Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

And in the [13th Age] there arose powerful Icons

15678911»

• ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    edited August 16
    Mikey CTS wrote: »
    So I'm working on creating my own setting, with new Icons and everything. I want to include the Shifter race from 4e, however I'm having difficult thinking of anything fun and dramatic to do with their powers. I was hoping for suggestions!

Here's some suggestions from Vault of the 13th Age:
    Longtooth Shifters
    Racial bonus: +2 Strength OR +2 Wisdom

Longtooth Shifting (Racial Power): Once per battle, while staggered, you can spend a recovery without healing as a quick action. Instead, heal hit points equal to one recovery die + Constitution modifier at the end of each turn until the end of battle (5th level: double the amount; 8th level: triple).

Adventurer feat: Also reroll natural 1 on damage rolls.

Champion feat: You gain a bonus recovery.
    Razorclaw Shifters
    Racial bonus: +2 Dexterity OR +2 Wisdom

Razorclaw Shifting (Racial Power): Once per battle, as a quick action while staggered, grant yourself a +1 bonus to AC and PD until the end of the battle.

Adventurer feat: Also gain a +2 bonus to disengage checks.

Champion feat: You gain a +1 bonus to disengage checks while not staggered.

Tox on
    Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    New owner of the core book here. I liked it a lot, I have 13 true ways on order.

Is it just me or are humans and wood elves the clear winners in terms of racial abilities? Humans get a straight up bonus feat on top of a really good racial, as well as more stat flexibility. Meanwhile Wood Elves have a decent shot at a whole extra action, which is quite nice. Compared to stuff like Half-orcs and Dwarves, they seem overwpowered.

captaink wrote: »
    New owner of the core book here. I liked it a lot, I have 13 true ways on order.

Is it just me or are humans and wood elves the clear winners in terms of racial abilities? Humans get a straight up bonus feat on top of a really good racial, as well as more stat flexibility. Meanwhile Wood Elves have a decent shot at a whole extra action, which is quite nice. Compared to stuff like Half-orcs and Dwarves, they seem overwpowered.

It's less significant than you think. That extra feat is ... nice? But honestly feats are a lot more toned down for the most part compared to D&D.

Wood Elves do have a very good racial power, but surprisingly it's rather well balanced.

• ArdentArdent Registered User regular
    You might be surprised how good the other racial abilities are, honestly.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
    I honestly find the racial powers to generally be little more than a nice little bonus flavor that helps inform the character. Most of them don't seem particularly uber or signature enough for any build to need any particular racial power

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Hey GMs (and players), what are some ways you have actually used 5s and 6s in relationship rolls? The book is heavy on advice, but light on examples of how to actually use them in a story.

• MsAnthropyMsAnthropy Our Lady of Perpetual Mazes The CageRegistered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Hey GMs (and players), what are some ways you have actually used 5s and 6s in relationship rolls? The book is heavy on advice, but light on examples of how to actually use them in a story.

While I love 13th Age in general, I never used the icon rules as written. I usually asked for rolls before starting a new story arc, which I would use to flag which icons were involved. Otherwise, I’d use alternate rules for icon tokens (http://slyflourish.com/icon_rolls.html) on a per session/adventure basis and let the players figure out what the effects and costs were.

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
    captainkElvenshaeCantide
  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    Speaking of Icons, writing my own setting I've found new uses for them. Probably the biggest one is world building. Identifying the powers in your world that are competing really helps flesh out a world. It makes it easy to figure out the central conflicts in your world. Once you identify who the heavy hitters in your world are, everything begins to flow together surprisingly organically. Even if I end up running a game that doesn't use the Icon rules, Icons as a world building tool is incredibly useful. It's something I will always use for now on, at least in the background.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
    ToxElvenshae
  • astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited September 28
    I've kind of merged runes from Glorantha and Icons in my Dynasty Warriors themed setting.

Runes are almost entirely mechanical in how I use the 5's and 6's. While Mentors/Adversaries use the rolls for social and story encounters as well as access to temporary magic items.

The GM guide that comes with the screen has really good advice for using Icon rolls as well.

astrobstrd on
15678911»