Options

The 2016 Downticket Elections Thread for People Who Are Capable of On-Topic Civility

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Mill wrote: »
    I'm wondering how well democrats will do this November with the dumpster fire at the top of the GOP ticket. Plus, it looks like the party at the national level is finally starting to implode. I think we have a good shot at seeing the Democrats take the Senate. Would be awesome if they got the House and a number of state legislatures because it would open the door to dismantling a ton of the vile shit the current GOP has put in place. Don't think we'll see people in offices to obliterate CU, but maybe it'll be feasible to gut all the shitty ass voter disenfranchisement schemes with a federal law and possible nuke partisan gerrymandering (both of which would probably go a long way to keeping things reasonable for a very long time).

The Trump-tying has already begun. The R candidates have to support the nominee even if they disagree with him on like, everything. Tons of the country hates the nominee. This is an opportunity the Dems can't fuck up.

Patty Judge got Obama's official endorsement yesterday I think. She's already yoking Grassley hard to Trump (and to King's racism). Plz plz plz let this happen Iowa.

The same thing was said in 2012 and 2014, yet the Dem's lost control of the House and Senate.

Dems did fine in 2012, despite an epically shitty map for them because of the 2006 wave. It's Presidential year vs. off year.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    2018's the bad year, but even that's not terrible (3 likely-lost Senate seats in Montana, North Dakota, and West Virginia, the rest can be retained with a good fight).

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular

It probably won't make much difference. He won't make top 2 and some Republican will win the runoff.

(Seriously, wtf... LA puts the primary on Election Day.)

• Options
    Tenek wrote: »

It probably won't make much difference. He won't make top 2 and some Republican will win the runoff.

Why wouldn't he make the top two? He's done it before.

• Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    It's not looking good for ousting Rand Paul this year, unfortunately. Running against him is Democrat Jim Gray, a wealthy businessman known mostly for being the mayor of Lexington and openly gay. His policy planks as listed are singularly uninspiring - a milquetoast list of glittering generalities, hopelessly dated Blue Dog pro-business platitudes (in this year of all years...), a couple of small positives (being pro-infrastructure is not exactly a home run) and standard-issue lip service bullshit (rah rah Israel). Needless to say, he's polling comfortably behind Paul - an transparently opportunistic moron who makes Jim Bunning, who may actually have brain damage, seem like an elder statesman.

My prediction is that there will be very little effort invested in actually attempting to win. State Democratic party apparatchiks will continue to justify their existence and paychecks by going through the motions. The dwindling coterie of college professors, bourgie lawyers, and miscellaneous white-collar professionals that make up Kentucky's "new left" will cluck their tongues and declare themselves too precious for this redneck earth, returning to their comfortable lives uninterrupted on Wednesday morning. The civil-service workers and union members that make up our Democratic base will dutifully pull the handle as they always do, with the same result. Rand Paul may or may not walk into his acceptance speech juggling, or wearing a Bozo nose.

/cyno-apathic vent disengage

Duffel on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    There aren't very many things I want the Democrats to steal from Republicans, but their ability to prioritize and win seats that aren't just at the top of the ticket is one of them.

• Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular

25 years ago, yes. Now he'll just be an opportunity for the Republicans to show how not-racist they are by picking someone less overtly horrible.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

25 years ago, yes. Now he'll just be an opportunity for the Republicans to show how not-racist they are by picking someone less overtly horrible.

So you may want to check in on the American presidency thread. This year the GOP appears to be going retro so maybe racism is the new black again.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Duffel wrote: »
    It's not looking good for ousting Rand Paul this year, unfortunately. Running against him is Democrat Jim Gray, a wealthy businessman known mostly for being the mayor of Lexington and openly gay. His policy planks as listed are singularly uninspiring - a milquetoast list of glittering generalities, hopelessly dated Blue Dog pro-business platitudes (in this year of all years...), a couple of small positives (being pro-infrastructure is not exactly a home run) and standard-issue lip service bullshit (rah rah Israel). Needless to say, he's polling comfortably behind Paul - an transparently opportunistic moron who makes Jim Bunning, who may actually have brain damage, seem like an elder statesman.

My prediction is that there will be very little effort invested in actually attempting to win. State Democratic party apparatchiks will continue to justify their existence and paychecks by going through the motions. The dwindling coterie of college professors, bourgie lawyers, and miscellaneous white-collar professionals that make up Kentucky's "new left" will cluck their tongues and declare themselves too precious for this redneck earth, returning to their comfortable lives uninterrupted on Wednesday morning. The civil-service workers and union members that make up our Democratic base will dutifully pull the handle as they always do, with the same result. Rand Paul may or may not walk into his acceptance speech juggling, or wearing a Bozo nose.

Yeah, the Kentucky Democratic Party is kind of a trash fire. Any organization that thinks empty suits like Jack Conway and Alison Lundergan-Grimes are their shining stars is one of questionable judgement.

• Options
    Sprout wrote: »

Yeah, the Kentucky Democratic Party is kind of a trash fire. Any organization that thinks empty suits like Jack Conway and Alison Lundergan-Grimes are their shining stars is one of questionable judgement.

Problem is the DNC thinks Ludergan-Grimes is still a rising star given that they're having her speak. We see the damage too much purity testing does, but one i think we can all agree upon is that you should support your President.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    Sprout wrote: »

Problem is the DNC thinks Ludergan-Grimes is still a rising star given that they're having her speak. We see the damage too much purity testing does, but one i think we can all agree upon is that you should support your President.

maybe she'll fall on her sword and make things right

• Options
    Progressive groups are withdrawing their endorsements for Grayson in Florida because of 20 years of police reports re: domestic violence. His response when asked about this was to shove a reporter.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I should really learn how to read

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Progressive groups are withdrawing their endorsements for Grayson in Florida because of 20 years of police reports re: domestic violence. His response when asked about this was to shove a reporter.

