As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hex: Shards of Fate] PvE TCG - FRA 2.0 is that guy who brings a netdeck to casual play

• gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Looks like we're getting some Settlers of Catan themed cards: http://imgur.com/a/vnIKd

gjaustin on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    @Incindium

You seem most likely to know. Have they announced how they plan to handle block rotation? My buddy wants to bump in but is trying to decide whether to invest in vamp kings or wait for them to rotate out.

What is this I don't even.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    @Incindium

You seem most likely to know. Have they announced how they plan to handle block rotation? My buddy wants to bump in but is trying to decide whether to invest in vamp kings or wait for them to rotate out.

It's all vague, but I think it's max of 8 sets, sets rotate out 4 at a time? So the friend would need to wait for 5 more sets to jump in.

Less than 15 months if they ever start hitting their goals, 3 years if the current pace continues.

He's not waiting to jump in, he's just deciding whether to buy vamp kings.

I thought it was going to be two blocks of three, but I guess it's currently two blocks of two with no known rotation out? You're the first I've heard say 8 is the number that rotates out four.

It seems like an important thing for them to have decided.

I thought it was going to be two blocks of three, but I guess it's currently two blocks of two with no known rotation out? You're the first I've heard say 8 is the number that rotates out four.

Considering we currently have a block of four, I think blocks of three are right out :)

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    gjaustin wrote: »

Considering we currently have a block of four, I think blocks of three are right out :)

I'm not sure if we have a block of four, or two blocks of two.

Thanks, Incindium.

I'm not sure if we have a block of four, or two blocks of two.

Thanks, Incindium.
    I was going based on the number on the PvE cards in the chests, but that might be Chapter number?

It's all very confusing and I really hate that they ditched the set symbols.

I think I more hate that they have apparently not announced (maybe decided) how they're going to rotate sets. That's core to competitive collection values.

Like, my buddy is going to buy in, but vamp kings ain't cheap, so it'd be good to be positive whether they still have X months in constructed.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I have, probably wrongly, just kind of assumed they aren't necessarily doing the same block rotation thing. Hearthstone only very recently introduced something like that. Given that Hex sets are somewhat slower at the moment, it seems unlikely there will be a rotation anytime soon. Plus, if they rotate out set 1, the hell am I supposed to do with all these set 1 cards? In magic I can play Modern or Commander or any of those variants with my older cards.

If they just say "No, you can't use Vampire Kings" anymore, my collection will be not only be worth way less, but I'll have a much lower incentive to keep playing honestly. I hate having to play the AH so I can enjoy a competitive game without spending huge amounts of money. I kickstarted this thing with the goal of having a collection I could build from and trade with to keep current, which so far, has worked really well!

Set rotation also splits the playerbase between the new sets and the old sets, which for a game of Hex's numbers, is probably a really bad idea.

edited June 2016
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I have, probably wrongly, just kind of assumed they aren't necessarily doing the same block rotation thing. Hearthstone only very recently introduced something like that. Given that Hex sets are somewhat slower at the moment, it seems unlikely there will be a rotation anytime soon. Plus, if they rotate out set 1, the hell am I supposed to do with all these set 1 cards? In magic I can play Modern or Commander or any of those variants with my older cards.

If they just say "No, you can't use Vampire Kings" anymore, my collection will be not only be worth way less, but I'll have a much lower incentive to keep playing honestly. I hate having to play the AH so I can enjoy a competitive game without spending huge amounts of money. I kickstarted this thing with the goal of having a collection I could build from and trade with to keep current, which so far, has worked really well!

Set rotation also splits the playerbase between the new sets and the old sets, which for a game of Hex's numbers, is probably a really bad idea.

I was, perhaps wrongly, assuming they were going to follow the same model as magic, considering how closely they adhered to other play formats. If they don't ever rotate blocks out, the competitive constructed meta will become untenable pretty quickly.

I just figure they'll introduce a legacy format at the same time, and PvE will always be everything.

