As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Space Sim Megathread | Getting a Barbarosa from the Vigor Syndicate is Hard

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Six wrote: »
    “Stabilize your rear deflectors. Watch for enemy fighters.”

X-wings and presumably y-wings had shields with control over their direction in A New Hope.

Edit: Also, “Switch all power to front deflectors screens” and “set your deflector screens to double front.”

The shield management in X-Wing was designed around these quotes from the trench run.

Sure. It´s just that x-wings (etc.) don´t seem to be any better or worse than ties. Yet ties are (in all non-movie media) protrayed as absolute dogshit.

I think a lot of that is really rule of cool:stuff needs to blow up. In general, the X-Wings are portrayed as being more robust (have hyperdrives, can take a hit or two) than TIEs (always explode when touched) and the Empire has lots of disposable stuff (like Stormtroopers) rather than fewer, beefier ships. All the ancillary materials like the West End RPGS books played this stuff up And they were pulling from behind the scenes stuff like prototype ships and interviews with the special effects guys that were having fun dreaming all this up.

As always, the challenge with Star Wars is what’s your personal canon? Only what’s in the movies? Only what’s in official media? Only what Lucasfilm/Disney says is canon? What the people making it thought at the time? What the people making it now decided to use or retcon?

The possibilities are endless and contradictory.

Fuckin Star Wars.

wj0wyqf358us.gif
    Also :lol:

Edit: Also TOTP :lol:

Jazz on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

X-wings and presumably y-wings had shields with control over their direction in A New Hope.

Edit: Also, “Switch all power to front deflectors screens” and “set your deflector screens to double front.”

The shield management in X-Wing was designed around these quotes from the trench run.

Sure. It´s just that x-wings (etc.) don´t seem to be any better or worse than ties. Yet ties are (in all non-movie media) protrayed as absolute dogshit.

It's memetic. Stormtroopers are a bunch of stomp-y incompetents, even though in first trilogy they are far and away the most competent infantry we see (largely because rebel infantry all suck, and spear-carrying teddy bears are not infantry, they're guerillas), and they're also the only infantry to actually check among their own for wounded (because their armor might actually keep them alive, but no one can tell).

Star Wars does not seem to be a franchise that lends itself to competent "bad guys", the same way it is not a franchise that lends itself to numerous "good guys". We're basically reusing the same "evil so massive it blots out the sun versus good so small it fits in a bathtub" scheme, over and over, even when it seems harder to justify, like a sweeping Rebel victory leading to a new Galactic Republic opposed by a fragment of the defeated empire.

It gets a little repetitive, I'd argue, but people like it.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular

I think a lot of that is really rule of cool:stuff needs to blow up. In general, the X-Wings are portrayed as being more robust (have hyperdrives, can take a hit or two) than TIEs (always explode when touched) and the Empire has lots of disposable stuff (like Stormtroopers) rather than fewer, beefier ships. All the ancillary materials like the West End RPGS books played this stuff up And they were pulling from behind the scenes stuff like prototype ships and interviews with the special effects guys that were having fun dreaming all this up.

As always, the challenge with Star Wars is what’s your personal canon? Only what’s in the movies? Only what’s in official media? Only what Lucasfilm/Disney says is canon? What the people making it thought at the time? What the people making it now decided to use or retcon?

Fuckin Star Wars.

The X and Y Wings also crumble under basically any fire at the Battle of Yavin. They're not taking sustained beatings anymore than the TIE Fighters, they vaporize basically instantly. The only actual difference in Rebel ship toughness seems to be the Astro, because R2 can do some repairs.

It's definitely possible that the "TIEs are weak pieces of garbage" comes from somewhere. Maybe the Lucasart devs got it from Lucas when they were asking for more information when designing the game. Maybe the West End Devs got it from someone at Lucasfilm. It seems like it had to come from somewhere instead of someone just inventing it out of whole cloth without SOMEONE involved at Lucasfilm signing off on it.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    So I completely understand, for the sake of balance sanity in a 5v5 game, making ships of a class equal. Balancing an asymmetric fight and keeping it 5v5 and satisfying for all parties would be hard as fuck and I feel like a lot people say they want that but they wouldn't actually enjoy playing it. Hell, let the imperial side have more players. It would still be a balancing nightmare - borderline impossible.

I do want that! I just don't want it to be 5v5, I want a single player campaign.

You know, so all those balance concerns go right out the window.

Orca on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Synthesis wrote: »
    It's not as though the "shields" on X-Wings actually do anything visible. Every time an X-Wing is hit, including Luke's, one of two things happen: the TIE Fighter's lasers take a big chunk out of the fighter (here, we will consider R2-D2 to be part of the fighter) or the the TIE Fighter's lasers cause the fighter to explode, either immediately or shortly after it loses control.

