As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[pbp] Ruins of Undermountain (D&D 5e) - ADVENTURE OVER!!! Thanks for Playing!

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    OOC: Alas....I'd love to send you to your doom with that Natural 1, but your Halfling is a Lucky son of a bitch. Go ahead and reroll that.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    OOC: Alas, that was not a natural 1. It was a natural 2, which gets no reroll.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    *puts some yakety sax on*

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Oooo. Yeah. I missed that it was a 2. Not even close enough to call for a pity DEC check.

Barran's plants his foot in preparation for his big leap...except he misjudged his running approach and half of hit foot is over the edge.

Instead of providing the power to make the jump, instead he foot slides over the lip of the platform and the halfling just goes right over the edge!

He falls into the dark...hoping there is enough water at the bottom to break his fall...

@am0n - Starts a new round!
    Geth, roll 1d4 for more Stirges!

more Stirges!:
    1d4 3 [1d4=3]

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Action for the round (brief, 'cause I'm leaving my PC soon): give Sal a healing potion, keep hold of the rope, and try to protect whoever is near me from stirge attack.

Well, if we are all going to die, might as well go out with a bang. And take whomever I can with me! *evil laugh*

Seeing the halfling stumble and fall, Ay breaks into a sprint. "Hold it tight, Philo! And brace yourself! Leaping into the ravine, Ay attempts to catch Barran before he hits bottom, or at least slow his fall.

Rope is 50 feet. Assume Philo is holding 5 feet, 5 feet is wrapped around me, gives me ~40 feet of distance to try and catch Barran, maybe a little less. Hope Philo is strong!

@Steelhawk let me know what I need to roll.

am0n on
  • Options
    Geth, roll 2d4+2 for Sal's Potion of Healing

Sal's Potion of Healing:
    2d4+2 6 [2d4=3, 1]

• Options
    @am0n Give me an Acrobatics checks please, to dive over the edge and grab a Halfling!

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Round 9!

OOC: Ay can take some Inspiration from the damn fine piece of heroics! Lets hope it works!

pGMlRsn.jpg

Angus picks up the slack on the rope from Philo, freeing the human to keep defending them from the Stirges. "Keep yer shield up lad, let someone who works fer a livin' ta do the heavy liftin'!" The strong dwarf plants his feet wide, bends his knees a bit as the corded muscles in his arms and back strain to hold the weight of Ay as the heroic bastard does a swan dive over the edge of the platform

OOC: This is a much more appropriate picture, BTW, of an NPC Dwarf who only delved into Undermountain because he was that f'n drunk...
    party_dwarf_by_capprotti-d47g5pt.jpg

Up Next: Editing this Post with the result of Ay's roll and then The Stirges!!!

Stats & Current Positioning:
    Ay(G4) - AC:16, HP: 29+1/31, Ki: 1/4, HD:2/4, INSPIRATION!
    Angus(H5) - AC:12, HP:20+6/20
    Stirge 1 - DEAD
    Stirge 2 - DEAD
    Stirge 3 - DEAD
    Stirge 4 - DEAD
    Stirge 5 - DEAD
    Stirge 6 - DEAD
    Stirge 7 - DEAD
    Stirge 8 - DEAD
    Stirge 9 - DEAD
    Stirge 10 - DEAD
    Stirge 11 - DEAD
    Stirge 12 - DEAD
    Stirge 13 - DEAD
    Stirge 14 - DEAD
    Stirge 15 - DEAD
    Stirge 16 - ESCAPED WITH A FULL TUMMY
    Stirge 17 - DEAD
    Stirge 18 - DEAD
    Stirge 19(J4) - AC:14, HP: 2, Blood Drain,
    Stirge 20(J5) - AC:14, HP: 2, Blood Drain,
    Stirge 21(I6) - AC:14, HP: 2, Blood Drain,
    Stirge 22(G7) - AC:14, HP: 2, Blood Drain,
    Stirge 23(F0) - AC:14, HP: 2, Blood Drain,
    Stirge 24(M11) - AC:14, HP: 2, Blood Drain,
    Stirge 25(O4) - AC:14, HP: 2, Blood Drain,
    Barran(G5) - AC:16, HP: 24/27, Spells:-/2,
    Salazar(H6) - AC:15, HP: 6/30, Spells: -/0/0, SP: 0, PRONE BUT ALIVE!
    Dural(C2) - AC:18, HP:32/40, Spells:-/1, LoH:10/20
    Philo(I5) - AC:19, HP:34/38, 3/4 Sup. Dice,