So, I think there is a 0% chance they don't rotate out sets 1 and 2 within the next 24 months. I just want to know when and how.

Darkewolfe on

They've always billed this as a physical card game in digital form. I don't always agree with the results of that philosophy, but set rotation has been on the table from the very beginning.

You're also assuming they won't create a new format when they rotate sets.

Well, not anytime soon. I imagine when they announce rotation they'll announce some new format, but if not, that'd be bad.

I went digging and at one point they DID say that sets 1+2 and sets 3+4 was not the norm, and that it'd be three sets per in the future. But they may have changed their mind.

If they DIDN'T change their mind, 1+2 could potentially be rotating out as soon as set 5. Seems like something you'd really want to know.

I went digging and at one point they DID say that sets 1+2 and sets 3+4 was not the norm, and that it'd be three sets per in the future. But they may have changed their mind.

If they DIDN'T change their mind, 1+2 could potentially be rotating out as soon as set 5. Seems like something you'd really want to know.

That's where I got my four set blocks idea from. I got the impression they were rolling 1-4 together for rotation purposes to keep sets from going away too early.

Yeah. Unfortunately, they all make sense; it's up to crypto to clarify. I just know my buddy will never trust my word on anything if he buys a set of vamp kings and they rotate out 3-6 months from now, lol.

edited June 2016
    As far as I can tell, the last "OFFICIAL" statement was that chapter 3 will be set 5, 6, 7, and therefore the release of set 5 will phase out Sets 1 + 2.

People seem very confident that that is no longer the case, but there has never been an official statement otherwise.

Darkewolfe on
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    According to the hex forums, no constructed cards are going to have any value once ladder comes out because they are printing infinite free packs, and everyone will top the ladder in a couple of

They've always billed this as a physical card game in digital form. I don't always agree with the results of that philosophy, but set rotation has been on the table from the very beginning.

You're also assuming they won't create a new format when they rotate sets.

I don't know, they would need to have a lot larger player base to run more formats. They seem like they are nixing as many queues as possible to get people to play together.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

edited June 2016
    I've added the rewards list for Season 1 ladder to the OP.

Reaching Cosmic gets you:
    39000g
    7 Primal Dawn Boosters
    2 Arcane Focus AA
    2 Scorch AA
    Cosmic Dingler Sleeves

gjaustin on
    Welp, I clearly need to do a lot of ladder. Is it out yet or just on the test server?

Welp, I clearly need to do a lot of ladder. Is it out yet or just on the test server?

Just test. It's also worth pointing out that total is just for one ladder, so you can get double that.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I am having trouble wrapping my head around exactly how worthless gold is going to be.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

38thDoe wrote: »
    I am having trouble wrapping my head around exactly how worthless gold is going to be.
    Not at all? 78000g is a drop in the bucket.

It probably isn't even enough to spin the 14 chests you'd get from the packs.

For anyone here who managed to score a Pro-Player tier, the special tournament is scheduled for next month.

/jealous

38thDoe wrote: »
    Not at all? 78000g is a drop in the bucket.

It probably isn't even enough to spin the 14 chests you'd get from the packs.

I think this is 38th's thing.

I agree that 78k isn't much, buy I buy cards and use gold only for spinning. But for a totally free player trying to fund their collection with gold card buys, it's a lot of grinding.

edited June 2016
    There's been some minor updates to the collusion rules in preparation for the ladder. They're all blatantly obvious, but just in case:
    1. You can only offer a split in the final round of tournament.
      • The round before a Top X playoff is NOT the final round
      • If you split and the other guy doesn't send you the stuff? Too bad, deal with it.
    2. Offering compensation not included in the final prizes is not a split, it's a bribe. And a great way to get banned.
    3. Splitting a constructed ladder or sealed gauntlet game is better known as win-trading. Better hope Hex is in a good mode.
    4. Coordinating a draft with another player has an alternate name - cheating.
    5. If you have two accounts (Kickstarter backer with multiple tiers only) playing in the same tournament or ladder with both accounts simultaneously is banned SO HARD.
      • If you get paired against yourself, you're in even more trouble

gjaustin on
    I support the spirit of all those rules. The only problem is enforceability. An unenforceable or poorly enforced one is dumb.

