As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Preacher]? I hardly know her! (Spoiler rules in OP)

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Because AMC has a schtick and they follow it.

lets hope they don't use their walking dead shtick of "Story can only be forced to progress by characters acting uncharacteristically stupid"

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Because AMC has a schtick and they follow it.

lets hope they don't use their walking dead shtick of "Story can only be forced to progress by characters acting uncharacteristically stupid"

Given the comics it would be more characters acting characteristically stupid...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    All right, spoiler rules are now in the OP. Short version: be very clear of you're posting comic stuff.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Woo, Preacher series! It's been a long while since I've read the comics so I can barely remember what happened, especially in the beginning. So with that in mind I really enjoyed the first episode. The show doesn't seem to be taking itself too seriously, which jives pretty well with what I recall of the tone of the comic. Also Joe Gilgun as Cassidy is a godamn master-stroke of casting. Really looking forward to seeing how this pans out. AMC knocking it out of the park with their comic to series choices.

• Options
    So as someone who has no knowledge of the comics..

Is the Preacher
    a goddamn Bene Gesserit?

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

Is the Preacher
    a goddamn Bene Gesserit?

Nope.
    (slight comics spoiler)
    Just spreading The Word.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular

Is the Preacher
    a goddamn Bene Gesserit?
    Not really. Before becoming a preacher, Jesse did bad things, ran with bad people, and hurt a lot of people. He was the muscle of his club and was a terrible person. Then something happened (in this case his father's death and what he promised his dad) and he seek to change his ways. Becoming a preacher was about as redeeming of something as he could think of.

In the comics
    His dad isn't a preacher but some sick redneck that beat his son. Like typical sister fucking white trash and Jesse escapes it.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

Is the Preacher
    a goddamn Bene Gesserit?
    Not really. Before becoming a preacher, Jesse did bad things, ran with bad people, and hurt a lot of people. He was the muscle of his club and was a terrible person. Then something happened (in this case his father's death and what he promised his dad) and he seek to change his ways. Becoming a preacher was about as redeeming of something as he could think of.

In the comics
    His dad isn't a preacher but some sick redneck that beat his son. Like typical sister fucking white trash and Jesse escapes it.

I think you're confused about the comics
    (Big comic spoilers, possibly series spoilers)
    Jesse's Dad was a good guy, he didn't beat Jesse, the nasty rednecks were Jesse's Mom's family. They murdered his Dad for trying to take Jesse and his Mom away from them.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    That's right, I did have that backwards. It's been nearly 10 years since I last read the comics.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Oh wow that cold open

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    This show is crazy.

All over the freaking place but in a good way

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »
    This show is crazy.

I find it real difficult to follow.

Like, I have absolutely zero understanding for the cold open or what happened or why.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I found the second episode much better than the first. They are including some of the body horror of the comics though. Which is way tougher to watch on screen than see as art.

Episode 2 and comic spoiler:
    I do like watching them explore Jessie's use of genesis and the word. I think it is a pretty great way to slowly introduce people to it. Also Ruth Negga is hitting it out of the park as Tulip.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I'm with Cassidy big Lebowski is overrated.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I found the second episode much better than the first. They are including some of the body horror of the comics though. Which is way tougher to watch on screen than see as art.

Episode 2:
    I do like watching them explore Jessie's use of genesis and the word. I think it is a pretty great way to slowly introduce people to it. Also Ruth Negga is hitting it out of the park as Tulip.

So, as someone who hasn't read the comics but is watching the show, this seems more like a comic spoiler than a show one.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Episode 2 and comic spoiler:

So, as someone who hasn't read the comics but is watching the show, this seems more like a comic spoiler than a show one.

Sorry I spaced labeling it correctly. It was not on purpose.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    This show is crazy.

Like, I have absolutely zero understanding for the cold open or what happened or why.

They introduced a char who will be super important later on is what the cold open was.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    This show is crazy.

They introduced a char who will be super important later on is what the cold open was.

This was weird that they didn't touch on the character in the episode again.

Episode 2, Show only no comic spoiler
    Though I think the tree that had native Americans hanging from it was the same one the irish vampire buried the preacher hunters under.

• Options
    Non comic episode 2 spoilers.