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Barran's Life

Edit: Sorry, Barran. :(

Barran's Life:
    1d20+5 10 [1d20=5]

am0n on
  • Options
    Actually, this is Barran's life we are talking about. Did I feel inspired before or after I jumped for him? @Steelhawk =P

• Options
    am0n wrote: »

Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Barran's Life

Edit: Sorry, Barran. :(

But now you have Inspiration!

• Options
    edited June 2017
    C'mon, Geth! I won't ask for anything else for at least a few days!

Geth, roll 1d20+5 for New Shoes

Edit: A little better. Here's to hoping!

I also still have a Ki. Not sure if it has any legit mechanical benefit here, but I can normally spend it to take a dash action and double my jump distance. Or, as the description says, "...exceed my bodies' physical capabilities."

New Shoes:
    1d20+5 13 [1d20=8]

am0n on
  • Options
    Ay swan dives over the edge and arrows himself towards the Halfling below. Oh no! Ay is just a second too slow! Wrapping the rope about his forearm and wrist with one hand and stretching out as far as he can with the other for Barran to take! "Reach, Barran! REACH!!!!"

He can hear the buzz and drone of Stirges hungrily coming closer and closer, even over the wind of this passage rushing through his ears. Just a little bit more...

OOC: Aaarrgh! I set a DC of 14!

@Bursar - Please make an Acrobatics check (DC:14) of your own to some how contort yourself and catch Ay's hand!

• Options
    lol! Hey, sometimes, them's the dice! You live or die by that d20. (and Geth's generosity.)

• Options
    OOC: I know its my turn, but I kind of want to know the results of @Bursar 's catch before I post...

• Options
    What may appear to the layman as helpless flailing is actually an old trick Barran learned from an accomplished circus performer a long time ago, or so he would have you believe. Nevertheless, as Ay comes swinging in from the side, the halfling reaches out in desperation...!

(pause for dramatic effect)

Geth, roll 1d20+6 for Acrobatics

Acrobatics:
    1d20+6 14 [1d20=8]

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    (( Geth is milking this suspense for all it's worth. ))

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    It hasn't happened often, but this is one of those rare times when I wish I had taken the +2 Dex instead of Feat at Level 4. That would have given me a +6 mod instead of the +5, and I'd have gotten the 14. ;) Let's hope the halfling's stubby arms made up for my build choice!

• Options
    edited June 2017
    By the fingertips!

Barran manges to reach out and just barely hook onto Ay's outstretched hand. A loud "OOF" can be heard above as Angus takes the weight of both the Halfling, as well as the Elf ("Bah! 'Twas light as a feather, they was!" Angus would later boast in the Yawning Portal). The two solidify their bro-dom with "the nod" and Ay and Barran have only half a second before slamming into the rough stone wall only 10' above the water.

A half second after that, the Stirges descend! Luckily for the recently conscious Salazar they have deemed him either unpalatable or, likely, more easily kept for later consumption and leave him alone. It seems they like fresh blood the best!

And this time, the Stirges drink deep indeed!

Map:
    EiRS31n.jpg

Actions:
    Ay and Barran slam into the wall, each taking 1d6 damage
    Stirge 16, having drunk its fill of Philo's blood, detaches and flies off back into its nest. (already removed from the map at the top of the round)
    Stirges 19 & 20 each want their turn at the Philo fountain
    Stirge 21 takes Advantage of Angus's focus on pulling up his new friends and bites at him
    Stirge 22 dives down to G6 to Bite Barran
    Stirge 23 dives down to G3 to Bite Ay
    Stirge 24 descends to H10 on its way to find fresh meat
    Stirge 25 flies to H5 intent on biting Angus as well

Geth, roll 1d6 wall damage vs. Ay NULL!
    Geth, roll 1d6 wall damage vs. Barran
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 vs Philo
    Geth, roll 1d4+3
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 vs Philo
    Geth, roll 1d4+3
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 vs. Angus
    Geth, roll 1d4+3
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 vs. Ay
    Geth, roll 1d4+3
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 vs. Barran
    Geth, roll 1d4+3
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 vs. Angus
    Geth, roll 1d4+3

@Bursar @evilthecat @Aegis @Mongrel Idiot - You are good to go!