Draft collusion, for example, is almost unenforceable. Better to think of ways to make the system prevent it somehow.

I support the spirit of all those rules. The only problem is enforceability. An unenforceable or poorly enforced one is dumb.

Draft collusion, for example, is almost unenforceable. Better to think of ways to make the system prevent it somehow.
    It's pretty much impossible to prevent without doing some BlizzardGestapo-style monitoring of your computer.

What I wish they'd ban is posting your Sealed Gauntlet Pool and asking for deck building advice.

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Where did those rule changes originate? Can you post a link?
    Playing in the same tournament or ladder in both accounts is banned

What does that mean play in the same ladder. You can't help but play in the limited ladder if you play limited. Does that mean I can't play the constructed ladder for two separate accounts even only playing one at a time?

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    edited June 2016
    Incindium wrote: »
    Where did those rule changes originate? Can you post a link?
    Playing in the same tournament or ladder in both accounts is banned

What does that mean play in the same ladder. You can't help but play in the limited ladder if you play limited. Does that mean I can't play the constructed ladder for two separate accounts even only playing one at a time?
    https://www.hextcg.com/tournament-integrity/

You can only be queued on one account at a time, but can play on either account. Added a word to my description to clarify.

gjaustin on
    The article about why they changed Black Tiger to Mystic Squirrel and it's as pointless as I predicted.

They thought Black Tiger was boring, so they changed it.

I just want my spectral acorn art sleeves back.

I just want my spectral acorn art sleeves back.
    You mean Lotus Garden?

edited June 2016
    Er, yeah. Spaced out and went with the new name.

I really liked the colors on the lotus garden sleeves. They were fairly unique. The new one is alright, but it's not as many of my favorite colors.

Darkewolfe on
    They heavily nerfed several campaign encounters looks like.

