As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

HITMAN 2 is probably still the best hitman but HITMAN Ill has some cool things going on

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    i never touched the hitman 2 dlc so i'm excited to get around to that

is Patient Zero fun? that's another big piece of extra content i never played, is it worth going through or is it more of an "eh if you've played everything else and you're bored then why not"

It’s more Hitman. The set dressing and additional dialogue added to the old levels is well done, and there are some challenges where targets move locations for a handoff - removing opportunities at one location while doubling security at another.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Patient Zero is pretty good. The Colorado mission is fun sniping, and Hokkaido can get hilariously out of control in a unique way (if nothing else play Hokkaido)

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Dual wielding pistols makes VERY little sense in Hitman as it exists now

It is very much Not A Shooter

Yeah, I just remember it's absence being a big complaint early on with H1, especially since so much promotional stuff from the earlier games had the double silverballers.

Being a shooter is technically an option though...it will just probably go very poorly for you.
    The Electrocution Phone from the Bank level mastery has been removed, which is fair because it completely broke elusive targets as it was as close to a 100% thing as you can get in hitman

Wow, I was expecting a nerf instead of a complete deletion, but I guess it's kind of hard to nerf that one. Only thing I could think of is to make it a mild shock that only knocks the target out unless they're standing in water, though that would still be quite powerful.

So it sounds like the holiday missions are missing again, but will hopefully be back by the time the Steam version comes out (if they don't make them temporary the first go around like they did with H2). Ghost Mode didn't return but that doesn't really bother me as I only played it for unlocks (and didn't even get all of those actually, damn...does the suit and stuff carry over if you have it?).

Anything new with Sniper Assassin or is it still the same levels and everything? I hope sniper upgrades in that carry over too because I don't want to do it again.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I swear I had a Pale Duck or something in one of the other Hitman games but I don't seem to have it in 3. Already itching for them to import the levels from 2 for free on PC. I know it's coming but I haven't messed around in those as much as in 1.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    trying to play these hitman games as a third person shooter is pretty interesting, because it actually has some pretty sleek controls and good weapons

but the guards aren't programmed to cheat in the players favour, like other games do

Uncharted (and pretty much every single shooter with hitscan weapons and cover) has the whole thing where enemies will miss all their shots for a second or so after you pop out of cover, or conveniently synchonise their reloads to give you a break to act. But just by removing those two things, suddenly firefights just aren't viable in hitman.

Well, also the fact that health really doesn't regenerate until you are out of combat

Lalabox on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    @Speed Racer I think the hitman 2 dlc maps are some of the most fun maps in the franchise, period. new york bank and glitzy maldives resort for the super rich? yes please

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I feel like the complaints about the lack of dual Silverballers in the first one was just because they are a series staple, their absence seems odd until you realize that enemies shooting at you is generally a fail state in Reboot Hitman

Older Hitman games had straight up stages that were big shootouts

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    I haven't played Hitman 2 or 3, but the shootouts in 1 were only more dangerous than Blood Money because there were so many more guards on every single map. I still rampaged through most of the maps at least once in much the same fashion as I did in Blood Money.

Dual Silverballers would be silly and more of a hindrance than a help in Hitman 1, but to be honest I felt the same way about them in BM.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    I think there is absolutely a mercy period of 1-2 seconds when a shootout starts where enemy misses are much more likely; but that shootouts in hitman usually occur in much closer range and closer quarters than your average Uncharted game, and the likelihood of missed balanced out with the tighter proximity

the synchronised reloads though I wasn't aware of, that sounds like a cool and subtle mechanic to make firefights more viable

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I don't remember if this happened in other levels, but what sends me about New York is
    In front of the vault you can turn on that tv and rather than the usual routine of somebody getting annoyed and turning it off, two guards walk to it and just stand there forever. Assuming you've used the thermostat to deal with guard #3, guard #4 is easily dealt with and you can walk right into the vault.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Yeah I played New York for the first time tonight, I thought getting into the vault would be way harder lol, they give you everything you need all in the same room

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    I think there is absolutely a mercy period of 1-2 seconds when a shootout starts where enemy misses are much more likely; but that shootouts in hitman usually occur in much closer range and closer quarters than your average Uncharted game, and the likelihood of missed balanced out with the tighter proximity

the synchronised reloads though I wasn't aware of, that sounds like a cool and subtle mechanic to make firefights more viable

it's less when the shootout starts, and more the sticking your head out of cover to aim in the middle of the fight

like, there are all sorts of little beats built into enemy ai in most shooters so that when you emerge to stick your head out for a bit, enemies won't immediately unload on you and deal damage, you'll get a few moments grace (usually enough to hit/kill someone) and then you'll have to duck back down. Part of it is that they've given you an opening that you take advantage of, but enemies (especially if there are a bunch of them) are then programed not to "ambush" you when you stick your head out, so that you don't get hit for those few moments.

i just tried to see if there was a gmtk video about cheating in the player's favour which talked about it, which is where i thought i saw this, but i can't seem to find it now

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Dartmoor ruuules, that's a frontrunner for my favourite Hitman level so far.

