As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Civilization] New civs, leaders, game features announced as a new season. Vampires!

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Russia, Arabia, and Sumer left to go and possibly also Poland. No science-y civs yet, but those could probably fit. I'd imagine Russia wants to go wide and has some science or culture bonuses, Arabia would have religion and trade bonuses, Sumer could go lots of directions. Poland I also don't know enough about.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2016
    I think I'd prefer of they didn't give us a civ with a flat science focus, because I don't think they really have a way to balance it. I think they've removed all the % science bonuses, which would help prevent runaways, but I'm still not sold that they know how to keep an even field. Science just bleeds into too many other areas.

A duck! on
  • Options
    While that's true there are civs with early culture boosts like Rome, and with culture half the tech tree, it'd be weird to not to.

Though China has the eureka thing which I always forget.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    While that's true there are civs with early culture boosts like Rome, and with culture half the tech tree, it'd be weird to not to.

I saw some math on Fanatics that presented the bonus as smaller than some (certainly me) would guess originally. It was something like around a turn or less for each tech you have a eureka for over another civ with that eureka (on regular speeds). It's good, but it's not like Babylon good.

As for culture, does it unlock any units? I haven't sat down and watched a stream in a while, but I'm not sure I've seen any units unlocked solely through culture.

A duck! on
  • Options
    A steak! wrote: »

I saw some math on Fanatics that presented the bonus as smaller than some (certainly me) would guess originally. It was something like around a turn or less for each tech you have a eureka for over another civ with that eureka (on regular speeds). It's good, but it's not like Babylon good.

As for culture, does it unlock any units? I haven't sat down and watched a stream in a while, but I'm not sure I've seen any units unlocked solely through culture.

It definitely unlocks governments, policies, and wonders. I think some of the districts as well. Nothing militarily. But there are policies to tweak basically everything that would spill over into production and science generation. I think Rome's free monuments is super strong.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Some people have found evidence that Arabia might have a science theme this time around. Their unique building was leaked. It's called the Madrasa, and it replaces the University. It's unlocked with the Theology civic, instead of the Education tech, so that means Arabia gets their second science building much earlier than everyone else.

In related news, we've recently discovered that 2K has been sending out a nearly completed version of the game to various review websites and popular youtubers. Their NDAs end on September 29, so it's likely we'll find out about all three remaining Civs next week.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    A steak! wrote: »

It definitely unlocks governments, policies, and wonders. I think some of the districts as well. Nothing militarily. But there are policies to tweak basically everything that would spill over into production and science generation. I think Rome's free monuments is super strong.

Oh it is definitely strong. To me it proves a lesson they didn't learn from V, which is that free buildings (especially in your early build order) is a very desirable boost. Coupled with the free amenity and extra growth potential with the baths it's like they took the best parts of the tradition tree and turned it into a civ.

A duck! on
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Poland seems like it'd would be a tall, cultural civ. Maybe with a way to annex city states to represent the Commonwealth.

Summer I could see as a science civ thanks to writing.

Russia I could also see as a Science civ, thanks to their scientific output during the later half of 20th century.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Ivan Hunger was warned for this.
    The civics tree only unlocks one military unit, the Privateer. It's main contribution to aggression is the military policy cards it unlocks.

However, the abilities to fuse your units into Corps and Armies are also unlocked by civics. A Corps is created by fusing two units of the same type, and an Army is created by fusing four. Corps and Armies are much stronger than ordinary units.

A duck! on
  • Options
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Adventures with Enkidu: Joint war option unlocked with the Foreign Trade civic. When you declare a joint war, allied units will share pillaging rewards and experience with your closest unit and vice versa. AI leaders will not give you a warmonger diplomatic penalty for declaring war on an empire who is at war with an empire you have declared friendship with. Levying City State military units costs 50% less gold.
    Epic Quest: Clearing Barbarian Camps gives you the same rewards as finding Tribal Villages.
    War Cart: Heavy cavalry unit. Does not require any research to unlock. Does not take extra damage from anti-cavalry units. Gets extra movement if it begins the turn on an open terrain tile.
    Ziggurat: Improvement that generates science. Generates culture on river tiles. Cannot be build on hills.

