As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hex: Shards of Fate] PvE TCG - FRA 2.0 is that guy who brings a netdeck to casual play

gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
edited September 2017 in Games and Technology
ACCOUNT MIGRATION UPDATE: If you didn't log in between February and September, you may need to contact Hex to get your Kickstarter rewards reactivated.

i-ZRD5Mnv-950x10000.jpg

Who and why do I care?
Hex is an MMO TCG being kickstarted by Cryptozoic Entertainment. Previously, they created the World of Warcraft TCG, the Walking Dead card game, a few Penny Arcade games (Gamers Vs. Evil, Rumble in R'lyeh, the iOS deckbuilder Gamers Vs. Evil, etc) and more! They want this to become the worlds first MMO TCG. You'll design a hero and do card battle across the lands, levelling up your hero and getting new cards to carefully craft that deck. Even go on raids!

cdf1005f9a75d8f29ec46139311535e8_large.jpg?1363308494

FEATURES

-Currently over 1700 different cards available.

-Socketed cards. Add gems to your cards to customize them and even change them when sideboarding.

3bf687e49ff4a3755b71e7cb08fd96d7_large.jpg?1363319525

-Equipment. Use your six equipment slots in PvE to alter how cards work.

-Buy and sell cards, gear, and other in-game rewards in an AUCTION HOUSE. A full player economy allows you to trade and sell your gear and cards as you build the ultimate collection.

-Extended Art. Tired of seeing that text box telling you stuff you already know? How about beautiful full sized art instead?

-Purely Digital. The computer takes care of all the rules, and the mechanics take advantage of this. Want to buff cards in your hand? Add hidden counters to cards? Play cards straight from your deck? All these are currently possible!

FAQ:
Q: But..how much will this run you?
A: Nothing! It's free to play! You receive 200 free cards when starting and can play PvE to earn gold. Using money to buy platinum for PvP is certainly FASTER though.

Q: Can you use equipment in PvP?
A: No. A casual "Wild West" mode that allows it is in the roadmap.

Q: Mac and PC? <crosses fingers>
A: Yes, it's even on Steam!

Q: What do I do with all these packs from Kickstarting?
A: The EV (expected value) from cracking them is pretty close to that of selling them and buying the cards you want from the AH.

What is Drafting? Answer courtesy of Rus

Picture showing up to an event and buying 3 new boosters. You sit at a table with X other players, each of whom also has 3 boosters. Everyone opens one of their packs and picks one card to keep, then passes the stack to the left. Repeat this process until all cards are picked, then do the same for packs 2 and 3. You wind up with 3 packs worth of cards and make the best deck you can from those pickings, then you play the tournament.

This is opposed to Constructed where everyone just brings their own decks. It's an exercise in improvisation and a level playing field for all players. You keep all the cards you pick when the day is said and done, so some people just draft the most valuable cards every time, which is spiffo if you pull an expensive Legendary card.

What is Draft Gauntlet Answer courtesy of gjaustin
With the exception of major tournaments, all Drafts are now gauntlets. The drafting portion is still synchronous with other players, but then you can get matches asynchronously until you either lose two matches or play three matches. You need to win at least two matches to get any prizes.

What is Sealed Gauntlet Answer courtesy of gjaustin
Similar to draft, except you just open your boosters and use them to make a deck. Except you don't have to play all your games in one sitting and can come back later!

Regular Sealed Gauntlet: 6 packs, play until 5 wins or 3 losses. Rewards are 1 pack per win.

Evo Gauntlet is more complicated:
Start with 2 packs, plus two (free) rareless packs
1 win: Win a pack. It's automatically opened and added to your pool.
3 wins: Win a pack. Also automatically opened.
5 wins: Win a pack. NOT automatically opened.

Guilds!
The plan is for a Penny Arcade guild created by SniperGuy, but they're not in the game yet. "Practice with friends using the guild deck bank, or join guild sanctioned tournaments." Pax Arcadia is the leading choice for a name.

