As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Civilization] New civs, leaders, game features announced as a new season. Vampires!

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    It ended up being a few pictures, so here's an album of my 'tourism cities': https://imgur.com/a/9xKfqay

The fun part was finding out putting national parks next to each other moves the fences so it's all one giant national park!

Ah, I see. The reason you're spending so much faith on naturalists, and consequently have none to spend on rock bands, is because you are an absolute madman.

You are giving up some primo campus and holy site locations for some of those national parks, not to mention luxuries you could be selling to your allies for beaucoup gold, and uranium.

I mean, I get it, you're in the home stretch for a cultural victory and it makes perfect strategic sense to pivot hard, but the part of my brain that compels me to make all the numbers go up can't handle looking at that.
    Jephery wrote: »
    So the two golden age starts I've been using are the Religious Monumentality start and the Harbor/Commerce Free Inquiry start. Are there any other era openings that work as well?

Depends on the civ. If you're playing as a civ that has all their bonuses locked behind a particular civic, such as Arabia, then you really want to choose Pen, Brush, and Voice. If you're playing as a civ that benefits a lot from getting a religion, such as Poland or Georgia, then you really want to choose Exodus of the Evangels. Looking closely at the criteria for each of your civ's bonuses should make it pretty obvious what dedication you want in each era.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I've probably said this before but one of the things I thought they were doing in Beyond Earth prior to release was effectively having you create your own faction. Like choosing a leader with their own ability, then a sponsor with their own ability, then choosing what kind of colonists you were bringing, etc. Maybe have some default names for faction combinations.

It seemed like they were going for a spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri that made the sponsors bland-ish because they were letting you construct your own faction, yet in the end they were just boring civs and your non-sponsor choices at the beginning barely mattered. I think if nothing else about the game had been changed but you were creating your own faction from various (truly significant) pieces, it would've been better received. Maybe not hugely better but still better.

Really though, never mind the factions: the game also needed to make actual use of its lore about the planet and your technology. There's a lot of text in the game about the various technologies and stuff that you have to dig into the Civilopedia to actually see. One of AC's great touches was...well, 1) having quotes that last more than a sentence or two. and 2) letting you view the description of what the hell you just researched right from the "tech researched" box. What about Physics did I just research?? That physics exist??

It was a serious ball-drop.

I felt like a big deal with Beyond Earth civs were that they were very difficult to read as opponents. They fail the 10 minute initial read test.

Like in alpha centauri, you can look at the picture, read the abilities and flavor tech and know what a civ is about. Lal of the peacekeepers gives you an immediate idea of what he’s about, as does yang, etc.

Civ 6 does a pretty decent job at this. Even if you don’t know who Alexander or Trajan are you can get a sense of fheir personality in a few minutes of play. Oh, heres a bro-ish guy with a lot of war bonuses who keeps getting mad at me for not being at war. Oh heres a guy with military and building bonuses who talks a lot about expanding, etc.

Beyond earth is really hard to get a bead on. The flavor text is mostly generic “guy brought his people together in the aftermath of the great mistake” stuff. The civ bonuses are kind of generic and minor, probably because they intended to loadout bonuses to play a role. The personality is there but its mainly buried in gameplay choices and dialogue.

So ultimately I can tell after hours of gameplay that Rejinaldo is a militarist strong-man, Kozlov is a “crazy ivan” 60s Soviet style space and industry guy, Daoming is a technocrat engineer(less malevolent yang), Elodie is an old europe cultural imperialist, etc. But I feel like the factions would have gone over better if those aspects were thrown in your face more from the start rather than everyone starting as generic as possible.

Rising tide did a MUCH better job with this in its factions, so I guess they learned their lessons to a point.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    It ended up being a few pictures, so here's an album of my 'tourism cities': https://imgur.com/a/9xKfqay

The fun part was finding out putting national parks next to each other moves the fences so it's all one giant national park!

