As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Programming] Kafkaesque rabbits in the queue at the pub

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Epic and Meditech are banes on the health field's IT industry

Epic in particular since Meditech is struggling to modernize their terminal software for meaningful use last I heard.

That would explain why I've seen fewer projects requiring stuff that plugs into Meditech's stuff lately.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Meaningful use is garbage too

old technology built on top of esoteric technology instead of adopting standardized secure systems. Good job Medicare!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

Epic in particular since Meditech is struggling to modernize their terminal software for meaningful use last I heard.

That would explain why I've seen fewer projects requiring stuff that plugs into Meditech's stuff lately.

The hospital up here that is basically fellating meditech still did finally manage to use citrix instead of that netconnect VPN nonsense that meditech loves.

Citrix is worse though.

It launches a guest shell that starts the terminal. Except with no printers because the way meditech uses printers is dumb as fuck. Also the way citrix shares printers is also dumb.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    [Michael][Michael] Registered User regular

old technology built on top of esoteric technology instead of adopting standardized secure systems. Good job Medicare!

more like meaningless abuse m i rite?

We're going through the requirements and writing up "features" needed for certification later this year, and it's the worst.

• Options
    [Michael] wrote: »

We're going through the requirements and writing up "features" needed for certification later this year, and it's the worst.

Just..

Just everything they came up with makes 0 logistical sense.

None of it helps them do what they wanted to do. And the things they designed to help them do what they want to do are nonsensically described in their test cases. The only standardization is fucking snomed and even that is a crapshoot because there's 18 different terms for the same thing, each with their own unique SNOMed so you can't even track clinical health statistics and track populations because each provider is going to use a different term.

It makes me angry we have to certify. I've had to rip out a lot of our EHR technology because they keep changing their mind how to do it every year. We were halfway through the 2014 certification but it's only good for the rest of this year, if you plan to start reporting next year you need 2015 certification (oh and they're 2-3 years behind on the year numbers too). And the 2015 stuff changed a whole bunch of the stuff.

So not only do you have to parse their shitty XML system, but you need to detect errors and recover from them.. but that's not how XML is designed or implemented in like any system.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

The hospital up here that is basically fellating meditech still did finally manage to use citrix instead of that netconnect VPN nonsense that meditech loves.

Citrix is worse though.

It launches a guest shell that starts the terminal. Except with no printers because the way meditech uses printers is dumb as fuck. Also the way citrix shares printers is also dumb.

Had an international client at my previous job working in support. They had to be connected to via Citrix. Try to imagine all the stuff you had to deal with with Citrix but now all the messages are in French and you don't understand any French that is not cooking and food related.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    It makes no sense to call something 2015 edition when you haven't finalized 25% of it yet.

What the fuck are you doing medicare?

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular

Terminal software is a good way of putting it, because most of their clients (when I last worked at a MT subsidiary years ago) are using their old "MAGIC" systems. These are literally just in-house CLI screen drawing systems that are halfway to Unix data entry. They have a newer "Client/Server" system, which is slightly better, but all of it is just slathered in NIH syndrome. It was a chore just to get them agree to versioning, and only the C/S systems would get it, and only the clinical software, not billing, and only MS SourceSafe, a system discontinued in 2005.

But hey, they invented their own email protocol. That's cool, right?

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    templewulf wrote: »

Terminal software is a good way of putting it, because most of their clients (when I last worked at a MT subsidiary years ago) are using their old "MAGIC" systems. These are literally just in-house CLI screen drawing systems that are halfway to Unix data entry. They have a newer "Client/Server" system, which is slightly better, but all of it is just slathered in NIH syndrome. It was a chore just to get them agree to versioning, and only the C/S systems would get it, and only the clinical software, not billing, and only MS SourceSafe, a system discontinued in 2005.

Easiest of the protocols outside of IRC.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Epic tried to get me to go interview at them when I was about to graduate college a few years ago.

I noped the fuck out of that when I realized they wanted me to take an I.Q. test and a personality test before going onsite.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Yeah did the structure somehow prevent that from becoming private state?

This wasn't an internal count that gets incremented, it was that when we're counting people for some logic relating to which documents to process, we only want to count some classes of people, not others. And now I check the commit, the actual name was includeDocumentsWithNoOtherUsers, replacing skipCheckForOtherUsers, where 'check' was referring to some logic inside that function that got mistakenly refactored to do the wrong thing.

tl;dr: I have a bad memory

djmitchella on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Epic tried to get me to go interview at them when I was about to graduate college a few years ago.

I noped the fuck out of that when I realized they wanted me to take an I.Q. test and a personality test before going onsite.

I applied for Abbot and they wanted me to friend them on facebook so they could examine all my social contacts and I closed out of the application

override367 on
  • Options
    [Michael][Michael] Registered User regular
    It makes no sense to call something 2015 edition when you haven't finalized 25% of it yet.

What the fuck are you doing medicare?

We've written up a few features, and some of them are already going to have to change, because the MU requirements / certification tests have changed since we last checked it. We have to start now anyhow, because we're a relatively small shop, and we can't start when they finalize it, if they ever do. We'd never get done in time.

So we push back features people actually want.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    templewulf wrote: »

They call it terminal because it's dying.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

Just..

