As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFRK] Thread's dead, baby; thread's dead.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    "Triple"?

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Triple is in the code, and is referenced from time to time, but isn't used. Same with Mini, Frog and BLU.

Saint Cross is a luxury you can't really afford for the U+ CM unless you offload your Dispel to a second WHM, or unless you bring Golbez as a Knight. Remember that he can use Swords and is Knight 5. He can also Draw Fire from the back row with an otherwise BLM setup, but he'll be low on damage to compensate (which may be offset by Saint Cross Pecil.)

• Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    I feel like I'm close to cracking U+ CM, even with the shit relics I use.

Golbez makes a fantastic tank using Draw Fire/Drainga.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Me: "Huh, am I really going to beat Kadaj with only 1 mythril spent and everyone alive?"

Kadaj: Magic aoe, magic aoe, magic aoe, magic aoe, irrelevant attack, magic aoe

Fuck you too buddy.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I think there might be one VIII fight where Cerberus invokes Triple on himself (pretty sure it's the status from the actual VIII that makes you cast everything three times in a row), but yeah, it is pretty weird that Dispel effects always clear that.

I think it might be reasonable to not bring a dispel to U+ CM, especially if you can stick a Slow on Asura pretty quickly. She starts in Curaja/Dispel form, doesn't change that often, and sometimes she even changes right back into the form she's already in. I've had plenty of runs where she doesn't cast any buffs at all, or only casts irrelevant ones (Shell on herself). I did another few tries with Draw Fire/Full Charge on Pecil, and that seemed to be doing better than Draw Fire/Saint's Cross. I just don't feel like I can afford Draw Fire/Banishing Strike, because then I won't have enough damage to put down Leviathan in time.

Fry on
  • Options
    Aegis wrote: »
    Me: "Huh, am I really going to beat Kadaj with only 1 mythril spent and everyone alive?"

Kadaj: Magic aoe, magic aoe, magic aoe, magic aoe, irrelevant attack, magic aoe

Fuck you too buddy.

Kadaj++ doesn't have a magic AOE: Whirl Slash is physical AOE, Mako Shot is single target magic. But yeah, it sucks and is annoying when bosses decide to spam whichever attack wrecks you the most :/

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Oh, i figured it was magic and brought shell rather than protect since with retaliate/draw fire i figured i had his physical damage on lock.

Characters
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    I'm annoyed that loading up a favorited party seems to remove equipped wardrobes. I always forget, and so I ended up going through some bonus battles with child Rydia instead of adult Rydia. :(

Whenever you use an older saved favorite, IMMEDIATELY double check Soul Breaks and if you care wardrobe stuff. Save the team again with that stuff fixed and you won't have to worry about it next time.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    I really like the addition of BOTW and DJ. Those moves are strong enough that I can basically train up all 5* dragoons and just use whoever has the best realm synergy at the time, because that jump combo is strong enough to fill a DPS role by itself.

edit:

Oh god, I hate the Lunar Subterrane elite dungeons. Dark Bahamut is some hot garbage.

Enlong on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I made a 50 pull on banner #2 last night, hoping for some relics that would help me clear the Cid Mission. Didn't get any IV relics.

Instead I got an off-banner FFXII sword (the second one of these that I have). I've been getting off banner relics a lot lately and the majority of them seem to be from FFXII. Guess maybe when the Gabranth banner arrives in a couple weeks I'll have decent record synergy for there. I've got 2 of these Lohengrins. And I also have Gungnir. The only two unique relics I have from FFXII are Basch's Platinum Shield, and Ashe's Runeblade.

So because I didn't get anything for FFIV, I'm just gonna pass on these Cid's missions. I have a total of 4 relics in IV. Three of them are PCecil swords and then Kain's Wyvern Lance. That's not enough unique soul breaks to help me through the U/U+ missions with a RS team.

• Options
    Hrm. Beat Dark Bahamut with 3 people dead. Lost a ton of medals for damage taken, because apparently taking 2-3 counter attacks and the initial Megaflare, with no other Megaflares taken, loses 2 medals.

Still got enough medals in the previous rounds for mastery though, so I never have to return to that story mission, thank god.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Yeah a lot of the story dungeons, in particular some of the FFIV ones like Dark Bahamut and Ogopogo, you are guaranteed to lose damage medals because they start the fight with scripted AOEs that you can't do anything about. It's pretty annoying when it is literally impossible to get full medals on a fight.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Speaking of the FF4 dungeons, I finally got around to doing the Four Fiends rush on Saturday with my newfound great FF4 RS.

Boy, was I worried about that for absolutely nothing. They were so weak and fragile. I actually had to S/L once because I would have killed Barb before she went into tornado form and I had skipped one medal req earlier so wasn't sure if I'd champion it or not.

