Options

You've Been Challenged to a [Chat]-Off!

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    I am gearing up for a housing gambit.
    They tried to get us to renew our lease 4 months into the lease (12 month lease) (bumped up rent 200 bucks also). We said no. They said they would start showing the apartment. I said good luck, you have to give us notice every single time you do. Verbally negotiated a one year renewal at the same rate. Coming up to the end of our lease. Will be interesting to see if they keep their word or not.

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Trust me, it's Blue Danube.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    @Sir Landshark BSG is one of the few TV shows I have watched. I saw 3.5 seasons of it, stopping not because it was bad, but because I got super-ill during it and then the thought of watching the rest made me antsy. Plus when I think about committing to a 45 minute episode I somehow never want to.
    It's really, really good, including the 3-4th seasons. And a very big proportion of the actors and actresses are extremely, extremely hot. I guess mostly Starbuck, Boomer, Helo, um what's his callsign Lee Adama, also Kara Thrace's husband, also six, ummmm, also the president's aide in the later seasons, and maybe that's it but like overall just such an attractive cast, and good actors too.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Raising rent is so dumb. I understand a small increase. But we live in the rustbelt. Also, would you rather have a good set of tenants for another year who pay every month on time and haven't destroyed the property or would you like to gamble everything? IDGI

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Doctor is gonna greet me with "Good morning"

And I will glance at my watch and, as smarmily as possible, reply "Good afternoon, doctor"

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I was a landlord for a while. It's stupid how much irrational stress you put on yourself. 0/10, would never lord land again.

yeah

everyone talks about it like it is no big deal

before we moved from portland sarah was like we should just buy a place here and someone else will pay our mortgage and &c

and I was like uh I have no desire to deal with landlord shit

• Options
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I ate red meat for the first time in a while last night, and also got a little soused at father's day celebration

Today I have just... just apocalyptic gas. It's like a haunted tuba crying out in agony. I burble volcanically in any posture.

I got drunker than I ever have been (which, to be clear, was mild motor impairment and a desire to dance with gf) last night and my gut is not happy today. I'm not totally sure if they're related, but it would make sense.

Even having one or two drinks now destroys my guts the next day. Price of being old.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    its ode to joy

It is not

It is a super well-known piece, though. Like I can almost think of the Looney Tunes cartoon it was in, because it was definitely in one.

I'm going to be embarrassed when I figure it out.

Blue Danube

Kill the Wabbit

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    I like when your landlord raises your rent, and then you move out, and you see them advertising the apartment for what your lease was 8 years ago.

Why didn't you just keep my lease at what it was when I first started renting instead of making me move out?

Are you fucking stupid, landlord?

...yes?

You see this all the time with commercial real-estate as well. Around here there have been several instances where grocery store chains decided not to renew their lease after the landlord raised the rent, so the grocery store just up and left leaving the landlord with an empty building for months without any renters.

There's a place here in North Syracuse. It used to be this little shop that sold Syracuse specific stuff and ice cream.

The landlords decided to double the rent, claiming that the rent they were giving this business was an introductory one.

They left.

That was nearly 8 years ago.

It still sits vacant.

Motherfucking stupid asses.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Nice landlords exist. But the tenants they rent to either never leave or abuse the fuck out of them until they turn evil or give up renting.

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    I was a landlord for a while. It's stupid how much irrational stress you put on yourself. 0/10, would never lord land again.

yeah

before we moved from portland sarah was like we should just buy a place here and someone else will pay our mortgage and &c

it's the fucking worst

the good tenants you never interact with, and the bad tenants are all from a cartoon universe where humanity, dignity, and kindness are unknown

"I want new appliances"
    "what's wrong with the ones you have"
    "they're too dirty to use"
    "..."
    "so when will you give me my new appliances, fucko?"

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Ah ol' Jonny Brom. Get those strings and brass yo.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    credeiki wrote: »
    I ate red meat for the first time in a while last night, and also got a little soused at father's day celebration

Today I have just... just apocalyptic gas. It's like a haunted tuba crying out in agony. I burble volcanically in any posture.

