me: When you Mislead someone, roll with Heart instead of Mind.

Debts
    »» You’re protecting someone from a dark power. They owe you 2 Debts.
    »» Someone is trying to save you and keeps suffering for it.
    You owe them 2 Debts.
    »» You have a demon patron who holds the contract for your soul.
    You owe them 3 Debts.

tzeentchling on
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Ashleigh
    What do you hate about the city? What different thing does Jezebel hate about it?
    Who have you run into from your old life in the city? What kind of success did the accomplish, all on their own? How do you feel about them?
    What was the last task you refused to do for Jezebel? How did you have to make up for it?
    Where do you go that you know Jezebel can't bother you? Has anyone there noticed you coming in to hide from something?
    Which faerie did you a favor to spite Jezebel?

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    admanb wrote: »
    Forgive me for pretending I'm @Capfalcon for a moment but I'm really excited to see this move along (I'm running three different PbtA games right now and playing in none :( ). I think @Ardent @Neaden and @Egos need to answer the bonus questions in Capfalcon's OP.

Are we still open for a player or good with this four?

yeah I'm waiting on a clarification from @Capfalcon before I answer

(sorry for some reason thought you meant the follow up questions. Only got 3 hours of sleep )

Egos on
  • Options
    Oh, sorry. Five looks to be fine.

• Options
  • Options
    Well, in the meantime, how do you folks want to figure out debts once we get everyone on the same page? Hash it out by post or try to get everyone in the IRC room at the same time?

• Options
    Sorry, work has been killing me lately. I'll answer those tonight. I'm fine hashing out debts by post, but can possibly do IRC if need be (I'm on West Coast time).

• Options
    I'm PST as well. Could do sometime this Saturday, but if we can't get everyone together by the end of the weekend I'd say just do it through posts.

• Options
    To be clear, I don't have a strong opinion either way. I was just asked what my plan was, and I didn't really have one.
    Also, I'm eastern, but Saturday is looking pretty open during the day.

• Options
    I'm on central time. Saturday during the day might not be great for me depending on when exactly we decide on, but I"m fine with getting any of the Debts.

• Options
    In my opinion it would work better in live action, since there are some things that people might be strongly opposed to. I think that's part of the fun, but y'know I think that overrides it. And live chat would be able to quickly resolve that.

I'm good with any time, I'm central. I'm likely down for any time before night.

• Options
    Ashleigh
    What do you hate about the city? What different thing does Jezebel hate about it?
    Who have you run into from your old life in the city? What kind of success did the accomplish, all on their own? How do you feel about them?
    What was the last task you refused to do for Jezebel? How did you have to make up for it?
    Where do you go that you know Jezebel can't bother you? Has anyone there noticed you coming in to hide from something?
    Which faerie did you a favor to spite Jezebel?

1. Ashleigh hates how many people there are. She feels like she's never alone, that she can never get personal space or a space to breathe. Jezebel hates the smell. It's too fresh, too antisceptic, too savory. Apparently, nothing like she's used to.
    2. Ash ran into Becki, her one-time lieutenant in high school, at a local coffee shop. Ash was a bit surprised - hardly anyone ever left their town for long. Apparently Becki had met a Marine in college, married, and they've moved around, ending up in the City for now. Becki was at the coffee shop hanging some of her art - tacky acryllics with a sea theme - when they recognized each other. The conversation was brief and awkward. Ashleigh's conflicted - on the one hand, it was nice to see a familiar face, but on the other, she's not sure she wants to pull Becki into her world. On the third hand, having someone like Becki to boss around again would be sweet. On the fourth hand, can Ash admit that she's actually kind of jealous of Becki's life?
    3. The last task of Jezebel's that Ashleigh refused was four years ago. In order to seal a contract, Ash was required to have carnal relations with a skeevy mobster. The man was in his 80s, fat, repulsive. Ash objected, swore she wouldn't do it. Jezebel smiled and let her out of it - but warned it came with a cost. For the next year, whenever Ash was enjoying herself (alone or with another), the man's warty, pock-marked face appeared before her right before climax. That was a long year.
    4. Ash was wandering around Chinatown one day, browsing the markets and enjoying the exotic foods, she felt a strange pull. Off in an alley was a small, unmarked door that led to a Buddhist sanctuary. Emerging into the courtyard, Ash felt an odd tingle all over, and the omnipresent sense of Jezebel at the back of her mind seemed to vanish, or at least dull. The monks paid her no attention, which in itself was unusual for someone so used to being at the center of any scene. Well, all except for one, with a ringed staff, who wished her well as she passed. She's only been back once, briefly, to see if it felt the same (it did). She's a little scared to go back, because the sense of being without Jezebel is frightening if oddly exhilarating.
    5. One going by the name of Mercutio. The faerie's sense of glamour is comparable to hers, so Ash knows that he's not being manipulated by her own power, but she suspects he may be slightly fond of her regardless. Ashleigh had been talking to a young girl in the park, typical befriending before enticement, when the air around her shimmered and got unbearably hot. It started to feel like she was being punched by some invisible being, and a fierce sense of protectiveness hammered into her from all sides. Ashleigh cried out and started to turn away, but tripped and fell under the bludgeoning. A young boy - or at least a being that looked like a young boy - ran up and asked if she wanted help. Afraid and in pain, Ash agreed, and the boy clapped his hands. When Ash got up, the girl and the hateful wind were gone. The boy introduced himself as Mercutio, one of the fae court, and indicated that she now owed him a favor - or perhaps, Jezebel did.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    ANSWER TIME
    00117773.0001.gif
    What brought you here?
    "Multiple reports of people being found with their faces sawed off. Serial killer was ruled out....officially at least. Think they're chalking it up as gang violence. Territorial. Sending a message. I think there is something more to it. Changeling or Doppleganger, something like that. Encountered something similar about seven years back, plastic surgeon doing weird shit with faces."
    Who's an interesting NPC in the city?
    "A homeless man named Rasmsus. I should say I think that's his name, I couldn't quite hear him that well when he said it. Basically a normie who knows a lot more than he should....seemingly.

