• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    My boss asked me to stay late cus other people are off sick

Abolish the wage system

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    oh nope this site is just showing me high and low, so it was about 75ish

well that's not so bad, carry on

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Waiting to be discharged. I can't drink coffee or Gatorade and I have to chug 2 liters of water a day for a week, or exercise at all. I'm going to be a sleepy, peepee, lumpy girl

But at least I didn't die right

no coffee?

HAKKES THEYRE TRYING TO KILL YOU

That's going to be so hard. How will I poop??

You ... Won't ...

RIP

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    So the latest hotness on my FB is this clip from some metal looking british? comedian talking about how being offended is some bullshit. It's a funny bit. But goddamn are folks posting this thing all the time now.

I know the clip and it was funny the first time I saw it, but..people have adopted it as an excuse to be shitty so, it's not really very funny anymore

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Why is my favorite hockey aficionado sick?
    What have you done to her?!

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I mean to everyone that doesn't want to stay inside, yolo or whatever, your body.

Heat stroke is dangerous though.

Kidney's shutting down and being on dialysis is garbage and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Ludious wrote: »
    cptrugged wrote: »
    So the latest hotness on my FB is this clip from some metal looking british? comedian talking about how being offended is some bullshit. It's a funny bit. But goddamn are folks posting this thing all the time now.

I know the clip and it was funny the first time I saw it, but..people have adopted it as an excuse to be shitty so, it's not really very funny anymore

Outrage ... What's up with that?

*canned laughter*

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Heat stroke sounds dangerous af.

Happy to live in the ice nation now.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Trace wrote: »
    Waiting to be discharged. I can't drink coffee or Gatorade and I have to chug 2 liters of water a day for a week, or exercise at all. I'm going to be a sleepy, peepee, lumpy girl

Maybe cool it on the marathons.

Take up swimming!
    It was only a 10k...y'all giving me way too much credit....

It was also literally a million degrees out!

*hug* I am happy you are okay, Hakkes

You are like the 432nd most enticing reason to visit NYC

Top 500, easy

It wasn't THAT hot. Like, 70 degrees

But there was very little shade on the course, it was a bit humid, and again....I didn't hydrate properly

Wasn't it pushing 90 on Saturday?

Not in the AM. though the race started a lot later than I would typically run. Official start time was 8:30 but my corral didn't get to start until 8:45 at least. It's about the time the sun stops being oblique and starts being a raging ball of direct fuck you

I had on a ton of sunscreen though so my beautiful skin remains so

Looks like it was about 83 at 9:00 am.

Shiiiiiit

Well the NYRR race report has it at 66 degrees 59% humidity. Which seems right.

Internal body heat is not directly related to the ambient temperature tho. How direct the Suns rays are is also important

It wasn't that hot that this should have happened to me. It's on me for underestimating my hydration and overestimating my ability

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »

until you get frostbite

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    hockey guy has nothing to fear but hockey guy herself
    - City of Hoboken. 2016

Bless your heart.
  • Options

Take up swimming!

Top 500, easy

But there was very little shade on the course, it was a bit humid, and again....I didn't hydrate properly

Not in the AM. though the race started a lot later than I would typically run. Official start time was 8:30 but my corral didn't get to start until 8:45 at least. It's about the time the sun stops being oblique and starts being a raging ball of direct fuck you

Shiiiiiit

Internal body heat is not directly related to the ambient temperature tho. How direct the Suns rays are is also important

It wasn't that hot that this should have happened to me. It's on me for underestimating my hydration and overestimating my ability

I've always wondered, how do runners stay hydrated? Running backpacks filled with water/gatorade?

• Options
    TTODewback wrote: »
    - City of Hoboken. 2016

I've been to Hoboken like

Twice

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    - City of Hoboken. 2016

Twice

you ain't missing much

• Options
    - City of Hoboken. 2016

Twice

And they still have nightmares.
    Joe Biden has an eye on you.

A creepy perverted eye

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Hoboken is actually a misspelling of the small group of homeless-railrider cosplayers

• Options

Take up swimming!

Top 500, easy

Shiiiiiit

I've always wondered, how do runners stay hydrated? Running backpacks filled with water/gatorade?

You drink a lot of water the day before (I didn't) and before the race (I didn't) and you fucking drink at all the damn aide stations on every mile of the course that they put out to make sure this doesn't happen (I didn't)

• Options

Take up swimming!

Top 500, easy

Shiiiiiit

You drink a lot of water the day before (I didn't) and before the race (I didn't) and you fucking drink at all the damn aide stations on every mile of the course that they put out to make sure this doesn't happen (I didn't)

surprised you didn't make the news

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Honk wrote: »

until you get frostbite

Eh I just saw it off, I have two of most things.

