As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Orlando Mass-Shooting

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular

Seriously, fuck you Bryan Fisher. They don't need your "help", they need to not be discriminated against and treated as a sub-species of human. That's what causes more extreme shit like this to happen.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    There are plenty of people who are extremely homophobic but are not particularly religious.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    "This had nothing to do with religion" says the guy who raised him in the religion.

Then again, with his choice of targets... :(

what a disaster. :(

You don't have to be religious to be a hateful bigot. He very well might not have been that religious.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Phasen wrote: »
    "This had nothing to do with religion" says the guy who raised him in the religion.

Then again this line of thought only comes up with Muslims.

WE ARE NOT DOING THIS

• Options
    I will report anyone who turns this into a treatise on Islamic beliefs, so help me

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    This is rough.

It is Pride here in DC. The festival is today, the parade was yesterday. There will probably be a much more somber tone there now. I am expecting another frustrated, exhausted, Obama speech today as well.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    This guy has fucked over his own people massively. Though who knows since it was a bunch of gay people who died maybe the type of redneck that goes for revenge attacks won't care this time.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

Shocking revelation, you can be a bigoted asshole completely independent of religious belief.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Atomika wrote: »

WE ARE NOT DOING THIS

I think you misunderstood my intent with that line (and admittedly it wasnt particularly eloquent). People who hate muslims only care about religion when the shooter is muslim. Did we immediately look at christianity when the charleston shooting happened?

Phasen on
    psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    This is rough.

It is Pride here in DC. The festival is today, the parade was yesterday. There will probably be a much more somber tone there now. I am expecting another frustrated, exhausted, Obama speech today as well.

Yeah, it's Milwaukee Pride this weekend, Chicago next weekend.

man

fuck each and every thing about this

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I've been sitting here with this page open for about ten minutes now, thinking I had something to say, but there are no words coming. What a disgusting thing to have happened.

Neco on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »

Seriously, fuck you Bryan Fisher. They don't need your "help", they need to not be discriminated against and treated as a sub-species of human. That's what causes more extreme shit like this to happen.

Haha is that so Bryan? Did you forget you said this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqnsIcfw2Zc
    I want to read a passage that my wife pointed out to me this morning from Numbers 25. This is a story about a man by the name of Phinehas, the nation had lapsed into rampant sexual immorality - I don't know if that sounds familiar to you, it certainly does to me - and Phinehas was motivated to do something about this and he did something very decisive: he found an Israelite in flagrante with a Philistine woman and he ran them both through with a spear, pinned them both to the ground inside their tent, ran his spear through both of them, right into the ground. And that shook up the nation, it got their attention and they transformed, they made a decision, they turned from that kind of behavior and renewed their commitment to follow God.

[Fischer then reads Number 25: 10-13: 10 Then the LORD spoke to Moses, saying, 11"Phinehas the son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron the priest, has turned away My wrath from the sons of Israel in that he was jealous with My jealousy among them, so that I did not destroy the sons of Israel in My jealousy. 12"Therefore say, Behold, I give him My covenant of peace; 13and it shall be for him and his descendants after him, a covenant of a perpetual priesthood, because he was jealous for his God and made atonement for the sons of Israel."]

So Phinehas is commended for his zeal, that he was willing to take action, that he was willing to act boldly, he was willing to act decisively out of his jealousy for his God and his jealous desire to see that his people, his nation, would be wholly devoted to God.

So what God is obviously looking for is more Phinehases in our day ... you know, and it's striking here, that here's the actions of one man, here is one man by his action, by his commitment, by his energy, by his commitment, by his willingness to take decisive and assertive action when that's what was called for, he alone was able to turn back the wrath of God from his people, from his nation.

So may his His tribe increase, may each one of us be a Phinehas our own world and in our own generation.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

As I said time for Obama to speak to us as a country again about how sad and exhausted he is about this stuff.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

WE ARE NOT DOING THIS

I think you misunderstood my intent with that line (and admittedly it wasnt particularly eloquent). People who hate muslims only care about religion when the shooter is muslim. Did we immediately look at christianity when the charleston shooting happened?

Yes. Definitive answer. Moving on. Seriously.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular

Most of the KKK claim to be Christian. This line of thought isn't Muslims. It's when an individual or group decides that they are better than other people and that killing those lesser beings will cleanse the world of the cancer that has corrupted it.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    https://twitter.co m/nytimes/status/742026360420466692

As I said time for Obama to speak to us as a country again about how sad and exhausted he is about this stuff.

I wouldn't begrudge him dropping the f-bomb in weary frustration

Atomika on
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    What are some good organizations to donate to? I've been seeing an Everytown.org being linked, but aside from gun safety stuff I assume there are LGBTQ focused groups as well. I feel like I should know this already but I can't even remember the organizations that grade charities.

Sorry, I'm uninformed and unfocused.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Did he wash out of the police academy? Lots of photos of him with NYPD gear on...

Speaking as someone with private security experience, a lot of hyper-macho jerk-asses in that industry love to post Facebook photos of themselves in police/military/tactical gear and holding guns, even if they're police agencies or militaries from a completely different area or country. NYPD and SWAT are favourites because of perceived coolness.

