As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

HITMAN 2 is probably still the best hitman but HITMAN Ill has some cool things going on

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Is there a limit on the amount of objects you can have in your inventory because I ran into a problem where I couldn't pick up anything unless I dropped something. 47 would make a pick up motion but the object would just stay there and I wouldn't get it in my inventory.
    Yup, there is. Ran into it on my all-kill run in Hitman 2016. 47 needs Guybrush Threewood's pants!

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I also watched an Absolution speed run this past weekend and that game is just baffling (unless the honchos at Square Enix demanded IO make a linear shooter with barely there stealth elements). You can kinda see some of the mechanics and features they eventually fleshed out in Season 1 and 2, but for a modern video game it kinda looks awful? Everything is covered with dirt and grime but also has tons of light bloom for no reason.

Why are there so many levels where 47 has to go retrieve his signature guns from lockup? Why is there a mission where the entire thing is visiting a tailor and buying a new suit? There was also that checkpoint system that would respawn enemies after you had already taken them out, meaning you could often find yourself behind enemy lines with no escape as your previously cleared path is no longer clear.

47 also makes constantly stupid decisions in cutscenes that end with him being tied up and left to die several times. Not to mention the tie in book between Blood Money and Absolution where 47 botches an assassination in a ski lodge so badly he ends up buried in an avalanche and injuring his back so badly he becomes addicted to painkillers.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Absolution is a loud, stupid, poorly designed game with a bad aesthetic and an awful story

It is so poorly produced and baffling, it nearly killed the franchise

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    The first level of Absolution is good and is pretty much the prototype for 2016 and 2

The rest of the game is awful

6F32U1X.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Absolution was supposed to be "grindhouse," and I hate the grindhouse aesthetic or at least what modern videogame developers seem to think it was given I have never seen an actual grindhouse movie.

It is such a weird choice for a series like Hitman. The series is goofy, but it is usually not sexy dominatrix assassin latex nuns goofy. Or how I don't think Hitman 1 was some globetrotting affair but that doesn't mean having the game be a trip through a lot of midwestern settings felt appropriate.

47's weird care for the child character who was just a morality pet and macguffin might not be that out of character given Hitman 2's version of 47, but that game was also bad. 47's display of emotions should be something like pett kittens and dangle toys in front of them for them to play with while his face remains expressionless.

When playing Sapienza in Hitman 2, do the NPCs still decide to go through the hole in the wall from the pier to the underground lab if you break open the hole? I loved seeing the female target walk back to her place by walking through the hole and up to the mansion or dropping a gun in the lab area and seeing the guards take it to the gun storage place outside the hole.

Couscous on
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Someone at IOI clearly looooves Tarantino movies, and I'm guessing Absolution was when they got their hands on the reins. If Quentin ever made a Hitman movie, Absolution would be it. I got the feeling that they got some feedback along the lines of "What didn't you like about Blood Money?", and got the responses from the players who didn't like the game series at all. Kinda like Ubisoft and Warrior Within. Asking the people who didn't like the last game what they want from a sequel just means that the people who did like the first game and thus didn't feel the need to say anything are left with something new and unpleasant.

Even so, a speedrun is a bad way to watch the game, since those always involve chaos and shooting just because it's faster, it can be played all stealth, they just didn't know which way they were going. Speedruns for 2016 tend to involve setting off random explosions and firing at walls to cause panic, which doesn't feel right to me.

I do love 2016 and 2 for not ever making in required to get into a gunfight. Even Blood Money gave you situations where you just had to kill everyone in a straight fight.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    edited November 2018
    At this point I am not sure if anybody doing grindhouse style stuff has seen the old grindhouse theater films. It is like how you can probably do a blaxploitation movie based entirely on movies inspired by the old blaxploitation movies.
    I do love 2016 and 2 for not ever making in required to get into a gunfight. Even Blood Money gave you situations where you just had to kill everyone in a straight fight.
    I do have a soft spot in my heart for the final part of Blood Money where you have to use guns but I guess that is more intended as an interactive cutscene.

2016 and 2 are still probably the only games with good tutorial missions.

Edit: Besides the tutorial missions, I just remembered the map with the shootout with the other assassin guy in Blood Money.

Couscous on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    One thing that I really liked from Blood Money that admittedly would not work in New Hitman is the idea that if you fuck up super bad and make a lot of noise, your next mission might be more difficult because people are on edge and looking for you

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    One thing that I really liked from Blood Money that admittedly would not work in New Hitman is the idea that if you fuck up super bad and make a lot of noise, your next mission might be more difficult because people are on edge and looking for you

This is actually how I'd dig them doing Elusives: Put in a rogue like mode where you get a string of contracts (a few generic ones, the story ones, sometimes just killing one story target and elusives every five or so) and have you get paid, to allow more gear to be shuffled in and have the levels be reactive to what happened. Both in terms of security ramping up and having less tools lying around if you keep using accidents and so on.

edited November 2018

I think that could work really well as part of an optional difficulty meant to be more of a less serious iron man sort of thing. It would probably be too much work for too few people to be worth the company spending the effort to develop, but encouraging players to work through their hilarious fuck ups in ways that can result in even more hilarious fuck ups later on could be fun.