My only wish was
    that we got a j'accuse moment with everyone together, but in her office makes practical sense.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Dartmoor ruuules, that's a frontrunner for my favourite Hitman level so far.

My only wish was
    that we got a j'accuse moment with everyone together, but in her office makes practical sense.
    I was expecting that which is why I didn't kill Patrick until on my way out, because fuck Patrick, but I guess it'd be hard to script for those you might have already killed. So Emma gets her rightful inheritance but no next of kin to pass it on to.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I’m on the last level now and will put proper thoughts in spoilers but an immediate non spoilery thing is that it’s kind of interesting and fun how some of the levels really do have a vibe of ‘actually it’s fine if you just shoot/get rowdy over perfection’ due to the fiction context and abundance of silenced automatics.

• Options
    right? this time I felt no guilt leaving corpses around because it fit the narrative of the level; in Sapienza or the suburban american neighborhood I'd have felt I was failing to live up to the "spirit" of agent 47's professional capacities

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I love how devs will spend hundreds of hours making immaculately detailed levels, and then not bother to make sure that when you poison a guy and he feels sick, his personal bodyguard doesn’t say “ewww you’ll have to change your grollies after that” in a cockney British accent. Also saying “ewww stay away from me!” to his rich and powerful boss he’s supposed to be protecting

It’s like it’s fine if you can’t record hundreds of hours of VO, but maybe turn off the voice lines like that when it comes to the targets personal bodyguards

Prohass on
  • Options
    i still find it funny every time it happens

everyone including their bodyguard jumping in to go "well, shouldn't have gotten sick, idiot. now get the fuck out of my sight"

• Options
    Lalabox wrote: »
    i still find it funny every time it happens

everyone including their bodyguard jumping in to go "well, shouldn't have gotten sick, idiot. now get the fuck out of my sight"

Especially since the reaction isn’t even to like vomiting or anything.

“Hmm I don’t feel right” *clutches stomach and heads to the bathroom*

“You disgust me! Begone from my sight!”

• Options
    edited January 2021
    In the challenge section of levels how do you track what “the classics” are? Like “complete silent assassin challenges” what does this refer to? Does this mean silent assassin kills of targets only?

Prohass on
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    In the challenge section of levels how do you track what “the classics” are? Like “complete silent assassin challenges” what does this refer to? Does this mean silent assassin kills of targets only?

yes, it's "get 17 Suit only Silent Assassin Ratings" "get 17 Sniper Assassin Ratings" etc and there's 18 (I think?) available across the trilogy

Also @Lars I can't believe I forgot this but there is infact a new mechanic in 3, which is each level having a few unlockable shortcuts. Yellow doors or ladders that can be opened from one side only that persist across playthroughs, which obviously makes accessing some areas faster or safer for later runs. It's small so I forgot until I was brushing my teeth last night but is significant.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So, Dubai seems pretty broken if you go at it fast enough:
    Any% (not caring about ranking): 8 seconds:
    Silent Assassin: 17 seconds:
    Silent Assassin Suit Only: 33 seconds: Yeah, I'm not going to be seeing the top of those leaderboards any time ever.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I love how devs will spend hundreds of hours making immaculately detailed levels, and then not bother to make sure that when you poison a guy and he feels sick, his personal bodyguard doesn’t say “ewww you’ll have to change your grollies after that” in a cockney British accent. Also saying “ewww stay away from me!” to his rich and powerful boss he’s supposed to be protecting

It’s like it’s fine if you can’t record hundreds of hours of VO, but maybe turn off the voice lines like that when it comes to the targets personal bodyguards

I'm pretty sure this is less that they don't bother and more that they know it's funnier this way

Like they could've written anything for those barks. It would've been just as much effort to be like "you don't look so good. Everyone! Give them some space!" Or to have the target themselves ask for privacy

But that's way less funny than a chiseled silent body guard suddenly going "ewwwwwww!"