These guys are shitbreeds. They have nothing to do with those groups and they usually have never even applied there (as is likely the case of a Florida mall-ninja posting grimacing photos of himself in store-bought NYPD swag). They likely will not and often cannot apply themselves to those agencies, services, forces, or militaries. They are the security equivalent of a guy in a Packers jersey telling you he coulda gone pro, bro, he coulda gone pro! But his fuckin' knee, bro.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    This is rough.

man

Isn't it Pride month nationally?

EDIT: Also I just thought about the fact that tomorrow's my last day at school and I've been helping out with the Gay-Straight Alliance club. And I have a bunch of Muslim students who are not having a great time with Trump's bullshit and had it really bad after Paris.

FUCK

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016

Charity Navigator is a site ive used to check on the legitimacy of a charity.

Phasen on
    psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    This is rough.

man

Indianapolis had their gay pride events this weekend as well.

I don't even know how to respond to th e shooting, it's so frustrating.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I can't even understand what kind of hate and mental unsuitability that causes someone to do this or like the Voice girl that got killed this weekend. It makes no sense...

It makes perfect sense.

People are raised from birth to believe their entire existence is owed to a supreme being they cannot communicate with or understand and then they're told that the supreme being will punish them if they allow others to act against a set of arbitrary rules AND THEN they live in desperation or unhappiness and wonder why their supreme being has abandoned them AND THEN they see two men kissing.

Forget the gun control debate. Right now I'm sick up to my eyeballs with religious indoctrination.

Please. You don't know anything about the guy yet and you are jumping to this stuff already? We have no idea what kind of household he was raised in, how religious he was or even what the basis of his issues were.

You know what we do know though? He shot like a hundred fucking people. One fucking hundred from the reports so far.

Let's forget the "religion is the problem" debate instead and look at how a guy gets access to weapons that let him try to kill like two bus loads worth of people. Cause it seems silly to jump to issues not yet established over issues that are pretty firmly right there in the centre already.

shryke on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    As a native Floridian, this all just makes me feel ill.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    quick word:

Refrain from gun control debates here, please

Not the place

we even have a whole thread for that already

While I agree with Shryke above, I did want to repost this.

• Options
    SavgeSavge Indecisive Registered User regular
    So I've heard it for a long time but is this it, is this finally domestic Islamic Terrorism?

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Holy shit Dan Patrick.

*redacted*

At best that is a very poorly timed tweet that was scheduled to go out in advance of all this, or at worst... man, I actually don't even want to consider the alternative. I hate my state sometimes. More and more lately.

EDIT - Okay he apparently deleted it, but here's a screenshot of the tweet:

xt0oicquc40x.jpeg

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Savge wrote: »
    So I've heard it for a long time but is this it, is this finally domestic Islamic Terrorism?
    it's all in the OP

Atomika on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

Given that his father stated he didn't feel it had to do with religion, no, I think "Domestic Terrorism" seems accurate for now.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    920x920.jpg

Later deleted.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

Given that his father stated he didn't feel it had to do with religion, no, I think "Domestic Terrorism" seems accurate for now.

More to the point there shouldn't be a distinction between domestic terrorism and domestic terrorism committed by a Muslim. McVeigh's victims are no less dead because he was nominally a Christian, much like the San Bernardino victims are no less dead because those shooters were nominally Muslims.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    This guy has fucked over his own people massively. Though who knows since it was a bunch of gay people who died maybe the type of redneck that goes for revenge attacks won't care this time.

That is part of the idea. Make it worse for Muslims, and so they have to follow you. Because this asshole was a selfish jerkoff who doesn't give a shit who he hurts, as long as he's right, whether it's just bigotry or something else.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I was having a shit week and this is like the fuck icing on the ass cake

I really hope all the survivors pull through

• Options
    Elki wrote: »
    920x920.jpg

Later deleted.

A spokesperson said that was a pre-timed tweet and apologized.

Patrick is a shitty human being, no doubt, and hates LGBT people, but this may have been an honest stroke of bad timing.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    quick word:

Refrain from gun control debates here, please

Not the place

we even have a whole thread for that already

Do we? Pretty sure that got locked for the usual reasons months ago.

Edit: Which just means double don't talk about it I guess.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    920x920.jpg

Later deleted.

If this is related to the shooting, Dan Patrick is a goose of the highest order.

A goosehole if you will.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    920x920.jpg

Later deleted.

A spokesperson said that was a pre-timed tweet and apologized.

Patrick is a shitty human being, no doubt, and hates LGBT people, but this may have been an honest stroke of bad timing.

Still brought the supportive tools out of the woodwork, though.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    fuck

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    SavgeSavge Indecisive Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

More to the point there shouldn't be a distinction between domestic terrorism and domestic terrorism committed by a Muslim. McVeigh's victims are no less dead because he was nominally a Christian, much like the San Bernardino victims are no less dead because those shooters were nominally Muslims.

There shouldn't be, but that's not the world we live in. The particular brand of "domestic Islamic terrorism" has a different perception from vanilla style terrorism, and its consequences lead to destabilization effects in political theatres around the globe.

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    I'm seeing people on the news asking people locally to give blood

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!