• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    All of the trees within my line of sight could do with a little watering

Too big a job for me, I'm afraid

Mother Nature, this one's on you

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    i might be having a manic episode.

I feel super confident and pumped and happy.

Good thing i'm seeing my shrink in two weeks. i'll tell him.

IDK.

Is it bad that I kinda wanna stay a bit bipolar if only for the manic episodes?
    That's the bipolar paradox. Part of mania is feeling like mania is a good thing. It isn't though.

lol but how else will i get these manuscripts written and these samples analyzed if i dont have days where i work myself to exhaustion because im riding the high

*ignores the days wasted on forums because i just cant even pipette*

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    @credeiki

Actually, can you tell me a quick thing?

Bipolar disorder... the highs last more than a couple hours, right? Highs are, like, a couple days/weeks, right?

because i thiiiiiink... i might just be jittery because of coffee right now.

That would explain why i'm "manic" mostly on Friday evenings... i always have an iced Capp on fridays after work.

and pretty much never at any other time.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    MY TUMMY

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Sometimes I feel good but sometimes I feel bad

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    "writes up to 1 mile" makes perfect sense for a pen but also makes me go :rotate:

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Now that I think about it, I haven't been provided with any pens by my current employer

I am vaguely aware that there is a stationery cupboard somewhere

Maybe it has pens

japan I have a very expensive pen (like a couple hundo dollars?!) my old boss gave me as a present and I have never used it once

does this make you angry y/y

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii'm pretty sure i'm bipolar but i can't seem to carve out time to go to a therapist/psychologist to get tested and my family has a history of substance abuse problems which has caused a deep-seated mistrust of psychological medication

lol

yeah, i definitely have manic periods and presshuns periods but i dunno i have this weird idea in my head that like "oh it's not so bad, i could be worse"

which is really just an excuse not to do anything about it

but also it doesn't really ruin my life or anything i just, like, lose contact with friends and waste a lot of my life doing nothing

i dont know if it IS manic depression but i have days where i go and write 20k words for a dissertation without even thinking about and then there are days where i literally can barely get out of bed and i cry a lot

lol
    the academic experience does mirror bipolar is a lot of ways
    I have also worried that I have it
    but there is also a natural fluctuation in mood

I know I have depression and anxiety. So I can never tell if I am manic or if my depression just isn't there anymore.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    PUT FOOD IN IT

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    Sometimes I feel good but sometimes I feel bad

you're probably an introvert

or maybe mormon

• Options
    Oh 21st, I love you

I don't know about your mania or your depression, but I can definitely diagnose you with an anxiety disorder :P.

• Options
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    PUT FOOD IN IT

this is my solution to most things

• Options
    As an armchair psychologist, you have never seemed like a bipolar person 21st.
    Is this a self diagnosis?

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii'm pretty sure i'm bipolar but i can't seem to carve out time to go to a therapist/psychologist to get tested and my family has a history of substance abuse problems which has caused a deep-seated mistrust of psychological medication

lol

yeah, i definitely have manic periods and presshuns periods but i dunno i have this weird idea in my head that like "oh it's not so bad, i could be worse"

which is really just an excuse not to do anything about it

but also it doesn't really ruin my life or anything i just, like, lose contact with friends and waste a lot of my life doing nothing

i dont know if it IS manic depression but i have days where i go and write 20k words for a dissertation without even thinking about and then there are days where i literally can barely get out of bed and i cry a lot

lol
    the academic experience does mirror bipolar is a lot of ways
    I have also worried that I have it
    but there is also a natural fluctuation in mood

I know I have depression and anxiety. So I can never tell if I am manic or if my depression just isn't there anymore.

same.

• Options
    Sometimes I feel bad but sometimes I feel bad

• Options
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    PUT FOOD IN IT

I was ao worried this was gonna be about farts / pooping

• Options
    Sometimes I feel bad but sometimes I feel bad

Sometimes I feel bad but sometimes I feel farty

• Options
    "writes up to 1 mile" makes perfect sense for a pen but also makes me go :rotate:

like if you get rocketed high into the sky, you will suffocate but you will be able to pen a last note to your loved ones before you expire

• Options
    As an armchair psychologist, you have never seemed like a bipolar person 21st.
    Is this a self diagnosis?

Yes, totes.

i just notice right now that i'm super confident and my mind is racing and i feel super great.

and for once, I'm like "Wait, this isn't like me, maybe mania? i'm already depressive and anxious, might as well be the trifecta".

i'm gonna talk to my shrink when i see him in two weeks, though. 100%.

i'm starting to think this isn't bipolar disorder but just me being hopped up on caffeine though. LOL.

