As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Programming] Kafkaesque rabbits in the queue at the pub

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    Ya this is something that gets brought up every 6 months or so. @Mr_Rose has the right of it.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Came up at last boardgame night, there's another front-end dev there and when React was mentioned he brought up "isn't there some kind of scary licence crap?"

Thanks, I'll look at Cloudflare still probably.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    One year experience of hard work, and yet, I find myself unemployed.

Anbody knows any offers for remote work for developers?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »

I'm having a hard time finding work in a city that's booming for programmers.

It's strange.

10 years of experience doesn't mean shit without that bachelors degree I suppose.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

It's strange.

10 years of experience doesn't mean shit without that bachelors degree I suppose.

i find remote positions are hard to come by for newer devs.

the idea being that working remote brings inherent communication obstacles that most companies don't feel comfortable introducing unless the developer is more senior level/proven they can communicate and coordinate with a team remotely.

Also bowen, I find that interesting...what's your language(s)?

rotate.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Nogs wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

It's strange.

i find remote positions are hard to come by for newer devs.

the idea being that working remote brings inherent communication obstacles that most companies don't feel comfortable introducing unless the developer is more senior level/proven they can communicate and coordinate with a team remotely.

Also bowen, I find that interesting...what's your language(s)?

C#, C++, PHP, Java if necessary (seems a lot of companies are focusing on Java.. it's a cousin language to C#, it'd present no difficulties in learning)

Trying to move to the Denver area but I'm getting a lot of "we're looking for a different type of candidate" type replies.

It's also really hard to look for jobs without being in the area because I'm not really familiar with like... any of it. At least here I know the out of the way areas and what they do and all that.

I've got 2 headhunters helping me. But they're probably never going to turn up something, I told them that '80-90k' was a good ballpark because I'm making 60k here and it's a slightly higher CoL.

I'm assuming that they're really put off by ITT Tech on my resume, and that I'm sort of devops more than System Admin or Programmer. Great for start ups, I suppose, but pay is shit at start ups.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Do you have the word 'DevOps' on your resume? Do you have experience with Docker/Containers/Continuous Integration/Chef?

Because if you put those words on your resume and can even kind of back it up, you should be able to find a job.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    Nogs wrote: »
    Do you have the word 'DevOps' on your resume? Do you have experience with Docker/Containers/Continuous Integration/Chef?

Because if you put those words on your resume and can even kind of back it up, you should be able to find a job.

Nope.

I want to get away from devops. I hate system admin.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Those moments when you're manipulating a list of string parameters to put in an IN statement in SQL and you throw in a couple of random line breaks because it's wrapping and you've divided it perfectly into thirds.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    what is your experience with professional development as a frogram

in my past non technical job, we were encouraged to seek out a professional conference to attend once a year or so

conferences might be put on my professional organizations, or by other organizations on topics that might be of interest to someone in the field

is there something similar for programmers? organized around tech stack or domain or ... ?

or, are conferences dumb and programmers typically do professional development by ____ ?

I am newbie just trying to get a feel for how this is typically done on the tech side

• Options
    Workshops and local user groups maybe. Conferences are garbage, at best they're sales pitches, at worst they're sales pitches.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Hmm. I wonder why they're having trouble debugging the code.

MyStruct**** structArray;

Uh huh.

• Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    Depending on the sub field, technical / academic conferences can be useful but you should start by going to ones organized by ACM / IEEE instead of corporations. Personally I wouldn't list attendance of these on a resume, but they are a good way to keep informed on a field.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular

Uh huh.

I don't even do C++ anymore, and that still gives me the shivers.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    what is your experience with professional development as a frogram

in my past non technical job, we were encouraged to seek out a professional conference to attend once a year or so

conferences might be put on my professional organizations, or by other organizations on topics that might be of interest to someone in the field

is there something similar for programmers? organized around tech stack or domain or ... ?

or, are conferences dumb and programmers typically do professional development by ____ ?

I am newbie just trying to get a feel for how this is typically done on the tech side

It depends, but generally most people don't.

If you're deep into mobile, Apple WWDC or Google I/O aren't terrible ideas. MS Build might be useful if you're in cutting-edge Windows dev.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    templewulf wrote: »

Uh huh.

I don't even do C++ anymore, and that still gives me the shivers.

Funny thing. The C standard has no upper limit on the level of pointers allowed. The compiler may impose a limit but the only requirement is a lower limit of 12.

• Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    My opinion is that one goes to conferences not for the actual presentations(which will always be very uneven), but to talk to people. As many as possible. What are they working on, what are they using, how etc. See if you share problems, pain points, directions, resolutions. If you are going with the idea to "learn" it will most likely not happen, but you may get an interesting contact for a future project, you can put a face behind a library you are using and discuss a roadmap etc. It's a very good pulse check of a community. I'll be at Euroclojure & dotGO in the fall, if any of you guys are going, ping me!