I got drunker than I ever have been (which, to be clear, was mild motor impairment and a desire to dance with gf) last night and my gut is not happy today. I'm not totally sure if they're related, but it would make sense.

Even having one or two drinks now destroys my guts the next day. Price of being old.

I never drank when young, so I don't really have a point of comparison! I had probably 40ml of ethanol over a couple of hours, for what that's worth.

(gf laughed and then forcibly kissed me when I took a break from dancing because I had to calculate the volume of ethanol required to get ideal drunkenness, then looked up the enzyme kinetics (ethanol has a low ceiling, so it's linear, rather than exponential decay! Fascinating))

• Options
    Raising rent is so dumb. I understand a small increase. But we live in the rustbelt. Also, would you rather have a good set of tenants for another year who pay every month on time and haven't destroyed the property or would you like to gamble everything? IDGI

DOUBLE OR NOTHING PUT IT ALL ON RED

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    I'm also glad it's not like a Mozart symphony or something. Like, I'm sure everybody recognizes that piece, but I bet a lot of people didn't know it was by Brahms or that it's called Hungarian Dance No. 5.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Being a landlord is great if you can guarantee good tenants, which means like 1) it's someone you know and trust and 2) you have lived with them and seen their tenancy habits.

That's hard to do. I always liked the idea of parents with some money buying a rental unit and renting it to their kids. Then, if they're shitty, you have a whole emotional infrastructure set up to shame and manipulate them already.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    This thing with having landlords being individuals is just so weird to me as a Swedistani.

My landlord is a big faceless corporation, like God intended.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

you idiot red came up 10 times in a row put it on black

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

because I had to calculate the volume of ethanol required to get ideal drunkenness, then looked up the enzyme kinetics (ethanol has a low ceiling, so it's linear, rather than exponential decay! Fascinating))

This is how you someone is an out of control raging party monster

Slow it down there, crazy

• Options

Hello, I am your new tenant. I burned down the bathroom and also keep my raccoons in here. You never said I couldn't have raccoons.

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular

hawt

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

This is something else that boggled my mind because it's not the best economic call. If you have a good renter that always pays on time and doesn't destroy the place you keep them as long as possible because it's far better than most alternatives. It's the difference between playing the high risk/high reward of the stock market (by raising rent and hoping your current renter will acquiesce/you'll find a new renter soon) and investing in a fund that gives you a reasonable and consistent rate of return (by keeping a good renter).

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options

Hello, I am your new tenant. I burned down the bathroom and also keep my raccoons in here. You never said I couldn't have raccoons.

LET IT RIDE

• Options
    I like where I live now. They leave me alone, I don't break shit. I fix shit as it breaks as best as I can (and call them when I can't).

They don't do yearly inspections.

Or the weird like quarterly inspections of my last place.

But it's hyper fucking expensive.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    (I am going to vegas this weekend and then I will be very rich and will quit my job and live off my winnings)

• Options
    (I am going to vegas this weekend and then I will be very rich and will quit my job and live off my winnings)
    I highly recommend the Lord Of The Rings Slots Machines in any form. The ones with the big racecar chairs are the best though. I made all my winnings off it. BF lost it all in craps.

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular

I never drank when young, so I don't really have a point of comparison! I had probably 40ml of ethanol over a couple of hours, for what that's worth.

(gf laughed and then forcibly kissed me when I took a break from dancing because I had to calculate the volume of ethanol required to get ideal drunkenness, then looked up the enzyme kinetics (ethanol has a low ceiling, so it's linear, rather than exponential decay! Fascinating))

There's happy drunks, sad drunks, mean drunks, and now apparently nerdy science drunks?