Wasn't he also accused of domestic abuse?

Thats what enlightened. said

Edit: Irony!

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    For some reason my eyes glazed over that. I think I need to actually go eat lunch, I haven't eaten since last night.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    So looks like it'll be Patrick Murphy v Rubio, right?

• Options
    Cobb County chairman Mike Lee, who fucked his constituents over for the benefit of the Atlanta Braves, was given the boot by Cobb County voters tonight.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    The Atlanta politician is Tim Lee.

Mike Lee is the Tea Party senator from Utah.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    So, today is primary and local elections in Michigan.

Which means if you live there, GO VOTE TODAY.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

(Cobb County ain't really Atlanta)

But yes.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    knitdan wrote: »

Ah. Ok.

I thought the Senator from Utah had somehow diverted a bunch of federal money to a stadium trying to steal the Atlanta Braves.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    From PEC
    gM5P2XW.jpg

But polling is so sparse who knows.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    [insert comment about requiring +4% for simple majority here]

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    There also isn't a ton of Senate polling yet, which is disappointing.

• Options
    And the spokesman for Paul Ryan's primary opponent has this to say about Trump refusing to support the Speaker:

Primary's in a week, Mr. Leg Day.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Rubio Cited the Orlando shootings As a Reason to run, now attends anti LGBT Event

You know in a just world this would end you dry mouthed mother.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Oh, and here's the campaign ad for Ryan's opponent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcVsuCgYf0U

• Options
    Oh, and Ryan's campaign responds to Trump:

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Not sure how this will effect my state races, but Delaware Supreme Court rules that the States Death Penalty is unconstitutional

so now I gotta find out how the guy that's in the state house who is running for US House voted.

edit: not voted. Feels. how he feels.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    Evan Bayh is attacking his opponent for wanting to cut Social Security. We are in a weird universe.

• Options
    Evan Bayh is attacking his opponent for wanting to cut Social Security. We are in a weird universe.

Very inspiring to live in a universe where "Everyone Knows we have to cut social security" is no longer a thing.

• Options

Very inspiring to live in a universe where "Everyone Knows we have to cut social security" is no longer a thing.

Turns out the tone changes when the people saying that are about to start drawing it out. Funny, that.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »

Turns out the tone changes when the people saying that are about to start drawing it out. Funny, that.

Eh that's never been a problem, because they always said "we'll cut it for our grand children, but not you awesome voting people!"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Voting against the Farm Bill makes Kansans angry. Who knew? Goodbye Tim Huelskamp, may your "establishment" Republican replacement be less crazy.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

Dunt, dunt, dunt

Another one bites the dust

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Missouri Primaries were today.

Meet the Missouri Republican Gubernatorial Nominee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf2Gai1uQYM

(Note that only one person in the history of Missouri has won a Senate or Governor seat as their first state-wide election, so history is against him)

For some better news from Kansas, several incumbent Teaper Republicans in the Kansas State legislature look like they're going to lose their primary. Even if Kansas stays red on the local level, it might still be inching to the left.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

Dunt, dunt, dunt

Another one bites the dust

That's a new way to dodge the press.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I voted!

Sent in my Delaware state elections primary ballot today!

I had 3 races, US Congress, Lt Governor, and Insurance commissioner.

ost candidates had their own websites, which is helpful!
    If there was no website, I didn't vote for them.
    I looked into the candidates briefly, but they're all Democrats, so most of them are easy enough to guess.

Ended up voting for 2 women, 1 man. And the guy was mainly because his opponent didn't have a campaign website. Shame on her. Even if it's for the Insurance Commissioner, you put up a website, dammit.

But that's not the crucial part. The absentee system is actually impressive.

I get a voucher number
    sign in to website with voucher
    Options to print ballot or do it online
    choose: online
    Select your candidate to choose
    Once all candidates are chosen, select return process (email/fax/post)
    Choose: email
    Select how to sign your ballot: Mouse your signature ala mspaint, take a photo of your signature, sign and scan your ballot, sign with last 4 of SSN and YOB
    Choose: SSN & YOB
    System generates pdf of your ballot, save t your computer
    ensure all details are correct
    save and send via email to county election officials
    Check you ballot in 24 hours to ensure it's been received.

boom

i voted and didn't even leave my couch.
    I am suuuuper impressed.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    My democratic primary ballot arrived in the mail and I guess I gotta choose between Alan Grayson and Patrick Murphy for Florida Senate

Alan Grayson is a popular "far left" "liberal firebrand". He endorsed Bernie, and has been an outspoken opponent of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. He had a mic drop moment on the house floor when he said the Republican's healthcare plan was "Part one, don't get sick. Part two, if you do get sick, die quickly." Etc. My kinda politician.

Meanwhile Patrick Murphy is a Republican-turned-Centristcrat who endorsed Mitt Romney, is for the Keystone pipeline, for weakening Obamacare, anti-regulating for-profit-colleges. Etc. Ick.

Obviously I'd vote for the ultra-liberal and not the dude who makes Hillary look like Noam Chomsky.

...But then it came out that Alan Grayson may be a domestic abuser.

Also he maybe did something shady with his hedgefund or whatever.

So, dang.

wandering on