• Options
    who needs conferences when you've got PA

• Options
    I dunno, ReactConf was a career highlight for me.

Learned a ton, met a lot of very smart people that actually led to a job interview(didnt take it), AND i got to drunkenly sing karaoke with the react core team/creators

rotate.jpg
  • Options
    Phyphor wrote: »
    My bad, ignore the CRTP portion of it. This is a simplified version of what I'm trying to do
    struct a {};
    struct b { a foo; };
    struct c : public a {};

template<T, a T::*> struct thing;
    thing<b, &b::foo> this_works;
    thing<c, ???> this_who_knows;

however I think I have to create a second thing template to handle it

Came back to this problem today, and I agree it looks like you need a second template to handle the problem. You could most likely create a single class that handles both, by using enable_if to fire off the specialization for when you don't have a data-member of the correct type.

• Options
    Also I fully agree on @zeeny summary of conferences. I also find that conferences actually refresh my desire to work on projects.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    my boss asked me today if I would be interested in being the scrum master for our team

I am brand spankin new (~3 mo?) but it seems like it'd be good experience to have so I said that I would be interested if it didn't take a lot of time away from actual coding

there is a different person who wants to do it, but he thinks would not be suited, so I guess we'll see how it pans out either way

still, nice to be asked I guess!

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    my boss asked me today if I would be interested in being the scrum master for our team

I am brand spankin new (~3 mo?) but it seems like it'd be good experience to have so I said that I would be interested if it didn't take a lot of time away from actual coding

there is a different person who wants to do it, but he thinks would not be suited, so I guess we'll see how it pans out either way

still, nice to be asked I guess!

I spent about a year and a half as my old team's scrum master. Let me know if you have any specific questions!

• Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Naturally assuming scrum masters? Good.
    Rotating duty scrum masters? Good.
    Asking somebody to be a scrum master? I'd rather not.

YMMV.

Edit: This assumes you *are* doing scrum of course, if you are just calling it scrum, ergo, calling it scrum master, then anything works!

zeeny on
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Nothing I like more than coming in to clean up someone else's project after it's taken 3 times as long to finish as estimated.

Especially when I already said it was going to be a mess since they had no experience with the tech and should've been a pair project.

Edit: Fucking hell. The only reason this thing compiles is he commented out most of the actual code.

Haha.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    Nothing I like more than coming in to clean up someone else's project after it's taken 3 times as long to finish as estimated.

Especially when I already said it was going to be a mess since they had no experience with the tech and should've been a pair project.

Edit: Fucking hell. The only reason this thing compiles is he commented out most of the actual code.

Haha.

There is currently no reaction button adequate to express my real life reaction.

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Well, i finally did it. Finally paid for my sublime text and stopped abusing the evaluation period.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Well, i finally did it. Finally paid for my sublime text and stopped abusing the evaluation period.

It takes a while for the "ctrl-s, esc" reflex to wear off, but it's so worth it

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    Alright. If I'm going to fix the code I'm asking for a liquor budget.

Because gems like this:
    int* result = (int*)malloc(sizeof(int));
    //Pass result into a library call
    int value = (int)result;

Are going to drive me to drinking.

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular

Because gems like this:
    int value = (int)result;

So value is a memory address? Man, if only we had some way to represent those...

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016

Because gems like this:
    int value = (int)result;

whatthe.jpg

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Who needs 64-bit compatibility anyway?

• Options

Because gems like this:
    int value = (int)result;

You know

On certain platforms, that would truncate the pointer value, because sizeof(int) < sizeof(int *)...

Which I'm sure you're aware of.

So will that be scotch or whiskey to start the day with? Vodka? Absinthe?

• Options
    That's the code of someone who doesn't understand pointers and keeps throwing * in front of shit until the compiler shuts up.

• Options
    But sometimes he does dereference the pointers correctly. Usually when it's a double or float that would pop a compiler error.

It's like he wrote this all in C# and then tried to use search and replace.

• Options
    but like

but

that's still pretty easy?!

• Options
    But sometimes he does dereference the pointers correctly. Usually when it's a double or float that would pop a compiler error.

It's like he wrote this all in C# and then tried to use search and replace.

Bwah?

D:

I am sending you my sympathies.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Scrap it all because it obviously can't actually work?

• Options
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Scrap it all because it obviously can't actually work?

Build a funeral pyre for the code. That is the only correct solution.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Yeah, assuming you can find enough of the pointer wtfs in the code to get it up and running, how much time is that actually going to take you and how many bugs are there going to be down the road?

This discussion has been closed.