Google form for usernames Courtesy of Darkewolfe
Entry Form: http://goo.gl/forms/REOwHHhtmu
Complete List: https://goo.gl/1Jva2G

Pack and Rarity Breakdown Courtesy of ManetherenWolf
Rarity is the orb on the left side between the picture and text box.

White: Common
Green: Uncommon
Blue: Rare
Red: Legendary
Orange: AI only PvE card

Alternate arts cards have some fancy gold trim around the orb to mark them as such.
PvE only cards have similar fancy trim around the name box

Average Pack is 13 common (top row), 3 uncommon (2nd Row), 1 rare (bottom card with blue flames around it before you flip the card).
Sometimes the Rare will be replaced by a Legendary (Red flames around the bottom card)

There's a 5% chance to get a bonus Primal pack when buying packs that have 2 Legendary, 13 Rares.

Chests Courtesy of gjaustin
A chest is an item that you get when you open a PvP pack. It can be spun for gold and a chance at rewards, such as exclusive sleeves or bonus packs. It can also be opened for exclusive PvE rewards.

Spin rewards are not affected by the chest rarity, but the contents of the chest are.
Common - 1200g to spin, 1 item inside (Always spin these first!)
Uncommon - 3100g to spin, 1 item inside
Rare - 8500g to spin, 1 item inside
Legendary - 30000g to spin, 2 items inside ($1.50 a spin at current exchange rates, only spin these if you're rich and want sleeves)
Primal - 0g to spin, 3 items inside including a chance at exclusive cosmetic items

Kickstarter
Status of Rewards: http://hextcg.com/hex-backer-rewards

Green highlight = Available now
White = Will be given to your account as soon as they go live.

Shards (colors) and Races Courtesy of gjaustin

Diamond (White): Small troops; Wide buffs; Damage mitigation; Life gain; Diverse removal
Ruby (Red): Aggressive troops; Direct damage; Actions
Sapphire (Blue): Flying troops; Counterspells; Actions; Mill
Blood (Black): Varied troops; Life gain; Troop removal; Sacrifice mechanics
Wild (Green): Large troops; Narrow buffs; Ramp; Artifact/Constant Removal; Battling

Ardent - the Good Guys
Humans (D/R/S): Varied troops that provide bonuses to each other
Orcs (R/B): Very aggressive, focuses on troops with high power to cost ratio
Elves (W/R): Ramp into cards that cost 5+
Coyotle (D/B/W): Focus on recursion. Troops are slightly weaker than average, but improve the next troop in your deck.

Underworld - the Bad Guys
Necrotic (D/B/r/s): Troops that can transfer their bonuses to other troops. Damage prevention and threshold fixing.
Vennen (B/s): Focuses on disrupting your opponent's hand and troops. Able to generate large swarms of spiders.
Dwarves (R/S): Focus on Artifacts and turning cards into other cards.
Shin'hare (B/W): Focus on swarms of small cannon-fodder troops. Leverages sacrifices to generate card advantage.

LADDER REWARDS (per ladder)
Bronze
Rank 5: Bronze Sleeves
Rank 4: 1000g
Rank 3: Exclusive AA #1
Rank 2: 2000g
Rank 1: 1 current set booster
Silver
Rank 5: Silver Sleeves
Rank 4: 3000g
Rank 3: Exclusive AA #1
Rank 2: 4000g
Rank 1: 1 current set booster
Gold
Rank 5: Gold Sleeves
Rank 4: 5000g
Rank 3: Exclusive AA #2
Rank 2: 6000g
Rank 1: 2 current set boosters
Platinum
Rank 5: Platinum Sleeves
Rank 4: 8000g
Rank 3: Exclusive AA #2
Rank 2: 10000g
Rank 1: 3 current set boosters
Cosmic
Cosmic Animated Sleeves

