As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Quake Champions] Beta open to all, no more NDA, new esports team mode

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    This all seems reasonable but I have a feeling the competitive scene will latch onto just one character being the only viable one.

• Options
    BobbyrrrrBobbyrrrr Registered User regular
    Yep, unless the characters are balanced and changed. There will be probably one or two meta heroes.

Speed will be key for map control, but any additional health/armour will be an advantage too. Double jumps will be great against rockets.

Right now I'd say Nyx and Scale are the strongest, although Slash might be good in a team/objective game.
    I'm not in the beta, but Slash' skill looks pretty situational.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    A speedcap makes my eye twitch a little but I think that has more to do with the Tribes player in me. I don't think it'll have any real impact on me as I was never a great Quake player, I just really enjoy playing Quake. So that's the best part about the F2P aspect. At least I get to check this out before I decide if I want to put money in it.

Drake on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Game will be "free-to-play" but the only champion who is free is Ranger. All the rest can be acquired by paying a flat cash fee, of course.

"But what about in-game currency?" You might ask. I'm glad you brought it up! Seems like you can acrue "favor" as an in-game currency. But if you thought you could just BUY champions with it, think again. You spend favor for TEMPORARY access to other champions. That's right, if you don't pay cash, you apparently can't permanently acquire other characters: you have to rent them.

https://www.destructoid.com/quake-champions-will-be-free-but-there-s-also-the-option-to-buy-it-424122.phtml

The game looks pretty good, I was getting excited until I read this, it sounds like a terrible system.

Just sell me the game for $60 please and add characters for free Overwatch style.

There is a confirmed one-time-gets-all purchase price on top of the f2p system.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Page- wrote: »
    Game will be "free-to-play" but the only champion who is free is Ranger. All the rest can be acquired by paying a flat cash fee, of course.

"But what about in-game currency?" You might ask. I'm glad you brought it up! Seems like you can acrue "favor" as an in-game currency. But if you thought you could just BUY champions with it, think again. You spend favor for TEMPORARY access to other champions. That's right, if you don't pay cash, you apparently can't permanently acquire other characters: you have to rent them.

https://www.destructoid.com/quake-champions-will-be-free-but-there-s-also-the-option-to-buy-it-424122.phtml

The game looks pretty good, I was getting excited until I read this, it sounds like a terrible system.

Just sell me the game for $60 please and add characters for free Overwatch style.

There is a confirmed one-time-gets-all purchase price on top of the f2p system.

Thank god.

• Options
    Clutch trailer and they just sent out another round of beta codes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq7Dy1kkuLA

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    So is it actually possible to download the Bethesda launcher? None of the links on their website seem to work for me.

...not that I got a code or anything... <_<

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    So is it actually possible to download the Bethesda launcher? None of the links on their website seem to work for me.

...not that I got a code or anything... <_<

I was able to download it without any problems, but I can't remember if I accessed it directly from the email or the website. You may also need to enter your code first? I'm really not sure, that's strange you can't get it.

I actually deleted the game and launcher as soon as the beta ended last weekend.

Looks like I'm reinstalling!

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Weird. It kept on timing out when I tried to download it with Chrome. Switched over to Edge and was able to get it that way.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    I tried to register a BYOC seat for Quakecon last night, but apparently it wasn't in the cards. Jumped on before registration started and was placed in the queue as soon as it opened up... then waited for over an hour only to finally see a "SOLD OUT" screen pop up.

Apparently they were allowing people who got through to purchase multiple tickets this year, so tons of people waiting in the queue got fucked because of it. Guess I'm not going this year.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    New hero. Some kind of Paladin
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OooVUvC1KGE

Looks like she can plant healing totems and exploding totems.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I got my invite! Anyone else get in?

• Options
    I guess we need to talk about Quake Champion's proposed new 1v1 mode.

Instead of your genre-defining timed duels on rotating map pools, they want to again emphasize the Champion aspect of the name. Borrowing both from fighting games and a bit of Clan Arena, this is going to be round based, say best two out of three. At the start of the map, each player picks 3 champions, which becomes his or her life pool. As in, they start playing as champion A and when that character dies they have to choose between champions B and C for the next respawn. Once a player has lost all champions in his or her pool, or the timer runs out, the match ends and the player with the most champions left wins the round. After that, the map resets for the next round.

As you can imagine, it ain't going over well with those who have heard about it.

stream
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    I found a closed beta invite in my mail today. Downloaded the game, but I have yet to try Champions.

