As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game of Thrones] OPEN SPOILERS through most recent Season 7 episode. Valar Morghulis.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Seal wrote: »
    It seems like the Maesters lost their way a long time ago. They seem solely focused on preserving information to an extent that it's become hoarding for the sake of it. They study old texts and dispense knowledge, but rarely if ever try to advance it. Content to preserve what they have and too arrogant to recognize that they understand very little.

That may be because the magic of the world ebbed away when the dragons died, and there's no one with the experience left alive to explore new knowledge so they're stuck.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Apostate wrote: »
    As someone pointed out before they have chains on them to prevent stealing. It was a common medieval practice. The chains can be unlocked too. The books can be taken out as long as a person signs it out.

None of the chains appeared attached to the books, and Sam does not reattach a single one when reshelving them, though.

Tis a bit puzzling.

Given that 'prentice Sam isn't trusted enough to have unfettered access to the library, why would he be given the keys to the book chains so that he could reshelve the chained ones?

Plainly, as the lowly sot he is, he's only allowed to reshelve the books that don't warrant chaining up. Some Upper librarian probably gets to shelve the chained ones.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    As someone pointed out before they have chains on them to prevent stealing. It was a common medieval practice. The chains can be unlocked too. The books can be taken out as long as a person signs it out.

None of the chains appeared attached to the books, and Sam does not reattach a single one when reshelving them, though.

Tis a bit puzzling.

Given that 'prentice Sam isn't trusted enough to have unfettered access to the library, why would he be given the keys to the book chains so that he could reshelve the chained ones?

Plainly, as the lowly sot he is, he's only allowed to reshelve the books that don't warrant chaining up. Some Upper librarian probably gets to shelve the chained ones.

Then why are there chains all over the shelves he's working on anyway if the books aren't important enough to chain up

Look I demand logical answers here, prop department plz

• Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    The Maester he spoke with believes and wants to help Sam, but is chained (heh) by beaurocracy. He has secretly manipulated the ancient chaining protocols and arranged for Sam to be in position to take the information he needs.

Obviously.

Slortex on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    It seems like the Maesters lost their way a long time ago. They seem solely focused on preserving information to an extent that it's become hoarding for the sake of it. They study old texts and dispense knowledge, but rarely if ever try to advance it. Content to preserve what they have and too arrogant to recognize that they understand very little.

The Maesters appear to at least be doing medical research in Ep1. What else would you have them do?

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    Seriously though, considering the Maester's chains are their symbols of achievement and office and resumes and everything else about a Maester, it makes sense that they would also figure into the decor a bit.

I like to think that accomplished Maesters have their chains returned to the Citadel to be hung or displayed as a memorial once they die. Maybe Maesters known for work in expanding their scholarship by adding to the library get their chains hung near the books they wrote.

I like this a lot.

I'm curious if props was going for the "chained up books" idea, then it was too awkward or something and just left them there because it looked cool.

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Plus isn't the whole thing in the books that they
    started Roberts rebellion?

• Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    Maybe its their version of the dewey decimal system, because I don't know about you, but I am not exactly seeing a whole lot of markings on the binding spines of those books. How else would they organize that huge library?

Yeah, I assumed the chains were links forged from the metal of whatever subject it represents in a Maester's chain, yellow gold for mathematics, iron for Warcraft, silver for medicine, valerian steel for the occult and so on.

Are the maesters westerosi boy scouts?!

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited July 2017
    Slortex wrote: »
    Maybe its their version of the dewey decimal system, because I don't know about you, but I am not exactly seeing a whole lot of markings on the binding spines of those books. How else would they organize that huge library?

Yeah, I assumed the chains were links forged from the metal of whatever subject it represents in a Maester's chain, yellow gold for mathematics, iron for Warcraft, silver for medicine, valerian steel for the occult and so on.

yes.

chain links are merit badges

the black chain link means you studied the arcane.

I am 99.9999% certain this has been discussed on the show

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Book spoiler:
    Tyrion put the chains in the Citadel to prevent Stannis' fleet from entering it.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    rockrnger wrote: »
    It's a theory, but not really a substantial one. There is also a theory that
    they have purposely been working to destroy magic in the world and/or killed all the dragons. With a related theory being that the dragons themselves somehow generate magic in the world.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

yes.

Can't remember it from the show, but I know in the books black iron is ravenry and Valyrian steel is magic/occult.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited July 2017

The Maester's love their World of Warcraft. Including the movie.

Heh, I never actually saw the WoW movie, but watching those scenes it amazes me the actors were able to keep a straight face throughout.