• Options
    IOI have shown themselves to be willing to embrace glitches and memes that result from them.
    Like the Homing Briefcase.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    speaking of glitches

i played through Bangkok last night and maybe I'm just not remembering but it seems like it has a bunch of visual bugs in 3?

some of the sailboats out on the water constantly jitter, and there's some weird effect on the lattices where when you look at them for certain angles they either look like black squares or like, metal mario-lookin' texture. like some kinda shader error

(tweeter is me, i'm just showing a video of the boat glitch i mentioned)

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    The only glitch I noticed on PC also happened to be in the Bangkok level. In the laundromat, one row of the machines just never loaded the model texture. So there were those front-facing lids attached to nothing, and any item that was placed on top of the machines just appeared to be floating in midair.

I never noticed any other glitches in the game, so maybe Bangkok is just weird like that.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    The only glitch I noticed on PC also happened to be in the Bangkok level. In the laundromat, one row of the machines just never loaded the model texture. So there were those front-facing lids attached to nothing, and any item that was placed on top of the machines just appeared to be floating in midair.

I never noticed any other glitches in the game, so maybe Bangkok is just weird like that.

I had the same issue but in the raining China level. Invisible machines in the laundromat.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

I had the same issue but in the raining China level. Invisible machines in the laundromat.

Yeah, it's a row of laundry drums in my version, with a floating soda can on the top, P funny

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

Oh whoops, I WAS thinking of the raining China level. I'm getting my locations confused.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    There is that big laundry room in the basement of the hotel on Bangkok so it could have been there too! I might go look later since they are probably the same models.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I've noticed a sitting NPC with her hands going through her dress and a couple of jittery walking NPCs, but nothing major.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I've seen the boat glitch appear in a few levels, including with a member of the crowd in Dubai. It might be something with the textures clipping against each other, since the lady in the crowd glitched when she was walking through a crowd.

So far, the only serious issues I've had are with bodies being spotted through walls in enclosed rooms before I could stash them. The Maldives level, in particular, seems to have issues with this.

• Options
    So does the girlfriend of the lady you give relationship advice in China actually exist on the map somewhere? I spent some time walking around looking to see if I could find her and maybe try to get the two together.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I feel like the complaints about the lack of dual Silverballers in the first one was just because they are a series staple, their absence seems odd until you realize that enemies shooting at you is generally a fail state in Reboot Hitman

Older Hitman games had straight up stages that were big shootouts

The dual silverballers as A Thing is something that was added in the original Hitman 2: Silent Assassin and like everything from that game it's bad.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Must’ve taken a million photos of this flirting couple in the murder mystery level. I’m assuming maybe you need to be physically in the corridor or something for it to count?

Edit: ok tried that and still nothing

Gah same thing with Alexa during the family meeting, taking photos from every angle at every point during the meeting and nothing. I’ve taken hundreds of photos, hidden, from point blank, from far off, from different levels, zoomed in, zoomed out, of both of these challenges and nothings triggered the challenge to complete so I’m definitely thinking there’s something broken here and will leave them till later

Prohass on
  • Options
    Must’ve taken a million photos of this flirting couple in the murder mystery level. I’m assuming maybe you need to be physically in the corridor or something for it to count?
    I got it from the far side of the room north of them, but it took a few seconds after I moved on for it to pop up.

• Options
    klemming wrote: »
    I got it from the far side of the room north of them, but it took a few seconds after I moved on for it to pop up.

It randomly popped when I was taking photos from outside the hallway, even though I’d definitely taken a million from that position already

Unfortunately the photo of Alexa speaking at the meeting still won’t pop, and I’ve tried a million different shots, just gonna leave that for a while and hope they fix it or I have better luck later

• Options
    Has anyone on the PS5 version got some frame-long flashes on the screen? I'm seriously concerned that it's a GPU problem on my console, and getting a replacement is going to take months.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Also Lars I can't believe I forgot this but there is infact a new mechanic in 3, which is each level having a few unlockable shortcuts. Yellow doors or ladders that can be opened from one side only that persist across playthroughs, which obviously makes accessing some areas faster or safer for later runs. It's small so I forgot until I was brushing my teeth last night but is significant.

That's cool, I want to say I played another game recently with a feature like that but I can't remember what. My memory is just a giant video game mush for the past year or so.

Did they apply that to old levels too, or just the new ones?

• Options
    Lars wrote: »
    Also Lars I can't believe I forgot this but there is infact a new mechanic in 3, which is each level having a few unlockable shortcuts. Yellow doors or ladders that can be opened from one side only that persist across playthroughs, which obviously makes accessing some areas faster or safer for later runs. It's small so I forgot until I was brushing my teeth last night but is significant.

That's cool, I want to say I played another game recently with a feature like that but I can't remember what. My memory is just a giant video game mush for the past year or so.

Did they apply that to old levels too, or just the new ones?

afaik there's something similar in the dark soulses but I have not played those, also afaik it's just the new levels that have the feature

7qmGNt5.png