Ah, I see. The reason you're spending so much faith on naturalists, and consequently have none to spend on rock bands, is because you are an absolute madman.

You are giving up some primo campus and holy site locations for some of those national parks, not to mention luxuries you could be selling to your allies for beaucoup gold, and uranium.

I mean, I get it, you're in the home stretch for a cultural victory and it makes perfect strategic sense to pivot hard, but the part of my brain that compels me to make all the numbers go up can't handle looking at that.

I absolutely understand where you're coming from here, but it's also important to note that at this point in the game my econ was basically perfect. I was cleaning out the upper tech tiers for no reason other than I could, had completed Future Civic like five times, and had been raking in 1k+ gold every turn for a long time. The only consideration would be the uranium to support more GDRs, but in my defense I actually settled that city before I'd revealed uranium! And obviously I'd leave that park for last.

The one number I really needed was faith, but blocking my natural park spots to get more faith to make more natural parks doesn't quite scan :P

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »
    I've probably said this before but one of the things I thought they were doing in Beyond Earth prior to release was effectively having you create your own faction. Like choosing a leader with their own ability, then a sponsor with their own ability, then choosing what kind of colonists you were bringing, etc. Maybe have some default names for faction combinations.

It seemed like they were going for a spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri that made the sponsors bland-ish because they were letting you construct your own faction, yet in the end they were just boring civs and your non-sponsor choices at the beginning barely mattered. I think if nothing else about the game had been changed but you were creating your own faction from various (truly significant) pieces, it would've been better received. Maybe not hugely better but still better.

Really though, never mind the factions: the game also needed to make actual use of its lore about the planet and your technology. There's a lot of text in the game about the various technologies and stuff that you have to dig into the Civilopedia to actually see. One of AC's great touches was...well, 1) having quotes that last more than a sentence or two. and 2) letting you view the description of what the hell you just researched right from the "tech researched" box. What about Physics did I just research?? That physics exist??

It was a serious ball-drop.

Seriously, the techs and projects felt really cool to achieve because they felt meaningful. You were messing with the fundamental nature of reality and the psyche. The videos were fantastic at depicting that in creative and memorable ways.

Who doesn't remember The Dream Twister, for example?

It's really awful how Alpha Centauri nailed how to make Wonders feel like significant accomplishments and how little Civilization does to hype up theirs. When I played Alpha Centauri back in the day, I assumed interesting little movies for Wonders were going to be the default going forward. How wrong I was.

Speaking of memorability... I can probably quote a lot of Alpha Centauri quotes from memory. I don't think I can remember any from Beyond Earth. I mean, who can forget "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and to become one with all the people"?

In my head, I still append, "Academician Prokhor Zakharov, For I Have Tasted the Fruit" to things.

• Options
    Daoming is a technocrat engineer(less malevolent yang)

A lot of Beyond Earth leaders came across as less malevolent versions of specific Alpha Centauri leaders, which I think was part of the problem.

The Alpha Centauri leaders were fun because of how evil and crazy most of them were!

• Options
    edited March 2019

A lot of Beyond Earth leaders came across as less malevolent versions of specific Alpha Centauri leaders, which I think was part of the problem.

The Alpha Centauri leaders were fun because of how evil and crazy most of them were!

I think with the factions representing modern countries they wanted to avoid too much negative stereotyping so they toned them down some, and it was too bland (again this was avoided with rising tide, but imagine if Han Jae-Moon had been given the same treatment Rejinaldo was or vice versa.)

Edit: I mean just looking at a general description of the cast it doesn’t seem nearly as bland as it turned out:

A CIA spy turned corporate CEO
    A humanitarian anti-imperialist
    A free trade corporate marketeer
    A technocratic engineer
    A hardcore cold war style rockets space and tech guy.
    An old European cultural imperialist
    A new age spiritualist cult leader
    A militaristic strongman

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular

Lady Deidra Skye, she's just an environmentalist hippie, that doesn't sound bad.