Ay(G4-40') - AC:16, HP: 23/31, Ki: 1/4, HD:2/4,
    Angus(H5) - AC:12, HP:20+1/20
    Stirge 1 - DEAD
    Stirge 2 - DEAD
    Stirge 3 - DEAD
    Stirge 4 - DEAD
    Stirge 5 - DEAD
    Stirge 6 - DEAD
    Stirge 7 - DEAD
    Stirge 8 - DEAD
    Stirge 9 - DEAD
    Stirge 10 - DEAD
    Stirge 11 - DEAD
    Stirge 12 - DEAD
    Stirge 13 - DEAD
    Stirge 14 - DEAD
    Stirge 15 - DEAD
    Stirge 17 - DEAD
    Stirge 18 - DEAD
    Stirge 19(J4) - AC:14, HP: 2, Blood Drain,
    Stirge 20(J5) - AC:14, HP: 2, Blood Drain,
    Stirge 21(I6) - AC:14, HP: 2, Blood Drain,
    Stirge 22(G6-40') - AC:14, HP: 2, Blood Drain,
    Stirge 23(G3-40') - AC:14, HP: 2, Blood Drain,
    Stirge 24(H10-20') - AC:14, HP: 2, Blood Drain,
    Barran(G5-40') - AC:16, HP: 12/27, Spells:-/2,
    Salazar(H6) - AC:15, HP: 6/30, Spells: -/0/0, SP: 0, PRONE BUT ALIVE!
    Philo(I5) - AC:19, HP:22/38, 3/4 Sup. Dice,

wall damage vs. Ay:
    1d6 3 [1d6=3]
    wall damage vs. Barran:
    1d6 6 [1d6=6]
    vs Philo:
    1d20+5 24 [1d20=19]
    1d4+3 5 [1d4=2]
    vs Philo:
    1d20+5 21 [1d20=16]
    1d4+3 7 [1d4=4]
    vs. Angus:
    1d20+5 13 [1d20=8]
    1d4+3 5 [1d4=2]
    vs. Ay:
    1d20+5 23 [1d20=18]
    1d4+3 7 [1d4=4]
    vs. Barran:
    1d20+5 23 [1d20=18]
    1d4+3 6 [1d4=3]
    vs. Angus:
    1d20+5 9 [1d20=4]
    1d4+3 7 [1d4=4]

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Ay manages to soften his collision with the wall, but the thud below reminds him that was happening. Looking down, he sees the halfling is still with him. "Up the rope, Barran. We better move, else we end up snacks." Just as he said it, though, two bugs started their snacking upon himself and Barran.

Edit: I assume @Steelhawk swinging into a wall wouldn't be considered "falling," would it? If so, I can reduce that damage to zero with my reaction. If not, no biggie. Just gotta save any HP I can given our precarious situation.

Edit2: Edited to reflect that Ay collided more gently with the wall. Used my Reaction to Slow Fall.

am0n on
  • Options
    am0n wrote: »
    With a thud to the wall, Ay thinks to himself, Can fall from the third story of a building and land without a scratch... but these walls sure are unpleasant. The follow up bug bite only makes it worse. Looking down, he sees the halfling is still with him. "Up the rope, Barran. We better move, else we end up snacks."

Edit: I assume @Steelhawk swinging into a wall wouldn't be considered "falling," would it? If so, I can reduce that damage to zero with my reaction. If not, no biggie. Just gotta save any HP I can given our precarious situation.

Um...I'll allow it. You are somewhat in control of this swing, So I'll say sure you do your ninja thing and brace/prepare for it.

