As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] It's High Nerf

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    ultimate skins in league have vastly more visual alterations than the legendary skins in overwatch
    I think they look pretty low res and bad but that's not the point

I guess you can compare them to the next tier down of skin if you want

would you pay $18 for a legendary skin in overwatch because that seems really expensive compared to free over time

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    there's a lot of quality of life features in steam that I wish blizzard would copy

Heck, I just wish the game was on steam.

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    neither A nor B are provably true.

Especially in the face of the largest free to play systems relying on simple purchase first and having gambling mechanics as a secondary aspect. Heck league of legends (which I suppose it's worth pointing out I've put way more money into than I ever will overwatche's) didn't even have boxes till a few months ago and still managed to take in cash with its cosmetics.
    aren't ultimate skins in league $30 or something

I would gladly take free random boxes when you level over that bullshit

I don't think you get how shiny those skins are

they're really really shiny

besides, they're not forcing you to get them, there are much cheaper alternatives

Nobody's forcing people to buy loot boxes either, tbf.

I mean, we can get into the psychology of gambling and the sunk cost fallacy

Loot boxes are predatory in a way known quantities aren't

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Am I the only person who likes sprays?

• Options
    Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    Do you have a resource for this? I don't mean the previous statement in a shitty "oh yeah prove it" sort of way, I'd actually be interested in learning more about this.

My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    no I like sprays

tbh the big problem is you can use one but there's a shitload in the boxes

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I apologize if I accidentally declined anyone from the group in that last game. I was inadvertently made group leader and had no idea what I was doing.

• Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Blue map wrote: »
    Do you have a resource for this? I don't mean the previous statement in a shitty "oh yeah prove it" sort of way, I'd actually be interested in learning more about this.

I think It's more of a values thing. In Japan there was an actual government crackdown on microtransactions loot boxes for cash because they were

a) impossible to get and
    b) there was no transparency about your chance to get them

So in that situation there was quite a literal intent to sell someone a product that was unattainable. Proving that it isn't the case or people suspecting that is can be an inherent problem with that model.

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Am I the only one getting super annoyed at the whining over what a company should get to monetize and what it shouldn't?

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Then just pretend It's people arguing over what is worth paying money for and what isn't. Consumers can make choices too.

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    Am I the only one getting super annoyed at the whining over what a company should get to monetize and what it shouldn't?

Yes.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular

Annoyed by it, eh not so much, I'm used to it by now

But I certainly don't agree with them

Which is fine

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I don't get the hubub.

Sometimes I get skins in a box.

If I want a particular skin, I buy it with coins.

BFD.

• Options
    Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    No, but the discussion is on-topic and it's perfectly civil so...eh.

My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    ultimate skins in league have vastly more visual alterations than the legendary skins in overwatch

would you pay $18 for a legendary skin in overwatch because that seems really expensive compared to free over time

If it isn't the point, why mention it? The resolution isn't the thing that's important, it's the level of changes to the character. For the ultimate skins in League sometimes always have to do new particle and visual effects, and new voicework for them, and sometimes they have to change the announcer too like that fancy Ezreal skin, among other things. I don't know if that completely justifies the price tag, but it's a lot more stuff to change and add than the current Legendary skins for Overwatch, which aren't even equivalent to the Legendary skins in League, which now always change particle effects. They're more like the (current) standard alternative skins which change their appearance in ways more than just color, but don't change anything else, which are like $7.50 (975 RP). I would consider maybe throwing down $7.50 for some of the Legendary skins that catch my fancy.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Games have been $60 for what 15 years now? What's wrong with monetizing cosmetics to make up for game prices not going up with inflation for almost two decades? Basically every product sold in the world has cosmetic options that you can pay extra for.

If you don't think a particular product is worth charging money for but plenty of other people are willing to buy it then you are objectively wrong,

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Blue map wrote: »

http://www.nirandfar.com/2012/03/want-to-hook-your-users-drive-them-crazy.html

I couldn't find something specifically about buying random loot boxes but this is the gist of it:
    Skinner observed that lab mice responded most voraciously to random rewards. The mice would press a lever and sometimes they’d get a small treat, other times a large treat, and other times nothing at all. Unlike the mice that received the same treat every time, the mice that received variable rewards seemed to press the lever compulsively.

The only way to press the lever compulsively in Overwatch is to buy loot boxes because levels don't come all that fast.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    So I figured out that Plays.tv was causing me to have framerate lag in spots. Shame, because recording stuff was neat.

Also, game crashed right at the end of the a round on Gilbraltar.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Me and Slym are playing at the moment if anyone wants to join up.