None of it helps them do what they wanted to do. And the things they designed to help them do what they want to do are nonsensically described in their test cases. The only standardization is fucking snomed and even that is a crapshoot because there's 18 different terms for the same thing, each with their own unique SNOMed so you can't even track clinical health statistics and track populations because each provider is going to use a different term.

It makes me angry we have to certify. I've had to rip out a lot of our EHR technology because they keep changing their mind how to do it every year. We were halfway through the 2014 certification but it's only good for the rest of this year, if you plan to start reporting next year you need 2015 certification (oh and they're 2-3 years behind on the year numbers too). And the 2015 stuff changed a whole bunch of the stuff.

So not only do you have to parse their shitty XML system, but you need to detect errors and recover from them.. but that's not how XML is designed or implemented in like any system.

As someone who has developed and deployed medical software that was used for well over a decade to help doctors in highly critical patient treatment scenarios... we all knew what meaningful use means;

It was a way to raise the pricetag of participating in the medical software market out of the small and medium businesses, and give sloppy blowjobs to the Epics and Allscrips of the world.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »

Just..

As someone who has developed and deployed medical software that was used for well over a decade to help doctors in highly critical patient treatment scenarios... we all knew what meaningful use means;

It was a way to raise the pricetag of participating in the medical software market out of the small and medium businesses, and give sloppy blowjobs to the Epics and Allscrips of the world.

100% this.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    ~ look who just guessed my clients MSSQL admin password for the production environment in a single try ~

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    letmein?

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    was it p4ssw0rd?

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Honestly, letmein was the root password on a lot of production servers at a previous workplace.

They've long-since been changed but it was depressing to find out.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Worth every penny for the team 1Password. Random and unique passwords for all!

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    So I can create a CustomerDeposit via the netsuite UI. It has two required fields: Group and Department. I choose "Instrumentation Group", group ID 22 for the Group. I choose "Outside Sales", department ID 15 for the Department. Everything works.

I try to create a CustomerDeposit via the API. There is a department field, but no group field. There are, however, several other possibly related fields. Trying various combinations results in a variety of error messages.

So I check the UI help text for Department:
    Select a class to associate with this transaction.

To create a new class, select New.

For details on existing classes, go to Setup > Company > Classes.

( •̑_•̑ )

Huh. What's the help text on Group say?
    Select a department to associate with this deposit.

To create a new department, select New.

For details on existing departments, go to Setup > Company > Departments.

( >_< )

• Options
    They probably read the unmaintainable code essay without realizing it was tongue in cheek.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    // TODO: Fix the help messages.

• Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Just read that essay for the first time.
    Åccented Letters
    Use accented characters on variable names. E.g.
    typedef struct { int i; } ínt;
    where the second ínt's í is actually i-acute. With only a simple text editor, it's nearly impossible to
    distinguish the slant of the accent mark.

(Spoilered for big, don't know if it's too big)
    evilest.gif

Jacoby on
    GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    Hey, Visual Studio 2017 is now released!

That's very meta.

The Visual Studio installer needed updating before I could start installing Visual Studio.

Weird.

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I switched over to it a few days ago, not much to report so far besides that it took a few minutes to get all my projects loading because they relocated some of the SDK target files for things like ASP.NET.

• Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    I switched over to it a few days ago, not much to report so far besides that it took a few minutes to get all my projects loading because they relocated some of the SDK target files for things like ASP.NET.

Cool!

When I first switched over to 2017 from 2015, my .NET Core projects all got switched over from project.json files to .csproj, which they were warning about for a while.

So far, it all "Just Works (tm)", which I appreciate.

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Speaking of that earlier talk about events, this IRC server I'm writing is an excellent example of when I want to use it - which I'm not currently doing, so I'll do a pass and make it more event-driven when I've done the basic functionality.

Stuff like users joining/leaving a channel, changing their nickname etc is perfect for events.

• Options
    Well, technically done enough. Basic functionality for users and separate channels.

svia0hflqgra.jpg

• Options
    wait a minute

this is a trademark infringement

• Options
    Better lobby youtube to take all his videos down.

• Options
    Ah yes, character encoding.

C6zbP67WYAADS1H.jpg:large

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Mmf. Anyone have a good reference on data structures, visually/formally speaking? visualgo.net is pretty slick, but text other than wikipedia would be nice, too.

• Options
    Okay, visualgo.net is pretty great.

• Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Okay, visualgo.net is pretty great.
    Went into that expecting a MS/Google mashup.

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Working on multi tier dependency resolution with automatic detection for relevant artifacts...hey, actual CS work! After several months kissing customer scrapes, it's nice to work on something meaty again.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Old, but I hadn't seen it before:

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    This might be of some interest to people here. Google's compute engine has an always free usage tier now - 1 24x7 micro instance, 30 GB disk, 1 GB transfer. And their trial has changed from $300 credit to be used in a couple months to $300 to be used in a year. If you want to tinker around for free or nearly-free, that's not bad

https://cloud.google.com/free/docs/always-free-usage-limits

Phyphor on
  • Options
    An infinite number of mathematicians walk into a bar. The first one orders half a beer. The second orders a quarter beer. The third orders one eighth of a beer.

The bartender goes "I hate you" and gives them two beers.

This discussion has been closed.