• Options

like if you get rocketed high into the sky, you will suffocate but you will be able to pen a last note to your loved ones before you expire

wait that is like a totally different thing from what i was thinking

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Now that I think about it, I haven't been provided with any pens by my current employer

Maybe it has pens

japan I have a very expensive pen (like a couple hundo dollars?!) my old boss gave me as a present and I have never used it once

Not really?

I'm just picky about pens

I'm only just realising that it's never even occurred to me to try and get pens from work, on the assumption that they'll be shit

• Options
    do most pens not work in denver?

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

You'd need a really long arm

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Or a person. People feel good and bad, sometimes they feel squishy.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Not depression can sometimes feel like a mania of sorts. I wonder if that is a thing.

• Options
    in 10 min I will demo a bug fix to the rest of my team

do you think they will hoist me on their shoulders and parade me around the office

• Options
    RonTheDMRonTheDM Yes, yes Registered User regular
    The time has come ... to lose

• Options

I think if you were a mile up you'd mostly be fine

Your biggest concern at that point would be gravity doing what she always does

• Options

no your thing is right I was just making funny

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

do you think they will hoist me on their shoulders and parade me around the office

they will hoist you on your own petard

sig.gif
  • Options

probably

you'll be like a tall rudy

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

Or cut you up and feed you to the dogs

• Options

Maybe it has pens

Not really?

I'm just picky about pens

I'm only just realising that it's never even occurred to me to try and get pens from work, on the assumption that they'll be shit

well now I'm not getting any enjoyment out of this pen thanks japan

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Please folks if you are ever calling to pay a bill, have your credit card in hand PLEASE!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

they will hoist you on your own petard

no I am pretty sure I will receive a promotion to vp of software development

• Options

no your thing is right I was just making funny

pens are v confusing

• Options
    LOL
    Foods and Drinks You Should Ditch

The fundamentals of a healthy diet include not just what to eat, but also what not to eat. Consider skipping these choices that could worsen your bipolar symptoms:
    1. Caffeine

“Stimulants can trigger mania and should be avoided,” Fiedorowicz says. “Caffeine is an underappreciated trigger and can also impair sleep,” and sleep deprivation is a notorious trigger for bipolar mood swings and mania, he says.

The National Sleep Foundation points out that caffeine can increase irritability and anxiety, in addition to affecting sleep, and recommends avoiding caffeine as you approach bedtime. Fiedorowicz adds that some over-the-counter medications — such as pseudoephedrine, which is found in some cough and cold medications — have stimulant properties similar to caffeine and can also trigger bipolar mood swings.
    2. Alcohol

Bottom line: Alcohol and bipolar disorder make a bad combination. Alcohol can negatively affect bipolar mood swings and may also interact negatively with medications such as lithium, according to the National Institutes of Health Clinical Center (NIHCC). People with bipolar disorder are also more likely to die prematurely if they use alcohol or other substances, according to an analysis of data that included more than 11,000 people with bipolar disorder published in the September 2015 issue of The Lancet Psychiatry.
    3. Sugar

Eating a diet high in sugar can make it harder to control weight, and obesity — including related belly fat — may make some bipolar disorder drug treatments less effective, according to results of a multicenter study published in the June 2015 issue of Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica. If you need to satisfy a sweet tooth, reach for fruit.
    4. Salt

If you’re on lithium, moderating salt intake can be tricky, because a change in salt intake — either a sudden increase or a decrease — can affect lithium levels, according to the NIHCC. Talk with your doctor about how to safely manage the salt in your diet to stay within a healthy range. The American Heart Association recommends consuming less than 1,500 milligrams a day. Equally important when taking lithium is to make sure you drink enough fluids: Dehydration can cause dangerous side effects, Fiedorowicz cautions.
    5. Fat

Fiedorowicz suggests following the heart-healthy recommendations from the American Heart Association to limit the amount of saturated fat and trans fat in your diet. That means opting for lean protein and low-fat dairy products when choosing animal products. You might have heard that the fat in foods could alter the way your body uses medications: Generally, your medications will still be effective, but eating a lot of fried, fatty foods just isn’t good for your heart? And remember that the oils used for frying are high in the omega-6 fatty acids you want to avoid.

From "http://www.everydayhealth.com/bipolar-disorder/the-five-worst-foods-for-bipolar-disorder.aspx"

i love that.

It's like, "5 foods that can trigger manic/depressive episode: Caffeine, Alcohol... everything else."

• Options
    Bipolar II has always kind of sounded like : the human condition.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    my kitchen is awful for doing things in.
    i need a much larger kitchen that i can destroy

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Please folks if you are ever calling to pay a bill, have your credit card in hand PLEASE!

My what

They don't trust me with those anymore

This discussion has been closed.