As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game of Thrones] has been on our television screens since 2011

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    They could do it for real like the end of The Dark Knight Rises.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    If you want a Game of Thrones style film featuring gang warfare, why not just watch Gangs of New York?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Because I want The Warriors-style gangs, not Civil War-era gangs.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Yeah I definitely agree that you want the gangs to be small

gangs, if you will

the combat becomes personal and more brutal for the individuals in it

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I mean, if you give me this type of scene but set in the 1980's I'm all in on this idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xy5UofWHPk

Zonugal on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Also I don't want to watch a 3 hour long movie that moves at a glacial pace and is filled with unnecessary subplots

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Ideally I would like a GoTWarriors show to take cues from The Raid or Daredevil with it's fights. Small groups, long fights, lasting damage and hard hits.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blank, I'll take it you aren't a fan of Gangs of New York...?

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I'm in the camp of DDL being the only really good part of GoNY.

But he's a really damn good part.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    I think it is a really interesting film that has some great performances but tries to be like 5 films at once and doesn't focus on any of them enough to succeed and falls flat on its face on slow motion over the course of 3 hours

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    As a big fan of the film, my only real issue with Gangs of New York is whatever accent Leo attempts throughout the film.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    As a big fan of the film, my only real issue with Gangs of New York is whatever accent Leo attempts throughout the film.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=5Xy5C-0P0zs

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Ceno wrote: »
    I'm interested to see Dany's reaction when/if she finds out she's not the rightful ruler.

I don't think that Jon has any interest in the chair, luckily for her.

Until a king or queen in the show legitimizes Jon, he's not the "rightful" heir to anything.

pfffffffft

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Bloody royals

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Jon convinced like .02% of the North to make him king. Nielsen would back him!

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    Man is the real monster...

I mean

Feudalism is the real monster

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    Jon has the support of the Northern Lords, who want independence. I think we can definitely say that it's not a one-off either, as they wanted the same thing from Robb Stark

He would be literally betraying his people if he then gave that up to Dany

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Jon is literally in the same position that mance was in at the beginning of season five. Except this time Jon is receiving the ultimatum rather than giving it out.

A choice! Live and bend the knee betraying the people who put their trust in you, or die a free man supporting what you believe.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Or take a third option and propose an alliance through marriage!

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    Jon is literally in the same position that mance was in at the beginning of season five. Except this time Jon is receiving the ultimatum rather than giving it out.

A choice! Live and bend the knee betraying the people who put their trust in you, or die a free man supporting what you believe.

And I think it's rather telling that Jon seems to admire Mance much more than he does Stannis

But at the same time, the show has been playing a lot more fast and loose with such things...

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Or take a third option and propose an alliance through marriage!

Yeah, it'd be nice if the characters had an ounce of chemistry between them though.

Apparently (said the director) the reason the Jon was so quiet in episode three when they first meet was because he was so taken back by her beauty, and I was like, really? I thought they were comedy beats.

• Options
    Kit Harington is pretty good at chemistry. Like, everyone loves Jon Snow, it's not a hot take to say that Kit Harington does a good job playing him or that he's a hard character to play, but I think he has done a good job and that actually at times, when he's had scenes where he needs to convince the viewer that Jon Snow is a hard man with hidden complexity, he has done. When he executed the traitors, when he first woke up on the table, when he was doing the scenes with Ygritte and you needed to see him struggle between the conflict of his vows, of his mission and of his own emotional desire, that all came across clearly and regularly. And yeah he's had years to inhabit the role, but he has done a good job. We feel like we know Jon Snow pretty intimately now.

Compare Jon and Ygritte with Jon and Dany, though, and it's like comparing a bonfire to a few damp bits of wood in a pile. And I don't want to bang on that drum but I know that one half of that pair can convince me of emotional turmoil and desire, so...

• Options
    edited August 2017
    The characters have had like 2-4 scenes together at this point and aren't, like, officially openly into each other yet

I would say it's a bit early

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    Yeah but it Kit was a good actor he'd be able to make you think Jon wants to fuck the people he wants to fuck instead of just the people Kit actually did fuck

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    You could make the argument that Kit Harington did have an advantage there, yeah

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Well, Jon and Ygritte are dating in real life, so that might explain why their chemistry is better

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I think Kit Harrington is really good!

I also just don't think many of the scenes with Jon and Danny have been particularly compelling so far, and certainly not in a romantic sense. The first twinge I got that they may actually be pushing the romance angle (I'd joked about it previously) was in the
    s7e4 spoiler
    cave scene. they actually had something to bond together about, for once, and without anyone else around being annoying.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Tbh I think it's actually a fairly realistic portrayal of what a semi arranged/political marriage would be like in the "courtship" stages. Both parties are essentially locked into playing their role and almost always supervised so there's no or very little chance to break kayfabe and find out what the other person is actually like and if you'd get on. It's what made that conversation in the first series between Robert and Cersei so interesting, they both acknowledged that they were both kind of railroaded into their situation and had to attempt to make the best of something neither of them really wanted. Or even properly establish some ground rules. At this point Jon and Dany could be another one of those, or they could be a Ned and Cat and live happily ever after.*

*mostly**

**ok you get the idea at least.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    The idea that you're supposed to marry someone who is your best friend and that you super get on with would be pretty much laughable to them.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I didn't realize until after the episode aired and they did the whole behind the scenes thing that Jon and Danaerys are apparently attracted to one another

I just didn't get that from it at all

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    The idea that you're supposed to marry someone who is your best friend and that you super get on with would be pretty much laughable to them.

I dunno.

Rob has heard of it.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »

I dunno.

Rob has heard of it.

His would seem like more of a cautionary tale

• Options
    edited August 2017
    As nobility you'd be married for political reasons, sure

But as anyone else it was pretty common for people to marry for love

in fact amongst, say, English commoners what was a lot more usual would be that you'd be common law spouses, that is you live together and it's just assumed you're lawfully married, and you'd have started living together in your 20s. In fact marrying as a teenager was seen as being rushing things, tbh.

it wasn't really laughable to marry for love but amongst higher ranks of the nobility it was uncommon just because a political marriage could be so advantageous and the idea of marrying below your station was pretty socially unacceptable for the nobility, too

Solar on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I didn't realize until after the episode aired and they did the whole behind the scenes thing that Jon and Danaerys are apparently attracted to one another

Well, I mean, this thread would seem to support the fact they're both attractive people to at least some people. That's not a huge "Whaaa?" leap to make.

As was said, they haven't had a lot of time to accidentally walk in while the other is bathing.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Well, I mean, this thread would seem to support the fact they're both attractive people to at least some people. That's not a huge "Whaaa?" leap to make.

As was said, they haven't had a lot of time to accidentally walk in while the other is bathing.

So... Dany's going to become a Tsundere? "Baka Snow, I'm only helping you fight the White Walkers because I don't want the world to die, it's not like I like you or anything..."

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular

What?

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Please don't plagiarise my fan fiction.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    chromdom wrote: »

What?

Lannistanimation

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    So we got HBO and caught up on the season yesterday.

I just love that bronn is bffs with both the Lannister boys

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Well.... hmm

This discussion has been closed.