I've used to analogy to the point of it being tiresome, but consider: if we think of Star Wars dogfighting as being inspired by second World War aircraft guncam footage, there are German, and Japanese, and American fighters of varying degrees of speed, maneuverability, and resilience. But Japan's famed A6M5 (the "Zero") was still a lethal enemy presumably tougher American planes (not in the least because it carried higher-caliber guns that the .50 favorited by US fighters). Every single fighter craft fielded in the war, including the famed P-47 thunderbolt, could go up in a cloud of smoke from a single direct hit from a 20 or 30 mm autocannon shell.

This is certainly where George was coming from, it's just not as interesting from a gameplay perspective. The variety of ships with subtly different stat blocks in XWM seems like a pretty insane way to run a military, but they make the game more interesting because combat is slowed down enough to create moments where all those little +/- 1 distinctions pay off in an enjoyable way.

So while Lucas was aping the dynamic between two aircraft designed by opposing parties to be the most efficient killing machine in the sky, then papering over that with plot-armor as needed, the original X-Wing devs were left to figure out how to capture the essence of that plot armor, and the TIE Fighter team then had to figure out how credibly balance those decisions so people flying the TIEs could have the same hero moments.

What you get is a fun eco system where both parties in a war had to have signed a treaty to make silly artistic choices that complement one another, instead of simply trying to blow the other side up as cheaply, and quickly, as possible. This bears no resemblance to Lucas's head canon, but is a much better game design for it.

Edit 3: UP! Blow the other side up

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    In the X-Wing series, it was matter of factly stated the Empire had near infinite man power reserves drawing on earlier RPG stuff like West End Games. Any dogfight or action against any Imperial force would be "minimum" 3 vs. 1 numerically disadvantaged.
    Which is what we see in the films, the Empire's fighter force at the DSII alone was almost enough to swamp the entire assembled Rebel fleet. Same as Darth Vader's personal TIE force being enough to slaughter 90% of the Yavin strike force.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    In the X-Wing series, it was matter of factly stated the Empire had near infinite man power reserves drawing on earlier RPG stuff like West End Games. Any dogfight or action against any Imperial force would be "minimum" 3 vs. 1 numerically disadvantaged.
    Which is what we see in the films, the Empire's fighter force at the DSII alone was almost enough to swamp the entire assembled Rebel fleet. Same as Darth Vader's personal TIE force being enough to slaughter 90% of the Yavin strike force.

Except that at Yavin Darth Vader's squadron is outnumbered more than two to one by Rebel ships. They still cut them to ribbons, but they are significantly outnumbered.

(There were presumably hundreds or thousands of TIE Fighters aboard the Death Star, but they just sat there because Peter Cushing ain't afraid of nobody.)

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »

Fuckin Star Wars.

The X and Y Wings also crumble under basically any fire at the Battle of Yavin. They're not taking sustained beatings anymore than the TIE Fighters, they vaporize basically instantly. The only actual difference in Rebel ship toughness seems to be the Astro, because R2 can do some repairs.

It's definitely possible that the "TIEs are weak pieces of garbage" comes from somewhere. Maybe the Lucasart devs got it from Lucas when they were asking for more information when designing the game. Maybe the West End Devs got it from someone at Lucasfilm. It seems like it had to come from somewhere instead of someone just inventing it out of whole cloth without SOMEONE involved at Lucasfilm signing off on it.

True, and that’s where I say rule of cool, everything blows up. It’s cooler to have the rebels blow up a lot too. But they do take a few hits. Luke gets a little cooked but he’s ok. Wedge take a hit and then has to bail out. Luke or Wedge or someone takes a hit to an engine (which is called back to in the Squadrons trailer). Every time a TIE is touched it’s dead, I believe.

But yeah, the differences are minor. When you’re now designing a game based on this (RPG or video game), you can take that stuff and then amplify it to make things more balanced or fun. Then we end up with our personal head canons.

Even if the TIEs were meant to be numerous and disposable, we don’t actually see that in A New Hope and even really in Empire. Why not? First of all, the technology didn’t exist to do it well since you needed to motion control capture and then composite every ship. So even if that was the intent, having dozens of TIEs on screen wasn’t possible. They did a pretty good job of explaining that partly in the movie—“They let us go, it was the only reason for the ease of our escape,” for instance. By the time Jedi rolls around, they’re better at it and then by the time Rogue One is made you could really show it, but of course now we’re talking about a movie made decades later AFTER all the other stuff that added to the world that may or may not have been the original intent of Lucas or ILM or Dennis Muren dreaming up stuff on his way to work in 1976.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    It just seems like they have just an easier keybind to reroute quickly, I don't know if that's really a buff or a QoL improvement since you aren't using those buttons anyways?

