As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fighting Games Part 423: Now is the winter of our discount Xrd

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    I don't have the US version so I'm not sure exactly how it works on there, but Kum and Raven are the console exclusive characters. I think you can unlock them for free with DLC until 6/21, or just use the in game currency to unlock them in the gallery.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    Raven is the only char unlockable with ingame funbuxx, Kum and Dizzy are straight up DLC

Right now you can unlock Raven and Kum for free on psn

I'm pretty sure the free unlocks expire on 6/21

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Cinematic Story: “A Shadow Falls”

The SFV Story Expansion is a 3~4 hour experience titled “A Shadow Falls” and will be released at the end of this month as free DLC to all SFV players. The 5 chapter story takes place between Street Fighter IV and Street Fighter III and bridges the events that happen in between the two stories. This is the first time in franchise history that fans will be able to play through this type of cinematic experience in a Street Fighter game.

The Street Fighter V Cinematic Story Expansion, “A Shadow Falls,” depicts the ultimate battle between the evil Shadaloo organization and the heroic World Warriors who rise up against them. Seven “Black Moons” are deployed by Shadaloo, granting M. Bison unimaginable power and enveloping the earth in total darkness. Seeing the moons mysteriously appear in the sky, Ryu, Ken, and Chun-Li embark on an epic journey around the world to retrieve fragment pieces that are the key to stopping the “Black Moons” before it’s too late. Along the way, they encounter the rest of the World Warriors, each of whom have their own agendas and motivations in mind. The final battle between good and evil begins now… who will RISE UP?

The next related piece of awesome news: all six DLC characters are fully playable in the story mode. That’s right, in addition to Alex, Guile, and Ibuki, that means that Balrog, Urien, and Juri are also playable! The official release of these characters will not be until later in the year, which means everyone will get to play them in advance through this mode. For the DLC characters that haven’t been released at the time the story comes out, those characters shouldn’t be considered final or tournament ready, as they still need to be properly polished and balanced. So, think of this as a free preview of the characters and enjoy playing with them before they get officially released in the other competitive game modes.

Finally, you’ll be able to earn Fight Money from completing the story mode as well! A higher difficulty becomes unlocked after clearing the normal mode, which you can also earn extra Fight Money from:

Normal Mode= 30,000 FM

Extra Mode*= 50,000 FM

TOTAL= 80,000 FM

*Extra Mode (higher difficulty) unlocks after you complete Normal mode

In-Game Currency System Changes

We have an important announcement regarding the in-game currency system. We will no longer be introducing Zenny to Street Fighter V as a real money currency option. After extensive testing and development, we came to the conclusion that it was not necessary in order to carry out our original vision for the product. Instead, we will be utilizing the PlayStation Store and Steam stores to carry out real money transactions.

Our plan for the in-game economy of SFV was always to provide players with choice. Fight Money remains as the basic currency that players can earn for FREE through gameplay and utilize to purchase characters and other awesome downloadable content like stages and costumes. For players who want to just purchase the content outright, instead of introducing Zenny, the process will be much more familiar with purchases happening through the established first party infrastructures.

The in-game store will be upgraded with the PlayStation Store and Steam real money purchase options as part of the update in late June. At the same time, the free trial period for Alex and Guile will come to an end as we previously had stated. Players will need to either obtain the characters through Fight Money, real money, or the season pass to continue using them after the update. We hope that everyone has enjoyed throwing down with these fearsome fighters and feels inclined to pick them up after testing them out during the free trial period!

We know fans have also been wondering about how content will be priced, so we created this handy chart which breaks down the content in Fight Money and real money pricing:

CkhKT4rUkAEDgik.jpg

Additional Content in June Update

The premium Battle Costumes for every character released so far will go on sale this month, and will be available for purchase with real currency only. Now everyone will have access to this hunk of a man: [Hot Ryu.]

Story mode costumes will also be available for purchase this month, meaning you will no longer need to complete the Character Stories to gain access to the content. Story mode costumes can be purchased with either Fight Money or real currency. We’ll be breaking down all of the costumes coming with the June update in another blog this month. There may be even more surprises in store, so stayed tuned!

Future Content

Daily Challenges are currently being re-tooled and optimized for the game, and we will share the new timing of this feature as soon as we more details. The feature will now be called “Targets,” and they will still be daily goals for players to complete and generate Fight Money, which can be used to purchase in-game content like new characters and costumes. New single player modes including Extra Battle and Versus CPU are also in the works. We’ll share more details on these modes and features as soon as we can.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/harrisony/blog/2016/06/09/sfv-cinematic-story-and-additional-june-updates

6F32U1X.png
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    As in the prologue, fights [in Story Mode] are a single round, which, at normal difficulty, could be over in seconds. Literal seconds. The story bookends to these fights can last minutes. For all but the most beginner Street Fighter players, you're going to spend 10-20 times more time watching Street Fighter 5's story mode than you will playing it.

When I was playing it, I often found myself confused about who I was supposed to be playing as — the point of view in each cutscene before the fight proved to be little indication of who the fight would belong to. I often wasn't sure what side of the ring I was on until after I got kicked in the face.

While the Capcom representative in attendance told me that I had played the first 90 minutes or so, it felt much shorter, so your time investment in the story mode will likely vary wildly based on your skill level. And your enjoyment of it will depend highly on how much you want to watch the Street Fighter cast interact — including a few unreleased characters, some of whom you can even briefly play as in story mode.
    http://www.polygon.com/2016/6/9/11889950/street-fighter-5-cinematic-story-mode-ibuki

6F32U1X.png
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    so you get to play as balrog/juri/urien, but only for a few seconds against braindead AI

does it seems like nobody working on SFV has actually launched a game before? like it's a bunch of interns who were given control of the project and nobody actually knows what's supposed to be happening going forward

9kJvS8A.jpg

rog looks like rog

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Capcom is one long aristocrats joke

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Man I just don't have a whole lot of energy left for SFV. Its too bad that it's the system that I personally respond the best to.