Bravo. My brain checks out intellectually just thinking about getting drunk.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    desc wrote: »

because I had to calculate the volume of ethanol required to get ideal drunkenness, then looked up the enzyme kinetics (ethanol has a low ceiling, so it's linear, rather than exponential decay! Fascinating))

This is how you someone is an out of control raging party monster

Slow it down there, crazy

The ideal amount is ~=20ml for me, I think

Doing the math in my head (% EtOH * tablespoons volume(converted to ml) * % of drink consumed) was perhaps something that would have been easier had I not been drinking

• Options
    DoctorArch wrote: »

This is something else that boggled my mind because it's not the best economic call. If you have a good renter that always pays on time and doesn't destroy the place you keep them as long as possible because it's far better than most alternatives. It's the difference between playing the high risk/high reward of the stock market (by raising rent and hoping your current renter will acquiesce/you'll find a new renter soon) and investing in a fund that gives you a reasonable and consistent rate of return (by keeping a good renter).

You'd be better off with a <5% raise in rent, tbh. "Keeping up with the market" also means the market can crash. But they hardly ever want to admit that the place they were renting for $1000 a month and tried to bully a tenant into a $1500 a month is suddenly only worth $650 a month.

• Options
    also this vegas trip is for my friend's birthday otherwise I would not go because vegas sux

AND it is going to be like 120*

my only desire out of this trip is to go to that one bar where they give you a giant coat and the bar is kept at freezing temperature and you drink out of ice shaped like glasses

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    My last landlord, heh were my actual last landlord, were good. Responsive. Nice. Young couple who inherited the house. But the problem was they weren't good about how to replace people when folks moved out. They would just grab whoever offered them the money first.

This basically drove out their two longest running tenants who cleaned and maintained the house due to a string of bad tenants they kept putting in. It was just stupid of them.

But now I own my place.

Fuck paying someone else mortgage.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

"it says no pets"
    "THEY'RE NOT PETS!"

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

at very least elope with a cocktail waitress as god intended

• Options

There is an episode of Sherlock where they do approximately this and it is very cute also.

Couldn't tell you how much 40 ml of ethanol is but I can say that having like, some whiskey (less than "a drink"'s worth) and a cider has been enough to make my guts churn the next day. In his recovery state, husband also now appears to be sensitive to a single beer, gutwise.

• Options
    Oh man now I wanna go back and play that slot machine again.
    I have a gambling problem but like the kind where you poop your pants and never leave the casino. Not the kind where you gamble away your house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGzAmr3c8kg

• Options
    navgoose wrote: »

There's happy drunks, sad drunks, mean drunks, and now apparently nerdy science drunks?

Bravo. My brain checks out intellectually just thinking about getting drunk.

This is absolutely unsurprising, if you know me

I spent a portion of time trying to figure out the degree of what manner of impairments, and commented that I was interested by the clear motor impairments with a lack of correspondingly powerful cognitive and perceptual impairments.

If I did not have a dancing girl in a pretty dress I would have looked up various motor tasks and performed them to gauge the actual degree of impairment.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

yeah

it's the fucking worst

the good tenants you never interact with, and the bad tenants are all from a cartoon universe where humanity, dignity, and kindness are unknown

"I want new appliances"
    "what's wrong with the ones you have"
    "they're too dirty to use"
    "..."
    "so when will you give me my new appliances, fucko?"

I was really good friends with our landlord during grad school (still am!). One time he told me about one of his other renters (one of my neighbors) who complained about the spiders in the trees around the house and how they kept getting inside. Note, this was Western Oregon, so spiders are kind of a thing you're going to experience if there are any trees/vegetation/anything around the house.

The renter wanted the landlord to fumigate, both inside and outside.

The landlord said "It's Oregon. In the summer. Deal with it."

So the tenant went out and paid 2K to get his house and everything immediately around it sprayed for spiders.

He was complaining about the spiders returning after less than a month.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I highly recommend the Lord Of The Rings Slots Machines in any form. The ones with the big racecar chairs are the best though. I made all my winnings off it. BF lost it all in craps.

Do they still have "Little Lucy" slot machines? Those were the best. But that was 11 years ago...

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

There is an episode of Sherlock where they do approximately this and it is very cute also.

Couldn't tell you how much 40 ml of ethanol is but I can say that having like, some whiskey (less than "a drink"'s worth) and a cider has been enough to make my guts churn the next day. In his recovery state, husband also now appears to be sensitive to a single beer, gutwise.

alcohol kills me now

the refluxxxxx

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
This discussion has been closed.