Options

The 2016 Downticket Elections Thread for People Who Are Capable of On-Topic Civility

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I mean I know for a fact that he hates his job in the Senate so the only reason I can fathom that he's trying to stay there is to make another run at the Oval in 2020

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    The other GOP candidates aren't clearing the road for him either.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    The other GOP candidates aren't clearing the rode for him either.

Of course not.

A) That's a collective action problem and

B) He really stuck his foot in it during the primary

If the Republicans can't get their shit together and keep a relatively narrow field at the Presidential level, it's laughable to expect them to do it in much less visible races.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    He didn't carry his state in the Presidential primary. Everybody knows he's beatable and he doesn't have the clout to punish them for trying to prove it.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    The other GOP candidates aren't clearing the road for him either.

Actually, they have been. One of the major GOP Senate candidates just announced that he was instead pursuing reelection in the House.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    I thought there was someone else still in the race that committed to spending another couple mil?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    And he's using the bodies of shooting victims he doesn't give a shit about as an excuse to get back in. He's an awesome dude.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    And he's using the bodies of shooting victims he doesn't give a shit about as an excuse to get back in. He's an awesome dude.

Yeah I like how Marco who was pretty anti gay and pro gun using a shooting of LGBT people to be the reason he has to return.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Well, if Rubio doesn't not show up to his job... who won't?

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »
    13528953_1427683067247803_2267592973300431694_n.jpg?oh=e71f0fee80f404f635e93434c4b7a70e&oe=57F7EF7A

And somewhere, an Onion editor starts to cry.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    13528953_1427683067247803_2267592973300431694_n.jpg?oh=e71f0fee80f404f635e93434c4b7a70e&oe=57F7EF7A

A Web address on the billboard redirects to Tyler’s campaign website, which explains that the candidate chose a sign that “is difficult to ignore and its message comes across as authoritative and influential.”

Tyler also suggests that his billboard is based on Donald Trump’s “Make America Great Again” slogan.

“Of great significance, as well, is the reality of the Trump phenomenon and the manner in which he has loosened up the overall spectrum of political discourse,” he noted. “The Make America White Again billboard advertisement will cut to the very core and marrow of what plagues us as a nation.”

A second sign used words from Dr. Martin Luther King’s “I Have a Dream” speech along with an illustration of the Confederate flag surrounding the White House.

Tyler said that he planned to put up other billboards, including “Fight federal tyranny / Stop the Muslim invasion” and “Mamas, don’t let your babies grow up to be miscegenators.”

The candidate told WRCB-TV that he did not hate people of color, but wanted to return to a “1960s, Ozzie and Harriet, Leave it to Beaver time when there were no break-ins; no violent crime; no mass immigration.”

Wow. Woooooooow.

• Options

A Web address on the billboard redirects to Tyler’s campaign website, which explains that the candidate chose a sign that “is difficult to ignore and its message comes across as authoritative and influential.”

Tyler also suggests that his billboard is based on Donald Trump’s “Make America Great Again” slogan.

“Of great significance, as well, is the reality of the Trump phenomenon and the manner in which he has loosened up the overall spectrum of political discourse,” he noted. “The Make America White Again billboard advertisement will cut to the very core and marrow of what plagues us as a nation.”

A second sign used words from Dr. Martin Luther King’s “I Have a Dream” speech along with an illustration of the Confederate flag surrounding the White House.

Tyler said that he planned to put up other billboards, including “Fight federal tyranny / Stop the Muslim invasion” and “Mamas, don’t let your babies grow up to be miscegenators.”

The candidate told WRCB-TV that he did not hate people of color, but wanted to return to a “1960s, Ozzie and Harriet, Leave it to Beaver time when there were no break-ins; no violent crime; no mass immigration.”

Wow. Woooooooow.

That high pitched sound?

The death cry of irony.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Wow. Woooooooow.

It's all I can do to chuckle weakly, instead of cry.

Weren't crime rates actually much higher back in the 1960s, just that public perception of it was down?

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Crime only happened in those neighborhoods, or behind closed doors, or...

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I mean I know for a fact that he hates his job in the Senate so the only reason I can fathom that he's trying to stay there is to make another run at the Oval in 2020

I just figured it was because he realised after his run this year that if he didn't keep his Senate seat, he was done forever. Gotta keep the money flowing in.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

You don't say.

There isn't enough alcohol in the world.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Knight_ wrote: »

You don't say.

There isn't enough alcohol in the world.

They call Tyler Captain Obvious because he says things that are obvious.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I'm going to assume Tyler's seat is considered safe? I feel like that sign would be poison in a competitive district.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    I'm going to assume Tyler's seat is considered safe? I feel like that sign would be poison in a competitive district.

Not currently a congressman.

Edit: Well that was unpleasant, I went to his site and everything. Nowhere, that I could stand reading to, did it list what he was running for. Ballotpedia came through though:

https://ballotpedia.org/Rick_Tyler

Senate from Tennessee. He ran last time and almost got six thousand votes! A strong contender he is.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular

Not currently a congressman.