*pays attention to the details surrounding "the secret war" and realizes that this

https://youtu.be/2L5JgTkxAkg

video is an after action report where the Gaians were the ones secretly controlling the mindworms.*

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

Citizen that kind of talk will get you nerve stapled!

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »

Lady Deidra Skye, she's just an environmentalist hippie, that doesn't sound bad.

*pays attention to the details surrounding "the secret war" and realizes that this

video is an after action report where the Gaians were the ones secretly controlling the mindworms.*

Ah, yeah. The hippies go to war with the survive-at-all-costs militarists and the hippies win.

Planet really is terrifying.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    The funny thing about Alpha Centauri is how literally every faction either starts as or devolves into a dystopia canonically.

• Options
    Gundi wrote: »
    The funny thing about Alpha Centauri is how literally every faction either starts as or devolves into a dystopia canonically.

Peacekeepers? There only problem was overcrowding wasn’t it?

I imagine life in the free drones probably wasn’t terrible.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular

I don’t think the peacekeepers ever went that crazy right?

• Options
    The Peacekeeper leader wanted to extend human rights to the feral space monsters that were eating everybody. That's pretty crazy.

The Free Drones didn't get a lot of lore, but I like to imagine their society fell apart when they tried to transition to an alcohol based economy.

• Options
    I always imagined the Peacekeepers eventually got eaten alive by the other factions or Planet itself.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    The thing about the Gaians is while they certainly play hardball and use some very nasty means to go about it, life in their settlements seems to be on the better side of things. They also have the whole deal with figuring out what is going on with Planet and there being bigger stakes at hand such that they can't mess around with keeping the Spartans at bay and pouring all the resources they need for other stuff into that conflict. Santiago really does not come across as someone able to compromise or work with others on these types of issues.

I haven't read any of the books, just the prologue episodes released before the game came out as well as the flavour text in the game.

Also, here are a few things I never knew:
    The first time your faction builds a Mind Worm boil, there's a text interlude that has your faction leader instructing one of your most trusted Talents to learn how to command them. If that first Mind Worm boil is destroyed in battle, another text interlude tells you she was burned to death by the enemy while trying to surrender. If you capture the enemy base the unit that killed her was produced in, it is automatically renamed in tribute to your fallen friend.
    If you managed to get an alliance conquest ending (having a Pact of Brother/Sisterhood with all the remaining factions), the ending text reveals that the remains faction leaders were finally able to put their ideological differences aside and unite humanity to face the dangers of Planet as one. They're working along side each other as colleagues like they once did on the Unity.

Caedwyr on
  • Options
    So I was just going to make a note for beyond earth, the last time I tried the Codex mod was a few years ago, v5 I think.

V7 is out now, and a lot of the quibbles I had with the older version look like they have been fixed. I don't have extensive experience with it because I just noticed the update today, but if you have always thought "I like the style of Beyond Earth but don't like the gameplay" it may be worth a try. It's basically a ground up mechanical remake, with a traditional tech tree, a different take on affinities (affinity as religion, kind of ), city specializations, etc.

I haven't extensively played it, but it seems solid. There's some Civ5, some Civ6, some BE, some AC.

• Options
    Whoo won an immortal culture victory as the Mauri without polluting the earth a bit.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    OK, two things: one, Seasteads are amazing; twelve point ocean tiles are a thing.
    Two, you can send ships through mountain tunnels. Yes, really; if you happen to have a mountain range that has tiles directly on the coast (sea or lake) and you put the tunnel portals on those tiles, ships can use them to teleport between the two.
    Found this out entirely by accident, playing Kupe. Had Lautaro as a neighbour on the other side of the Himalayas to Bangalore which was built in the shadow of Everest (tunnels can also pass through ‘special’ mountains too, btw, even if they can’t be placed on them) and had a lake on two sides of the range. If he was ever anything less than friendly, he was gonna get a Battleship Surprise right in the middle of his landlocked empire…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I got a surface tablet and playing civ 6 on it is amazing. Touchscreen interface is mostly great. Directing units to move is the only thing that isnt great but its not a huge deal.