From the Civilization Reddit, here's Firaxis employee Pete Murray describing what it feels like to have AI Gilgamesh start right next to you:
    Some people are fast out of the gate in Civ. The Aztec, for example, and the Scythians, are two Civs that bring a lot of hurt early. But Sumeria is something else entirely. When humanity wakes at the Dawn of Time in Civ, Gilgamesh has been up for half an hour already, has made you breakfast, built a Ziggurat, hitched up the War Cart, and is ready to go.

Gilgamesh is your new best friend. He loves, and I mean loves his allies. He feels your pain. He rejoices when you rejoice. He goes to war with you. He is fired up. He has the car loaded. Montezuma declares war on you. Before Tomyris is finished denouncing him, Gilgamesh is punching Monty in the face with his enormous, beefy fists. He calls his left fist "The Vengence of Ur" and his right fist "The Vengence of Enlil." You've pointed out that maybe he could pick another nickname than "Vengence" for one of those fists, but he always laughs and slaps you so hard on the back you can hear your teeth rattle.

Then he holds Monty upside down and shakes him, and points to the pocket change that falls out: "Go halfsies?" he asks, grinning.

Everyone knows that Gilgamesh is about the business. Everyone knows you don't touch his friends, because he will come for you. And when you play as Gilgamesh, you can take care of your friends when they get hurt. You don't get the Warmonger penalty when you declare war on anyone at war with your allies. You are Gilgamesh. You look after your own, man. Because you know, deep down inside, in the marrow of your bones, that it wasn't technology or religion or agriculture that caused civilization to come into being.

It was friendship. Gilgamesh extends the Vengence of Enlil to you, and you bump it with your own.

Ivan Hunger on
  • Options
    For the lazy who don't want to watch:

Taking barbarian camps = goody hut
    War Cart is a chariot without the anti-cavalry penalties and is faster in open terrain
    Ziggurat- unique tile improvement with science and culture bonuses next to rivers, can't be built on hills
    Both of those available on turn 1
    Gilgamesh's ability is that he shares pillage and experience gains with an allied unit within five tiles when fighting joint wars

• Options
    AhiMahiAhiMahi Registered User regular
    More HYPE!

But seriously, I really wonder how the game balance will be.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    AhiMahi wrote: »
    More HYPE!

This is something I really only care about for multiplayer which I almost never play. Otherwise I just want every Civ to be fun and relatively unique.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    They're making them more unique for sure, and I think I'll be really hyped by the expansion additions at this rate. I know there is a Civ V modded civilization that treats destroyed barbarian camps as goody ruins. I've always thought that was a cool ability.

Arabia, Russia and Gorgo (for the Greeks) are left to see. I expect the first to be faith-based or desert-based with a combat-boosting/faith-warring leader, the second to have a territory or terrain-based civ ability and a science and/or culture-oriented leader ability. As for the third, I expect some military benefit.

Absalon on
  • Options
    AhiMahi wrote: »
    More HYPE!

This is something I really only care about for multiplayer which I almost never play. Otherwise I just want every Civ to be fun and relatively unique.

I was thinking more of how AI will play with its own unique advantage for each race, even at average difficulty. I believe there will be easier race to play vs more challenging ones.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    So far Sumeria, Scythia and Kongo are my top picks for my first game. All have very cool mechainics and are new to the game or returning after a long time.

Hopeing Poland comes back, and excited to see what Russia brings.

Also I tried to play BE again after a long break and lord did rising tide add a lot. So much to keep track of.

JusticeforPluto on
  • Options
    Amplitude's Endless Legend is a 4X game with very asymmetrical factions. I really enjoyed that aspect of it, and it made me wish Firaxis would do something similar in the next Civ game.

And then that ended up happening! :D

Come to think of it, the district system in Civ 6 is also similar to Endless Legend's boroughs, at least superficially. I definitely think someone at Firaxis played it.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Gilgamesh looks like the most sympathetic broheim ever. I want to go on a fishing trip with Gilgamesh and help him with maintenance and chopping firewood after the hangover has settled.

Absalon on
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I bought BE on release+dlc, but hardly played it.

Part of me wants to "get my money's worth" before I get 6.