Edit: Well that was unpleasant, I went to his site and everything. Nowhere, that I could stand reading to, did it list what he was running for. Ballotpedia came through though:

https://ballotpedia.org/Rick_Tyler

Senate from Tennessee. He ran last time and almost got six thousand votes! A strong contender he is.
    Yeah I mean it's not good but his influence is barely above a YouTube comment.

• Options
    Oh hey, today is NY primary day. Ya know, if you were registered as a party member 9 months ago.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Wow. Woooooooow.

I checked out his site because I hate myself.

The image at the top is the White House decked out in confederate flags. Because of course it is.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I suspect he has no idea that, as alt histories go, that's considered almost as much a sign that "shit is bad in this timeline" as when the flags have the swastika on 'em.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Not a snowball's chance in hell, but still noteworthy:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/chrisgeidner/transgender-woman-elected-democrats-nominee-in-utah-senate-r?utm_term=.sw67PAwVR3#.mgDmykQRXz
    WASHINGTON — Utah Democrats on Tuesday voted for Misty Snow as their party’s nominee for Senate, the first out transgender nominee for Congress from a major party.

• Options
    While that's awesome, I wish we recruited options other than a grocery store cashier in Utah when the top of the ticket is going to be dragging Mike Lee down a little. SLC usually elects a Democratic Mayor, right?

• Options
    While that's awesome, I wish we recruited options other than a grocery store cashier in Utah when the top of the ticket is going to be dragging Mike Lee down a little. SLC usually elects a Democratic Mayor, right?

Honestly, the other guy sounds like he could have made a run at it, but I don't think either one of them have a serious chance.
    A marriage therapist, Swinton is 35 years old and Mormon. He described himself as a conservative Democrat who sought to govern as a centrist, similar to former Rep. Jim Matheson and Doug Owens, who is running against Rep. Mia Love, R-Utah, for the second time.

Snow jumped in the race shortly before the filing deadline because she wanted to offer an alternative to Swinton. And while Swinton led in the state convention, Snow notched enough support to force a primary, largely by criticizing Swinton for advocating for limits to abortion rights.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Honestly, I'd probably rather roll the dice for the big win in Utah this year than take what could charitably be called a Blue Dog.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Some anti-Trump Mormons may hold their noses and vote for Clinton, or Johnson. More of them would have voted for Swinton, and none of them will vote for Snow. Swinton would still have been a massive improvement, and no collapse by Trump could possibly pull Snow over the finish line.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Honestly, I'd probably rather roll the dice for the big win in Utah this year than take what could charitably be called a Blue Dog.

Either option has a 0% chance of winning, so it doesn't really matter.

• Options
    It's too bad Rocky Anderson decided to be a holier than thou purist and quit the party, basically.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »

Misty Snow is patently unqualified - she's a 31 year old cashier with no background in politics, only a high school degree who has never even lived on her own. That she also can't be elected in Utah shouldn't be a major plus. I don't know much about Swinton, but most of his positions are moderate at worst based on his webpage and Utah is a very socially conservative state. I'd rather a small chance of adding a vote to Schumer's caucus that might be a pain in the ass than an indistinguishable to zero chance of adding someone who isn't qualified to be an Senate intern, especially when Mike Lee is the alternative.

The 50 state strategy means competing with legitimate candidate everywhere, and in a substantial portion of those places a legitimate candidate is going to be to the right of the party in general.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Swinton wanted the bogus Planned Parenthood videos investigated which is disqualifying on the basis of believing obvious bullshit.

• Options
    https://www.ralstonreports.com/blog/dccc-poll-rosen-clinton-lead-cd3

The poll of Congressional District 3 voters, conducted 10 days ago, showed Jacky Rosen leading Danny Tarkanian by 40 percent to 34 percent and Hillary Clinton ahead of Donald Trump by 43-35. The DCCC surveyed 341 likely voters, a relatively small sample, which resulted in a 5.3 percent margin of error.

The polling memo, which is below, shows Rosen well ahead among independents and Hispanics. Although she clearly is not as well known as Tarkanian, his favorability ratings with the general electorate are upside down (22/35).

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    It's too bad Rocky Anderson decided to be a holier than thou purist and quit the party, basically.

Not necessarily wrong about some of those holier-than-thou-isms, but yeah not really helping the Dem party "grow a spine" by leaving it.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Is Sharron Angle running again for Nevada Senator?

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »

She was, but she lost the primary. It's going to be former state Attorney General Catherine Masto (D) against Congressman Joe Heck (R).

• Options
    Mr Khan wrote: »

She was, but she lost the primary. It's going to be former state Attorney General Catherine Masto (D) against Congressman Joe Heck (R).

And that NV 3 poll above showing the Dem candidate up is Heck's old district (EVEN in PVI, so definitely something we need to pick up)

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    Zephyr Teachout won her primary and will go on to face Faso in November.

Kirsten Gillibrand and Chuck Schumer have both endorsed her. I want her to win pretty badly; it'll be good to get some new blood in the progressive wing of the party.