As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Indie Games] Stardew Valley hits PS4/One on 12/14

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    It's interesting to me how important the presentation of levels is to people. I know some people who hate open worlds and would have their experience dramatically improved by splitting the areas up into discrete levels and I know people who hate level selects and want hubworlds or open worlds. And, like, I get in, in concept, but I'm not sure that's ever been a major factor in my enjoyment of a game.

3D collectathon platformers are very specifically, to me, about doing 10 things in a world and then going to the next world

its part and parcel of those games identity to me

I'm sure it'll be fine, but I would probably prefer it that way

In most cases I don't really care

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    Panda4You
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I actually love that idea of one huge open world

It sounds like Jak and Daxter

Duke 2.0
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    It's interesting to me how important the presentation of levels is to people. I know some people who hate open worlds and would have their experience dramatically improved by splitting the areas up into discrete levels and I know people who hate level selects and want hubworlds or open worlds. And, like, I get in, in concept, but I'm not sure that's ever been a major factor in my enjoyment of a game.

3D collectathon platformers are very specifically, to me, about doing 10 things in a world and then going to the next world

You can still do that, you just don't need loading screens for it

6F32U1X.png
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

You can still do that, you just don't need loading screens for it

yeah but I want a big portal you go through into a discrete world

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    Care Free Bomb
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    so it's a banjovania-like

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    BahamutZERO
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

I'll wait until Yooka-Laylee 2 when I can jack cars and I get a gun

97H9G7S.png PSN - Masked Unit | FFXIV - Laitarne Gilgamesh
    WeedLordVegetaBahamutZEROcB557EtchwartsEtiowsaPanda4YouDuke 2.0Dys
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Well, the BK games had a lot of going back and forth due to getting new moves in later levels that allow you to do stuff in older ones. BT even went as far to make the worlds interconnected, to where you had to do stuff in one world to unlock things in another. YL seems to be iterating on that idea even further.

• Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    I'm with Chincy, I like very discrete areas connected by a hub world for my 3D collectathon platformers and if something's going to directly appeal to my Banjo Kazooie nostalgia it needs to do that

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    so it's a banjovania-like

More Banjovania-lite, imo.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Care Free BombBahamutZERO
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Just finished Day 1 of Firewatch. I think I might try to play this in real time? One day per day kinda thing? Seems like it might lend itself well to that.

Also I'm not sure if this is gunna be strictly character drama or horror or mystery or what. But as someone living alone in a cabin in the woods near a firetower I can already tell I'm going to be SUPER susceptible in what it goes for.

And holy shit it is MEGA pretty.

aGPmIBD.jpg
    MaddocHermanoturtleantWeedLordVegetaEtchwartsDarkPrimusWassermelonewandering
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    Just finished Day 1 of Firewatch. I think I might try to play this in real time? One day per day kinda thing? Seems like it might lend itself well to that.

Also I'm not sure if this is gunna be strictly character drama or horror or mystery or what. But as someone living alone in a cabin in the woods near a firetower I can already tell I'm going to be SUPER susceptible in what it goes for.

And holy shit it is MEGA pretty.

I wouldn't bother with the one day per in game day thing

Setting it down every do often when you feel like you have enough narrative to think over might not be a bad way to play it though

97H9G7S.png PSN - Masked Unit | FFXIV - Laitarne Gilgamesh
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Yeah I'm not gunna set a steadfast rule. But I'm gunna try to parse it out for sure. I get the feeling I'm gunna dig the story quite a bit. So I'm taking the same no binging approach I do to television.

aGPmIBD.jpg
    UnbreakableVow
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I bought Stardew Valley for PS4

I don't know if I can do this

I just assumed that when someone brings something to consoles, they give it console controls

These mouse controls are driving me fucking insane

EDIT: Yeah, nope, I can't deal with this. Shame. Rune Factory 4 was a fun time from what I played of it and I was desperate to see that type of game on PS4, but not with these controls

I'm okay with it in Destiny and NMS where it is used only in menus and has a very deliberate feel to it. Here it's ultra-sensitive and just doesn't feel good at all, and also the cursor comes up when you're actually in gameplay, which is a huge no-no for me - I've played through Mario Galaxy twice and still haven't gotten over how much that annoys me, and it was the initial reason I dropped Twilight Princess Wii as well

UnbreakableVow on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Weird, I can play sdv just fine using a 360 controller on PC. In wonder if anything changed?

