As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

HITMAN 2 is probably still the best hitman but HITMAN Ill has some cool things going on

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Thinking about it, more than the main story I've really liked the individual stories in the levels. Like, if you take the time to really dig around and eavesdrop on people, maybe do the story missions but not follow through by pushing them off the cliff at the end and so on, you can pick up a lot of interesting stuff. Mostly not about the overall plot, but in regards to the targets personal situations.

But for me the true heart of every Hitman game is learning enough about each level that you end up doing this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiKbSM1FGUg

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    and then you just get a little caught on the edge of the van because you get a bit cocky and have to lamp the security guard with the money bag right?

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    oof

Hitman 3 has no upper limit for what it thinks its Mission Stories are capable of in the game. One of the most publicized things about this game pre-release was its “murder mystery” about a family of wealthy elite, which conceptually seems to liberally borrow from Knives Out and its genre ilk. Conceptually, it’s quite neat. Agent 47 becomes an investigator, and the level transforms into an adventure game rather than a Hitman level. You run around and look for clues, then you try to solve the mystery. The problem is that Hitman 3 is not an adventure game. Without spoiling any of this, I can say that you can’t attempt to “solve” the mystery without finding all of the clues in several locations and speaking to all of the suspects, meaning that this mystery feels way more like trivial exercise in walking around and hitting buttons than it does solving a mystery. It doesn’t help that it is painfully obvious who committed the murder after you find just a few of the clues, meaning that the bulk of the mission really is just a painful, plodding exercise in walking around and picking things up to “prove” what you know. There are a few other “in depth” Mission Stories like this spread through the game, and I found them all to be about as compelling as that one. They take you down very strict roads that don’t have a lot of room to maneuver, and they’re all very standard genre fare with few surprises.

still, sounds like it might not be as bad if you're just sorta free-styling and not trying to follow the mission stories?[/spoilers]

Honestly this feels like a weird complaint. The previous 2 games were a mix of very railroaded but long stories, semi set up assassinations and free form nonsense.

It reads more like they're disappointed that the mystery thriller detective bits were just window dressing the same way being a band member or fashion model is window dressing.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    It seems like they're kind of doubling down on the stuff I don't like, is the thing.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    I mean, sure, it just feels like a weird complaint to say it's losing it's identity when it's being 15 years since games not focused on actiony/story beat progressions to assassination's have being in the series.

Albino Bunny on
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I'm gonna do one Mission Story max on my first run through each mission. I want to see those and get the unlocks, but I think I'll also have a lot of fun freestyling, so I'm going to do one Story per run and do any other objectives myself.

Anyway this content carrying over system is confusing even if you're on console. I have the Standard edition of 2 on Xbox. I don't have the Expansion Pass. The Expansion Pass is currently on sale for $10, which is $20 off.
    If I buy the Expansion Pass, will that carry over to 3? The Pre-Launch guide says that I need the Gold Edition to carry it over, which is much more expensive, but the Gold Edition is just a bundle of the Standard Edition + the Expansion Pass. Do I actually have to drop $80 to play these levels that I can buy right now for $10? Who knows??????????

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    As far as I understand it, if you have the content in any game, you'll get it in 3.
    But it probably wouldn't hurt to wait a few hours and see what dlc options you get in 3. I assume they'll have options for you to just buy content without having to buy the old games.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Looks like they do have options to buy it, but it just costs full price game prices. 100 bucks for Gold Hitman 2, or 80% off if you're on the epic store and transferring from steam and already own Hitman 2 on steam. I assume on consoles it's just straight 100 bucks?

uagsvo29jxw4.png

(Or, wait a few weeks and then import hitman 2 for free from steam to EGS from what they've said)

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    On console, if you already own Hitman 1 & 2, you select the appropriate Access Pass and "buy" it from the console store for $0.00.

Note that, as they said, every Hitman 1 owner is "upgraded" to the Hitman 1 Gold (with Patient Zero), while Hitman 2 ownership is split being Standard and Gold (which has all the DLC included), so you have to choose appropriately with Hitman 2 lest you incur some unexpected fees.

Importing Hitman unlocks from 2 is broken on Console as well though, as that's just a case of Website on Fire.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    These games always looked pretty but God damn the early money shot in Dubai drilled directly into the pleasure centre of my brain.

• Options
    The Manor Mystery is a fun little super guided romp to cap off Providence.

Immediately followed by the least guided, most open ended feeling mission in the trilogy for Berlin.

Having a lot of fun with this, even if server issues means I'm going to have to re-do two of the levels I've cleared so far.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    so i like this

the opening mission isn't as bold a statement of what's changed as 2's was, but it's nice to dive back into it

transferring the saves was kinda annoying, what with having to go back into 2 and connect it to the ioi account, then go back into 3 and connect it and then futz around for a while before realising that there wasn't a link from the ioi account page to the save transfer, and i had to go looking for it

i nearly re-installed hitman 1

ah well

• Options
    First two levels
    Dubai is rad, lots of ways to get around, some good mission stories, I really liked the amount of kill options you had at the end of Bird of Prey (I of course save scummed all of them lmao). Some unfortunate bugs though, I had people find bodies that I thought were hidden, the little picture-in-picture was showing them clipping through floors/walls, and Bird of Prey has a bug where you can't progress unless you ignore your objective and just sprint to the next part.

