As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[E3] 2016: You're getting way too old for this.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I can't remember the last game that actually used the touch pad as a TOUCH PAD and not just a button to get into a main menu. And the light bar is a complete joke; the player can't even see it. And I have all the controller speaker options turned off and I certainly don't feel like I'm missing anything. So they really should have been able to make it work except for the fact they just wanted to sell more DS4s.

Games often use it as "slide this way for this menu, that way for a different menu," etc.

The lightbar is awesome and I'll hear nothing else. You can't see it if the lights in the room are on, but turn them off and some games have fun with it.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I can't remember the last game that actually used the touch pad as a TOUCH PAD and not just a button to get into a main menu. And the light bar is a complete joke; the player can't even see it. And I have all the controller speaker options turned off and I certainly don't feel like I'm missing anything. So they really should have been able to make it work except for the fact they just wanted to sell more DS4s.

Games often use it as "slide this way for this menu, that way for a different menu," etc.

The lightbar is awesome and I'll hear nothing else. You can't see it if the lights in the room are on, but turn them off and some games have fun with it.

My problem with the touch pad is that it doesn't seem responsive enough for regular use in a game. Don't know why, but it seems like a third of my swipes never register.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Some games do but they don't NEED to. Like Diablo 3; I just hammer the thing since it's so unresponsive anyway and then just L1 R1 to the menu I need.

Yeah, I do love the light bar tricks but they are 100% unnecessary and 99% missable. Plus, they only really impress you once and then you never see them again.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I can think of quite a few games that do just use the touchpad for a couple extra buttons. But then it also uses the option button. So that's an extra button over the PS3 controller.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »
    I can think of quite a few games that do just use the touchpad for a couple extra buttons. But then it also uses the option button. So that's an extra button over the PS3 controller.

Not really tho because the PS3 controller has two buttons there too. The DS4 just has that stupid Share button that can't be used for anything else that I hate so damn much whereas the DS3 had a Start and Options.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    There are a few games I can think of, mostly open world, that let you use the touchpad to move around in the map view. And then The Witcher registers an up swipe as "Go to Map" versus clicking the touchpad for "Go to Menu"

But yes, most games don't use it in a novel way.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I can clearly see the light bar.

Reflected in my TV.

Otherwise yeah, how did something like this get out of R&D? All the "neat" shit it does is meaningless when the normal way you hold a controller makes it invisible.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    There are a few games I can think of, mostly open world, that let you use the touchpad to move around in the map view. And then The Witcher registers an up swipe as "Go to Map" versus clicking the touchpad for "Go to Menu"

But yes, most games don't use it in a novel way.

And a long press takes you straight to inventory. So they basically got 3 functions out of a single button, which wouldn't be possible if it were just mapped to select. A minor, but useful thing, for sure.

Plus, even if they mapped the touchpad press to select, there wouldn't be a button left for Share. I know not everyone uses it, but it's a big deal for a lot of people.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »

Not really tho because the PS3 controller has two buttons there too. The DS4 just has that stupid Share button that can't be used for anything else that I hate so damn much whereas the DS3 had a Start and Options.
    No, I mean the touchpad is used for 2 buttons, basically start and select, and then ALSO uses the "options" button on the DS4. So it is an extra button.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    The Share button is fucking awesome. It took me a while just to remember it was there but now that I'm used to it, playing games on other platforms (Steam excluded) is actually kinda annoying now because I love being able to simply press a button and boom, screenshot taken.

As for the touch pad, as always, some games use it well and others don't. Witcher 3's use of it was pretty good, giving you shortcuts to the map (swipe) or inventory (hold down).

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    The Share button is fucking awesome. It took me a while just to remember it was there but now that I'm used to it, playing games on other platforms (Steam excluded) is actually kinda annoying now because I love being able to simply press a button and boom, screenshot taken.

As for the touch pad, as always, some games use it well and others don't. Witcher 3's use of it was pretty good, giving you shortcuts to the map (swipe) or inventory (hold down).

I wish I could screenshot my 3DS that easily, though Wii U is simple enough.

And of course lol shadowplay for my computer.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I can clearly see the light bar.

Reflected in my TV.

Otherwise yeah, how did something like this get out of R&D? All the "neat" shit it does is meaningless when the normal way you hold a controller makes it invisible.

It's needed for the camera

The camera that's about to become necessary to their VR plans in October

It was actually super forward-thinking on their part

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Xbox one controller has infrared LEDs in it that indicate to the system where the controller is for kinect nonsense.

They also aren't fuckoff huge and reflect off my TV and kill the battery on the controller in 5 hours. Haven't used a DS4 on my PS4 for about a year so maybe they've added it, but it's super surprising you couldn't turn that thing off.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Nah, you can dim it

I wonder what the difference between TVs is regarding the lightbar reflecting off of screens, though

That's never once happened to me

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Nah, you can dim it

I wonder what the difference between TVs is regarding the lightbar reflecting off of screens, though

There's no dim enough setting where it doesn't reflect off the TV when I have the lights off. And I shouldn't decide on how dark my room should be based on my controller.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Plasma vs. LCD screens, maybe? Plasma screens have glass panes which reflect like crazy, which is why LCDs are considered better when sunlight is hitting the TV.

• Options
    Well I have a plasma TV, which means the screen is glass, and therefore a mirror. It's fine when it's a bright screen. Not so much when it's dark.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

The DS4 has a speaker? I've never heard mine make a sound. Do any games use it?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

In Transistor, the titular sword talks through it. In Second Son, it makes a spray paint can noise when you... use it as a spray can.

