As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Space Sim Megathread | Getting a Barbarosa from the Vigor Syndicate is Hard

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    If X Rebirth did nothing else, it demonstrated that the fabled "Walk Around The Stations" feature that everyone always wants is not an inherently good idea. I think Frontier are correct when they point out "Sure, but then what do you do?"

Eh, it's still a feature I would like, but it's not one that I want to have to do. Occasionally having to dock to go meet someone? Sure. Ability to go see a shipyard or trade goods vendor in person? Great. Ability to just roleplay? Cool. Having to land and run all over looking for the various NPCs to do anything? No thanks.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    If X Rebirth did nothing else, it demonstrated that the fabled "Walk Around The Stations" feature that everyone always wants is not an inherently good idea. I think Frontier are correct when they point out "Sure, but then what do you do?"

Eh, it's still a feature I would like, but it's not one that I want to have to do. Occasionally having to dock to go meet someone? Sure. Ability to go see a shipyard or trade goods vendor in person? Great. Ability to just roleplay? Cool. Having to land and run all over looking for the various NPCs to do anything? No thanks.

Or could go the SC route. They answered the question of "what do you do?" with "Duh...shoot people with space-guns!"

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular

I would make that stuff a part of the story content, with a few general things for freeplay like stores, a bar for missions, places to recruit wingmen etc.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

Yeah, there's cool ways to do it. The ability to go into a bar and meet up with a contact for a mission, or go and look around a shipyard in person? Badass, gimme. The problem is that it tends to be used to duplicate functionality that would be better off in a ship menu.

Going to a space bar to pick up local tips and tricks, maybe pick up some shadier missions? That could be a cool addition to a traditional BBS with clean missions on it.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular

Yeah, there's cool ways to do it. The ability to go into a bar and meet up with a contact for a mission, or go and look around a shipyard in person? Badass, gimme. The problem is that it tends to be used to duplicate functionality that would be better off in a ship menu.

Going to a space bar to pick up local tips and tricks, maybe pick up some shadier missions? That could be a cool addition to a traditional BBS with clean missions on it.

Yeah it's amusing to me that Elite's space stations all have a 'Black Market' option on their menu, with "I wish to sell illegal goods" as a hilariously innocent option. I think it'd feel better if you either had to build up some contacts to do that, find shady people in bars, or at least buy some kind of access or hack for your ship that let you get to the market.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I WOULD LIKE TO BUY THE DRUGS. THE ILLEGAL DRUGS. PLEASE SELL ME SOME ILLEGAL DRUGS TO BUY.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I do like how space sim's are making mouse and keyboard a viable control method

You could not play Freespace very well without a joystick.

Well I couldn't anyway.

• Options
    I still remember the bars you'd go to and conversations you'd have in Privateer 2: The Darkening. I think that it's now a game people don't look back on with much fondness, but I really enjoyed it.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    darleysam wrote: »
    I still remember the bars you'd go to and conversations you'd have in Privateer 2: The Darkening. I think that it's now a game people don't look back on with much fondness, but I really enjoyed it.

privateer 2 was really cool

it just was damn near unplayable on my pc

there would be like 0.5 second delay before any sound played which I was never able to fix

• Options
    Karl wrote: »
    I do like how space sim's are making mouse and keyboard a viable control method

You could not play Freespace very well without a joystick.

Well I couldn't anyway.

Speaking of Privateer 2, I played that with a mouse way back in the day, and got on just fine there.
    Brolo wrote: »

privateer 2 was really cool

it just was damn near unplayable on my pc

there would be like 0.5 second delay before any sound played which I was never able to fix

I can't imagine trying to solve a problem like that back then.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I played TIE fighter with a mouse and keyboard back in the day. Even when I had a joystick I still used the mouse for aiming. I played a profound amount of X3 with mouse and keyboard, but the flight model for that is kind of bleh so why even use a hotas.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    You are all better pilots than me.

Just couldn't do it with the mouse.

I shall have to give it another go though.