Totals for Reaching Cosmic
39000g
7 current set boosters
2x Exclusive AA #1
2x Exclusive AA #2
Cosmic Animated Sleeves

STANDARD ROTATION
Sets are divided into blocks of 2 sets, and one block rotates out when an even set is released. New gems rotate in when an odd set is released:

Set 4 Standard: 1-2, 3-4, #1 Gems
Set 5 Standard: 1-2, 3-4, 5, #2 Gems
Set 6 Standard: 3-4, 5-6, #2 Gems
Set 7 Standard: 3-4, 5-6, 7, #3 Gems

IMMORTAL FORMAT
So that you can still use your old cards, hexprimal is hosting Immortal tournaments where every PvP card and gem is allowed. Unless its on the banned list.

gjaustin on
Β«13456710

• gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    So, some financial advice:
    • Spectral Callers are selling for a quite a decent amount of gold, if you're willing to run through the campaign to Army of Myth Diamond Cleric is the most reliable way to get them.
    • Other exclusive PvE cards (e.g. Contract Killing) have decent value too, but I'm currently flooding the market to move them in bulk - so maybe wait a week or two before trying to move them unless you're willing to accept my bulk price
    • Buy your Common, Uncommon, and Rare dust from the AH. It's flooded with the stuff.
    • Buy your Legendary and Promo dust from the deck builder. It's usually more expensive on the AH because people don't know about the Buy button.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Buy your legendary and promo dust from the deckbuilder. I don't understand this sentence. What buy button?

What is this I don't even.
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    The Buy button at the bottom of the screen anytime you zoom into a card from your collection.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    The Buy button at the bottom of the screen anytime you zoom into a card from your collection.

Correct.

The prices are:
    Common -1000g
    Uncommon - 2000g
    Rare - 4000g
    Legendary - 10000g
    Promo/AA - 25000g

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Stale board of all threshold bonereaver defending against every flying creature ever. I get shield bash, and attack wiping out most of his troops. This causes me to lose because he has rotten rancor. OF COURSE! Next game I just lose because all flying creatures is pretty good in draft. Sadly that was the exact deck I was trying to use, his was just all the small creatures.

Luckily I'm playing this game a lot less, so I'm incredibly frustrated a lot less.

38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Huzzah new thread smell!

My spider deck either does 5-1 or like, 2-3 these days. I keep coming up against weird stuff like that Tetzoc deck.

Although everything I lose to has Rune Ear Hierarch it seems. Sure I can countermagic it, but if they get one out before I can do that, extinction is my only recourse. Which can be tricky, only having 3. Gotta snag another one soon. And do more VIP stuff, that stuff seems to pay out hugely if you do moderately well.

Apparently on the 11th there's a free fiveshards this month?

gjaustin wrote: Β»

Correct.

The prices are:
    Common -1000g
    Uncommon - 2000g
    Rare - 4000g
    Legendary - 10000g
    Promo/AA - 25000g

You were correct that players, at least this one, never noticed that.

gjaustin wrote: Β»

Correct.

The prices are:
    Common -1000g
    Uncommon - 2000g
    Rare - 4000g
    Legendary - 10000g
    Promo/AA - 25000g

You were correct that players, at least this one, never noticed that.

I wonder if there's probably a market inefficiency there to exploit for profit. Buying higher levels dusts from the deck builders and then reselling them for gold on the AH is almost certainly unethical. But depending on the gold:plat ratio, there might be room for profit in reselling them in plat - which is actually providing a service.

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: Β»
    Stale board of all threshold bonereaver defending against every flying creature ever. I get shield bash, and attack wiping out most of his troops. This causes me to lose because he has rotten rancor. OF COURSE! Next game I just lose because all flying creatures is pretty good in draft. Sadly that was the exact deck I was trying to use, his was just all the small creatures.

Luckily I'm playing this game a lot less, so I'm incredibly frustrated a lot less.

Yeah, that can make gauntlet drafts tough, as you gotta grab something to deal with fliers and spiders, but you have no idea if you're even going to face any of either type.