Barran still eats it though.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    //before deciding to do anything .. are we by chance level 5? Because then I'd have a fireball and I'm preeeeetty sure that would fix all our problems ;p

on a more serious note:

what are we doing in here anyway? I recall wanting to help Angus fix the pipes. IIRC, he said there's nothing he can fix. Then the chests drew some attention and now we're being chowed on by mega mosquitos. Am I missing anything? Because running with arms flailing wildly seems like the appropriate thing to do here.

evilthecat on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    (( I'm going to give myself a bit of mental preparation before making the jump. ))

Characters
  • Options
    Barran's a little dazed by the impact against the wall, but the sharp sting of the stirge's proboscis snaps him back to reality. He grits his teeth and clambers up Ay's arm and partway up the rope.

Bonus action: Dash for distance
    Move: Climbing the rope 25 feet
    Action: Hold on tight

(Let me know if you need a Strength check for that rope climb.)

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    The plan was to pass through here. Then the light alerted the bugs. I noticed they weren't going where the chests were, and we didn't really seem to have much of a plan, so I jumped there to try and keep the bugs at bay. Now it seems that this entire room is just a trap and we should leave.

Our decision is, do we go back from whence we came, where it may still be safe/clear, and try to make our way somewhere we can rest for a bit, or do we continue forward, potentially into another trap we aren't ready for? I normally am all for moving forward, but given the state of things, I think retreat would be our best bet. We could try and rest in the spider room for a bit, since we just killed the big threats. As long as we don't dwell too long (1-2 hours to rest), we may be able to assume it is safe and that the fear of the spiders would keep other denizens of the dungeon away. Either way, continuing to sit in this room is not in our best interest, as the bugs keep coming and none of our checks so far have given us any clue on how to stop them (or if they can be stopped).

Also, once Bursar climbs up me to the rope, Aegis, I'll have a free hand to catch you. See how strong Angus really is!

• Options
    edited June 2017
    // Ok sooooo provided Sal makes it out alive: he had 1 spell before and is now at zero. I'm reaaaaally wanting to get a long rest. Regarding forward/backwards: to me, it's a question of which is more likely: that the drow will patrol to where the spiders were or did one of their number cast an alarm spell on the door. I suppose this is too meta-y, sooo I'll go toss a coin a few times and then do something.

@Steelhawk
    Ok, my options are limited; what does Salazar know about Stirges and would a minor illusion help here in anyway? I'm thinking either:
    a) something that's too tasty to resist; perhaps an auroch or the underdark version of it? Downside it isn't moving, gives off no body heat and has no pulse.
    b) something that eats stirges. A huge spider perhaps?
    c) a loud noise of something that they fear? Perhaps hissing spiders if I place the illusion in the hallway?

YOU KNOW all this talk of spiders has me thinking. Maybe the drow liked having the spiders there. To fend off exploratory stirges. And we just murdered them all. So perhaps running forwards is the better idea!?

evilthecat on
  • Options
    @evilthecat - Make an INT check to see of those ideas would work

• Options
    edited June 2017
    minion, roll 1d20+1 for smarty times

edit: d'oh!

smarty times:
    1d20+1 10 [1d20=9]

evilthecat on
  • Options
    OOC: There is really nothing that comes to mind about Stirges except that they are awful, annoying blood sucking beasts. They are territorial and breed in large numbers given enough resources.

And your still a long way to level 5.

@Bursar - you've suffered enough for this turn. Just climb.

• Options
    Salazar, completely out of it, can barely put together what's going on. There's an awful droning sound coming from somewhere and if he's honest with himself, he might just be imagining it.
    He wearily gets up and almost drunkenly stumbles towards the door they entered this room from.

commands:
    get up
    action: disengage
    move: I3

• Options
    edited June 2017
    As Salazar heads towards the eastern western door, the previously completely forgotten Neblin appears just before the door and puts his small hand on Sal's chest, stopping him, and shakes his head saying only one word. "Drow"

OOC: If you want a long rest, do not go back into Lady Zarr's stronghold after killing about half of her remaining fodder, her pets and stealing her slaves. Who knows what's forwards, but back there is nothing but angry hobgoblins and dark elves.

