As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

E3 2016: What even is this event, anymore?

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I have never played a Persona game

I have played several Final Fantasy games

I am categorically uninterested in playing more Final Fantasy games

I am beyond excited for Persona 5

I don't know what category that puts me into

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    like, to compare

persona 5 hijacked the tokyo tower to announce a release date because that's where their biggest demographic is gonna be, they haven't done any EU or NA things to promote the game (maybe they will post e3, who knows!)

FFXV has done things with very popular video game streamers in the west (even if I hate Kinda Funny) because they're much bigger worldwide

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    FFXV and/or FFVII Remake will probably get some stage time at Sony's show

The same is probably not true of P5

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Why would they be doing promotion for Persona 5 in the US, when the US does not have a release date yet?

Once it comes out in Japan and localization work can begin, then we'll actually start getting ads.

• Options
    i would bet persona 5 gets time on the stage show! it's not small-time, it's just not the juggernaut that final fantasy is as a brand

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I actually kind of wonder about the current state of the Final Fantasy brand

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Why would they be doing promotion for Persona 5 in the US, when the US does not have a release date yet?

Once it comes out in Japan and localization work can begin, then we'll actually start getting ads.

I sure as hell hope localization's already started at least.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »

It's had lows but I think that's actually serving it better at the moment in terms of marketing

People are ready for a comeback story

Whether it actually delivers or not, who knows, but from what I've played and what I've seen, I have faith

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Wyborn wrote: »

As someone who hasn't really been down for most of what I've seen of modern FF, I'm totally down for, "Boy Band rolls around in their sweet ride." The part in the demo where they wake up their friend by putting the phone alarm right next to his head won me over.

I also think that if you release a legit good AAA game in this market, you can do very well. People are still in the spot where they want something to actually play on their new GameStationBox's.

BrocksMullet on
    I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    So what will be the best option to play the new mass effect on. I don't know anything about these new hardware revisions or whatever

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Nobody knows. Nobody even knows if the hardware revisions will even be released by next spring.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    So what will be the best option to play the new mass effect on. I don't know anything about these new hardware revisions or whatever

Whatever is the newest one at the time

But ME isn't coming out this year so I imagine both revisions will be out by then

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I want mass effect.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

Based on what I've heard about past PC versions of ME, get it on console. Shouldn't matter which really.

If you've already got a console it probably doesn't make sense to upgrade but if not we'll know more at E3

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Oh I know people are excited for it, and I'm sure FF15 looks good

But I think the health of the brand isn't going to have a strong public indicator until we hear how FF15 sells. It's been a long time since 13.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

Based on what I've heard about past PC versions of ME, get it on console. Shouldn't matter which really.

If you've already got a console it probably doesn't make sense to upgrade but if not we'll know more at E3

I've only played ME on PC and they've all been great. I would think a better yardstick would be Dragon Age Inquisition, which I've not played as iirc Bioware are essentially using the same engine for Andromeda?

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Man what IS coming out the rest of this year

Let's look

June
    - Mirror's Edge Catalyst (6/7)
    - Kirby: Planet Robobot (6/10)
    - Mighty No. 9 (6/21)
    - Umbrella Corps (6/21)
    - Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE (6/24)
    - Zero Escape 3: Zero Time Dilemma (6/28)

July
    - Song of the Deep (7/12)
    - Monster Hunter Generations (7/15)
    - I Am Setsuna (7/19)

August
    - No Man's Sky (8/9)
    - Metroid Prime: Federation Force (8/19)
    - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (8/23)
    - King of Fighters XIV (8/12)
    - Madden NFL 17 (8/23)

September
    - Final Fantasy XV (9/30)
    - Yo-Kai Watch 2 (9/30)

October
    - Mafia III
    - Playstation VR
    - Gears of War 4 (10/11)
    - Battlefield One (10/21)
    - Sid Meier's Civilization VI (10/21)

November
    - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (11/4)
    - Dishonored 2 (11/11)
    - Pokemon Sun & Moon (11/18)

"2016"
    - 100 Ft. Robot Golf
    - Crackdown 3
    - Cuphead
    - Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
    - Frozen Synapse 2
    - Halo Wars 2
    - Headlander
    - Horizon: Zero Dawn
    - The Last Guardian
    - Nier: Automata
    - Night in the Woods
    - Paper Mario Color Splash
    - Persona 5
    - ReCore
    - Sea of Thieves
    - Telltale's Batman
    - Titanfall 2
    - Yooka-Laylee

Wow I just got really sad

It's definitely not a comprehensive list. Star Ocean 5 is coming out 6/28. Ace Attorney 6 is set to release in September. Dragon Quest Builders is coming out in October, and DQVII and DQVIII are still slated for 2016.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    rhylith wrote: »

I've only played ME on PC and they've all been great. I would think a better yardstick would be Dragon Age Inquisition, which I've not played as iirc Bioware are essentially using the same engine for Andromeda?