They definitely should bring back the newspapers at the end of missions because those were great and often hilarious. Different snippets based on how you killed your target and also snippets based on random other stuff you did would be great.

Couscous on
    It is definitely a crime that the newspaper is not still a thing

6F32U1X.png
    edited November 2018
    Finished my mentioned "kill everyone" run in Sapienza in Hitman 2016. I can now uninstall the game. Killed everyone, no bodies found, nobody spotted me. I had no real plan on how to accomplish this, and in hindsight used a very suboptimal loadout, but over the last few weeks, bit by bit, I cleaned up.
    ou8bpn9xy5aw.jpg

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    You monster

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    It's a good start I guess, but for full monster points, you have to knock them out, then kill them in horribly imaginative ways.
    The ones that come to mind are dumping them off cliffs/into water, dumping them in the acid baths, or piling as many as possible in one spot that just happens to be where a cannon is aimed at.

Now who's the monster?

edited November 2018
    klemming wrote: »
    It's a good start I guess, but for full monster points, you have to knock them out, then kill them in horribly imaginative ways.
    The ones that come to mind are dumping them off cliffs/into water, dumping them in the acid baths, or piling as many as possible in one spot that just happens to be where a cannon is aimed at.

Now who's the monster?

Drag all the bodies to the lab and kill them in the virus room.

Couscous on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Absolution had a couple of good ideas - I liked the level where you have to retrieve your Silver Ballers - that were suffocated by everything else in that game. Not only was it too linear and poorly written, but the detection/instinct system sucked (but was thankfully refined to be good in S1).

I remember technical limitations of last-gen hardware being touted as a problem by someone on the development team, but it was definitely a weird time for the franchise regardless.

Gamestop will have this game (on consoles) for $30 tomorrow

6F32U1X.png
    edited November 2018

Now who's the monster?

I blew up a pile of corpses to see how they fly around, that's gotta count for something

e: fun bit about that run: the group around the street performer can not be peeled off. Not with the mixtape, not with the coin, no dice. They really don't care if you put a fire extinguisher in front of them and leisurely walk up the stairs to a secluded spot to shoot it from though...

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    My wife and I go to Dave and Buster's a few times a month to play games and drink, and it always winds up every year we have enough tickets to get a free PS4 game right around Christmas time.

So I now have a "free" copy of Hitman 2 that I fully realize probably cost a lot more but whatever.

Very excited to get back into this. I have 1 day left of Sean Bean right?

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    You've got another week I think

7qmGNt5.png
    Searching around Whittleton:
    What in the name of what is going on in the muffin lady's basement? I don't have the full shape of it, but I feel like knocking her out, putting her in the massive furnace and turning it on should count as a public service.

Searching around Whittleton:
    What in the name of what is going on in the muffin lady's basement? I don't have the full shape of it, but I feel like knocking her out, putting her in the massive furnace and turning it on should count as a public service.

On the surface it seems fairly obvious.
    I think she's making meat pies out of human remains? Or she's killing people AND making delicious baked goods. I just assumed they were related, esp if you break into the basement first and see the XP pop up called "Murder Basement" and Diana has some VO about "what is she doing down here?" when you haven't yet met the owner of the house. It's one of the more obviously sloppy things in that level I hope they fix.

steam_sig.png

Also the first mission of Hitman (Season) 2 actually reminded me a lot of the first mission in Absolution in that they both involve breaking into a swanky mansion, doing a thing, and then having to break back out. Esp with all the XP pop ups in the new game.

Of course, Hitman (Season) 2 is a better game than Absolution.

The speedrunner pointed out that Absolution has a lockpicking mechanic, except you only ever pick one lock per level and it's the door to escape at the end.

steam_sig.png

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I really need Diana to shut up in this.

Playing through some of Blood Money yesterday, I think the game holds up well as sort of a murder adventure game despite less target murder options. The controls are definitely kind of off but overall not too bad.

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Huh, I'm not sure how exactly I classified for Silent Assassin, Suit Only challenges for both the Knoxes when I didn't get a SA rating on the mission itself. Nor was I trying to really, I sniped Sierra on the track from the overpass and then shot the laptop to get Robert to come out and shot him but not the guard following him. Surely he would have found the body?

Also, how do you hold your breath for the sniper rifle? I'm using an xbox one controller on PC and it says RT does that, but that's what fires the gun.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    Huh, I'm not sure how exactly I classified for Silent Assassin, Suit Only challenges for both the Knoxes when I didn't get a SA rating on the mission itself. Nor was I trying to really, I sniped Sierra on the track from the overpass and then shot the laptop to get Robert to come out and shot him but not the guard following him. Surely he would have found the body?

Also, how do you hold your breath for the sniper rifle? I'm using an xbox one controller on PC and it says RT does that, but that's what fires the gun.