LADDER UPDATE – 07/05/16
    Patch v1.0.2.032
    NEW FEATURES
    Compete for glory and climb the ranks for prizes in the limited and constructed ladders
    Please go here for the complete details on the ladder
    Check out our brand new landing page!
    Pass Priority buttons have been updated to improve legibility and prevent accidental turn passing
    LANDING PAGE REDESIGN
    Complete redesign of the look and feel of the landing page
    Practice has been moved to the Card Collection next to Test Draw
    New question mark icon has been added for Help
    Here you can access the tutorial, forums, and disable hints
    Play Random Opponent has been added to the Tournament page and renamed to Unranked Constructed
    Icons for the Store, Auction House, and Stash have been moved from the right to the left side of the navigation bar
    The icon for mail has been moved to be with chat
    An option has been added to choose between using your system browser and the in game browser
    NEW TOURNAMENT SCENE
    The Ladder system is integrated into the tournament screen
    Standard tournaments include: Ranked Constructed, Unranked Constructed, Evolving Sealed Gauntlet, Sealed Gauntlet, and Competitive Draft
    Swiss Draft, Constructed Gauntlet, Head to Head, and Scheduled Dailies are no longer available
    Special tournaments are any formats specified by time or not listed above
    Completed tournaments will display the last 10 tournaments that have ended
    Icons with tooltips have been added to each tournament entry to denote its cost, number of packs used, and whether it will affect your ladder ranking
    A ladder information panel that shows the tiers and rewards has been added to the bottom of the tournament screen and can be opened by clicking on it
    “Play a Game” along with “Wins and Losses” for Gauntlets now display at the bottom of the deck builder
    BATTLE UI
    Coin flip notification dialog has been rewritten to be more clear and its visuals updated
    The Replace Hand dialog box has been updated
    All pass priority buttons have been made larger, font updated, and the flame border removed
    Text on pass priority buttons are now more explicit
    Button will state when you are passing on an opponent’s turn
    Button to resolve cards on the chain has been moved to appear next to the card and includes an arrow point to the exact card you are resolving
    Icons for attacking, skipping combat, and blocking are now attached to corresponding buttons to make the actions more clear
    Declare Attackers message includes minor hint text
    By default you cannot hit the spacebar to move through combat in order to prevent players from accidentally skipping the phase
    If you try to use the spacebar to skip your combat then a dialog box will appear asking if you would like to bind the space bar to that action in the future
    The button for skipping your combat has been made much smaller to avoid accidentally clicking through repetition
    Cancel button has been added for when you are making selections for actions
    Hitting escape while declaring blockers will now cancel the click instead of bringing up the concede menu
    In game messaging for offline opponents now displays correctly
    Hovering on a card in play that has been modified will now give a tool tip describing modification and how it was received
    GENERAL
    Inventory Stash pagination has been updated
    Equipment page for posting auctions has been improved
    Auction House button has been added to the Store screen
    “Cheapest Only” filter has been added to the Auction House
    Mail and Auction House filters are now updated to reflect Card Collection
    COD UI while composing mail has been improved
    Shaders behind finding player UI has been removed
    Unread mail is now highlighted while in your inbox
    The Confirm Purchase dialog when purchasing packs has been removed
    Instructions on the pack opening has been visually improved for legibility
    Escape now behaves as the back button when navigating the client, will still open the options menu while in a match or on the home screen
    “Standard art” filter has been added to Card Collection
    A warning prompt now appears if you attempt to save a deck without gemming your socketable troops
    Deck Validation now checks equipment
    Message will display when you could be playing an equipment for a card
    Message will display when you are playing an equipment but not the card
    Server Status messaging will now display if you attempt to login during downtime
    Items no longer refresh after opening or spinning a chest
    Using filters in Card Collection has been greatly sped up
    Added ability to choose a default sleeve in the sleeve selection interface
    Closing the Select Sleeve window is now done with the top right red X to be consistent with our pop-up windows
    Scrolling with the mouse wheel now works properly in the deck portion of the Card Collection
    Campaign Card Collection and Talent icons have been changed and moved off of your champion icon to the navigation bar
    Leaving the campaign ends on the Champion Selection scene instead of the landing page
    GAMEPLAY
    Improved the usability of drag and drop to play a card
    Text for Socketable Minor and Socketable Major no longer appear on the card when the socket is in use
    Modified cards now include a tooltip for the source of the modification
    In game messaging for “Shift” has been updated
    Arena challenges now display correctly
    Challenge reward buffs will now always trigger properly at the start of Arena boss battles