Free constructed Fiveshards tourney starts in about 10 minutes.

Deathless Guardian is pretty nuts against Chained Goliath. It affects the damage he does to himself too, so you can potentially stall forever.

Alternatively, Blinding Light really messes up the AI.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Can someone hold my platinum for me?
    I keep playing things.
    Lost 3 comp drafts round 1, went 0-3 in 3 evo gauntlets.

38thDoE on steam

I've had some nasty string of Evo Gauntlet losses too. Sometimes I just can't figure out a decent deck from my pool.

• chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    I've been sitting on a evo gauntlet run for like a couple weeks now. It was just so uninspiring/bad I just don't feel like playing it. :(

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    The thing that really sucks is that I had really good decks in all of them, but inexplicably the other person had much better draws than I did each time. Also screw that Direct Damage deck. And flying. Everyone else seems to have such an easy time making an all flying deck.

38thDoE on steam

The thing that really sucks is that I had really good decks in all of them, but inexplicably the other person had much better draws than I did each time. Also screw that Direct Damage deck. And flying. Everyone else seems to have such an easy time making an all flying deck.

That's been more or less my experience with evo. There's just not a very big pool to give you many options for what to build starting out. You either have a great deck or a shit deck, and there's hardly any wiggle room in between.

38th, this is magic and drafting, but it's also the single best simple approach to these games I've ever seen. Maybe you are way past it, but try reading this article and seeing if you can implement anything from it in your deck building.

http://www.gatheringmagic.com/melissadetora-041212-a-beginners-guide-to-drafting/

I can confirm that the vast majority of MTG strategy tips and stuff carry over into Hex pretty well. Any tips there for general deckbuilding and such can probably be carried over.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    One problem with EVO I suspect is that people with great pools/decks are more likely to play their games than people who get crummy ones.

Back when MTGO had four week sealed leagues (woooooo!), you always wanted to hustle and play your 5 games at the starting bell because by the end of the week it was just people with the shark decks working on their tiebreakers. EVO doesn't have a starting bell, so you may be somewhat disproportionately playing folks with good cards. On the other hand, you can't grind out a million tiebreakers, so maybe that theory is a bunch of bunk. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Iolo wrote: Β»
    One problem with EVO I suspect is that people with great pools/decks are more likely to play their games than people who get crummy ones.

Back when MTGO had four week sealed leagues (woooooo!), you always wanted to hustle and play your 5 games at the starting bell because by the end of the week it was just people with the shark decks working on their tiebreakers. EVO doesn't have a starting bell, so you may be somewhat disproportionately playing folks with good cards. On the other hand, you can't grind out a million tiebreakers, so maybe that theory is a bunch of bunk. :)

In Evo Gauntlet you're paired against people who have opened the same number of packs as you. So if you have a really bad pool, most of the good decks should quickly leave your bracket.

Opponent plays Mastery of Time. Next turn plays Mastery of Time, when you play this copy it. Next turn plays Mastery of Time when you play this copy it, when you play this copy it.

SEEMS FAIR.

38thDoE on steam

Opponent plays Mastery of Time. Next turn plays Mastery of Time, when you play this copy it. Next turn plays Mastery of Time when you play this copy it, when you play this copy it.

SEEMS FAIR.
    Haha, that's awesome. It's probably the best hand he's ever had.

I love mastery of time.

I love how good reversion is in AoM/PD evo sealed.

I had a High Infinitrix two pools ago and her abilities got reverted every single time! The only thing that kept her from being useless is that after she drew out the reversion cards, my Profane Ritualist was generally safe to murder everything. I ended up 5-2.

And then I went 0-3 in the next pool because consistency is for chumps.