• Options
    edited June 2016

If it isn't the point, why mention it? The resolution isn't the thing that's important, it's the level of changes to the character. For the ultimate skins in League sometimes always have to do new particle and visual effects, and new voicework for them, and sometimes they have to change the announcer too like that fancy Ezreal skin, among other things. I don't know if that completely justifies the price tag, but it's a lot more stuff to change and add than the current Legendary skins for Overwatch, which aren't even equivalent to the Legendary skins in League, which now always change particle effects. They're more like the (current) standard alternative skins which change their appearance in ways more than just color, but don't change anything else, which are like $7.50 (975 RP). I would consider maybe throwing down $7.50 for some of the Legendary skins that catch my fancy.
    yeah and the legendary skins in overwatch are random too

however you get a bunch of other stuff like poses and voice lines

considering a legendary skin is $10 in overwatch it doesn't seem nearly as egregious as people are making it out to be

plus you can eventually get all of it for free, where in league you have to spend RP to get skins

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

Yeah this. Lets look at Sona for example, the most recent (I think) ultimate skin in LoL
    Heres a guy playing with the basic Sona skin
    Heres her mid price skin, Arcade Sona (its 1300 RP) You can see it has some new effectsn new sound bits and a new recall effect and its flashy

Now heres her ultimate skin DJ Sona priced at 3250 RP. Which is like $25 I think
    bunch of new animation, new sound and music, all of her abilities have work done to them and do stuff.

The ultimate skins in LoL are nearly completely new characters in terms of design. And if its someone you play a ton of then its something to work towards. Though you also have a chance to get them as drops in mystery boxes and from the new Hextech Loot System (I got Arcade Sona from that and am building towards an ultimate for another character)

• Options
    Games have been $60 for what 15 years now? What's wrong with monetizing cosmetics to make up for game prices not going up with inflation for almost two decades? Basically every product sold in the world has cosmetic options that you can pay extra for.

If you don't think a particular product is worth charging money for but plenty of other people are willing to buy it then you are objectively wrong,

Plenty of people are willing to buy the fake Parmesan cheese that can only be legally sold as "grated flavoring," but I'm still not going to buy it at any price point. Not every consumer has the same preference.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Also, games are not $60 depending on your region

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular

The problem isn't that they are selling cosmetic items.

Cause they aren't.

They are selling a blind box with a miniscule chance of having the thing you want in it, which is cruddy and also designed to prey on people that get hooked trying to open the items they want.

Also that is not what objectively means.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    is there a way to opt out of skirmish

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    you must really hate ccg booster packs huh

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    is there a way to opt out of skirmish

yeah, there's something in the options you can turn off if you don't want the game to put you into a skirmish while trying to find a match

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Anyway just throwing this out here

If the 1600 hour number is real I don't think you free get stuff at a slower rate in hearthstone or heros of the storm. People would probably feel better if the price of a box was half, the rate of experience gain was double, and you got half as many items per box.

For those of you not keeping score at home, that would be just as many items as now but in a different way.

I mean, as it stands the pricing just feels wrong for a blizzard game. There are less items that I actually want from loot boxes than say a hearthstone pack, and the $1.99 for two pack rate just feels awkward. For the expected value of the loot box I'm more price sensitive there than I would be for say a hearthstone pack.

Now if you charged me $1.99 for an xp boost that significantly rewarded wins, medals, and losses, please take my money.

For what It's worth I think this is actually why WoTC started really pushing pre-made decks with a booster on the side and other stuff like that.

Zoel on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited June 2016

In most CCG's you can just straight up buy the cards you want at card shops or online. Even in Hearthstone you can break down stuff you don't want for stuff you do want, and excess cards give more dust than repeat Overwatch stuff gives coins.

Edit: Also you can trade or sell your cards that you don't want in real life.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options

Yes I think they're bad. Next question

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    turtleant wrote: »

Cause they aren't.

They are selling a blind box with a miniscule chance of having the thing you want in it, which is cruddy and also designed to prey on people that get hooked trying to open the items they want.

If people are willing to pay for those boxes they are worth it and you are OBJECTIVELY wrong

• Options
    Also, yeah, games have become more expensive to make as inflation rises

consumer purchasing power has not risen at the same rate

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Cause they aren't.

If people are willing to pay for those boxes they are worth it and you are OBJECTIVELY wrong

People also gamble themselves into paupers graves, so I guess gambling is always OBJECTIVELY worth it. I mean, they were willing to keep gambling!

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options

In most CCG's you can just straight up buy the cards you want at card shops or online. Even in Hearthstone you can break down stuff you don't want for stuff you do want, and excess cards give more dust than repeat Overwatch stuff gives coins.

That's true, overwatch should have a manual disenchant option

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Games have gotten way cheaper

SNES games were like 80 bucks

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Cause they aren't.

People also gamble themselves into paupers graves, so I guess gambling is always OBJECTIVELY worth it. I mean, they were willing to keep gambling!

I mean yes

They are selling something that some people think is worth buying

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    If we start using the word OBJECTIVELY in capital letters I will start typing LITERALLY in capital letters until everyone in the thread is rendered unconscious.

• Options

Cause they aren't.

are people not allowed to make bad decisions or something

if they wanna do it they can do it

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    and we're allowed to criticize people who enable them

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

That's true, overwatch should have a manual disenchant option

But I mean

They have an automatic one

When you get a duplicate they are dusting it for you and giving you the currency

This discussion has been closed.