Options

Overwatch: Kawaii Noon

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    I don't think blizzard had any bad intentions with the rainmaker pharah skin but I hope they listen to the criticism. At the very least they should keep skins based off cultures to characters of that culture, and they should take more care to make the cultural skins accurate enough that it doesn't offend.

But I'm almost certain they just went "what's a cool looking bird skin we can do?" and ran with rainmaker because it does look pretty cool. It's a shame that they didn't at the very least have a Native American character to give it to, and even then it would need to be modified to not be quite so stereotypical.

I'm not sure I 100% agree with this. I can definitely see why the Rainmaker skin is insensitive, because there's a long history of appropriating Native American culture among other things that makes it worthy of criticism, but the Djinyatta skin besides the fact that he's not middle-eastern culturally I don't really see the problem with. I mean yes it is stereotypical, but it's stereotypical of a Djin, a mythical being whose appearance is almost always drawn from a version of the time and place where the myths are mostly commonly known. I can see possible issues with the actual implementation of skins like that, but not that Zenyatta has it at all, if you get what I mean. Similarly for the Ra skin. Ra is cool, why not give him a Ra skin? Sure he's not Egyptian, but who cares? It's a thing from ancient Egypt a culture which doesn't even really exist anymore.

The Maori/pacific Islander skin I don't know. It might be an implementation thing, I think Road Hog (Mako Rutledge) is supposed to be of Maori descent, though he did definitely live in Australia according to his backstory. In general I think it's a very case by case basis thing.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I don't think blizzard had any bad intentions with the rainmaker pharah skin but I hope they listen to the criticism. At the very least they should keep skins based off cultures to characters of that culture, and they should take more care to make the cultural skins accurate enough that it doesn't offend.

But I'm almost certain they just went "what's a cool looking bird skin we can do?" and ran with rainmaker because it does look pretty cool. It's a shame that they didn't at the very least have a Native American character to give it to, and even then it would need to be modified to not be quite so stereotypical.

I'm not sure I 100% agree with this. I can definitely see why the Rainmaker skin is insensitive, because there's a long history of appropriating Native American culture among other things that makes it worthy of criticism, but the Djinyatta skin besides the fact that he's not middle-eastern culturally I don't really see the problem with. I mean yes it is stereotypical, but it's stereotypical of a Djin, a mythical being whose appearance is almost always drawn from a version of the time and place where the myths are mostly commonly known. I can see possible issues with the actual implementation of skins like that, but not that Zenyatta has it at all, if you get what I mean. Similarly for the Ra skin. Ra is cool, why not give him a Ra skin? Sure he's not Egyptian, but who cares? It's a thing from ancient Egypt a culture which doesn't even really exist anymore.

The Maori/pacific Islander skin I don't know. It might be an implementation thing, I think Road Hog (Mako Rutledge) is supposed to be of Maori descent, though he did definitely live in Australia according to his backstory. In general I think it's a very case by case basis thing.

The thing is Djinn's aren't just mythology

They are a part of several religions, including currently practicing ones

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    confession:

if i get one of pharra's legendary skins im deffo gonna use it cause it looks really cool

HOWEVER if i at anytime get her anubis skin im using that cause it looks even cooler imo

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular

The thing is Djinn's aren't just mythology

They are a part of several religions, including currently practicing ones

So are angels, and demons, and a lot of other things. I guess when it's generally part of more major religions or cultures I think it's much less serious and should be much more based on the individual merits of the representation than the fact that it's not their native culture, like if people have an issue with Djinyatta because it's stereotypical in a way they find insensitive or problematic I'd be open to the idea, but not just because Djinn are part of a religion and culture that Zenyatta is not generally representative of, but because of potential issues with the specific implementation. I don't think all cases of potential cultural borrowing or appropriation are equally problematic I guess.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    tumblr_o8f7qsG3ji1rsccq2o1_1280.png

Dad 76 continues to be the best.

• Options

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Also, a less cool thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-wOh_fuTqI

What is with some of the shot mechanics in this game

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Also, a less cool thing:

There is some real wonky coding in this game at times, I'm guessing its just because it is blizzard's first FPS?

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    The "Reverse QuakeWorld".
    Quake locked your aim 10 or 15 degrees away from vertical, frankly I don't remember if there was a reason.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    I stumbled upon fan art of overwatch characters in high school and Lucio and DVA were trying to convince hanzo to read homestuck

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I stumbled upon fan art of overwatch characters in high school and Lucio and DVA were trying to convince hanzo to read homestuck

and why did you not link it here

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    So in this reimagining, D.Va and Lucio are the villains, interesting

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

checks out

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    I need a grim badass old lady tracer from the bad future

Tracer: 76

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    There aren't enough kickass older ladies in media at all, really. Among my favorite characters to come out of cinema in the past 10 years was Sniper Granny from Mad Max: Fury Road.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    There aren't enough kickass older ladies in media at all, really. Among my favorite characters to come out of cinema in the past 10 years was Sniper Granny from Mad Max: Fury Road.

Granny in Hoodwinked was a badass.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    I'd add Olenna Tyrell to that list, too

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    I'd add Olenna Tyrell to that list, too

Ooooh yeah!

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    every time she says something to Cirsei I'm like "daaaaang no wonder James Bond married her"

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I'm digging this weekly brawl. It's forcing me to use characters I never would use in a regular match, and I don't feel the least bit bad when I suck it up.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9nL6Umrsrg

Saw this in the G&T thread and it's too good not to post over here.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »

Holy shit

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Quake locked your aim 10 or 15 degrees away from vertical, frankly I don't remember if there was a reason.