And finally complete strike suit zero

• Options
    In fact just last year I got Elite 2 running and ended up playing that with a mouse because it was significantly easier than keys.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

I've played Pulsar, and having to go walk around the space station to pick up and deliver quests is...not what I came here to do. The abstract approach Privateer took would work for me, but I don't have any interest in actually walking around the place.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I'd say the Privateer, Freelancer, etc model of "click to move between perhaps a half-dozen rooms/sets where you can do different things - buy/outfit ships, trade cargo, check the jobs board, and of course, the bar" is a good medium.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular

Yeah it's amusing to me that Elite's space stations all have a 'Black Market' option on their menu, with "I wish to sell illegal goods" as a hilariously innocent option. I think it'd feel better if you either had to build up some contacts to do that, find shady people in bars, or at least buy some kind of access or hack for your ship that let you get to the market.

Nah, Smugglers and pirates really don't need these additional difficulties added to their playstyle. I can see where you are coming from for immersion but in practice it's just a bunch of barriers in the way of Elite's core gameplay which is flying your ship.

• Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    Steam Sale means Freespace 2 bought.

I'll dig into the FSO scene soon enough.

steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    It's (fairly) self explanatory, but if you want help or recommendations, just PM me. Definitely use the installer, that does most of the work.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I should probably pick up Freespace 2

I never played it back in the day because someone compared it to Descent and I have an almost pathological hatred of Descent

• Options

I never played it back in the day because someone compared it to Descent and I have an almost pathological hatred of Descent

It shares nothing with Descent except for the name (in the case of Freespace 1).

• Options
    Orca wrote: »

It shares nothing with Descent except for the name (in the case of Freespace 1).
    FreeSpace was Volition's first project after the split from Parallax Software, which also spawned Outrage Entertainment.[21] It is not part of the canon of the Descent computer game series, and contained none of its ideas and only small portions of its code.[22][23] It was only prefixed with Descent to avoid trademark issues with Mijenix Corporation's "FreeSpace", a disk compression utility.[24][25] Volition also used the term "FreeSpace" in the game to initially describe what became later known as subspace.[26]

yeah it is the loosest of all possible connections

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    That was actually the reason I didn't play the games on release. I remember seeing Descent: Freespace and dismissing it, since I wasn't a fan of Descent. Later when Interplay started releasing those cheap 2 pack games, I picked up Freespace after looking at the back and actually realizing it was a space sim. I got Freespace 2 after that.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    Which version of X3 should I be installing? It's been forever since I played the game last and I don't remember which version I was playing, other than it was a physical media version. But I've got all 3 iterations on Steam now, and it looks like Albion Prelude is the latest, but I wanted to check with you fine folks to make sure there isn't a compelling reason to play one of the other versions.

Also, I grabbed the 'bonus pack' for AP through Steam, which included some community scripts. Is there anything else particularly vital I should look at mod-wise prior to firing the game up?

Also also, I feel kind of silly asking about suggestions for X3 right after a page or so was dedicated to bashing Egosoft, but I enjoyed the crap out of it back when I played it initially, plus it's what I've got and doesn't require me to buy anything new.

And finally, weighing in on the KBAM vs flight stick, I've always played space/flight sims with KBAM, I think partially due to that being how I played X-Wing and Tie-Fighter back in the day while my cousin had a flight stick and mocked my KBAM ways. And since I was able to play just as well as my cousin did, I've written off most flight stick enthusiasm as controller snobbery and have made due with my trusty mouse. Plus, while I've never been poor, decent flight sticks were typically pretty expensive considering space sims aren't my primary gaming focus.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    JesDerJesDer Registered User regular
    abotkin wrote: »
    Which version of X3 should I be installing?

AP is the latest. I haven't played X3 in a long time but I only ever used the mods from Egosoft.

Even with it's problems, I enjoy X:Rebirth in its current state but it is still not as good as X3:AP. The latest DLC (?) for rebirth added SETA and a player ship Jumpdrive which were the two biggest things I missed from X3. The problem is, starting up it will likely be a while before you gain access to them. Once you have them, you are likely tired of the game anyway.