I need to put more time in KI and GG, at least I have fun with those most of the time

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    The premium Battle Costumes for every character released so far will go on sale this month, and will be available for purchase with real currency only. Now everyone will have access to this hunk of a man: [Hot Ryu.]

I'm back in on sfv

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Cinematic Story: “A Shadow Falls”

In-Game Currency System Changes

The vendor we hired to do all our online stuff are huge dumbasses so we fired them.

this is what i see.

edited June 2016
    I am very into Juri with an eyepatch giving me the thumbs down over the shoulder.

Also 80s lounge lizard Urien.

Radius on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    And here I had assumed that only the already released DLC characters might appear in the story.

Also, why the hell did it take Capcom this long to decide that you buy stuff directly instead of with a premium currency?

edited June 2016
    Farangu wrote: »
    Man I just don't have a whole lot of energy left for SFV. Its too bad that it's the system that I personally respond the best to.

I need to put more time in KI and GG, at least I have fun with those most of the time

i downloaded KI for the first time ever yesterday... i think im going to do SFV locals for a little while longer to see if I can grow, but I am so done with online unless one of you guys wants to practice

oh yeah and I dont have to work tonight so if anyone wants to crush my face in, i'm finally free

Jasconius on
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    If that's Urien's look then I'm looking forward to suave CRUSHes and dapper DESTROYs

Peewi wrote: »
    And here I had assumed that only the already released DLC characters might appear in the story.

Also, why the hell did it take Capcom this long to decide that you buy stuff directly instead of with a premium currency?

this is a guess, but if they sold stuff through their own zeny store, they might have gotten a better margin than selling DLC through the steam/ps store

but it looks like the zeny store was not ready for prime time

It is a shame, because I really like saying Zenny.

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    I have 0 LP

halp

Brolo wrote: »

this is a guess, but if they sold stuff through their own zeny store, they might have gotten a better margin than selling DLC through the steam/ps store

not a guess, a fact. Steam charges at least 10%. I don't know what PSN charges but I'm guessing similar.

For the Zenny to have been promised prior to release and then aborted must have meant it was a complete disaster.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

Presumably you'd have to buy zenny through Steam/PSN in the first place. I don't see why that would have different revenue share than buying individual items through Steam/PSN.

i think they wanted Zenny because Zenny would have made it substantially easier to do tournament setups

edited June 2016
    Jasconius wrote: »

i downloaded KI for the first time ever yesterday... i think im going to do SFV locals for a little while longer to see if I can grow, but I am so done with online unless one of you guys wants to practice

oh yeah and I dont have to work tonight so if anyone wants to crush my face in, i'm finally free

I will make time. You want KI or Revelator?

Edit: perfect example of my SF apathy - there's going to be a local tournament on Fathers day which was just confirmed to take the top two to NA regionals, and my thoughts are...I'd rather play golf and drink with my dad

Farangu on

I will make time. You want KI or Revelator?

I think I can probably get decent at KI faster than Revelator so lets try that. There are still some basic things in Revelator I need to work out before I'm not a joke.

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    More people should play KI.

More.

My post Combo Breaker fighting game fatigue is almost gone. Hopefully my lame Gamestop has my copy of GG tomorrow. Finally.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    so you get to play as balrog/juri/urien, but only for a few seconds against braindead AI

does it seems like nobody working on SFV has actually launched a game before? like it's a bunch of interns who were given control of the project and nobody actually knows what's supposed to be happening going forward

Are they seriously not going to do free weeks with new characters as they come out

And did that announcement say anything about making color unlocking less stupid

2x39jD4.jpg
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah...no 3f jab and no headbutt...

Have to see it in action.

• THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Still a charge character, too.

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
    also... a fairly technical preview about Rog's moveset and frame data on ventue beat...?

@Jasconius I'll probably be free around 8:45-9 or so

• EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    Anyone around for SFV?

iG3kv1d.png
    @Jasconius I'll probably be free around 8:45-9 or so

hit me on steam, im doing casuals right now

KI is really fun and I can see myself playing that online for a long time without getting bored.

KI is really fun and I can see myself playing that online for a long time without getting bored.

KI is such a blast

I haven't been playing many fighters lately, but whenever I do, it's KI

oh right I guess I could play KI if I update to win10

maybe I'll do that since sfv suddenly decided to run like crap on my pc

edited June 2016
    Kilroy wrote: »

FWIW, I upgraded just for KI expecting to regret it, but it's been nothing more or less than Win7 with a better UI

A few games even run better, but nothing has been worse as a result

THESPOOKY on
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    Kilroy wrote: »

FWIW, I upgraded just for KI expecting to regret it, but it's been nothing more or less than Win7 with a better UI

A few games even run better, but nothing has been worse as a result

yeah I mucked around with my buddy's computer that was running win10 today and it seemed fine

I just want to put a backup for all my files onto a portable hard drive before I update and I've been really lazy about doing that

• jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    Man people are shitting on the new KoF for its graphics, but some of those SFV story mode screenshots look just as bad.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
    jaziek wrote: »
    Man people are shitting on the new KoF for its graphics, but some of those SFV story mode screenshots look just as bad.

SFV looks better in motion than it does in stills

KoFXIV looks bad one way or another

Delayed GGs @Jasconius. You had one or two full combos by the end there, which is faster than I picked up the basics if you downloaded this all of two days ago

• blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    Hmm, I'm starting to only catch actual fish while fishing in Guilty Gear.

This discussion has been closed.