If they used Euler angles instead of quaternions to calculate rotation, there is a pole directly up and down around which the mathematics get weird.

broken image link
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

im fuckin dying @ that mcree remix

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

If they used Euler angles instead of quaternions to calculate rotation, there is a pole directly up and down around which the mathematics get weird.

can't tell if you're just making up startrek words or not

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Getting two Mercys on a team in mystery heroes seems unfair

as long as you keep reviving everyone everyone keeps their ult charge

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    ph blake wrote: »

OH MY GOD

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    oh my GOD that mccreemix

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    That McCree song is fucking incredible.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I would probably say Zenyatta is the most challenging character in the whole roster
    Which is funny to me because I'm really good with him and pretty much garbage with anyone else.
    Except Torbjorn because turrets and sometimes Pharah because rocketspam.
    The weekly brawl right now is random heroes after every death so I'd say get a feel for the basic controls and then jump straight into that for a bit

It was great for me during the beta
    Random heroes is the best and I hope it quickly becomes a regular playlist instead of in the weekly Brawl rotation.
    It's the best way to practice characters you don't use often against real players, without having to play them against humans picking their best characters.
    In normal quick plays I very infrequently switch off the few that I feel competent with because then I feel like I'm dragging the team down.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I would probably say Zenyatta is the most challenging character in the whole roster
    Which is funny to me because I'm really good with him and pretty much garbage with anyone else.
    The weekly brawl right now is random heroes after every death so I'd say get a feel for the basic controls and then jump straight into that for a bit

Random heroes is the best and I hope it quickly becomes a regular playlist instead of in the weekly Brawl rotation.
    It's the best way to practice characters you don't use often against real players, without having to play them against humans picking their best characters.
    In normal quick plays I very infrequently switch off the few that I feel competent with because then I feel like I'm dragging the team down.

I really like the idea of the random hero thing, but I dipped in tonight and got about the worst roll.

We were attacking Hollywood, me and one other started as Torb (rest was pretty okay). Meanwhile they started with a Bastion, a Mercy, a Torb, a Zarya, and two D.Va's. We managed to take A (with like 10 seconds left) but hoo boy that was rough.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I played some of the weekly yesterday and it was pretty fun, if complete bedlam.

It looks like playing in that mode doesn't affect your playtime stats with various heroes though, for some reason?

It did force me to try out Mei, which I'll probably end up playing more of, and Lucio, who I never want to touch again.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular

3d maths how does it work

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Did they stealth nerf Buffalo Billing?

Few people today landed safely when hooking them over gaps and wells

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Houk wrote: »

I really like the idea of the random hero thing, but I dipped in tonight and got about the worst roll.

We were attacking Hollywood, me and one other started as Torb (rest was pretty okay). Meanwhile they started with a Bastion, a Mercy, a Torb, a Zarya, and two D.Va's. We managed to take A (with like 10 seconds left) but hoo boy that was rough.

There's definitely been some matches where the RNG is nasty, but even then I feel like "Hey, it's not my fault."

Also, weirdly, sometimes the game gives you who you selected at the start. I think if you select a character, then get put into a pre-match skirmish, it lets you have your selection for the first life, in the same way that in a multi-round match like KotH, you keep the same character between rounds.
    We had a match where 4 of the people on my team selected Symettra just for shits, and I selected Zenyatta. It was defense on... King's Row? Most of our Symettras died within the first minute or so, but we pretty thoroughly brutalized them. They didn't make any headway until about 1 minute before time was up. I had my only death late enough in the match that the kill cam didn't finish before the match ended, and they didn't take the first point.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Did they stealth nerf Buffalo Billing?

Few people today landed safely when hooking them over gaps and wells

Roadhog's hook is super unpredictable at times and will throw people into weird places if it's feeling trollish.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Every time a win the weekly for the first time that week I'm upset it doesn't reward a loot box. Common blizzard.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Also, a less cool thing:

There is some real wonky coding in this game at times, I'm guessing its just because it is blizzard's first FPS?

Overwatch is likely on the cutting edge when it comes to how to manage a multiplayer FPS. There's a reason why most games rely largely on hitscan weapons coupled with relatively slow-moving projectiles - because having a lot of fast-moving projectiles is more difficult to deal with. And yet when you think about the characters in Overwatch, the majority of them have projectile weapons, many of them nearly as fast as hitscan. It's pretty amazing that they are able to get the game's appearance to coincide with its behavior so consistently, given the variety of player connections and sheer amount of stuff on the screen.

I wouldn't be surprised if the vertical aiming issue is a byproduct of the prediction/reconciliation they do to determine where an object actually ends up. It might very well be an actual, conscious constraint, given the prioritization of the horizontal over the (purely) vertical. Like, you will very rarely encounter a scenario where someone will want to be aiming straight up/down, so they impose some sort of cone of fire to streamline the process.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Every time a win the weekly for the first time that week I'm upset it doesn't reward a loot box. Common blizzard.

It does seem like there should be some kind of reward for playing the weekly brawl. Give me a loot box or even some Overbucks, just something to incentivize people into trying it.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Zarya's industrial skin is cultural appropriation of Unreal Tournament.

Mwx884o.jpg
This discussion has been closed.