Down to I think 7 elites left. A couple FF4 Lunar things, FF5's Wendigo and Black Fork, FF7's Hojofest and Ultimafest, and an FF12 flying jackass.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Those fights are just coded to be much more difficult. The damage threshold is very low on older story dungeons.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I made a 50 pull on banner #2 last night, hoping for some relics that would help me clear the Cid Mission. Didn't get any IV relics.

Instead I got an off-banner FFXII sword (the second one of these that I have). I've been getting off banner relics a lot lately and the majority of them seem to be from FFXII. Guess maybe when the Gabranth banner arrives in a couple weeks I'll have decent record synergy for there. I've got 2 of these Lohengrins. And I also have Gungnir. The only two unique relics I have from FFXII are Basch's Platinum Shield, and Ashe's Runeblade.

So because I didn't get anything for FFIV, I'm just gonna pass on these Cid's missions. I have a total of 4 relics in IV. Three of them are PCecil swords and then Kain's Wyvern Lance. That's not enough unique soul breaks to help me through the U/U+ missions with a RS team.

If you've got Kain's SSB and if one of those Pecil swords is Excalibur, you've got all you need for both Cid Missions. Not to mention synergy weapons for Edge and Golbez.

Rius on
  • Options
    Rius wrote: »

If you've got Kain's SSB and if one of those Pecil swords is Excalibur, you've got all you need for both Cid Missions. Not to mention synergy weapons for Edge and Golbez.

Maybe so, but my other problem is that Rosa and Edge are both only 51. Golbez is like 23. And I don't know who my 5th would be. Who has support 5 in FFIV?

Oh and I actually forgot. I've got another relic that has totally slipped my mind lately. I've got Tellah's Polymorph Rod.

• Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    No quitting. I have 0 good SBs for this fight. My strongest relic is a Dancing Dagger++. I'm still trying doing this CM+ mission.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Boom, finished CM Asura/Leviathan, and got full medals. Just took a few tries to find the right setup, and a few S/Ls to not have too many AOEs from Leviathan. I'm sure no one will be surprised when I say that Rosa SSB was amazing. Sundaily let me finish mastering the SSB, so I could then give her a 4++ staff and pass the bow to Pecil (who passed my other Rosa bow to Edward). I noticed that I have a +holy rod that is only 8 MAG off the stick I was previously using on Rydia, so I honed Alexander up to R4 and used that instead of Maduin. Was kinda funny to kill Asura IV with Asura's Rod IX. :P

Pretty much every attack I had was empty at the end, but I was just barely able to cross the finish line. On the winning run I was actually in decent shape healthwise, since Leviathan chose to go heavy on Water Plume rather than actually dangerous stuff, so I was able to take an AOE, heal it off, magic blink the next AOE, take another AOE after that, and then lay out another heal + magic blink. If he had spammed AOE, or if he had used Water Cannon Volley (I didn't bring Protect), or even if he had used the single target magic, it'd have been a lot worse and people would have started dying.

Setup (all back row):
    Edward, 316 ATK, Dr. Mog's (shared Shellga), Full Break R2, Magic Breakdown R3
    Kain, 375 ATK, 20% dmg, Blood of the Wyvern R3, Dragoon Jump R3
    Rydia, 372 MAG + holy boost, Devotion, Alexander R4, Thundaja R4
    Pecil, 348 ATK, Dragoon's Determination, R3 Draw Fire (R1 is more than enough), R3 Full Charge
    Rosa, 397 MND, Mako Might (Divine Heal), Curaja R4, Slowga R2
    RW Shout

Now to decide if I want to throw the rest of Sundaily XP at VII characters to keep trying Sephiroth, or to make progress on VIII characters for next week. Neither of those looks that promising. :X Anyone know offhand what the VIII ultimates are, and how tough they're supposed to be?

Fry on
  • Options

Maybe so, but my other problem is that Rosa and Edge are both only 51. Golbez is like 23. And I don't know who my 5th would be. Who has support 5 in FFIV?

Oh and I actually forgot. I've got another relic that has totally slipped my mind lately. I've got Tellah's Polymorph Rod.

Edward is the only FFIV character with Support 5, and you probably haven't leveled him up since he has terrible stats and not much going for him besides Support 5 (Bard 5 -> 6 will be nice to have later on though).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Edward's kind of awful, but if you're going to Cid Mission, I think you kinda have to bring him, because stacking Full Break and Magic Breakdown with Shellga was the only thing keeping Bahamut's AOE from being an instant wipe every time. Maybe if your setup is good enough to afford you to RW wall you can get away without him?

