The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[pbp] Ruins of Undermountain (D&D 5e) - Huh. These bugbears are mighty...

13468968

Posts

  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    Lean on your men, thought Philo, clamping his jaw shut to keep the words that would shut down Ay's plan from escaping. He almost laughed; these weren't, after all, his men, or soldiers, really, and he could no more command here than he could lead them in a merry dance. But this had been half the point of coming to Undermountain: to learn to merge his own judgement with the rest of the team's, and become all the stronger for it.

    "All right," he whispered. "Keep your wits about you. Lead on, Ay."

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Salazar grabs his gear, quietly, and lines up behind the rest.

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Can Barran spend a moment oiling the secret door's hinges so the door opens more quickly/quietly? Though it'd be funny for us to lose whatever advantage we have by struggling against the door as it slowly grinds open...

    Bursar on
    Oh my fucking god this post
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Currently RPing: Barran in the Ruins of Undermountain!
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    Can Barran spend a moment oiling the secret door's hinges so the door opens more quickly/quietly? Though it'd be funny for us to lose whatever advantage we have by struggling against the door as it slowly grinds open...

    Good idea, but unfortunately not. Due to "secret" part of the secret door, there are no visible hinges on your side of the door.

  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    I am ready to open it if others are. Ay will assist with the pushing. I just don't want to jump the gun if others want to give input. If nothing changes in the next hour or two, you can assume I start pushing.

    Steelhawk
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Unless there are other interjections, I will try to put something up when I get home from work today

    Steelhawk on
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    I don't know how many of us actually understand Orcish if we're going to try chatting them up. The success of our first encounter is in your hands, speakers! :)

    Oh my fucking god this post
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Currently RPing: Barran in the Ruins of Undermountain!
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    If you see me start swinging, things went south. =P

    P.S. I have an 8 Charisma.

    Edit: On a positive note, maybe my lack of social graces will be comforting to the orcs?

    am0n on
    Mongrel IdiotBursar
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    "I think I should do the talking.
    Culturally speaking, Orcs despise humans, dwarves and elves.
    Tieflings don't really come into consideration!
    Can anyone translate for me?"

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Sorry, my wife and kids took up most of my evening tonight...

    The floor about the heavy wooden door in the west wall is strewn with caltrops, and the walls of this dusty room bear engravings of robed figures bearing staffs, wands, scrolls, spellbooks, and other symbols of arcane spellcasting. There are a number of small vents in the ceiling that collect the smoke from the small fire burning in the middle of the room, a rat being cooked on the makeshift spit.

    It also holds four snarling orcs warriors! Already on their feet when you enter, they are indeed involved in a heated argument as Ay heaves on the solid secret door in the south wall of the room. While they do not look wounded at the moment, the Orcs do appear not to be at their best. Their clothing is more tattered than you would expect and there are some rents and holes in their armor.

    The rest of you pile into the room and with a start, the Orcs jump and draw their weapons and shout at you in their crude language.


    The four orcs are surprised at your entry. They clearly had no idea about the secret door in the south wall and had their meagre defenses organized around the only overt door in the room. Lets everyone roll Initiative now....and during your surprise turns you can attempt your negotiations with the Orcs.

    Geth, roll 1d20+1 for Initiative


    Initiative:
    1d20+1 19 [1d20=18]

    Steelhawk on
  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    "Well, that's a damn shame. Right in the middle of dinner." Dural then unslings his warhammer and raises Findul, tapping the edge of the shield against the wall in an effort to loosen up. Naturally, the shield would get caught in a groove between the mortars, and the dwarf spends the next several moments giving progressively stronger and insistent yanks with his shield arm to pry it free.

    minion roll 1d20 for Initiative

    Initiative:
    1d20 5 [1d20=5]

    Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    While getting my Sneak Attack right off the bat would be a great start to combat, Barran will Aid in giving Ay a chance to win the orcs over by appearing confident while non-threatening.

    Geth, roll 1d20+2 for initiative

    initiative:
    1d20+2 9 [1d20=7]

    Bursar on
    Oh my fucking god this post
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Currently RPing: Barran in the Ruins of Undermountain!
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Entirely unsure if anyone can speak orcish and whether talking is still the plan a, Salazar gets ready to rumble.

    minion, roll 1d20+1 for Initiative

    Initiative:
    1d20+1 18 [1d20=17]

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    Philo keeps a hand on his sword hilt, and adopts a stern, captainly demeanor.