RT800 on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I liked the parts of the warcraft movie where the people with ridiculous shoulder armor ran into each other

and then they were like, we should devote 30 minutes of screentime to the vikings guy romancing a girl with fake teeth

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Tis a bit puzzling.

Then why are there chains all over the shelves he's working on anyway if the books aren't important enough to chain up

Because only some of the books on the shelves need to be chained up - they're either currently chained and sitting on the shelves, or checked out and their chain is waiting for them when they get reshelved.

• Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular

Tis a bit puzzling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chained_library
    A chained library is a library where the books are attached to their bookcase by a chain, which is sufficiently long to allow the books to be taken from their shelves and read, but not removed from the library itself. This would prevent theft of the library's materials.[1] However, it also led to crowding and awkwardness when readers had to stand side by side, each holding a book or clumping so they could share one.[2] The practice was usual for reference libraries (that is, the vast majority of libraries) from the Middle Ages to approximately the 18th century. However, since the chaining process was also expensive, it was not used on all books.[3] Only the more valuable books in a collection were chained.[3] This included reference books and large books.[3]

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular

The Maesters appear to at least be doing medical research in Ep1. What else would you have them do?

Do more to copy and disseminate texts, start teaching the peasantry and not just the children of high lords. From my point of view as a show watcher it seems as though the maesters wield enormous influence, beside every major Lord and King in the seven kingdoms there's a maester there whispering in their ears and yet the world remains stagnant. Is this their intent or an unintended consequence?

I could be totally off base here and the maesters could be doing absolutely everything they possibly could to spread information and educate the populace. The world of GoT could just be spending thousands of years in technological stagnation purely for narrative reasons. I hope we see more of them in future episodes and some of these things come into focus.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited July 2017

Tis a bit puzzling.

Because only some of the books on the shelves need to be chained up - they're either currently chained and sitting on the shelves, or checked out and their chain is waiting for them when they get reshelved.

I saw zero books chained up at all. All the chains appeared to be hanging like a curtain.

Maybe someone can find a screenshot. I'm lazy.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular

yes.

Can't remember it from the show, but I know in the books black iron is ravenry and Valyrian steel is magic/occult.

One of the earlier "history" features had Luwin discussing the chain: silver for medicine; gold is accounting; iron for war; and valyrian for magic. Ravenry isn't specified.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »

yes.

One of the earlier "history" features had Luwin discussing the chain: silver for medicine; gold is accounting; iron for war; and valyrian for magic. Ravenry isn't specified.

Naturally, it's forged out of ravens. It's a really rare talent.

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    It's got real raven bits in it. So you know it's good.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

Do more to copy and disseminate texts, start teaching the peasantry and not just the children of high lords. From my point of view as a show watcher it seems as though the maesters wield enormous influence, beside every major Lord and King in the seven kingdoms there's a maester there whispering in their ears and yet the world remains stagnant. Is this their intent or an unintended consequence?

I could be totally off base here and the maesters could be doing absolutely everything they possibly could to spread information and educate the populace. The world of GoT could just be spending thousands of years in technological stagnation purely for narrative reasons. I hope we see more of them in future episodes and some of these things come into focus.

Couple things - while it is a tad stagnant compared to our world, the timing of the culture progressing isn't actually that far off (from bronze to iron to where they're at now) IF you assume that many of the previous feats of construction (which they don't know how to replicate) are magic, like....the Wall.

But yeah, the whole "Maester in every castle, whispering in ears" is a thing. Book theories.
    There's actually a segment which is pretty well supported which seems to imply that the Maesters were specifically trying to kill off magic so their education/science is the only law of the land, and as they have complete control over it they can leverage control over the rulers.

Not proven in the slightest, but there's at least some evidence.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

And also possibly
    poisoning the last batch of dragons

I think the whole maestros trying to stop magic theory holds water. Also book thing
    jagen is trying to steal something from them and warns Sam to shut up about the wights

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Stagnant? Er...

I mean, like, compared to which part of our own history and which region of the world?

Because, the notion of our various human civilizations not being roughly the same thing for many generations of human lives is kinda only a recent thing. Even gun powder didn't really change too much up until machinery got involved in a big way with industrialization.

And that's before we even get into how fucked up their long ass magical seasons, Valarian Doom, near constant warring, a large portion of their population dedicated to subsistence farming, and general culture of "Eh, genocide isn't that bad" (see: Rains of Castemere, a popular song I'm told) into things.

Honestly, I am kinda surprised Old Town and to extent the college of maesters has managed to avoid Library of Alexandria treatment.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

And also possibly

I think the whole maestros trying to stop magic theory holds water. Also book thing
    jagen is trying to steal something from them and warns Sam to shut up about the wights

Books, re spoiler 2
    That would be Marwyn, Sam and Pate exchanged few words, and he warned Sam only against speaking of dragons or prophecies.