Not a huge fan of Dartmoor tbh. It has a worse version of the problem Sapienza had, where you have the massive level but none of it is used, except this is even worse since there's only one target. If it had another target, or one opened up at the end like I expected when Diana's radio started cutting out, then it'd be better. At least the case file objective has multiple ways to complete it, unlike Sapienza.
    I got Emma to kill Alexa by herself completely on accident lol, I fixed the poison machine and just walked away, then like 5 minutes later while I was exploring the graveyard the kill popped up and I got a ton of challenges lmao, I went back and loaded a save to do it myself.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    this is egs exclusive for a while right?

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    this is egs exclusive for a while right?

For a year on PC, but it's on consoles too.

• Options
    I'm playing this on a base original Xbox One, never got an S or X or a Series, it actually runs and loads better than Hitman 2 did.
    There's definitely some bad stuttering at the start of some of the mission intros but that's it.

• Options
    Dartmoor feels like a love letter to the people who like the point and click/light stealth story missions and Berlin feels like an immediate, counter love letter to the people who hate those and just want the rawest mechanical sandbox to hitman in.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSD_wGOfj-4

"Continuing from Hitman 2016, IOI have gone out of their way to add brand new and hilarious subdue dialogue into Hitman 2. It is triggered when you attempt to subdue an NPC and do absolutely nothing for exactly 30 seconds."

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    The speedruns are already nutty, here's the #1 Silent Assassin time on Dubai, 16 seconds:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEueCfyqjYk

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    The Berlin mission is very very good

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    awkward first couple of missions... Hitman 2's first missions were good and impressive.....

hopefully it picks up later!

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I liked Dubai and I’m up to Berlin and I love the premise and setup for it, very movie like

I’ve never actually played 1 or 2 yet I seem to have bought them at some stage. I’m an achievement guy so I’ll probably play 2 in the game later, the whole stats transfer and stuff seems confusing, like I’m playing 3 now and will go back and play 1 and 2, and if I can’t import that way I just won’t bother importing cos I’d prefer the system achievements you get from loading up the games themselves

Playing on series x it looks gorgeous and having working mirrors is very impressive, however all that sharpness and 60fps 4K goodness just kind of highlights how wooden the animations are.

Also the super pixelated cutscenes aren’t great, I get it must be harder to make cutscenes render in engine on the fly, but it would look so much better if they did.

Prohass on
  • Options
    Berlin fucking rules holy shit

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Damnit stuck in the China level and I can’t tell if it’s a glitch or part of it
    im trying to pretend to be Pritchard but the tour guide in the stairwell won’t interact with me even tho I have the form. I don’t know whether it’s cos I’ve already killed the targets and they’re part of the tour maybe?

Prohass on
  • Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    im trying to pretend to be Pritchard but the tour guide in the stairwell won’t interact with me even tho I have the form. I don’t know whether it’s cos I’ve already killed the targets and they’re part of the tour maybe?
    that's definitely it

• Options
    Lalabox wrote: »
    that's definitely it

Hmmm it would be nice if they told you that it’s cancelled or something. Cos the npc sort of stops her conversation as if she’s about to start the sequence but then just stands there.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I bought this, played through dubai, and like a dumbass have spent the rest of my time with it replaying through paris and sapienza

I'll get around to the new levels, honest!!

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I bought this, played through dubai, and like a dumbass have spent the rest of my time with it replaying through paris and sapienza

I'll get around to the new levels, honest!!

Same. Not sorry, though, since the old levels are gorgeous here. Marrakesh at night looks amazing on a PS5.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Does playing those levels in 3 get achievements in 2? I’m guessing not. I haven’t played 2 but bought it.

What’s the benefits of playing the 2 levels in 3? Nothing graphical I’m assuming? Just like challenge and item stuff? (I’m on series x)

Prohass on
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    There's probably some lighting stuff but tbh it'll be using any new tools from 3 in the older stuff. Also saving a whole bunch of drive space

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    There's probably some lighting stuff but tbh it'll be using any new tools from 3 in the older stuff. Also saving a whole bunch of drive space

Hmm, I still love my cheeves so I’ll probably play them through for a bit on 2 and then transfer it over and just do replays and such in 3

Tho transferring sounds confusing. I don’t have hitman 2 “gold”, but I do have hitman 2 and the season pass, which I assume is the same thing when getting the levels into 3?