I believe you are correct

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    I am really digging this, but I fear the direction/ editing is making it far too cumbersome and convoluted for the casual viewer who doesn't already know the story or at least recall the basics from their teens like I do.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    the cold open stuff was sort of like the pink teddy bear in season 2 of Breaking Bad - i.e. within the episode it was mostly a mood-setter, it'll make sense for the plot by the end.

ep 2 cold open:
    what was it that the guy said? It was only like one word, I couldn't understand him.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2016
    KalTorak wrote: »
    the cold open stuff was sort of like the pink teddy bear in season 2 of Breaking Bad - i.e. within the episode it was mostly a mood-setter, it'll make sense for the plot by the end.

Comic spoilers:
    I thought they introduced him really early, but checking the wiki he appears in person in issue #2 of the comic. So he might show up really soon and have the cold opening continue to tell his backstory.

edit: asked a friend that has all the TPBs. Issue one ends with the angels waking him up.

Echo on
  • Options

ep 2 cold open:
    what was it that the guy said? It was only like one word, I couldn't understand him.
    I don't quite remember, but he said something like "it ain't." (In response to "isn't this paradise")

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i was hoping they would go in a diff direction for the show

everybody loves that character but i thought he was super borink

o well

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    As someone who tried watching Game of Thrones and Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell after having loved the books, this series is weirdly keeping me hooked. I cooled on those other series almost immediately because they were so faithful that I was bored with the story.

So far, this has characters recognizable to me as a former fan of the comics but in a mostly new story, or at least a looser adaptation. Maybe once all the little mysteries get sorted out I'll get bored, but for now it's nice that one of these adaptations is gripping me for whatever reason.

• Options
    I can't imagine people tuning in to watch Preacher are really expecting a story that makes sense at the start, maybe I'm misjudging the discerning AMC viewer. But this is the network of breaking bad and better call saul.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I can't imagine people tuning in to watch Preacher are really expecting a story that makes sense at the start, maybe I'm misjudging the discerning AMC viewer. But this is the network of breaking bad and better call saul.

I don't expect it to make sense, because its a puzzle and they've only put down a few of the edge pieces so far.

But some of the editing and stuff does make it hard to follow for people who have no clue about the comics, Like the cold open part which..Like, I get it, hanging thread for future, but its just..Okay, heres shit, then theres not shit, and..okay?

• Options

I don't expect it to make sense, because its a puzzle and they've only put down a few of the edge pieces so far.

But some of the editing and stuff does make it hard to follow for people who have no clue about the comics, Like the cold open part which..Like, I get it, hanging thread for future, but its just..Okay, heres shit, then theres not shit, and..okay?

I actually spoke with a coworker who has never read the comics but watched the show for two episodes to get her read on the opening. She was intrigued by it, but not too confused, she assumed it will come up in a present day story line somehow. Don't know if she's unique or that's how non comic readers would interpret it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    one potentially confusing thing from episode 2:
    the AV Club reviewer apparently thought that the scene at the end where the two guys that Cassidy killed are meeting with Sheriff Root was a flashback, whereas I took it as a chronological scene that was supposed to be like "oh noes, how are those guys not chopped up anymore?" But I'm primed to expect more supernatural stuff than one from having read the comics.

• Options
    the AV Club reviewer apparently thought that the scene at the end where the two guys that Cassidy killed are meeting with Sheriff Root was a flashback, whereas I took it as a chronological scene that was supposed to be like "oh noes, how are those guys not chopped up anymore?" But I'm primed to expect more supernatural stuff than one from having read the comics.

Eh AV club reviewers aren't great at following things. Like in one of their arrow reviews the dude didn't even know his ww2 history and alledged we dropped the bombs in april...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I should dig Preacher out for a re-read. From what I recall, comic Jessie
    Never wanted to be a Reverend. So him deciding to do a better job is a big change.

Oh, I wonder if they're doing something with the dual nature of Genesis, kind of playing tug of war with him. Like the Angel side tells the guy to stop sinning, but the Demon side decides to make him stop.

• Options

I assumed that
    those were either the same guys having dug themselves out, or dopplegangers, or something weird along those lines. The show has ably established that it's full of weird shit like that.

As someone who knows nothing about the comics, I'm not having trouble following things. Things like the cold open don't make much sense, but in a way that implies eventually it will. I was a little lost on the significance of the blue suited mover guys, but I trust that'll make sense, too.