Anyone want to play together? PM me.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I've been playing a bit this weekend. The game itself feels good imho. But I'm still a bit skeptical of the champion abilities.

Some of them don't seem too bad, but not having the ability to try them all myself i can't really say for sure how things will work out. I do wish they would just have a classic mode for all of their game modes that just set all characters to the same stats and removes their abilities.

Also I cannot imagine the person who came up with that idea of 3v3 snk style arena matches has ever watched a game of competitive quake before. Considering the time to live in quake 3 games can be as short as 5 seconds (or less if you're particularly unlucky)

dav3yb on
    PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    here's the recording of the new duel game mode that got taken down earlier.

https://youtu.be/b6QNFTPj6C4

stream
  • Options
    ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    So it looks like strafe jumping isn't a thing here? Seems like just regular style bunny hopping?

• Options
    Everyone can strafe jump to some degree but they have built-in speed limits. Some have extra movement options like Anarki's QW/CPMA air control and Slash's Q4 crouch-slide.

stream
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Page- wrote: »
    here's the recording of the new duel game mode that got taken down earlier.

https://youtu.be/b6QNFTPj6C4

Now that I'm actually seeing it, it doesn't seem like a horrible mode, especially given it goes X number of rounds. I still think they should have a classic mode that makes all characters even across the board and drops the abilities.

Btw, I apparently signed up to the beta with a 2nd email account. Anyone need the code?

dav3yb on
    PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    I just got an email with 3 codes to hand out for the continuing closed beta this coming weekend. If anyone is interested and hasn't gotten a code yet, here's your chance.

Loading...?

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Looks like some new stuff coming this weekend. They're opening up a new game mode called Sacrifice (4v4 team-based) and making the Visor character free for everyone to use along with Ranger. Sounds like this beta will be running all the way from today to the 21st, so a nice long time to get into it.

Also, they lifted the NDA, so screenshots and streaming and stuff are fair game now. Maybe I'll stream a few sessions over the weekend!

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    And you can just go to the website and get a beta key, so they're basically opening the beta to everyone.

• Options
    ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    The netcode in this game seems to be a big problem. It's wildly throwing off my aim with micro-stuttering and projectile delay. Often times fire fights seem to just come down to luck because the aiming feels off due to lag. At first I thought I'd fallen further off with Quake than I anticipated, but I began to notice the lag that would crop up. There's a noticeable difference when my shots are actually registering correctly. Right now the game doesn't feel right, and hopefully they'll address this. I also really dislike the Champion powers, although I'll probably get used to them.

Aside from those things this is surprisingly solid. It feels really good when there isn't problems with lag, and if they get that fixed up (which I'm sure they will), I can totally see this being in my rotation.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Reddaye wrote: »
    The netcode in this game seems to be a big problem. It's wildly throwing off my aim with micro-stuttering and projectile delay. Often times fire fights seem to just come down to luck because the aiming feels off due to lag. At first I thought I'd fallen further off with Quake than I anticipated, but I began to notice the lag that would crop up. There's a noticeable difference when my shots are actually registering correctly. Right now the game doesn't feel right, and hopefully they'll address this. I also really dislike the Champion powers, although I'll probably get used to them.

Aside from those things this is surprisingly solid. It feels really good when there isn't problems with lag, and if they get that fixed up (which I'm sure they will), I can totally see this being in my rotation.

Agree about the lag, even with 34 ping (according to the game), there was stutter and lag all over the place. Most noticeable with the lightning gun. Also feels like mouse accel or smoothing or something is turned on, feels strange.

Just getting the game installed is a pain. First, the code generated from the web page for me was invalid, I had to generate another one. Then, they make you install yet another steam-like client (so now I have steam, uplay, origin, blizzard launcher, epic games launcher, and bethesda.net launcher). Then on top of that you have to agree to 6 some odd legal agreements when creating a bethesda.net account, downloading the game, and entering the game which probably make you sign your life away. Enough already, sheesh. What a terrible user experience.

Game seems fun, the guns look weird though. I really have to get used to the changed looks. I have no idea what I'm holding. As has been said frequently, they really do look like UT rip-offs or something. I've only played FFA so far, so I have no idea if the abilities are really playing a role or not. I didn't use mine (Ranger's teleport) too often, but does one of the champions (the giant robot) give extra health or armor or something? I found it quite tough to take that one down.