    The resource Arena challenge reward now works as intended
    Positioning of cards in opposing hands can no longer be tracked
    Choice prompts can now be hidden temporarily to evaluate board states by holding down left shift
    A warning now appears when 0 targets are selected for a power
    Troops no longer incorrectly remain highlighted after selecting to attack
    Previously played empower cards can no longer be seen by opponents when returned to your hand or deck
    X cost cards with “May play for free” now correctly allows to pay value for X
    Fixed a bug where damage prevention powers were preventing damage from the first troop selected by the attacker rather than the oldest troop in play
    Several encounters in Crayburn Castle have been scaled back in difficulty based on their win percentages:
    Whispering Breeze
    Scrap Welder
    Nerissa
    Buccaneer
    Gareth Kay
    Ridge Raider
    Rune Ear Elite
    Nori
    Ushuul
    Moqui
    Xilth
    Sora
    Several Champions in the first Adventure Zone have been modified:
    Chained Goliath‘s charge power now reads: “Pulling at the Chains – At the start of your turn, gain <1> and a charge. Then, the Goliath pulls at the chains, dealing 1 to 3 damage to itself.”
    Savage Lord’s charge power now reads: “Savage Summons – : [5] Put the next Dinosaur troop in your deck into play.
    Comet Strike modification has been removed from this encounter
    The Killipede’s passive power now reads: “Opposing troops in all zones have -1/0.”
    Fae Trickster’s charge power now reads: “Crazed Chicanery – : [2] Each opposing champion reveals a random card from their hand and transforms the revealed card into a random card of the same shards.”
    The Blood Sapphire Sister Midnight’s charge power now reads: “Consuming Madness – : [3] Bury the top card of target opposing champion’s deck. If you buried a resource this way, create a Spiderling and put it into play.
    Ambling Bluff‘s charge power now reads: “Fox on Some Rocks – : [4] Create a Fennec Fox and put it into play.”
    Sandstone Rumbler and the player no longer start the encounter with 5 charges
    The following decks in the first Adventure Zone have been scaled back in difficulty based on their win percentages:
    Sea Hag
    Mind Controlled Manti
    Sapphire Wild Sister Midnight
    Red Thunder
    Each Wormoid in the Eastern Desert
    CARDS AND EQUIPMENT
    Fixed a bug with Immortality game text, it has returned to “If you would lose the game this turn, your health becomes 10 instead.”
    Symeon’s Bounty now correctly randomizes its effects
    Prodigy of Volosolov no longer incorrectly has “Volosolov’s Resonance” in its game text
    Gemsoul Deathblade correctly gains flight when using its ability
    Flickering Gobbler no longer incorrectly behaves as an action if given Quick
    Circle of Preservation can now target cards on the chain
    Augur of Sirion now works correctly with Banes on top of your deck
    Rose Lion now reads: “At the start of your turn, this gets +1/+1. When this attacks or blocks, it loses these powers.”
    Oath of Valor now reads: “When this enters play, choose a name among troops you control. Each troop you control with the chosen name has +2/+2.”
    Cosmic Totem now reads: “, Void this Put target champion’s crypt into any target champion’s deck.”
    Inquisitor Thist correctly buries cards when it attacks
    Totem Crush Maul now properly modifies Empowered Mesa Totemist
    The White Heart now properly modifies Diamond Aura
    Deadeye Long Lancer now properly modifies Deadeye Enforcer
    Illuminated Disc now properly modifies Coins of Kismet
    Splintered Cudgel now properly modifies Splinterslam
    Blue Fanged Ring now properly modifies Azure Fang Hierarch
    Recruiter’s Ring now reads: “Your Underworld Recruiters have, When another Underworld troop enters play under your control, this gets +1/+1.”
    Ardent Chestplate now reads: “Your Ardent Recruiters have, “When another Ardent troop enters play under your control, this gets +1/+1.””
    Conflagrate now reads: “Add a burning counter to target champion. Deal 1 damage to each troop that champion controls for each burning counter on opposing champions.”
    Arcanobot now reads “This has +1/+1 in all zones for each action in your crypt.” and now has 0 and 0
    Technografters Boots now reads “Your Arcanobots have, “When this deals damage to an opposing champion, play target action in your crypt for free.””
    Kensei’s Curved Blade now reads “Your Soulblade Samurai have, “When this dies, void this. Then, put three random Shin’hare from your crypt into play.””

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

So, is ladder actually launched or is this a quality of life patch as they get ready?

I don't know the patch has an estimated 150 mins remaining at 2MB/s

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

So, is ladder actually launched or is this a quality of life patch as they get ready?
    Ladder is launched.

Spectral Oaks are in too.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    OMG that Killipede change. <3

Makes a big difference when 2/3rds the troops in your deck don't just die immediately upon being played.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Iolo wrote: »
    OMG that Killipede change. <3

Makes a big difference when 2/3rds the troops in your deck don't just die immediately upon being played.

Conceptually I liked it, since it meant you had to tweak your deck. But in practice having to pull out a bunch of troops was frustrating.