Options

Fighting Games Part 423: Now is the winter of our discount Xrd

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    I yield!

And I should really play more than once every few months.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »
    I am actually pretty surprised they are showing off a new character so soon

Is akuma still considered a part of season 1? is he the start of season 2? Are they just going to be pushing new characters out constantly?

p. sure that's season 2.

• Options
    I yield!

And I should really play more than once every few months.

GGs. Zangief was coming up next :D

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    DeMoN wrote: »
    I am actually pretty surprised they are showing off a new character so soon

Is akuma still considered a part of season 1? is he the start of season 2? Are they just going to be pushing new characters out constantly?

p. sure that's season 2.

yeah december will mark the first capcup for SFV, and the end of the premier season

season 2 will probably drop january/february

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator Mod Emeritus
    Ggs frawrwrwrwrst

That was mostly playable at times

• Options
    EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    SFV anyone?

iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    Man, Guile vs Ryu keeps looking impossible. Even the match Tokido won earlier in the tournament didn't actually look like he won

And after seeing Daigo and Kuroda going 0-5 and 0-3 vs the unknown (but highly ranked) Guile during beast tv I'd be really curious to see what possible tech they can find during the next lab day

Daigo saying he felt like Zangief when playing Ryu against Guile is pretty funny

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    Daigo also lost to Nuckle's guile last week at Canada Cup and I know he barely beat ISDD at EU Regional Finals and was really surprised at Guile's strength.

Also, just wanna say, I called Guile being highmid/top tier back when he first came out. There were people here who said he was bad and, WELP.

iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    yeah i dunno the second I saw some of the more complicated shit he could do I remember thinking "guile seems insane if you're an execution monster"

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Honestly his execution isn't even that hard, it's more getting into a position (screen+resources) where you can actually start the loops. But even without the loops, it's like, his tools are fucking amazing. Vskill to let you hold down charge to antiair on a jumpin OR cancel into a 2hit fireball that you can then follow for a free mixup, great buttons and many footsie options, good damage, decent walkspeed, good corner carry (great, if you use the midscreen vtrig combo). Like this is a character that is actually nuts.

iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    Euphemon wrote: »
    Daigo also lost to Nuckle's guile last week at Canada Cup and I know he barely beat ISDD at EU Regional Finals and was really surprised at Guile's strength.

Also, just wanna say, I called Guile being highmid/top tier back when he first came out. There were people here who said he was bad and, WELP.

Yeah Daigo said that after almost losing to Ryan Harts secondary Guile he knew that eventually he would lose to that character and Du was the confirmation that he needs to figure something out

Anyway Guile does super well vs Ryu but I think he suffers vs Chun and isn't all that vs some other tops so I can't go too hard on the character hype train. I never thought he was weak, though, that's for sure. I never bought into Alex being very strong in the long run so Guile was the only DLC char I felt was noteworthy for some time. Now it's him and Urien. Balrog is almost there but then I see him fight someone like Karin and fucking yikes

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Yeah nuckledu covers Guile's bad matchups well between mika/nash. And, between these three characters, he can play in pretty much every playstyle. Hsien Chang makes the case (which I agree with) that Nuckle is actually the best player in the world right now, with his back to back tournament wins over Xiaohai and Tokido. When was the last time you could make a strong argument an American SF player was the best in the world?

I think Alex is pretty good tbh. He's a grappler so of course he's not THAT good but he's def decent. There are a bunch of Alexs doing ok in every big tournament these days. I feel like his oki is just too weak. I get why, because he does SO MUCH damage/stun, but he just relies too heavily on reads and he has no reversal so he can't take pressure himself.

Also, this might be the optimal CC punish for Urien. That's hype af:

Practiced this a bit. It's not as bad as it sounds but yeah, it's not easy. The hard part is the slight delay on the tackle. I don't think late canceling st.hp into ex fb helps. If you want max damage with super then the old 5[HP] microstep 5[HP] latecancel MP HB, cr.lp xx mk tackle xx super is still the most damage off of a CC I think. And that one is easier, bigger leeway in terms of spacing.

Euphemon on
    iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Akuma is the Extremely Correct 1st character for season 2. I am excited.

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Have we seen du vs infiltration since NCR?

• Options
    I think the current player power level appearance isn't that telling for Capcom Cup.

Outside of the sheer practice that will be put in by these players, I also feel like many of them have been holding back. Not necessarily straight up sandbagging, but experimenting before The Real Deal and such. There are also a few who have been talking about secretly practicing other characters, so we might see some Xian Dhalsim style shake ups

Or perhaps that's all just wishful thinking on my part! I'm certainly hoping to be pleasantly surprised by the level of play

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Wimble wrote: »
    I think the current player power level appearance isn't that telling for Capcom Cup.