Having re-read the Crows epilogue, I'm surprised to see how explicitly Marwyn cops to the whole anti-magic / anti-dragon agenda of those that run The Citadel. I remembered that being more of an inference.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

And also possibly

Books, re spoiler 2
    That would be Marwyn, Sam and Pate exchanged few words, and he warned Sam only against speaking of dragons or prophecies.

Having re-read the Crows epilogue, I'm surprised to see how explicitly Marwyn cops to the whole anti-magic / anti-dragon agenda of those that run The Citadel. I remembered that being more of an inference.
    Booky:
    I'd be careful of conflating not believing in magic, because it has worked in a few lifetimes, and having conspired to eliminate it. The official Maester line is that it doesn't work and is rubbish and a waste of time because it doesn't work. The other Archmaesters would ridicule Sam about it because he is spouting nonsense about faeries and grumkins. At least he would be up until about a decade ago in the book timeline. (Well, unless we go back another few hundred years.)

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited July 2017

And also possibly

Books, re spoiler 2

Booky:
    I'd be careful of conflating not believing in magic, because it has worked in a few lifetimes, and having conspired to eliminate it. The official Maester line is that it doesn't work and is rubbish and a waste of time because it doesn't work. The other Archmaesters would ridicule Sam about it because he is spouting nonsense about faeries and grumkins. At least he would be up until about a decade ago in the book timeline. (Well, unless we go back another few hundred years.)
    Still books
    Marwyn's warning is allegedly to prevent "poison in his porridge," not ridicule.

He also said that, had Aemon returned to the Citadel, he could not be trusted due to his blood. Adding "no more than I can." It is unclear whether Marwyn is also of a certain lineage, or if it's his dedication to magic or Targaryens that makes the Archmaesters distrust him, but it's pretty clear that there is more than mere cynicism behind it.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    That one Maester pissed me off with his stupid analogy of a dynasty being overthrown and the damn walking dead. Sam let him get away with it, too!

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    So instead of this lame "Confederate" idea, can we have one of those GOT spinoffs be based in the Summer Isles and Sothoryos, where a party from the Summer Isles explore the far south of Sothoryos, awaken something horrific and spend the rest of the show convincing all the rival Princes and Princesses that it's real and they need to unite against it? With all of the backstabbing and political intrigue you'd expect from everyone back in the Summer Isles who thinks they're crazy? Possibly with trips to Yi Ti and Asshai to research what the evil is and/or find some magical doohickey to fight it?

Also I'd like it to star Gina Torres, Chiwetel Ejifor, Marianne Jean-Baptiste and Jessica Henwick, but that's just me.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    So instead of this lame "Confederate" idea, can we have one of those GOT spinoffs be based in the Summer Isles and Sothoryos, where a party from the Summer Isles explore the far south of Sothoryos, awaken something horrific and spend the rest of the show convincing all the rival Princes and Princesses that it's real and they need to unite against it? With all of the backstabbing and political intrigue you'd expect from everyone back in the Summer Isles who thinks they're crazy? Possibly with trips to Yi Ti and Asshai to research what the evil is and/or find some magical doohickey to fight it?

Also I'd like it to star Gina Torres, Chiwetel Ejifor, Marianne Jean-Baptiste and Jessica Henwick, but that's just me.

Add that to the pile of GoT spin-offs, HBO has a room filed with 'em.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Seriously though, the lore of the Summer Isles and Yi Ti is some of the best in a universe crammed with amazing lore.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Plus the potential for beautiful people and boobs in the Summer Isles goes up like 300% or something. Come on HBO, you know you wanna.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Seriously though, the lore of the Summer Isles and Yi Ti is some of the best in a universe crammed with amazing lore.

And then they throw it all out bring us the tale of N'degé of Krats, the southern most isle, who brings rumors of lava golems spotted near the summit of Sothoryros's caldera and warns that Summer is coming.

You sweet, winter children.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    and its oooooonnnnnn

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Cersei's speech must have made Jaime's sword hand twitch (if he still had it).

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Yay

Yet another scene lit with nothing but a few candles and occasional flashes of lightning

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Okay, good to see gray worm knows how to use the tools he has in service to those he loves

;-)

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    That scene transition to the pie... *slow clap*

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    OH DEAR GOD THAT JORAH SCENE OH MY FUCKING GOD

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Welp, RIP Hot Pie at some point in the near future.

tOkYVT2.jpg
This discussion has been closed.