After investigating one of the sites of the "Faceless Killer", I went to grab a bagel at a small bakery. He was arguing with the owner as I went, presumably about standing in-front of the shop. When I exited he was cursing and had been on his way yelling about banshees. Sounded like nonsense, but I decided to tail him on the off chance it wasn't. When he started rambling about vampires and werewolves to himself, I started to take him a bit more seriously. A little after he started spouting things I knew about, I offered to buy him breakfast. "

What's an interesting place in the city?
    "OctaWorld. A struggling theme park with a sea monster theme. The whole park is enclosed by a large leviathan, you enter and exit the park where the mouth and tail meet. It's pretty cool and the Devil Turtle ride is awesome."
    What's a fascinating rumor you heard recently?
    "Radio chatter has that something big is coming that has the "monsters" in a firght. Vampires and "demons" not fearing hunters,death- preferring that to whatever it is that is coming. Supposedly one brood committed mass suicide VIA sunlight.
    ---
    So, tell me a bit more about this family curse. Is it actually a magic curse? Are you going to die if you don't off enough monsters? Or is it just the knowledge of evil that forces you to action? Either way, how did your uncle tell you the curse started?

"Around the end of the 13th Century, there was some Luciferian mage causing a ruckus on the outskirts of Germany. A hunter was dispatched by the Catholic Church to deal with this fellow. He paid a number of locales a large sum to help him in this task. They managed to kill the demonic wizard but not before he managed to get off a curse and mortally wound the hunter. In the end, only four survived- one of which was a relative of mine.

Anyway it was a blood curse supposedly meant to cause any kin of those that had slain him to end up serving him even in death. In actuality this seemed to just seemed to affect first borns. My great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather eventually reverse engineered this curse- instead of serving the whims of this demon or wizard, you instead felt a need to destroy the "unholy". Sadly he was apparently unable to save his own son from the demonic influence, but was with his firstborn grandson.

As for it being real or not. I'm not entirely sure. I felt weird my entire youth and started to feel more normalized when I was given a purpose. But at that age it sounded like being a superhero, so who knows. There are accounts of wizard or demon known as Volknand. And of the hunter, known people he hired, et cetera. I haven't encountered any relatives of the other three men who survived. So I'm uncertain as to the curse's validity. "
    Now, I hear you're a damn good hunter, but how exactly do you make ends meet in this city? Do you take any contracts on monsters in the city? Or do you think you're above that?
    "
    "Manual labor ,largely. Though I drive for Uber on occasion.

If there is a threat and someone is willing to pay to have said threat taken care of. No I'm not above taking money for that. Now if you're talking about a shadowy gent hiring me to take care of someone just because they tell me they are a monster. No......I wouldn't. Though if they offered a large enough sum....yeah, I'm unsure what I'd do. Haven't had that moral quagmire yet , thankfully."

What (or who!) has kept you in the city for so much longer than normal? Does it bother you that you might be putting down roots?
    "Aside from the rash of faceless murder victims....supposedly there is a gang of vampires led by a dude named Lance. Just have his first name.

Their peddling a new "super drug" on the street, resembling blood capsules....with a little black bat logo on them. It's not subtle. Anyway they've been getting people addicted and then using them as willing bloodbags. Lucky ones end up just as thralls, the unlucky seem wind up as the human equivalent of a pinata.

I met a girl named Sera , who seems to have a connect. I like her, but I've managed to keep my distance....

It never crossed my mind that I may be settling down.."

What's the last non-vampire you killed and why? What special trick was there to making them stay dead?

"A witch named Seline. She had taken over her small village with relative ease, killing the few that resisted or deserved it. I did the job with another hunter, we arrived after reports of cars/people going missing in the area.

We eventually got the drop on her. We had her bound, the other guy wanted to extract information from her. I'm not a fan of those sort of tactics. Before he could "really" start, I shot her in the temple. That's all it took. "

Egos on
  • Options
    (( I wanted to give a more detailed answer for a few of those, but don't want to hold things up. And I'm getting tired, if there's time- I will. But general gist is there. ))

• Options
    I am your token Eastern time zone player. I will be able to hop in and answer questions most of Saturday if that's what is good for everyone.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Alright, looks like we're got everything in. I'll start writing up a starting scene. How does 3 PM EST on Saturday sound for the debts, and I should have something up shortly afterwards?

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    Should be fine. I can probably distract my players with combat.

• Options
    I'll try to make it, if I don't though I don't see and Debts that I would hate to get.

• Options
    That works for me.