    Geth, roll 1d20+1 for initiative

    initiative:
    1d20+1 16 [1d20=15]

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Backing off the door after pushing it open, Ay raises his hands, open with palms forward, in an attempt to be non threatening.

    Ay has met orcs in the past that could speak common, even some that were proficient in elven, but he figured it might be a mistake to assume the same of these. In orcish, "We mean you no harm. We overheard your discuss about a troll nearby. We, too, would like to get past the troll and so we figured if we worked together we could do that; you could continue on your way and we ours afterwards."


    minion roll 1d20+3 for Initiative
    minion roll 1d20-1 for Sweet Talking some Orcs

    Edit: LOL! Love that roll! Let's get ready to rummmmmbbblllleeee!

    Edit2: Changed Orc speak to green to make it less eye-bleeding.



    Initiative:
    1d20+3 9 [1d20=6]
    Sweet Talking some Orcs:
    1d20-1 1 [1d20=2]

    am0n on
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I know Bursar said he was Aiding, which would give me advantage. Not sure if that makes sense here, but I'll roll a second time just in case. Ignore the roll if it doesn't count.

    minion roll 1d20-1 for Rocks In My Mouth

    Edit: Laughing so hard. Time for breakfast!

    Rocks In My Mouth:
    1d20-1 2 [1d20=3]

    am0n on
    Steelhawk
  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Still yanking on his shield, Dural cringes in between grunts and dwarven curses aimed primarily at the shoddy upkeep of underground masonry, "Couldn't tell a lick of what you just said, but even I feel like smacking you upside the head as if you just insulted m'ma."

    Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Deep down, I imagine that is what happened. However, I consider my guy fairly proficient in orc, so I am instead just going to assume these guys aren't interested in working together and that my orcish is flawless!

    With a bit of a whisper to Dural, "I'm fairly sure I didn't do that, but I'm also not so sure I managed to win them over." Ay glancing around just briefly enough to see his staff, having propped it up against the wall prior to pushing open the door, still within reach. He turns to the orcs, hands will up and open and smiles, albeit it a bit of a nervous smile.

    am0n on
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    We really need to establish a formatting rule!
    Anyway, I'm rather high up in the ini order sooo my action until combat starts is a ready action: first orc to draw his weapon and close distance is getting firebolted.

    Salazar doesn't speak orcish, but even just judging by tone and action realises this isn't going to go Ay's way.
    He whispers to Ay: "show strength. Don't talk"

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    I've been doing b/grey for OOC and I did the text above orange because it was a different language. I'm fine with coming up with a standard format, though.

  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Re: Format...

    - Bolded Grey for OOC seems to be a loose standard across all pbp's I've been involved with here, so that's cool with me.
    - Normal IC text should be in the normal font
    - Speaking....that would be up to you. I am not fussy either way and if you choose to post your characters words in a different colour then have at it. If it makes my eyes bleed I will be sure to suggest you change it. :)
    - When I find time today to post the first combat round I will have a format that I like to use that I stole from one of the first 4e pbp's I was involved in here:

    Disregard the quote box when you actually post, but descriptive flavor text would go here ie: I swing at the Orc with my sword! He bleeds! Yay!

    Actions in separate paragraph/greyed out
    Move: Engage the Orc (or if we are using a map something like: move 4 squares to B2)
    Action: Attack Orc#2 with Longsword (used to be we'd link Orokos results here, but Geth syntax would work)
    Bonus: You get the idea

    Stat Block:
    The list of PC's & Baddies in the Fight would go here with updated stats in the same order as initiative. If every player could update, copy and paste this stat block into their own posts we would have an up to date running stat block as we go along.

    @the next player in the initiative order

    Steelhawk on
    am0n
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    The Orcs, so engrossed in their conversation and totally not expecting a secret door into their temporary sanctuary, are completely taken by surprise as you burst into the room. They scramble to unhook their greataxes when Ay opens his mouth.

    Ay opening his mouth was...something. Really something. The look on the Elf's face was one of complete satisfaction, like he successfully defended a doctoral thesis. What the Orcs heard, however, was that Ay was really looking forwards to cutting off the Troll's manhood and sharing it with Orcs in some kind of celebratory orgy. While some Orcs may indeed have thought that was a grand idea. These Orcs were not those kind of Orcs.

    Its time for blood.

    Due to the surprise...the Orcs miss their turns and we can start with Salazar.