Magic Pink
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    i own stardew valley on pc but wasn't able to play it because this laptop is 10 years old

i'll provide a trip report on what it's like on ps4 going in with no prior knowledge

• Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Wait like

Everything uses a mouse cursor? I assume you walk around with proper controller controls but to interact with anything you've got a mouse cursor tied to an analog stick?

I mean that saves me some money I guess but I was really excited to finally play that

Panda4You
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    Wait like

Everything uses a mouse cursor? I assume you walk around with proper controller controls but to interact with anything you've got a mouse cursor tied to an analog stick?

I mean that saves me some money I guess but I was really excited to finally play that

that's definitely not how it works on PC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N24YdDfRV0w

like that's someone paying with a controller, there's only a mouse cursor when you need one, but all farming and inventory stuff can be done with just the sticks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv2vdH23fDI

here's mary kish playing it on PS4

you get the cursor on some menu screens at 00:21:00 (bundle screen, purchasing goods screen) - I don't see it all when she's farming at 1:03:00

• existexist Registered User regular
    Oh weird they just cut that segment of UPF out and made it an Unfinished!

UmPiq.png
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I don't know why but the new graphic and color scheme seem to deemphasis using the tactical stuff?

Like, I dont look at that game and think I should slow down and think about the my swords positioning

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    cB557Care Free Bomb
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    More River City Ransom: Underground character spotlights!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khEzmN_Ok90

I like this guy a lot:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBG33gM7Kgc

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    DarmakElbasunuPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANVirgil_Leads_You
  • FuzzytadpoleFuzzytadpole Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

I'll wait until Yooka-Laylee 2 when I can jack cars and I get a gun

People joke about the shift in tone all the time, but Jak 2 and 3 were really good.

Albino BunnyMaddocturtleant
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I don't know why but the new graphic and color scheme seem to deemphasis using the tactical stuff?

Like, I dont look at that game and think I should slow down and think about the my swords positioning

I've tried doing the tactical sword fighting thing in Nidhogg but it's never seemed as effective as just bumrushing your opponent with a divekick or a sudden leg sweep followed by furious button mashing

DarmakPanda4You
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I got Sunless Sea recently and have been playing it this weekend.

There're many different currencies that you exchange to make numbers go up like in Fallen London and the sailing can be sort of eh...

But now I have a fancy little house and a child and an undead chef on my crew, so that is pretty cool.

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    And now I've started up a new character in Fallen London.

Oh dear.

Primaphearia is a dangerous person and they will be the Conan the Barbarian of Fallen London.

Rats invaded their house and after killing hundreds of them, Primaphearia stated to the press that they are more or less supportive of rat suffrage because the little devils fought well enough.

Virgil_Leads_Youchiasaur11BlankZoeEtchwartsDoobhYaYa
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    VayBJ4e.png
    turtleantLalabox
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

Yell Heah?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

Yell Heah?
    HEAH!!!!

CYpGAPn.png
    Mr Fuzzbutt
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    1oo6lnncwmla.gif

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I don't understand what I'm looking at

BahamutZERO.gif
    turtleantSageinaRage
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Yell Heah?
    HEAH!!!!

https://youtu.be/KLtLbiQBe8s

BahamutZEROPanda4YouAndy Joe
    Night In The Woods is an upcoming adventure game from Infinite Fall. Coming 2017

It looks like an adventure game analogue to
    contemporary webcomics such as octopus pie, by meredeth gran
    or Habits by Lauren Monger

I'm excited for it!

VayBJ4e.png
    Panda4You
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Thumper now has Rift and Vive support on PC

6F32U1X.png
    SageinaRage
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I started VA-11 Hall-A and I think I've found my actual dream job

Grey Ghost on
    Virgil_Leads_YouWeedLordVegetaMaddocAlbino Bunny
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    yaaaaay insane skateboard game glitches my favorite thing

BroloSageinaRageDys
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    That dude became one with the Skateforce

BrolocB557ShortyEtchwartsDuke 2.0turtleantAndy Joedarunia106wandering
This discussion has been closed.