I'm really enjoying it. The cast is fucking aces and the mood is delightfully bonkers.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    comic spoilers:
    I assume the two guys are the Angels trying to hunt down Genesis. They can probably just manifest those bodies from nothing or whatever. Or there aren't a lot of variation in how angels look idk.

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Comic spoilers:
    I wonder if Sheriff Root will go fuck himself like in the comics. He seems to be more of an actual human being in the show so I wouldn't mind if they skipped that bit.

And separate comic spoilers regarding the two guys:
    Yeah, they're Fiore and Deblanc, the angels that quit and go to Vegas.

• Options
    Honestly if the show dropped like 50% of the comic it would probably be an overall improvement as there was more than a little bit of grossness associated with some characters, though from this ep at least one of the villains will have something similar to his arc in the comics it seems.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Echo wrote: »
    Comic spoilers:
    I wonder if Sheriff Root will go fuck himself like in the comics. He seems to be more of an actual human being in the show so I wouldn't mind if they skipped that bit.
    I don't think so. That Sheriff Root was a complete ass who was the worst kind of person in the world. This Sheriff is just a drunk, bumbling idiot. He is ashamed of his son, but at least he's willing to try to live with him, since we see him going to church with Arseface. I think the show is going to have Killer of Saints kill Root and Arseface is going to go after him instead of Jesse.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    This is still not a great show, but the seeds are there. It really needs to tighten up what's going on and find some clear direction. This episode seemed like two dozen vignettes telling completely different parts of completely different stories, so while I'm sure it's all building to something, right now it feels extremely incoherent. We get a little bit better characterization of Tulip here, but it's still not clear whether we're supposed to like her or not; Cassidy is still a lot of fun but doing fuck-all as far as I can tell, and our main character Jesse is still a cipher.

Add all that on top of a cold opening that has zero context or connection to the story, weird Jackie Earl Haley doing shit unrelated to the main story, and possibly-magical weirdos singing lullabies to a tin can on a passed-out Jesse before trying to disembowel him, . . . . well, baby, you got a stew going. A really fucking weird and atonal stew. Like a lobster bique, but with macaroni noodles and chinese dumplings.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    A really fucking weird and atonal stew. Like a lobster bique, but with macaroni noodles and chinese dumplings.
    Hey, I was once on a cruise ship with quite a few Americans, and I remember the stuff they piled up on their plates. By comparison, what you're describing is not an atonal stew, it's cutting-edge fusion cuisine.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I should dig Preacher out for a re-read. From what I recall, comic Jessie
    Never wanted to be a Reverend. So him deciding to do a better job is a big change.
    He's forced into it by Grandma L'Angelle, abandoning Tulip to save her from Jody and T.C.

Sat down last night and just re-read the comics. I must be old and cranky, because I find myself agreeing with Alan Moore that comics just don't need to be made into movies or TV shows and in many cases they work best as ... comics. Then I went on and re-read Punisher: Born and Ennis' Punisher Max run. Good luck topping that one, Netflix. That said, if you never read the books, enjoy the show and try hitting up your local library and check out the source material.

Nosf on
  • Options
    Nah, I think the disparate scenes that don't immediately have context are doing a fine job of setting things up.
    The cold open doesn't feature any characters we know, but it shows us that some bad shit happened in our setting a long time ago, which is clearly connected to what's happening now. The scene with the Blue Man Group starts out as a non sequitur, but then we see the boys hanging at the brothel alongside Tulip, which intimates they'll be crossing paths before too long.

The overall effect is to show us a big world with lots of moving parts, which gives the setting a nice sense of weight. Everything is connected. At the same time, the viewer isn't taxed with having to remember half a dozen different plot threads. Compare this to, say, the GoT pilot (which I just watched). We meet a dozen different people, doing a dozen things that are all tied together, and at the end of the hour I had no fucking clue who anyone was or what the hell they were up to.

What Preacher has done is introduce us to some characters and situations in a way that doesn't require us to really keep track of them yet, but makes it so an episode or two down the road, when we see what they're up to, we'll be more primed to absorb new info.

Look at Cassidy. Last week, we saw him do some crazy shit on a plane that made little sense, and left us disoriented but intrigued. This week, it's spelled out exactly what happened there. I think the show is being very purposeful in how it's laying out its info, and I think it's a very smart way to do it.