It's been a while since I've posted a deck. And since I got my API working again: http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=87527

Champion: Morgan McBombus

Troops
    4x Kindling Skarn (Head: Random ruby action on play)
    3x Thunderfield Seer
    4x Flickering Gobbler
    3x Starcaller Ancient (Weapon: Reduce cost of cards when prophesied card played)
    2x Titan of Voktar (Trinket: -2 cost when Ragefire played)

Actions
    4x Burn (Gloves: 3 damage)
    4x Combat Training
    4x Ragefire
    4x Lanupaw's Sight
    4x Purging Flames (Feet: Damage opponent too)

Resources
    12x Ruby Shard
    8x Sapphire Shard
    4x Shard of Innovation

It's one of my cheaper arena decks and can be made a lot cheaper since the Ragefires and Starcaller Ancients are easily replaced.

Apparently swiss draft and scheduled sealed are going away for reasons. Only played one scheduled sealed but it was very good to me. I wonder if the format pays out more than they want.

38thDoE on steam

Apparently swiss draft and scheduled sealed are going away for reasons. Only played one scheduled sealed but it was very good to me. I wonder if the format pays out more than they want.

Constructed Gauntlet too. It in particular is being removed so as not to split attention from the Constructed Ladder.

Which reminds me, time to change the thread title. I completely forgot I started it :(

Awww I like Constructed Gauntlet. Swiss seems bad to be going away, that's better for new players but it does have a bigger time investment.

Awww I like Constructed Gauntlet. Swiss seems bad to be going away, that's better for new players but it does have a bigger time investment.
    Apparently it never fires. The fact that the free draft tickets have ended for everyone but the Pro Tier is probably related.

Ironically, I found it easier to rare draft in Swiss than Single-elimination.

Removing some formats to concentrate the player base makes sense right now, since we just don't have an active enough player base to support like 7 different format. (2x drafts, 3x sealed, constructed gauntlet, scheduled constructed) PLUS the ranking system.

It sort of stinks that they had to remove swiss draft. I never played it myself, so they're obviously justified, but it seems like it's the more new player friendly of the two formats in that you get to play your games even if you lose.

I've not heard of Jeff Hoogland before, just a link off of reddit. Is he a notable enough person that him publicly switching from MTGO to Hex will spur some additional interest?

http://www.jeffhoogland.com/2016/06/farewell-to-mtgo/

I've not heard of Jeff Hoogland before, just a link off of reddit. Is he a notable enough person that him publicly switching from MTGO to Hex will spur some additional interest?

Probably a little bit. I have both beaten and lost to Jeff. He's good.

Allegedly the Friday Update today will explain the mechanics of the Ladder.

38thDoE on steam

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

You know, I can't say I've ever watched a Hex stream...

But GODDAMN I think the Twitch chats for MTGO are up there with anything for "reasons I wish there was a hostile alien invasion to wipe out humanity." I could see someone switching as just a sanity check.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    PMAvers wrote: Β»

But GODDAMN I think the Twitch chats for MTGO are up there with anything for "reasons I wish there was a hostile alien invasion to wipe out humanity." I could see someone switching as just a sanity check.
    I hear Hearthstone streams are worse.

Do those hostile aliens need quislings? I might want to consider a career change.

edited June 2016
    PMAvers wrote: Β»

Hex streams rarely peak over 30 viewers, but the few regular streamers there are seem to be super chill and they tend be pretty relaxing streams. And none of them seem to yet have super annoying subscriber bits that they have to break out every time someone subs.

Dark_Side on
    I'm talking a friend into playing Hex. He's a pretty competitive player, having come from Magic but recently on Hearthstone.

He has quite a number of questions regarding set blocks as he decides whether to buy vampire kings. Has Hex officially announced how sets and blocks rotate yet?

Ran into Uruunaz last night for the first time in probably 9 months. Then got shard screwed and couldn't draw into any of my copies of Enter the Dream despite digging with three Dream Eagles.

I'm actually glad it happened in the sense that it's JUST frustrating enough to tip me over the edge to take a break from farming PvE to play some X-Com and Stellaris.