I started up a game as mali while in an airport and then kept the game going while on the plane. Its really good!

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    I think the nuclear plant disasters happen a little too often. It feels like its not worth transitioning to nuclear since you end up using production on maintenance.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    If you managed to get an alliance conquest ending (having a Pact of Brother/Sisterhood with all the remaining factions), the ending text reveals that the remains faction leaders were finally able to put their ideological differences aside and unite humanity to face the dangers of Planet as one. They're working along side each other as colleagues like they once did on the Unity.

I was thinking about this last night and it made me wonder why the diplomacy options from Alpha Centauri were not copied. Having the option to make a deeper pact with an ally and actually win a conquest game without having to turn on your allies is something I have wished 4x games would do for a long time. I never even considered that it would have been an option in Alpha Centauri.

• Options
    Jephery wrote: »
    I think the nuclear plant disasters happen a little too often. It feels like its not worth transitioning to nuclear since you end up using production on maintenance.

Only if you build one in every city. I snuck a small city into a mountain pass between three others and stuck a nuke in there. 16 power per Uranium is a lot and it spreads six tiles so it covered all of them. By the time I was adding even more power-hungry stuff I could cover any shortfall with local renewables. It also meant I only had to keep an eye on a couple of plants instead of running around recommissioning a dozen or more.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Hungary is made even dumber when Kupe lands his initial settler next to your warrior. Had like 2k science on turn 210 or something. Got bored so recaptured all 3.5k carbon I had emitted.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    So I decided to go from playing some of the best civs in the expansion (mali, maori) to probably the weakest one, Canada. This is immortal, pangea, standard size, level 3 disasters. Got a real interesting start:
    44C08464B66AFFD9891E9A9E91ABE0A94641BFCD
    That's Alexander to the west of me with a truly massive series of mountain ranges bisecting the continent and slowly turning east. The only pass though them in the northern half of the continent is that tiny little one tile pathway by Toronto. To the west along the vast northern plains lies Sweden, south of her is China, far to the south is Phoenicia, and far... somewhere, lies germany. Built the temple of artemis in my capital since I really needed the housing since my capital was just surrounded by hills. Not sure what to do now. I can put a few more (probably not very good) cities on the northern tundra but ultimately I'm probably going to need to go to war. Sweden is the obvious choice, since the terrain to the west is terrible and Alexander is gonna be at his strongest in the classical age.

I feel like Canada's leader ability really needs something extra. Being able to farm tundra tiles means tundra cities aren't totally garbage, but it hardly makes them even mediocre. I feel like it'd be nice if Canada got perhaps a food or production bonus to farms in tundra, perhaps as a delayed bonus unlocked when regular farm bonuses are unlocked.

Likewise, Canada's war declaration ability is pretty bad in singleplayer. Warmongering city states early on is one of the surest ways to keep up with the AI's insane bonuses on high difficulties. I could see it being very useful in multiplayer though. You wouldn't have to guard civilian units, would get warning from other player's intentions to war you since they'd need to use CBs. Still, even in multiplayer you wouldn't be able to expand as quickly as other players since they likely would annex at least a few city states.

Haven't gotten to it yet, but their unique improvement seems nice... but kind of totally outclassed by a number of other civ's cultural tile improvements/culture yield abilities.

Like, just off the top of my head the culture yields from a large city Maori are much better with their ampitheater replacement and Mapuche can (with clever planning) get extremely culturally productive tiles.(and both their culture bonuses come much earlier) The fact that it is absolutely limited to one per city is a real downside. The only way I think Canada can beat other civs with culture output is spamming lots of tiny packed cities together. But even then you are limited to tundra and snow areas. All that being said, it's still a good, useful improvement, it's just that there are other civs that do similar things way better.