Regardless, it's weird to have the turbocharged lasers thing on a generic TIE. Like they still only have two guns, shouldn't really outshoot an X-Wing under any circumstance? Are they going to let them have missile and torp loadouts? It's just kind of hilarious that they put the TIE ln in the same tier as the X-Wing. Swap it with the interceptor, they're more comparable, the interceptor is more fragile but faster and has the quad laser cannons.

Also kind of disappointed there isn't some big ass 50 vs 50 grand space battle mode.

By more quickly it meant that the energy would be transferred between systems more quickly.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    It just seems like they have just an easier keybind to reroute quickly, I don't know if that's really a buff or a QoL improvement since you aren't using those buttons anyways?

Regardless, it's weird to have the turbocharged lasers thing on a generic TIE. Like they still only have two guns, shouldn't really outshoot an X-Wing under any circumstance? Are they going to let them have missile and torp loadouts? It's just kind of hilarious that they put the TIE ln in the same tier as the X-Wing. Swap it with the interceptor, they're more comparable, the interceptor is more fragile but faster and has the quad laser cannons.

Also kind of disappointed there isn't some big ass 50 vs 50 grand space battle mode.

By more quickly it meant that the energy would be transferred between systems more quickly.

I kind of felt he meant that it would reach turbocharged status faster.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Squadrons seeming to have only partly arcadey flight model, asyemetrical TIE vs X-Wing differences and a focus on smaller fights rather than trying to make massive furballs is exciting as hell honestly.

• Options

I kind of felt he meant that it would reach turbocharged status faster.

Instantly, not faster, but the other system is drained. It's described as a separate ability from power management:
    The ships that don’t have shields have a quick power conversion ability, using some of the same buttons and inputs. You can rapidly reroute power from engine to lasers or vice versa.

Basically, it seriously debuffs the other system when you do that. If I fully pull all the juice out of my engines and dump it into my lasers, I can get instantaneous supercharged lasers,

This implies that normal ships don't completely take power away from deprioritized systems, they just degrade their performance. I'm guessing all power to X leaves Y and Z at 50% performance while X performs at 200% and starts charging it's boost power. TIEs can probably still do that, but they will have this extra panic ability to completely disable one system for an immediately available boost power.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Fuckin Star Wars.

Watched a bit of that comparison video of ANH versions, and something stuck out to me.

X-Wings will also just explode for no reason whatsoever! Look at what happened to Porkins. "I have a problem!" Sure, it cuts to turbolasers shooting, but it's said that the turbolasers can't track the fighters. Also, there's nothing shown of Porkins' X-Wing actually taking a hit...it just explodes on its own.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Given the difference is one of raw tanking vs situational utility I fully expect the balance to be a screamer about thing where X wings lose their luster in higher levels of play and Ties can’t compete with shoddy pilots.

Which if nothing else is amusingly close to the general ideas of how the ships perform in smaller engagements.

Albino Bunny on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Fuckin Star Wars.

Watched a bit of that comparison video of ANH versions, and something stuck out to me.

X-Wings will also just explode for no reason whatsoever! Look at what happened to Porkins. "I have a problem!" Sure, it cuts to turbolasers shooting, but it's said that the turbolasers can't track the fighters. Also, there's nothing shown of Porkins' X-Wing actually taking a hit...it just explodes on its own.

That's common in a lot of pre-CGI dogfighting movies like in Iron Eagle, where it cuts from shots of a missile tracking to a model exploding. Your brain fills in the gaps.

• Options
    The thing about being a long tenured/well promoted TIE pilot is that you're basically fucking amazing. They don't hold your hand and that shit is a death trap so if you've been flying for five years you're probably a god. They probably don't even bother learning the names/callsigns of new recruits because they'll probably be dead before then.

@Erlkönig Didn't Porkins run into something? He thought he could pull his way out of a dive or something?

• Options
    edited June 2020
    The thing about being a long tenured/well promoted TIE pilot is that you're basically fucking amazing. They don't hold your hand and that shit is a death trap so if you've been flying for five years you're probably a god. They probably don't even bother learning the names/callsigns of new recruits because they'll probably be dead before then.

Erlkönig Didn't Porkins run into something? He thought he could pull his way out of a dive or something?

Nope. In all cuts, he was in level flight.
    That's common in a lot of pre-CGI dogfighting movies like in Iron Eagle, where it cuts from shots of a missile tracking to a model exploding. Your brain fills in the gaps.