• Options
    abotkin wrote: »
    Which version of X3 should I be installing? It's been forever since I played the game last and I don't remember which version I was playing, other than it was a physical media version. But I've got all 3 iterations on Steam now, and it looks like Albion Prelude is the latest, but I wanted to check with you fine folks to make sure there isn't a compelling reason to play one of the other versions.

Also, I grabbed the 'bonus pack' for AP through Steam, which included some community scripts. Is there anything else particularly vital I should look at mod-wise prior to firing the game up?

Also also, I feel kind of silly asking about suggestions for X3 right after a page or so was dedicated to bashing Egosoft, but I enjoyed the crap out of it back when I played it initially, plus it's what I've got and doesn't require me to buy anything new.

And finally, weighing in on the KBAM vs flight stick, I've always played space/flight sims with KBAM, I think partially due to that being how I played X-Wing and Tie-Fighter back in the day while my cousin had a flight stick and mocked my KBAM ways. And since I was able to play just as well as my cousin did, I've written off most flight stick enthusiasm as controller snobbery and have made due with my trusty mouse. Plus, while I've never been poor, decent flight sticks were typically pretty expensive considering space sims aren't my primary gaming focus.

I just did vanilla Albion Prelude with the bonus stuff, just like you did.

I started to look into a couple mods though I haven't installed any just yet. I may make a Steam "vanilla" install and then a modified install in a separate location so I can play around without having to worry about Steam "cleaning up" the mod's files.

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    I'm shocked - shocked I say! - that there seem to be people who don't love the Descent games. Those games were visionary and amazing and your opinions and tastes are clearly wrong! :p

/me hides in a corner and sulks

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    Descent was scary to me as a kid. The bad guys could come from any direction! And even when you won a level you had like 60 seconds to escape or you lost.

Thief bot was infuriating.

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Descent was scary to me as a kid. The bad guys could come from any direction! And even when you won a level you had like 60 seconds to escape or you lost.

Thief bot was infuriating.

Agreed on all counts! Somehow all that really made it compelling for me.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Descent was an amazing game, but given my motion sickness issues I'm not sure how the hell I managed to beat both games.

I guess I must have muscled through somehow when I was younger? I'd toss my cookies these days, that's for sure.

• Options
    So, after messing around with it, I think I got FSO working with my Steam install.

Tried it out and thought, huh, doesn't look that impressive. Yeah, it's not as jagged...

Then I found where you turn on the mods.

Oh.

Okay then. I see. It's not bleeding edge but...well, let's just say that I can see the appeal.

And it has a good tutorial!

Definitely should have done this sooner, but better late than never.

• Options
    Jedi_BoiJedi_Boi Registered User regular
    And I'm dying for a similar experience of FS2 for my ps4.

i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
  • Options
    ...oh gods, what am I doing?

I'm learning about FreePie and how to custom map commands to my Xbox controller...I've lost my mind...

• Options
    PhaserlightPhaserlight Boca Raton, FLRegistered User regular
    Part 2 of my VO retrospective is up.

Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    What the doodly is this thing? Has anyone ever played it?

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I've got the second one installed. Intro Cutscene is pure Russian and its something different to be able to fly up to an enemy ship, dock, and fight your way through its AI hordes.

I dunno how much the original is like that but I had a little fun.

Again, the intro and audio and even the tutorial were pure Russian design choices.

• Options
    PhaserlightPhaserlight Boca Raton, FLRegistered User regular
    Part 3 is up.

Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online
  • Options
    Thrawn is cannon in star wars rebels as of season 3.

This is a new hope that we might strike back in a new tie fighter game and return to the halls of imperial academies so that we may exact revenge for any attack that menaces the empire.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Everspace was released into Early Access on Steam and GOG.com yesterday. I got a copy as a backer and installed it, but didn't have time to get through the tutorial. No VR support until some time next year I think.

• Options
    House of a dying son's challenge mode is my current goto for chilling after work.

Still no effective method to deal with clusters of missiles besides running away

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    House of a dying son's challenge mode is my current goto for chilling after work.

Still no effective method to deal with clusters of missiles besides running away

Have you tried just walking it off?

JtgVX0H.png