I was only going off some friends who had some pretty severe technical issues with the series on PC, even with a pretty new computer at the time. DA:I played fine for me on PC, though I did prefer a controller to keyboard and mouse

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    All the Masses Effect on PC are fine. As it leaned more into the shooting stuff with 2 and then 3 i'm glad that I played with with a mouse and keyboard.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    persona is a february game

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    persona is a february game
    that'd be realllly good positioning for it

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Man what IS coming out the rest of this year

Let's look

June
    - Mirror's Edge Catalyst (6/7)
    - Kirby: Planet Robobot (6/10)
    - Mighty No. 9 (6/21)
    - Umbrella Corps (6/21)
    - Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE (6/24)
    - Zero Escape 3: Zero Time Dilemma (6/28)

July
    - Song of the Deep (7/12)
    - Monster Hunter Generations (7/15)
    - I Am Setsuna (7/19)

August
    - No Man's Sky (8/9)
    - Metroid Prime: Federation Force (8/19)
    - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (8/23)
    - King of Fighters XIV (8/12)
    - Madden NFL 17 (8/23)

September
    - Final Fantasy XV (9/30)
    - Yo-Kai Watch 2 (9/30)

October
    - Mafia III
    - Playstation VR
    - Gears of War 4 (10/11)
    - Battlefield One (10/21)
    - Sid Meier's Civilization VI (10/21)

November
    - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (11/4)
    - Dishonored 2 (11/11)
    - Pokemon Sun & Moon (11/18)

"2016"
    - 100 Ft. Robot Golf
    - Crackdown 3
    - Cuphead
    - Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
    - Frozen Synapse 2
    - Halo Wars 2
    - Headlander
    - Horizon: Zero Dawn
    - The Last Guardian
    - Nier: Automata
    - Night in the Woods
    - Paper Mario Color Splash
    - Persona 5
    - ReCore
    - Sea of Thieves
    - Telltale's Batman
    - Titanfall 2
    - Yooka-Laylee

the next WoW expansion is also at the end of August

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Urgh Nintendo, gimme some infos. I mostly wonder if the NX is going to be backwards compatible at all. I can't really imagine so, because the WiiU pad would have to be included? Or a similar controller?
    Might have to get a WiiU after all, probably

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    i mean you'll be waiting for awhile because they already said they're not doing any direct at e3, and zelda will be the only show on the floor and on the treehouse streams

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Urgh Nintendo, gimme some infos. I mostly wonder if the NX is going to be backwards compatible at all. I can't really imagine so, because the WiiU pad would have to be included? Or a similar controller?

Could be like the Wii U where the old controller is compatible, but not included.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    el_vicio wrote: »

Could be like the Wii U where the old controller is compatible, but not included.

The thing is, they never sold the Wii U tablet separately.
    i mean you'll be waiting for awhile because they already said they're not doing any direct at e3, and zelda will be the only show on the floor and on the treehouse streams

Yeah, that's what the URGH was referring to ^^
    I'll just keep looking at the WiiU prices, they'll surely drop significantly around christmas at the latest

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    The fact that the entire rise and success of the originally niche Souls franchise in the time between releases in the Persona series is a testament to just how possible it is for Persona 5 to be a huge hit and how fucking long it takes Atlus to make games.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    at least they're making P5 for the playstation 4, instead of just releasing a playstation 3 only version in 2016

• Options
    A nice gesture that they'll never do would be for them to go "hey here's Persona 4 Golden on the PS4"

• Options
    A nice gesture that they'll never do would be for them to go "hey here's Persona 4 Golden on the PS4"

Seems like it would be a pretty good idea.

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    The fact that the entire rise and success of the originally niche Souls franchise in the time between releases in the Persona series is a testament to just how possible it is for Persona 5 to be a huge hit and how fucking long it takes Atlus to make games.

Holy shit. My brain knows that Persona 4 came out on the PS2, but putting it in that kind of context makes the gap between the release of 4 and 5 seem *super huge.*

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    Eight years between installments is incredibly huge

Especially since there was only one year between 3 and 4

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    "It's been so long since HL2: Episode 2 and HL3 that Persona 4 & 5 came out since then!"

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    some developers just don't put out games very often or quickly, like blizzard and valve

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."

I mean that doesn't explain Duke Nukem Forever but still...

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

There was a lot more going on with DNF. Bad management leading to the developer's collapse, following by being picked up by Gearbox who decided releasing a shitty game to recoup costs was an OK thing to do.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I'm not particularly invested in this year's e3 but I will still watch the giant bomb stream

also pretty glad that the second half is lighter because hooboy was there a lot of games in the first half that I wanted to play

Jars on
  • Options
    edited May 2016

My only issue with this approach is that if someone takes a long time making a game, and it's still shit, well then they've just wasted a long-ass time on a subpar product when they could have been working on other, possibly better things

Compare it to the Assassin's Creed method (until this year) of annual releases, where one is thrown against the wall every holiday season and some of them stick, some of them don't. Sure, sometimes you get a Unity or a Revelations, but sometimes you get a Black Flag or a Syndicate

That's always been a bit of issue with Nintendo for me, and I think Miyamoto is the originator of that quote. Like, I sure hope you like the Zelda or Mario on this system! 'Cause it'll probably be the only one. I didn't care for Skyward Sword and they spent for-goddamn-ever making it, so Zelda U will effectively be the first opportunity for a console Zelda to impress me in over a decade

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Dragon Age 2 was made in one year and that game is great.

I can absolutely believe Miyamoto said something like that though.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Dragon Age 2 was a very fun game with some great ideas and characters, but I think that given more time and more money it could have been well spectacular

The principle that it is better to delay a game than release it before it is ready is fairly sound

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
This discussion has been closed.