Penises for instance, I could do with one.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    camelback bladders are also really cool but i think mainly hikers use them, not urban folk

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    I still feel like I'm not grasping the gravity of what happened

108 is just an abstract temperature to me. I'm not a doctor. I don't associate that with "immediate organ failure"

I'm just bummed that what was supposed to be a fun, SHORT race ended up as a 3 day hospital stay tethered to an IV and a serious setback to all my gains

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular

Take up swimming!

Top 500, easy

Shiiiiiit

I am definitely guilty of disrespecting proper hydration on runs, but I will seriously from now on pay more attention to it after hearing about this ordeal.

I hope the doc at least wrote you a prescription for at least a few days of just like total Umaru mode while you recover, time to catch up on some vidya

• Options
    camelback bladders are also really cool but i think mainly hikers use them, not urban folk

It's how I get blind drunk on museum tours

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

Camelbacks are the hot shit for con goers now as well. But they tend to put drank in there.

• Options
    edited June 2016

108 is just an abstract temperature to me. I'm not a doctor. I don't associate that with "immediate organ failure"

I'm just bummed that what was supposed to be a fun, SHORT race ended up as a 3 day hospital stay tethered to an IV and a serious setback to all my gains

Well
    Lessons learned
    I'm not sure what lessons
    But some of them were learned

You're not you when you're dying of heat exhaustion
    Break into a Snickers

<3<3<3

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options

Take up swimming!

Top 500, easy

Shiiiiiit

surprised you didn't make the news

No apparently there were a bunch of other people from the race in the hospital too

Although the only thing I heard about one of them is that one of them is 48

So I'm as hale and hearty as a person nearly twice my age

• Options

Hydration bladders are life

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Just be glad you lived Hakkes, shit could have gone a lot worse.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

I'm glad you're alive first and foremost

but I am also glad I didn't have to get like 20 airbrushed tshirts with your face on it and something like "Gone 2 soon" and a tupac quote

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I am gearing up for a housing gambit.
    They tried to get us to renew our lease 4 months into the lease (12 month lease) (bumped up rent 200 bucks also). We said no. They said they would start showing the apartment. I said good luck, you have to give us notice every single time you do. Verbally negotiated a one year renewal at the same rate. Coming up to the end of our lease. Will be interesting to see if they keep their word or not.

There is no such thing as a verbal agreement. Good luck...

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    I am gearing up for a housing gambit.
    They tried to get us to renew our lease 4 months into the lease (12 month lease) (bumped up rent 200 bucks also). We said no. They said they would start showing the apartment. I said good luck, you have to give us notice every single time you do. Verbally negotiated a one year renewal at the same rate. Coming up to the end of our lease. Will be interesting to see if they keep their word or not.

There is no such thing as a verbal agreement. Good luck...

What about pinky swears?

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Fuuuuuck everything right now

I hate work

I hate it hate it hate it hate it

• Options

108 is where the proteins that hold together your cellular structure start to denature

good luck running marathons with no cells

you need cells

science 101 108

• Options

but I am also glad I didn't have to get like 20 airbrushed tshirts with your face on it and something like "Gone 2 soon" and a tupac quote

Who is tupac is he that hologram guy

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    To be fair on a 10k I normally don't drink either. I just drink 0.5l about 30mins before running and otherwise live normally. I know I lose around 0.5l / fluid per 5k in normal weather.
    On the 21k's I did I definitely drank, but only a little. In training you have to carry that stuff with you which isn't easy, and drinking from those cups at the side of the race requires me either slowing down or learning a new coordination skill that's really hard when you are already worn down.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options

god damn it hakks

• Options
    /posts about rappers that give beast a heart attack

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I would probably take it a bit easy for a while Hakkes. Heat stroke no joke. I am glad you are okay. Because you are awesome and who else will bring their wii to PAX? I mean who else owns a wiiu?

Really I am just glad you are okay.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

I feel like you're blaming yourself a lot more than you should.

The problem with heat stroke (not necessarily 108 degrees being particularly important other than brain damage territory) is your body can't flush waste. Which causes your body to do weird shit like break down muscles and all that. Which is really hard on your kidneys.

There's a chance that even if you had hydrated, merely because of the humidity's impact on your body's ability to regulate your temperature, you would've been in the same position. Don't beat yourself up over it too hard.

Important thing is recovery now.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    a

he's a rapper that faked his own death in the 90s and still produces music from the shadows under various pseudonyms/upcoming young artist labels

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
This discussion has been closed.