Outside of the sheer practice that will be put in by these players, I also feel like many of them have been holding back. Not necessarily straight up sandbagging, but experimenting before The Real Deal and such. There are also a few who have been talking about secretly practicing other characters, so we might see some Xian Dhalsim style shake ups

Or perhaps that's all just wishful thinking on my part! I'm certainly hoping to be pleasantly surprised by the level of play

A few players have said something about experimenting because they already secured a spot in capcup. It reminds me of the way sumo wrestlers mysteriously lose bouts that they "should" win, when their opponents need it more.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    announcers were declaring Xiaohai (sp?) the best in the world over Infiltration before he got waxed by Du, I don't see a reason not to give Du the title for now

he didn't just beat Xiaohai, he annihilated him. and his win over Tokido was pretty authoritative

but my hero of that tournament was RB, the walking talking combo video

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Knob wrote: »
    Ggs frawrwrwrwrst

ggs

yeah looks like connection had some hitches but mostly went well

angel mixups are real

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    oh my holy jesus, I just saw this clip

you're a disgusting man, Du

• Options
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    Ggs frawrwrwrwrst

ggs

angel mixups are real

Ralf CD and damage is real

I felt okay once I got inside, but holy shit getting inside was harrowing

• Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    anyone wanna play?
    Ggs frawrwrwrwrst

ggs

angel mixups are real

Kof tonight?

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    edited November 2016

Holy shit did that jump at the end looked like a crossup... until it wasn't.

RawrBear on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Timing his jump-in with the fireball pushback was pretty nice.

And I'll admit Guile looks a lot better than I initially gave him credit for.

Seems like every DLC char except Ibuki and Juri have managed to put in a little work.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    there was a Juri at Canada Cup who was shellacking people, I don't remember his name, but it was super good

Ibuki has to play for resets so hard, but it just doesn't seem like she gets paid for it the way that someone like Laura can

• Options
    anyone wanna play?
    Ggs frawrwrwrwrst

ggs

angel mixups are real

Kof tonight?

Yes plz

• Options
    anyone wanna play?
    Ggs frawrwrwrwrst

ggs

angel mixups are real

Kof tonight?

Yes plz

ill be home around 8:30 ish EST, and work late tomorrow so im down

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Hsien Chang's Juri had probably done more work than any Alex has, and at least as much as PR Rog's Balrog.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    Juri finally had a brief moment in a tournament, yes, but it was very clear that many people were unfamiliar on how to really play against her. To be honest, Juri is just an awful character in SFV with some baffling design decisions. I'm holding out hope for some serious buffs for her and the other weaker DLC characters that were released in particular.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular

The best part is Chris T's look after that. "Yep, that happened...get to hold that L for a bit".

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    SFV Guile's got explosive offensive potential that he has never really had in any mainline SF game, together with a still decent zoning game. There are some things about him that can be awkward, but that's Guile for you. His V-Trigger is super strong and lets him pretend to be a Rainbow Edition character at times, and having an invincible meterless reversal is always better than not having one.

Chun Li is probably not a match in his favour, but then again I can't think of m/any characters that it is. Guile having the boom wall against Urien having the Aegis in the same game is just conceptually cool to me.

Guile having incredibly strong combos against cornered opponents even without many resources is interesting.

Guile and Urien's V-Triggers also just make some of the release character V-Triggers look sad. Laura's V-Trigger does allow for some neat tricks, but next to machine gun booms? Nah.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    his flash kick is not fully invincible without meter, but other than that yeah

especially the v-trigger stuff. v-triggers are all over the map in this game

Jasconius on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I mean machine gun booms is nice, but Super Sayan Necalli yo.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options

I'm willing to have some less powerful v triggers to balance out characters with natural comeback potential. But at least make them awesome to look at, like dragon install.

Laura's is just some extra sparkles, and to this day I still have no idea what it does.

• Options
    templewulf wrote: »

I'm willing to have some less powerful v triggers to balance out characters with natural comeback potential. But at least make them awesome to look at, like dragon install.

Laura's is just some extra sparkles, and to this day I still have no idea what it does.

it makes her command dash (vskill dash) go farther, and it changes some properties on her thunderball that i guess unlocks some more combo potential

i dont blame you for not knowing, I had to look it up myself. if I find myself CC'ed by a laura with v-trigger its usually time to put down the controller anyway

• Options
    Well that was great while it lasted

I ate soo many maxima climaxes

Can you guess who I've spent 90% of my lab time on

• Options
    the angel high lows rekkas are crazy

godbless maxima command throw xx raw neomax

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Laura's V-Trigger actually
    templewulf wrote: »

it makes her command dash (vskill dash) go farther, and it changes some properties on her thunderball that i guess unlocks some more combo potential

i dont blame you for not knowing, I had to look it up myself. if I find myself CC'ed by a laura with v-trigger its usually time to put down the controller anyway

It also increases her damage and stun.

Laura's V-Trigger is actually one of the better ones.

The problem is given her vortex-y nature if you're playing well you probably didn't need it.

I would actually like if they weakened her V-Trigger a bit but made her better outside of it.

• Options
    the only regular local tournament in Tampa is on Tuesdays which is raid night :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

there used to be a big saturday monthly but they stopped for some reason even though it was always 50-70 people

i am dying for offline street fighter and there's just slim pickins around here unless i want to drive way way way out

• Options
    the only regular local tournament in Tampa is on Tuesdays which is raid night :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

there used to be a big saturday monthly but they stopped for some reason even though it was always 50-70 people

i am dying for offline street fighter and there's just slim pickins around here unless i want to drive way way way out

Are there really no other weeklies, even just casuals?

The alternative is to set up the event yourself. That's what I did!

This discussion has been closed.