Prohass on
  • Options

Hmm, I still love my cheeves so I’ll probably play them through for a bit on 2 and then transfer it over and just do replays and such in 3

ah, if you transfer from 2 to three after you started 3 it will wipe your progress

I *think* you might also get chevos in 3 from 2 but I am not 100%, just seen a bunch of folks saying that having trophies pop for them on playstation was a pretty good indication that the transfer had gone through

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    edited January 2021

ah, if you transfer from 2 to three after you started 3 it will wipe your progress

I *think* you might also get chevos in 3 from 2 but I am not 100%, just seen a bunch of folks saying that having trophies pop for them on playstation was a pretty good indication that the transfer had gone through

What? It wipes progress in 3? Why would it do that? Do they not think that maybe people might get into 3 since it got good reviews and then go back and get 2? What a dumb system, surely they could’ve figured out a way to make this more seamless?

Weird. Well I’ve already done like 5 levels and I’m almost finished 3 so I don’t think I’ll bother transferring if it’s going to wipe all that. So dumb

So if I import the hitman 2 levels will it then carry over any progress I make going back and playing 2? Or is it like a one off import every time that will wipe your progress in 3?

If so that is a terrible implementation

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited January 2021

What? It wipes progress in 3? Why would it do that? Do they not think that maybe people might get into 3 since it got good reviews and then go back and get 2? What a dumb system, surely they could’ve figured out a way to make this more seamless?

Weird. Well I’ve already done like 5 levels and I’m almost finished 3 so I don’t think I’ll bother transferring if it’s going to wipe all that. So dumb

I think they thought if you got 3 and liked it you'd get the pass for 2 or 1 rather than the full game because it'd be a bit cheaper? Not sure why it'd wipe 3 progress but maybe there's unlock flags that need resetting or something, it is a bit silly though I agree.

If you've already got 2 on the XBONE then just grab the pass for free*, that won't wipe your progress, just transferring out of standalone hitman 2 will do that.

*might have to install 2 first?

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Hmm, I actually had the full games and just never played them so I guess I’m a rare case. Ah well I probably just won’t bother importing then

Edit: Ok I’ll try that next time I play

Prohass on
  • Options
    ^
    Editing is a curse

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    so, unlike hitman 2, i ended up mainlining the missions a bit more, rather than replaying them a bunch of times before moving on

with some of the later missions, it definitely means i missed some of the more interesting interactions. In the last "main" mission before the conclusion, i found two really really quick paths (one of which i managed to get by fucking things up a little, but hey, if it works). Not as fun as peeling back the layers of security, like hokaido or the isle of sgail

the levels are absolutely gorgeous tho, and they have some amazing moods and feels to them. I do really like going suit only for as much as possible

• Options
    it does feel way more like an expansion to 2, rather than the reworking from 2016 to 2 (stuff like the briefcase, crowds actually having a purpose, and hiding in grass really shook things up)

but, 2 has some absolutely amazing mechanics, so i'm not really sure what they could have added. I almost wish there was some way to surreptitiously inject someone in a crowd by brushing against them, but i can't really think of any way to make that work

you can sort of get the same feeling with some of the dart guns, tho. Hiding in a little alcove so you can make someone vomit.

but anyway, the game does sort of suffer from being a progression from 2, so there's not a whole lot of new things to learn, while not being a mechanical escalation from 2, so it's kinda easy (for me)

i miss some of the challenge there. It does have some nice things with the stories not always landing you directly in the perfect killing opportunity, and you still have to figure things out for yourself a bit. But i wish there was a slightly higher difficulty level than the master level, but where i had unlimited saves, etc. Just have some of the different guard and camera placements, but not as many of the other restrictions.

ah well, it's nice to get back to hitman, and while there isn't a mission that managed to reach the heights of 2's Mumbai, Sgail, or Hawkes Bay for me, it's been fun and i can't wait to return to these maps and mess around

they are all really solid, and i enjoy a lot of the more story-focused setups for them

• Options
    edited January 2021
    So I own hitman 1 and hitman 2 and it’s season pass on Xbox (all digitally), I installed them both and booted them up just to be sure. but when I click the access pass for them in hitman 3 it just sends me to the store to buy a full priced access pass, so I’m guessing I’m either doing something wrong or somethings not working

It seems to recognise the hitman 2 season pass expansion? But not the base 1 and 2 games. I’m so confused. Is it because I never owned the gold editions?

Christ it shouldn’t be this hard, just detect what I own and put it in there

Gonna see if hard restarting my console works

Prohass on
  • Options
    So I managed to actually finish my download today, got my Hitman 1+2 transfer done and Prohass should be glad to hear that a tonne of legacy achievements popped for me when I loaded back in after that so that aspect at least should work for you! (This is on PC, and even though I don't have access to levels from 2 yet, achievements from finishing them were popping away and the mastery etc all transferred without a hitch) Booted up Paris for a quick run around and it somehow looks even better?

Also really like how all the suits are sorted into categories now. Formal, Overcoat etc

7qmGNt5.png