It is really sad that Edward's base MAG is higher than his ATK, considering the only thing short of a shared SB that he can equip that uses MAG is 2* Requiem :/

• Options
    That said, if you can get swiftsong, he may be the second-most-useful support, because hastega.

• Options
    I mean, way back in the day -- like we're talking last year -- when relics were all still all of normal quality and the power-creep hadn't settled in yet, Edward's original harp was one of my most used RWs. It was like the very first thing that gave Regen to the whole party. That was even before the 3* White Mage group regen was in.

Kain's original spear with the drain effect on it was also one of my most used RW's way back in the early days. Back when I had no medica and I needed all the extra healing I could get my hands on.

• Options
    Holy moly honing up abilities gets expensive fast. I think I just spent over 3 million gil honing Dark Zone to r3, Alexander to r4, Maduin to r4, Lightning Jump to r4, Ruinga to r3 and Blood of the Wyvern to r2. I dropped below 1 million total gil, though I'm back above it now by a hair. This honing spree did also include a fair bit of orb exchange action, especially for the summons. On the plus side, I should be maybe one r4 summon away from tackling the Nightmare dungeon when it opens again. I will either make and hone Syldra, or hone Ramuh, and that should cover all of my elemental summon needs (Shiva, Ifrit and Fat Chcoobo are at r4 already). I should also be in good shape for the next time we have to fight FFXII Tiamat.

These were all abilities I wanted to hone at some point anyway (besides maybe Lightning Jump but that is 3* anyway) so at least it's out of the way, I just didn't expect such an extreme gil cost. Hey DeNA, now would be a great time for an orbfest!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    On the topic of power creep - I'm not against it at all. In fact, power creep is healthy for games. It keeps us interested.

But does anyone else feel like maybe the power creep in this game is happening too suddenly? To me, BSB's still feel like a new concept. We have what, like 12 of them now? (Ballpark figure, I didn't look it up). That's not really a lot. In fact, assuming that my guess is even somewhat accurate, that means there are still tons of "favorite characters" who do not have a BSB yet. Tons. In fact, there are still favorites who don't even have an SSB yet.

And now we already have OSBs on the horizon. Much closer than you'd think.

Again - don't get me wrong. I'm all for slow, natural power creep. But it just feels to me like maybe they're rushing it a bit.

At least in the items department. In the 6* abilities department they are creeping them out so slowly that we are now 4 months deep on this whole thing and I have not yet created even one 6* ability. Creating my first one is going to be a monumental occasion, just because it has taken so long. But even after I craft it, I won't use it, because R1 of any ability is useless. And at the rate they are releasing crystals for these things, it's going to take like 2 years to hit R3 with a 6* ability.

And it feels like the same thing is gonna be true of the new Record Spheres too. The 3* motes are trickling out a few at a time in events, and the 4* ones appear to only be available once a month on a very similar schedule to the Nightmare Realms.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Edward's kind of awful, but if you're going to Cid Mission, I think you kinda have to bring him, because stacking Full Break and Magic Breakdown with Shellga was the only thing keeping Bahamut's AOE from being an instant wipe every time. Maybe if your setup is good enough to afford you to RW wall you can get away without him?

It is really sad that Edward's base MAG is higher than his ATK, considering the only thing short of a shared SB that he can equip that uses MAG is 2* Requiem :/

Yeah, I have no idea what they were thinking when they statted him.

I have his protectga+major regen SB, which--on paper--is pretty decent.

But I almost never have him on my team, because he's always the weakest link.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Stilts wrote: »

Yeah, I have no idea what they were thinking when they statted him.

I have his protectga+major regen SB, which--on paper--is pretty decent.

But I almost never have him on my team, because he's always the weakest link.

Quistis's and Sazh's SSBs say hello to that too. At least he could bring Full Break when I do eventually need to use him.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Another interesting thing about Edward is that his first relic also was MAG focused. It's almost like they hadn't really thought about what Bard abilities were going to be (pretty sure he was the ONLY Bard for a long time), because if Bards were actually MAG focused then it would make sense, since his MAG stat is about in line with other Support character's ATK stats. This probably also explains why his newer harps have such high ATK on them. Dream Harp is by far the highest ATK ranged unique SB weapon, on par with SSB weapons. When his Lamia Harp debuts (Edward's BSB weapon) it has higher ATK than Kain's BSB, which debuted in the same event, and the Lamia Harp is of course a ranged weapon on top of that. So clearly they recognize that Edward is handicapped by his stats, but wouldn't it make more sense to just buff his base stats instead of making his relics more powerful than anybody else's relics? After all, Edward isn't the only one that can use instruments.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Sazh SSB (Protect, high regen, +20% mag) will probably be decent for mage teams once you can RW Onion Knight's hastega + 30% ATK+MAG, you'll just need someone to bring Shellga and you'll be good to wreck some fools. Until then, it's really awkward to slot, considering it's an SSB.