As you said, they show the missile tracking. This was 2 cuts of the same turbolasers shooting twice, then him exploding. In the very next sequence showing X-Wing exploding, they do show a single pair of TIE fighter lasers hitting an X-Wing, resulting in the X-Wing exploding. Pre-CGI or not, Porkins got shafted by an unsafe X-Wing.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Mechanical failures causing casualties are not unheard of.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Didn't Porkins run into something? He thought he could pull his way out of a dive or something?

The original Rogue Squadron novel had Wedge musing that Porkin's crashed in a dive because had his inertial compensator cranked to full, and couldn't "feel" the X-Wing not pulling up.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »

To be expected, really. Rebels.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Didn't Porkins run into something? He thought he could pull his way out of a dive or something?

The original Rogue Squadron novel had Wedge musing that Porkin's crashed in a dive because had his inertial compensator cranked to full, and couldn't "feel" the X-Wing not pulling up.

See I knew I wasn't making that up.

• Options
    Basil wrote: »

You don't see any grease monkeys hanging around in those imperial hangar shots.

TIEs do not fail, they can only be failed.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

Please don't use Wookie slurs in this thread.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Didn't Porkins run into something?

Yes, he faceplanted into the plot.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Mvrck wrote: »

Please don't use Wookiee slurs in this thread.

:eek:

Oh my God, I'm so sorry. One of my best friends is...

possibly just honoring a life debt... to me.

Oh God, I rented a tree house and had everyone dress up as Wookiees for his last birthday because he seemed homesick.

Shit, this is not a good look at all, is it?

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    It's sort of hilarious that Wedge tells Porkins "Eject!"

Into what exactly? He's not wearing a space suit and even if he says when you blow the Death Star Perkins is going to have an up close and personal view of the blast.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Into what exactly? He's not wearing a space suit and even if he says when you blow the Death Star Perkins is going to have an up close and personal view of the blast.

Hey, when you're cribbing from WW2 and fighters in space behave like they're in an atmosphere...sure, why not?

• Options
    He also knew Han was coming back and figured he could swoop him up on the way in.

• Options
    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    So in the starter zone, the mission to explore the galaxy is locked under a "mostly harmless" rating. I don't really plan on bounty hunting and will most likely be avoiding fighting if at all possible. Is there some reason the game is forcing combat as your fitness to get out of the kiddie pool?

It's not so much that you're locked in to the kiddie pool, as that would-be gankers are locked out. The only reason that the quality of ships and equipment is so limited in there, is to prevent said jerks from rolling up a new character and going seal-clubbing in a meta-de-lance.

You can leave anytime you want, but Elite rewards pilots who use their head. Those gankers are out there.
    Have a plan.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Into the slim chance that a rescue flight (of off-screen U-Wings ... trust me, they're there ...) can pick him up before the big kaboom, instead of the certain death of impacting on the surface of the Death Star.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Looks great to me. Space Fighter + VR + HOTAS = done deal. Yeah it would be cool if they could do some massive battles, but this is a good start. We could see a next gen/PC update for more AI's.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    THERE'S AI MOOKS TO KILL IN FLEET BATTLES THIS IS NOT A DRILL

https://mobile.twitter.com/jaykingingram/status/1273797909591416832?s=21

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I just can't stop laughing that Elite Dangerous and NMS are all getting their planet walking modes done before Star Citizen.

You are way ahead of yourself when it comes to E:D getting something done. But it would be amusing.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    THERE'S AI MOOKS TO KILL IN FLEET BATTLES THIS IS NOT A DRILL

https://mobile.twitter.com/jaykingingram/status/1273797909591416832?s=21

That's cool.

Now hopefully they have missions in multiplayer vs straight up dogfights all the time. I haven't ready everything yet, so maybe that has been revealed.

• Options
    Bigity wrote: »
    I just can't stop laughing that Elite Dangerous and NMS are all getting their planet walking modes done before Star Citizen.

You are way ahead of yourself when it comes to E:D getting something done. But it would be amusing.

Especially since Star Citizen has had planet-walking for...a whiles now. Like, around a year ago now or so. I distinctly remember crashing during one of last year's events and dropping from an inverted loaner ship onto the cockpit of my still-hovering ship I was piloting when the game crashed...but I wound up bouncing along its fuselage and breaking my legs after falling off and onto a planet's surface.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    NMS had planet walking right from the start. What is this new thing people are talking about?

• Options
    NMS had planet walking right from the start. What is this new thing people are talking about?

Yeah, NMS actually launched with a terrestrial gameplay mechanic.

Unlike, you know, multiplayer.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Heh yeah I was a bit confused by that too. NMS launched with planet walking like, 4 years ago or something?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

If anything, the issue with NMS was that back at launch it didn't really have anything else.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Specifically, we were told it would have so much more. Or that what it did have was 'technically' what they said it would have