Mounties are Canada's best trait, but only because they are an alternative way to build natural parks. But still, hey, that's real good. Other civs would kill for the ability to establish national parks at 400 production a pop. Another reason to spam cities in tundra I guess.

• Options
    I turned on legendary starts for my Canada game so got a pretty great start. Seven wheats, flood plains, and Everest five tiles away. Then I chariot rushed Georgia because they had the really good land with volcanoes and actual hills.

• Options
    After trying diplomatic victory, it really feels best as a fallback for a Culture victory game at higher difficulties. If you're science focused you can just win the space race or try to finish domination, but the cultural victory can turn into a situation where no one can pull it off, and you're too behind on science to knock out your main tourism competitor in a war.

On lower difficulties you can just win with culture or domination really early.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    Even on higher difficulties you should absolutely be able to win some other victory type before you get a diplomatic one.

• Options
    Even on higher difficulties you should absolutely be able to win some other victory type before you get a diplomatic one.

Depends how many disaster recovery resolutions happen.

• Options
    Also uh wow Hungary is really busted.

Oh and apparently their district bonus only works directly across a river from the city center, so I wish they made that a bit clearer in the description.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Egypt's floodplain bias with the flood immunity was fun. The tiles just keep stacking +1 food and sometimes even +1 production. Sphinx can be built adjacent to each other now, so spamming them for tile appeal and tourism made culture victory very convenient.

Jephery on
    }
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    So about the Vesuvius achievement. It seems like volcanoes do pop damage based on the number of tiles they affect, and Vesuvius always erupts on the maximum number of tiles from what I could tell. A Vesuvius with 2 affected non-mountain tiles always did 2 pop damage, while a 4 tile Vesusius did 4 damage each eruption, so to get the achievement you need to find a Vesuvius with 6 tiles open around it.

Jephery on
    }
  • Options
    Hey the AI launched a vaguely competent attack! From overseas even! Good job Kongo. You took one of my cities and an allied city state because I built my usual skeleton crew army and I had them in the wrong place. And then you built an impressive number of privateers.

Of course, once I actually bothered to learn some military techs and build a navy, I crushed them and took their wonder heavy island (Mausoleum and Pyramids, among other things...also the dumbest fucking Petra when I could have had an amazing one). But still! Progress!

• Options
    Ah, yes AI players putting Petra on their only desert tile… the devs promised that was something they were trying to suppress.

• Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Ah, yes AI players putting Petra on their only desert tile… the devs promised that was something they were trying to suppress.

Honestly its not a bad strategic move by the AI if they have production to spare to deny petra to the other competitors. Its dickish but something I could see someone doing in multi.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Honestly its not a bad strategic move by the AI if they have production to spare to deny petra to the other competitors. Its dickish but something I could see someone doing in multi.

It's also a way to turn an otherwise useless desert tile into tourism if you're going culture.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Really starting to love the new Cahokia mounds. They're maybe op, +1 Amenity for the first and second mound, and +1/2 Housing each is incredible.

}
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Has anybody noticed the enemy turns processing slower in the expac? It feels like even in the classical era enemy turns take about as long as they used to in industrial.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Beefers wrote: »
    It looks like they have taken steps towards a dynamic climate, the next step would be a basic hydrology model (ground and surface water), followed by a state and transition model for biomes.

The devs mentioned in a livestream that they did experiment with tiles changing terrain type, such as grassland becoming tundra if it became too cold or becoming desert if it became too dry, but decided against implementing that.

Presumably, it caused to much unpredictability for civs that get special bonuses for settling near specific types of terrain, such as Russia, Nubia, Canada, and the Mali.
    It's funny cause I remember way back in the first Civ game that would happen. But then the only difference between the different civs until 3 was color and leader/name.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I have a critical question about Civ VI: are there wonder videos? I was browsing youtube the other day and was reminded that Civ IV had wonder videos (as did some of the other earlier Civilization games), but Civ V didn't get videos at all.

• Options
    There is an animation of it being built on the tile, that's it really.

steam_sig.png