You have to slightly hold in the trigger but not all the way and it's total fucking garbage.

Also that's how I got my SASO but I left via helicopter immediately after shooting him so they didn't have a chance to find the body

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I got the Sean Bean elusive target SA by sabotaging the mooblie so it shot him. I feel like this was kind of wasted as an elusive target, I'd rather be able to hear all his different dialogue.

Tube wrote: »
    I got the Sean Bean elusive target SA by sabotaging the mooblie so it shot him. I feel like this was kind of wasted as an elusive target, I'd rather be able to hear all his different dialogue.

I feel like I missed out on a ton of dialogue doing it the way I did, but I wanted to get SA

Lasbrook wrote: »

I think there's some different rules for SA this game compared to last game. Like, I think that if your targets get alerted by you that's fine, as they stop being witnesses as soon as they're dead (so shooting them in the face is fair game, so long as they don't alert anyone else).

Maybe sniper kills don't count if no-one can tell where the shot came from? If the guard didn't actually see him get shot, they should have been clueless.
    I feel like I missed out on a ton of dialogue doing it the way I did, but I wanted to get SA
    I'm frequently blown away by just how much dialogue there is in this game. I like the challenges in the new levels that have you set up all these opportunities in one go, as it gets you to see what all the outcomes are that don't end in someone dying from a tragic accident when a statue drops on them mid-speech.

edited November 2018
    Why isn't there an option to play in Master difficulty but with unlimited saves? I don't care if nothing counts. I just need to figure out how to do some stuff in there because enough things are changed that you can't just do what you did to assassinate someone in Professional difficulty with no changes except saving only once.

I managed to figure out how to kill the scam artist in the third Hitman 1 map with just the suit without getting spotted or recorded but now have to figure out how to kill the general, which will probably consist of me figuring out how to get to the top floor, luring him into the area with the hole and toilet, and then throwing him out the window after knocking him out.

Couscous on
    edited November 2018
    I like checking to see if the other target has new dialogue if you kill the first target first. Going on a murder spree is worth it just to hear descriptions of costumes like the vampire magician one.

If you can call someone, I like to call while right next to them because it is hilarious how they obviously didn't plan for it beyond having the NPC get out their phone. I want to see what happens if you call one of them while they are doing something like vomiting in the bathroom.

Edit: They come out of the vomit animation, talk on the phone, and then go back to vomiting. Too bad there doesn't appear to be any way to take advantage of getting them to stop and talk given you can't do anything but walk when on the phone. Blood Money had a level where you could call someone over the landline to get them to come to a window where you could shoot them. Just getting the target to stop could make a lot of things easier like shooting a chandelier above their head.

Couscous on
    Couscous wrote: »
    I managed to figure out how to kill the scam artist in the third Hitman 1 map with just the suit without getting spotted or recorded but now have to figure out how to kill the general, which will probably consist of me figuring out how to get to the top floor, luring him into the area with the hole and toilet, and then throwing him out the window after knocking him out.

There's a super easy way to get that guy, if you're interested:
    If you wake up the right sleeping guy, he goes and prepares a meal and brings it to the target. Once you know where, you can poison him from ten minutes away.

I mostly found it easy enough to find a SASO route in Professional mode, and just adapt that to Master. Most mission stories require you to change clothes, but they teach you enough moving parts that you can find something that doesn't need a suit change.
    You can take it slowly as you look out for new cameras, but my approach was to make killing a security hub an early priority. After that it's mostly down to taking out the occasional extra guard.

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Damn it, fucked up the ET. That's what I get for using proximity mines for the first time.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    So I'm going through the old maps getting silent assassin, suit only, and sniper assassin. That suitcase makes sniper assassin way easier now. I was on the church tower of Sapienza and I figured I'd do the Kraken challenge while there. Then I just realized I could do the same thing with the dinner bell outside the kitchen to summon Caruso.

I seriously never thought of that before despite having done everything in Hitman 1.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    So I'm going through the old maps getting silent assassin, suit only, and sniper assassin. That suitcase makes sniper assassin way easier now. I was on the church tower of Sapienza and I figured I'd do the Kraken challenge while there. Then I just realized I could do the same thing with the dinner bell outside the kitchen to summon Caruso.

I seriously never thought of that before despite having done everything in Hitman 1.

my favourite discovery was shooting the fusebox to open the observatory, and luring caruso to the scope

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    If Sean Bean doesn't show up again later as another elusive target for the same character I will be very surprised.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I'm doing the Suit Only, Silent Assassin, Help Janus Have a Nice Day challenge and it's pretty good. I do like that there's a lot of bits and pieces that you can set in motion, without having to take the active role yourself

edit: this is definitely some of my favourite stuff, because you get to see all these little interactions, and neat things. Like Janus going over to Helen's house, and all the little stories

Lalabox on
    DthsXMZV4AA8yW_.jpg

That dude with the eyepatch doesn't look like Sean Bean, boooo.

7qmGNt5.png
    That surprise had better be the Santa suit coming back.