The respawning is strange...why can't I just press the fire button to respawn like every other Quake game? I have to constantly press spacebar for some reason or press the respawn button that shows up. Just change it to be the fire button like before...or allow turning on auto-spawning. Also allow auto-switching weapons as a toggleable. Minor annoyance, but I'm disappointed they haven't used the mouse sensitivity values from previous id games (because I know the value range that fits me) but now it's some arbitrary new system. I'll have to feel out a new value range for me.

Lastly no console? Not surprising...but Quake ushered in console usage. It's super useful. Maybe it's there and it has to be enabled somehow?

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    The big characters generally have more starting health and armour, and higher normal caps for pickups.

Many of the starting guns are ugly as hell, but you know how it is these days. They're selling "classic" skins for all the weapons, so if you want to make the rail gun not look like a neon t-shirt cannon you just have to get a lucky drop or pay up.

All that extra delay between spawns is so that you can switch characters (if the mode allows it) or starting weapons.

No console is pretty dumb. Hopefully, they add it in later. Got to have those swank ^ colours, right? And sensitivity that you can set without a goddamn slider.

stream
  • Options
    I've got 3 beta codes that I got sent to give to other friends. Does anyone need one?

• Options
    Page, you don't have to use the slider, you can type in a number.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    august wrote: »

tru... tru...

• Options
    I watched that for far too long before turning it off.

Meh. I've fapped to weirder stuff. Do your worst Sorlag. /zzzzzzip

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
  • Options
    As promised, the $40 EA buy-in includes every champion available plus every new one they release in perpetuity.

stream
  • Options
    I thought I saw it was 30?

• Options
    Yeah, it's $30 now and goes to $40 when the game releases.

stream
  • Options
    Hmm, $30. That's dipping dangerously into "tempting" territory. I'll have to think about this.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Quake 1's Ranger guy has a fairly cool backstory, that ties into the end of the first Quake in an interesting way:

https://quake.bethesda.net/en/champions/WEzrNO7paEc46uyEWKskg

Two decades ago, a lone Marine stepped through the Slipgate and into nightmare. He cut through countless horrors to find four eldritch Runes, then laid waste to the abomination known as Shub-Niggurath.Trapped in these realms ever since, he has survived using the power of the Dire Orb seized from within the hot gore of the All-Mother.Time and delirium have eroded his resolve and even his name, but a worn family photograph tucked away in his armor serves as a scrap of hope and sanity.

The Dire Orb is that spikey blue sphere that traveled around Shub-Niggurath's lair used to do the telefrag.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Apparently if you played during one of the earlier beta periods, you are getting the early access stuff for free. That's pretty cool.

EDIT: Well, maybe it's just continuing to play for free. Still cool though.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Somebody alledgedly datamined potential new champions
    15034993503956msw5.png

So Nyx, Scalebearer, Anarki, Slash, Clutch, Galena, Ranger, Visor, Sorlag, BJ Blazkowicz and the Doomslayer has been revealed. That leaves

Existing Characters
    Commander Keen - Male child genius, built a rocketship and explores the universe in the Commander Keen games. Grandson of BJ Blazkowicz
    Crash - Female counterpart to the Doom Marine from Quake III
    Daemia - Female Bounty Hunter from Quake III
    Hunter - Female Warrior from Quake III. Apparently the fact that she doesn't wear a lot of clothes was important enough to point out in her bio. "Barely Armored"
    Keel - Male Cyborg Warrior from Quake III
    Klesk - Weird chitinous alien zealot from Quake II
    Orbb - Best fucking character in the game: a walking eyeball from Quake III
    Uriel - Gargoyle and Dark Angel of Death from Quake III
    Xaero - Male Enhanced Human, arena champion of Quake III

New/Unknown Characters
    Athena
    Beastmaster
    Death Knight
    Ingrid
    Keen - Might be another name for Commander Keen
    Raine
    Strogg - The Strogg were the cyborg enemies from Quake II, 4 and Quake Wars. There was a character called "Tank JR" in Quake III, but this might be a different character.
    Tarada
    Unumrey

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    I don't even care about abilities or stats, I will play Orbb and nothing else.

I never really understood how to do strafejumping and stuff in Quake, but the speedometer they added is a big help. Assuming it's the same as past games you just hold W+A or D and wiggling the mouse a bit lets you go fast. Still not sure I understand it, but I sometimes go fast.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Does Doomguy have a voice?