Quistis SSB (Hastega, Shellga, high regen) would be fine if she had Support 5, or didn't need record dive to get up to 4* white. :X
    chrisnl wrote: »
    So clearly they recognize that Edward is handicapped by his stats, but wouldn't it make more sense to just buff his base stats instead of making his relics more powerful than anybody else's relics? After all, Edward isn't the only one that can use instruments.

More Ramza favoritism, obviously. :P

here's a high-synergy, no unique SB clear of U+ Asura/Leviathan. Uses two shared medicas:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/4tb5ra/u_asuraleviathan_cm_clear_setup_no_unique_sbs/

Fry on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    So clearly they recognize that Edward is handicapped by his stats, but wouldn't it make more sense to just buff his base stats instead of making his relics more powerful than anybody else's relics? After all, Edward isn't the only one that can use instruments.

More Ramza favoritism, obviously. :P

Not all of us have Shout. I'll give the shiny harp to Faris, though. ;)

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Man, I need to get Heroic Stance.

• Options
    Looks like the VIII ultimates next week are Propagators (five of them, two at a time) and GF Bahamut. Both have a mountain of HP and very high DEF/RES, Propagators actually have higher DEF/RES and more total HP than Bahamut, wtf. It'll definitely be a marathon for people who don't have damage SBs to carve through all of that. Might be time for all those Rinoa throwers to shine.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    And they're all weak against Blind and Slow.

So hone up your Blind Shell and get Laguna ready for prime time.

It'll also be probably the only time that Angel Wing Quake (AoE slow) will be usefu... oh wait, Bahamut's immune to Earth.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I was wondering if we'll see the story realms start using FFIV the after years some time after it finally gives is the final battle with Zeromus.

But if it does, I'm wondering how it will be able to make the repeat and cameo boss fights any different from the other FFIV realms or the actual boss fights from those games.

If nothing else, though, it'd be cool to get new characters, like Ceodore, Ursula, Luca, and Monk C.

Enlong on
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    No, this is stupid. I don't know how you people did this, but 4 turns of AE magic in a row EVERY attempt basically does it. This is seriously enough to put me off bothering with U+ ever again.

• Options
    dporowski wrote: »
    No, this is stupid. I don't know how you people did this, but 4 turns of AE magic in a row EVERY attempt basically does it. This is seriously enough to put me off bothering with U+ ever again.

For the Cid Mission? I couldn't handle it, is the thing; needed to have three dps who could self heal before I could Clear that fight. That, and Shellga plus Magic Breakdown plus Full Break, and people wearing armors and robes instead of Bracers.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »

For the Cid Mission? I couldn't handle it, is the thing; needed to have three dps who could self heal before I could Clear that fight. That, and Shellga plus Magic Breakdown plus Full Break, and people wearing armors and robes instead of Bracers.

Nope. Using my usual team. I'm getting destroyed through all the breakdowns + shell. Just about the time I get the healer down, it's 4 turns of Deluge/Blizzard, and that's that. Tried bringing a magic blink, and that just meant "5 turns".

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Is the indication that you slowed the enemy the pulsing grey circle that comes out of their body?

I wish any of these debuff/buff indications were more clear. I don't have a clue when Shout, Protectga, Retaliate, Draw Fire, Breakdowns, Sea Lord's Broadside, anything is going to wear off and when I should recast it.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    Is the indication that you slowed the enemy the pulsing grey circle that comes out of their body?

I wish any of these debuff/buff indications were more clear. I don't have a clue when Shout, Protectga, Retaliate, Draw Fire, Breakdowns, Sea Lord's Broadside, anything is going to wear off and when I should recast it.

Yeah, the pulsing grey circles is Slow.

I can't help you when knowing when things are about to wear off. But with Retaliate, you can tell when it's already dropped; the character stops holding their "ready to attack" pose.

That said , there are definitely worse games for knowing when things are active. Just try playing FFV and determining whether a monster has a status ailment.

• Options
    edited July 2016

Yes. And Protectga makes units glow yellow like how Shellga makes units glow green.

As for the rest, it would be nice. It's best to just count turns and stay in a rhythm. And/or refresh them before you know they need to be refreshed.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Well, yea, Auron is just alternating between Retaliate and Draw Fire because I'd like them to never drop, I just know this is extremely inefficient and I'm losing auto-attack opportunities because of it.

Characters
This discussion has been closed.