Options

Fighting Games Part 423: Now is the winter of our discount Xrd

• Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    Would anybody be interested in playing some guilty gear later today?

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Anybody know a good PCB to put on a PS4 TE2 to make it Xbone compatible? Or should I just start practicing KI on pad

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    ill be home at 12:45 AM EST tonight @Knob @Folken Fanel

more kof pls

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Farangu wrote: »
    Anybody know a good PCB to put on a PS4 TE2 to make it Xbone compatible? Or should I just start practicing KI on pad

@Paladin got a Brook converter that plugs onto the end of your USB cable, and it works super well.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    ya, or you could do a total PCB conversion for 30% more bux

If you had an Xbox One stick, you could have had a cheaper cross compatibility mod but nertz ps4

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator Mod Emeritus
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    ill be home at 12:45 AM EST tonight @Knob @Folken Fanel

more kof pls

I don't know what those numbers mean in human time

• Options
    in 2.5 hours from now

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Lol too late for old men like me ggs.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    I got sucked into the decline of Western civilization and spend the evening hiding under the covers

• Options
    Also I think I mostly fixed my connection as long as I can get everyone to not upload shit while I'm on

• Options
    Make knobs internet great again.
    im so sorry

Characters I hate:

• Options
    im off work today so down for fights whenevs @Knob @Folken Fanel

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    im off work today so down for fights whenevs @Knob @Folken Fanel

Ok cool i think i can play tonight.

@fRAWRst any chance we can play at not-ridiculous oclock?

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    today i learned how to late tech. [insert googly eyed expression]

i thought this entire time people were just guessing

• Options
    EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    today i learned how to late tech. [insert googly eyed expression]

i thought this entire time people were just guessing

I kept telling you it was important!!

iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »

If you had an Xbox One stick, you could have had a cheaper cross compatibility mod but nertz ps4

Aren't the Brooks converters the ones that are banned from most tournaments?

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I don't know how to do the late tech or the tech/backjump OS

or how to setup the training mode dummy so you can actually learn how to

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Brolo wrote: »
    I don't know how to do the late tech or the tech/backjump OS

or how to setup the training mode dummy so you can actually learn how to

AFAIK, you have to hit back for one frame, then up+throw?

No idea how to actually test this, would be interested in that method

@Euphemon ?

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Farangu wrote: »
    Paladin wrote: »

Aren't the Brooks converters the ones that are banned from most tournaments?

Brooks converters are fine. I think the problem ones are the cronus ones?

edit: yep, from evo rules:
    Brook Converters are allowed.
    Cronus Max Plus and Titan One converters are banned.

re: late tech/jump back tech
    The late/jump tech window isn't very tight, throws have at least 7f of tech window (on a perfectly meaty throw), so realistically you have like 5-6f at least. For latetech (in all situations) you just hold back/downback then tap throw to the SLIGHTLY delayed rhythm of their hits. So when it's a really common pressure string, like jab jab throw or jab throw, you can just do it SLIGHTLY delayed after the jab just like if YOU were linking after their button. Same idea with jump back OS, only you do backjump+throw simultaneously so you block any hit that arrives before 5-6f (ie, any meaty) with downback, you jump back if they don't meaty/mistimed their delay button with the backjump+throw input, and you tech any throw since back jump+throw is still a valid throw tech input.

To practice, set a dummy to do empty neutral jump (for timing) then do jump back os on landing. Then walk up and try to meaty/throw him when he lands. If you recorded it correctly, the dummy should block meaties and tech throws and jump out of late buttons (though there is a 4f window to catch the prejump frames with a button NOT a throw).

If you just want to practice late tech timing, make a dummy do reversal 3f and throw on knockdown, then knock them down and do late tech. You should block 3f, tech throws. This used to be pretty good in sf4, with crouch tech etc., but these days people just shimmy so it's not that useful in real matches. But it helps you get a feeling for the timing.

If you want to practice late tech against pressure strings, set a dummy to action playback and record one action with neutral jump (for timing) then cr.lk -> throw in one slot and same thing but cr.lk -> st.lp in another slot. Then practice your timing until you always tech throw AND block st.lp. The window is pretty large actually so you might want to pick an even slower normal than st.lp, but that's the idea. You can step up the difficulty by using a slower button than st.lp, like st.mp. Then you can practice jump back OS in the exact same way.

Also remember:
    Late tech seems really strong, and you'll be tempted to always use it, but be smart about it. Late tech is literally THE THING that shimmy beats. But because late tech is so ingrained in players' muscle memories, shimmy works all the fucking time. So you need to constantly weigh the risk/reward of trying to tech/late tech vs eating a shimmy combo for triple the damage and a better oki situation. That's why pro players get chain thrown, which isn't good obviously, but that's the thinking behind it.

Late tech also loses to frame traps, in that that's basically exactly what many delayed frame traps are trying to catch. So you could eat a counterhit combo or even CC combo into Rest In Peace.

And of course, jump back os loses to meaty command throw.

Euphemon on
    iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular

It's legit. It happens first thing on the Twitch VOD.