@Aegis @Mongrel Idiot - You two to finish the round and then we start again with @am0n & Angus

Ay(G4-40') - AC:16, HP: 23/31, Ki: 1/4, HD:2/4,
    Angus(H5) - AC:12, HP:20+1/20
    Stirge 1 - DEAD
    Stirge 2 - DEAD
    Stirge 3 - DEAD
    Stirge 4 - DEAD
    Stirge 5 - DEAD
    Stirge 6 - DEAD
    Stirge 7 - DEAD
    Stirge 8 - DEAD
    Stirge 9 - DEAD
    Stirge 10 - DEAD
    Stirge 11 - DEAD
    Stirge 12 - DEAD
    Stirge 13 - DEAD
    Stirge 14 - DEAD
    Stirge 15 - DEAD
    Stirge 17 - DEAD
    Stirge 18 - DEAD
    Stirge 19(J4) - AC:14, HP: 2, Blood Drain, Stuck into Philo
    Stirge 20(J5) - AC:14, HP: 2, Blood Drain, Stuck into Philo
    Stirge 21(I6) - AC:14, HP: 2, Blood Drain, Stuck into Angus
    Stirge 22(G6-40') - AC:14, HP: 2, Blood Drain, Stuck into Ay
    Stirge 23(G3-15') - AC:14, HP: 2, Blood Drain, Stuck into Barran
    Stirge 24(H10-20') - AC:14, HP: 2, Blood Drain,
    Barran(G5-15') - AC:16, HP: 12/27, Spells:-/2,
    Salazar(I3) - AC:15, HP: 6/30, Spells: -/0/0, SP: 0,
    Philo(I5) - AC:19, HP:22/38, 3/4 Sup. Dice,

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    east? i thought we came from the west! D:

• Options
    OOC: @Aegis - if you want to spend this turn (9) throwing your shield and hammer and backpack etc. across the gap, I will offer you Advantage on your Athletics check next turn (10). Then you'll need to spend the turn after your jump (11), assuming you make it, re-equipping your gear before being able to move on and try to escape the room on turn 12 and beyond.

So...Advantage on your jump in exchange for two extra rounds of Stirges comin' at ya.

• Options
    (( Just doublechecking if I can move diagonally to H7? I think RAW diagonal movement costs nothing extra, but I can't remember if we were going by anything different.))

Characters
  • Options
    I think RAW is tells you do whatever, but I think way back when we agreed to adopt 4E notation and 1 block = 5 feet, regardless of whether it is diagonal or not. I think we just agreed you can't move diagonally through hard corners.

• Options
    Dural can barely understand what just happened in front of him, his attention that was previously spent angrily glaring at the Stirges now captured by the spectacle of the halfling dangling by a rope. Once that's over with, he shakes his head, as if in an attempt to fix reality through sheer force of will, before gauging the distance between himself and the bridge. Walking with this chest attached to his leg has been a chore so far, and the prospect of jumping a chasm deep enough for objects to take some time to hit the bottom hasn't exactly filled Dural with confidence so far. But with circumstances continuing to not let up, Dural pushes those concerns aside and focuses on the task at hand. "Finder, guide my steps," he offers with a whisper, breaking into a run and leaping across the gap, the chest behind him loudly thudding on stone with each step.

Move: Run and jump to H7.

minion, roll 1d20+4-5 for Athletics

Athletics:
    1d20+4-5 17 [1d20=18]

Characters
  • Options
    His feet left the ground, one leg sagging uncomfortably due to the weight of the chest thudding behind him, nothing but a prayer on his lips to guide his way. And then he hit something. Solid ground! Quickly sliding to a stop (which, amusingly was much easier given the anchor he happens to be carrying around with him), Dural, with a grin as wide as a barn on his face hefts his hammer and delivers a swing to the nearest blood-sucking insect.

Action: Attack Stirge #21 in I6.

minion, roll 1d20+4-5 for Attack
    minion, roll 1d8+2 for Damage

Attack:
    1d20+4-5 16 [1d20=17]
    Damage:
    1d8+2 4 [1d8=2]

Characters
  • Options
    Geth I looooooove you.

Characters
  • Options
    OOC: Aegis rolling hot today!

• Options
    //It's as if Aragorn's ghost himself punted the wee dwarf!