• Options

Off the top of my head, Infamous: Second Son, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, Grand Theft Auto V, I think Dragon Quest Heroes as well?

It's never anything major but I appreciate it in the right circumstances

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    After a few days with Ingress I sure do hope Pokemon Go is using nothing from them but the map data.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    After a few days with Ingress I sure do hope Pokemon Go is using nothing from them but the map data.

my understanding is it's pretty much pokemon skinned ingress

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular

Off the top of my head, Infamous: Second Son, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, Grand Theft Auto V, I think Dragon Quest Heroes as well?

Resogun had the alerts voiced through the controller instead of the TV... first time I remember it being done in my memory.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Wonder what the excuse will be to make you pay again on the NX.

Again, I haven't paid a dime.

Of course the excuses the other consoles use for reselling you stuff you already paid for is that they had to make a clean break from the last console. On the Wii U it is literally free and physically on your current console...in addition to being able to use the same disc-based games and controllers from the last console too.

I haven't either, but I don't have my games because of Nintendo not having a universal account and me not having the Wii which I had at least $100 worth of BC games on when I got the Wii U.

Right, so either way, get rid of your 360 and you can't play any of that content on the One (unless you buy a new 360 and keep the old thing kickin' around), and get rid of your Wii and you can't play any of that content on the Wii U (unless you transferred it when you got the Wii U, and you don't need old hardware for the disc-based games). Ups and downs for any given platform.

No, I can play plenty of my 360 stuff on the xbone just fine.

And plenty of your Wii games on the Wii U just fine. They're just flip-flopped - you can play some digital stuff on XBone and you can play all physical stuff on Wii U. For those of us who actually transferred the data, we can play everything on Wii U, which is the ideal situation that no other platform matched. And sure, that could change in the next transition.

You can play digital or physical on the Xbox one. Basically it's the best of both worlds.a and of they keep adding new games, which they do for free and weekly, then it'll end up having better compatibility in the long run.

Backwards compatibility for Lost Odyssey is on the way - I may need to replay it when it does, as I never 100% the achievements on the 360...

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular

Rocket league used it. They added it in with the first or second patch then quickly made it optional when people complained about how obnoxiously loud the sound was.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »

Rocket league used it. They added it in with the first or second patch then quickly made it optional when people complained about how obnoxiously loud the sound was.

MGSV used it for all the iDroid audio. It was pretty cool, and something I wish the PC version could do...

• Options
    Weird. The only game I can straight up remember using the touch pad as an actual thing you can swipe left and right was Infamous. Oh and Binding of Isaac to see the big map. Every other game I've ever played just used the thing as one singular giant button. If any of them had hidden swipe shortcuts, I never knew about them.

• Options
    I was just playing Trials Fusion earlier

That's a game where the left side of the touch pad is retry, right side is pause

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Warframe does swipe inputs for some special moves, iirc.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Final Fantasy XIV uses it as a mouse. It's not too shabby at doing so.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

Dark Souls likes to pump the occasional creepy sound through the controller.

• Options
    PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    Ask this talk of how the DS4 speaker works reminded me: I thought it was pretty awesome when No More Hero's phone calls would come out the wii remote speaker, so you could hold it like a phone and listen in.

Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • Options
    I love being able to simply press a button and boom, screenshot taken.

How do you get it to do that? I have to hit share, hit triangle, select save and a few ore steps to take a screenshot.

Again, Witcher 3 and Diablo and others may do that but it rarely works for me; not sure why. I just hit whatever gets me into the menu then page to what I need.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »

my understanding is it's pretty much pokemon skinned ingress

Yes and yes. Right now I've got no hopes for it, because while innovative and fascinating, Ingress was miserably boring to play after the first week. I love the concept and I loved the extra exploring off neighborhoods I did as a result, but the "game" suuuucks and we're just giving them loads of free consumer data.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Nah, you can dim it

It depends on how you're sitting and holding the controller.

I notice it sometimes and have to re-position myself so the controller isn't directly facing the screen.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I'm surprised Sony hasn't put out a version without the lightbar for $5 or $10 less than the normal controller yet.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    A roll of electrical tape is a lot cheaper than 5 or 10 bucks.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I don't think Sony wants multiple controller skus that all work or don't work with different hardware

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    You can disable the lightbar non-permanently if you get a y#00 screwdriver and remove the bottom of the controller.

https://ifixit.com/Guide/DualShock+4+Battery+Replacement/22074

Get to step 4, and remove the ribbon cable. Reassemble, done. Though to be fair I don't know if the controller will be happy without the cable, I reassembled it wrong once and put one end of the ribbon in backwards and everything worked minus the light bar so I assume you can just remove it entirely.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I love being able to simply press a button and boom, screenshot taken.

How do you get it to do that? I have to hit share, hit triangle, select save and a few ore steps to take a screenshot.

Again, Witcher 3 and Diablo and others may do that but it rarely works for me; not sure why. I just hit whatever gets me into the menu then page to what I need.

You can adjust the settings for the share button to make it screenshot in a simple tap. Here's how (courtesy of Kotaku):
    First, you’ll want hit the Share button. Then press your Options button on your PS4 controller, and select “Share Settings.” From here, you’ll be able to tell your PS4 how to handle Share button presses. You can, for example, make it so a short Share button press quickly takes a screenshot, instead of taking you to the Share menu. Up to you!

(there are 9 other things you may or may not know about PS4 system software in the article: http://kotaku.com/10-ps4-features-you-probably-dont-know-about-1695326574 )

nusu on