• Options
    to practice late tech I set the Ryu dummy to walk forward st.lp, throw, and then walk forward st.lp, st.mp

you want to press the tech as late as possible, so that you're hitting the button when the st.mp would have you in block stun

there is a series of frames that will result in both a tech OR a successful block depending on what action its doing that time

Another tidbit I didn't know but was useful is... I guess you want to try to time that tech as late as you can, and the way you know how late you teched is that the later you tech it in the window, the farther the characters will separate

the operative idea here (i think) is that if you're consistently doing them as late as possible, it makes you less exposed to smaller/more common frame traps

• Options
    edited November 2016
    to practice late tech I set the Ryu dummy to walk forward st.lp, throw, and then walk forward st.lp, st.mp

you want to press the tech as late as possible, so that you're hitting the button when the st.mp would have you in block stun

there is a series of frames that will result in both a tech OR a successful block depending on what action its doing that time

Another tidbit I didn't know but was useful is... I guess you want to try to time that tech as late as you can, and the way you know how late you teched is that the later you tech it in the window, the farther the characters will separate

the operative idea here (i think) is that if you're consistently doing them as late as possible, it makes you less exposed to smaller/more common frame traps

When you want to tech depends a lot on your opponent. Reversal techs can beat shimmy attempts since they're not far enough away. A quicker late tech lets you throw frametraps designed to catch the typical slow late tech.

And there's no difference in how far they separate. What changes is how far each character moves (how far one gets pushed back and the other gets pulled in), which is a result of the animation. Ryu fthrow really exaggerates this because the first few frames of his animation has ryu taking a big step back, but if you look carefully it doesn't actually change the distance relative to each other, only the stage. Where this DOES help is, depending on throw animation (for example, Ryu's fthrow), a late tech when you're in the corner can help you push yourself out of the corner slightly.

Euphemon on
    iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    Saw Dr. Strange last night and now all I want to do is make a strange/dorm team and sit in umvc3 training room for hours.

Characters I hate:

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Okay so after a false alarm (Thanks Tesco, also fuck you Tesco) I actually do have KoF 14 now. PSN is Dudebusters so hit me up for fights which, I presume, will be awful both because I am trash tier and because loltransAtlanticconnections.

Also somebody talk to me about converters. Will I still need a USB hub and my PS4 pad plugged in all the time in order to get my 360 stick working on my PS4 with one? (I'm looking mostly at the Brooks one, however I don't know if that will let me use my Xbox elite controller with the PS4 so I may end up with the Cronus one instead).

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    Dyvim lets kof sometime

Characters I hate:

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Is this tournament like an amateur tournament or something? (GUTS I mean). Haven't seen any big names, and some of players are uhh, not great at Street Fighter. Not throwing shade, I am terrible at Street Fighter, just used to seeing higher level play this late in tournaments.

e: Oh, this seems to be pools, I thought we were farther along. That may be it.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    So, picked up SFV on sale Sunday.

I think I may be getting the hang of this, because I just got my first ragequit. I messed someone up a lot with high/low and then just went for the CA on the stun (for gratuitous overkill, since it was match point... but a throw would have ended it). And they quit on the flash.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Okay so after a false alarm (Thanks Tesco, also fuck you Tesco) I actually do have KoF 14 now. PSN is Dudebusters so hit me up for fights which, I presume, will be awful both because I am trash tier and because loltransAtlanticconnections.

Also somebody talk to me about converters. Will I still need a USB hub and my PS4 pad plugged in all the time in order to get my 360 stick working on my PS4 with one? (I'm looking mostly at the Brooks one, however I don't know if that will let me use my Xbox elite controller with the PS4 so I may end up with the Cronus one instead).

i have a brooks 360 to ps4 converter

u have to update the converters driver (atleast i did) with each new ps4 firmware. this gets rid of the "timeout" issue and having to sync a ps4 controller with it etc

so basically right now i just plug in brooks, plug in 360 stick

viola, 360 stick pretends its a ps4 controller, no actual sync'd ps4 controller needed

i also use it with an og 360 pad for titanfall 2. works 100% as a ps4 controller

cant recommend enough

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Does KOF14 have the legacy driver, so you can use PS3 sticks? I know that doesn't help for a 360 stick/pad, just curious because I use a Hitbox that has a PS3 mode.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Is this tournament like an amateur tournament or something? (GUTS I mean). Haven't seen any big names, and some of players are uhh, not great at Street Fighter. Not throwing shade, I am terrible at Street Fighter, just used to seeing higher level play this late in tournaments.

e: Oh, this seems to be pools, I thought we were farther along. That may be it.

usually I go to this but I ended up not making it. turns out when you work saturdays and also want to play in lots of mtg events, your bosses might not be too keen with you trying to swap a buttload of weekend days

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    yo lets play some kof

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    yo lets play some kof

Will you be around later today/tonight?

Characters I hate:

• Options
    ya should be, hit me up on steam

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    huh, looks like my wish has been granted and the ranked mode now has a much wider band you can be matched with

looks like you can go a full medal rank up or down anywhere now (so Super Silver can play Super Gold, etc)

• Options
    KinderpartyKinderparty Registered User regular
    steel yourselves, fans of marvel vs capcom

Kinderparty rides to Capcom Cup this year!

after all, it is Capcom Cup, not Street Fighter Cup...

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    steel yourselves, fans of marvel vs capcom

Kinderparty rides to Capcom Cup this year!

after all, it is Capcom Cup, not Street Fighter Cup...

wait what

what

• Options
    SFV ranked experience is a lot better in this last update. very quick matchmaking, you're no longer 2 bad sets away from being cut off from an entire league, etc, etc

im actually having... fun? what is this feeling

• Options
    KinderpartyKinderparty Registered User regular

marvel lives???
    xkpmgbbpdy1t.gif

This discussion has been closed.