The other part of me is deciding between the regular or delux version pre-orders.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Righteousness of the Faith: The worship building of your own religion costs less faith to build and generates science, culture, and additional faith.
    The Last Prophet: When the second to last Great Prophet in the game is claimed by a rival, if you haven't already received a Great Prophet, you get one for free.
    Mamluk: Replaces the Knight. Regenerates health every turn, regardless of whether an action was performed.
    Madrasa: Replaces the University. Generates additional science. Generates faith equal to the amount of science generated by the adjacency bonuses of the campus it is built in.

A very balanced religious civ. Less aggressive than Spain, but less passive than India or Kongo.

Ivan Hunger on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    I bought BE on release+dlc, but hardly played it.

Part of me wants to "get my money's worth" before I get 6.

The other part of me is deciding between the regular or delux version pre-orders.

I've been thinking about playing some BE for a while once the new Wow expansion loses its luster for me (which is unfortunately happening pretty quick). I hear good things about the Event Horizon mod that is so popular on steam.

On the other hand, all this civ 6 stuff sounds awesome.

Endless legend was one of those games where I loved the ideas and aesthetics behind the civs but actually playing it never clicked for me.

• Options

Righteousness of the Faith: The worship building of your own religion costs less faith to build and generates science, culture, and additional faith.
    The Last Prophet: When the second to last Great Prophet in the game is claimed by a rival, if you haven't already received a Great Prophet, you get one for free.
    Mamluk: Replaces the Knight. Regenerates health every turn, regardless of whether an action was performed.
    Madrasa: Replaces the University. Generates additional science. Generates faith equal to the amount of science generated by the adjacency bonuses of the campus it is built in.

A very balanced religious civ. Less aggressive than Spain, but less passive than India or Kongo.

Last Prophet seems kinda meh? Other wise solid.

• Options
    These are coming out quicker and they're going to be done by what, next week at this rate? Maybe there's a first x turns demo coming?

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I don't know, i like the fact that I can basically automatically get religion without having to prioritize early faith buildings.

Last Prophet is going to be interesting. Whether you even know whether Saladin is in the game you have to really race for a prophet now. Like, if you didn't get the second to last one you may not get one at all.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    These are coming out quicker and they're going to be done by what, next week at this rate? Maybe there's a first x turns demo coming?

NDA ends tomorrow too.

• Options
    I don't know, i like the fact that I can basically automatically get religion without having to prioritize early faith buildings.

Last Prophet is going to be interesting. Whether you even know whether Saladin is in the game you have to really race for a prophet now. Like, if you didn't get the second to last one you may not get one at all.

On the other hand, their worship building getting bonus faith/science/culture makes it still a major priority because of snowballing.

• Options
    Yeah, Last Prophet is all about opportunity cost.

You can ignore Holy Sites completely until you get that free Prophet, then spam them everywhere.

All that early game production that you weren't spending on Holy Sites can go to other parts of your infrastructure instead, giving you a solid early game foundation for when you start leaning heavily into the religious competition later on.

• Options
    AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular
    Last Prophet is probably mediocre on lower difficulties but unreasonably good on whatever civ 6's equivalent of Deity is.

• Options
    Absalon wrote: »

NDA ends tomorrow too.

I guess I will be binge watching Civ7 youtube vid this weekend.

• Options
    Whoa were skipping 6?

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Whoa were skipping 6?

Its like Windows 9 vs. 10, 7 just sounds a lot cooler than 6.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Whoa were skipping 6?

Its like Windows 9 vs. 10, 7 just sounds a lot cooler than 6.

So we have to the reverse 7 ate 9 joke.

https://imgur.com/LX9xa48

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Two dummies, again, playing the preview version as the Norwegian Empire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDcfppKeDmE

I am becoming inordinately excited about this game. Even considering the 20% preorder from Bundle Stars, but i've got all the way up to release to decide on that or not. I'm fairly confident there won't be a Beyond Earth situation but anything is possible I guess.

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Here's another rather glowing review. I might actually have to buy this at release.

• Options
    Most important news so far is settlers remain settlers when captured.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Most important news so far is settlers remain settlers when captured.

You mean I can't pave my roads with the skulls of fallen frontiersmen?

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Heck, I got the pre-order for the soundtrack. I never expected the vanilla game to be good