    The room is rectangular. 30 x 50'. The secret door in the southeast wall. The normal door is in the northwest wall with caltrops in front of it. We won't bother with the map at this time. This should be a straight forwards fight. (That may change)


    Stat Block:
    Orc#1 AC: 13, HP: 15
    Orc#2 AC: 13, HP: 15
    Orc#3 AC: 13, HP: 15
    Orc#4 AC: 13, HP: 15
    Salazar AC: 14, HP: 23
    Philo AC: 18, HP: 25
    Ay AC: 16, HP: 24, Inspiration
    Barran AC: 15, HP: 20
    Dural AC: 18, HP: 31

    @evilthecat

    Steelhawk on
    am0n
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Not sure if the ready action was observed or not. I'll skip it for now to keep things going!

    "BURRRRRRRN!"

    Salazar weaves his draconic essence into the spell he's casting.
    Where a lesser mage would cast one, Salazar casts two.

    minion roll 1d20+6 for Orc 1
    minion roll 1d20+6 for Orc 2

    damage:
    minion roll 3d8 for Chromatic Orb(fire)

    The first two orcs are almost burnt to a crisp where they stand; the smell of weird bacon permeates the air!

    Movement: None.
    Action: Twinned spell -> Chromatic Orb.
    Bonus Action: Laughing Manically.
    Likely reaction: "Shield" if hit.



    @Mongrel_Idiot
    Orc#1 AC: 13, HP: 1
    Orc#2 AC: 13, HP: 1
    Orc#3 AC: 13, HP: 15
    Orc#4 AC: 13, HP: 15
    Salazar AC: 14, HP: 23
    Philo AC: 18, HP: 25
    Ay AC: 16, HP: 24
    Barran AC: 15, HP: 20
    Dural AC: 18, HP: 31

    Orc 1:
    1d20+6 25 [1d20=19]
    Orc 2:
    1d20+6 25 [1d20=19]
    Chromatic Orb(fire):
    3d8 14 [3d8=8, 3, 3]

    evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Bursaram0n
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Nice one! And while I did miss your readied action, you're going first anyway this round. And your burned them good too!

    Also forgot to mention that @am0n earned himself some Inspiration for his hilarious attempt at diplomacy!

  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    "With me, Dural!"calls Philo, surging into the breach. Holding his shield to obscure the motion, he draws his sword and cuts at one of the orcs.

    @Steelhawk, was Philo able to use Inspiring Leader up in the tavern? I asked earlier if he could've used it during the conversing and carousing before they all went down the well. If so, everyone should have 5 temporary HP.

    Move: Approach Orc 3.
    Action: Attack. If it hits, spend a Superiority Die to use Maneuvering Attack to bring Dural up to the front line.
    Bonus action: None.
    Likely reaction: Use Protection to impose disadvantage on an attack against an adjacent ally, or take an attack of opportunity.

    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Attack
    Geth, roll 1d8+2 for Damage
    Geth, roll 1d8 for Superiority Roll

    Edit: Good start!
    Orc#1 AC: 13, HP: 1
    Orc#2 AC: 13, HP: 1
    Orc#3 AC: 13, HP: 15
    Orc#4 AC: 13, HP: 15
    Salazar AC: 14, HP: 23
    Philo AC: 18, HP: 25
    Ay AC: 16, HP: 24
    Barran AC: 15, HP: 20
    Dural AC: 18, HP: 31

    @am0n

    Attack:
    1d20+4 11 [1d20=7]
    Damage:
    1d8+2 5 [1d8=3]
    Superiority Roll:
    1d8 7 [1d8=7]

    Mongrel Idiot on
    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I could have sworn troll testicles were an aphrodisiac to orcs! Oh well, I'll just have to make sure I have the troll bits in hand for the next group of orcs...

    "Well, this isn't what I was hoping for," Ay whispered to himself. Seeing his companions rushing in, Ay reached over to grab his staff from the wall before dashing in himself.

    Following Philo in, Ay diverts left as Philo goes right, towards one of the two orcs trying to put out the flames taking over their body. Swinging his staff towards the first, the orc wasn't as distracted as he thought, his staff grabbed mid-air. Unfortunately for the orc, he didn't see the roundhouse kick that followed, sending the orc to the ground. Using the momentum of the rebound, Ay tumbled to the next orc, blocking a swing from its mighty ax as he hip tossed the orc to the ground, the blunt force of the collision enough to knock it unconscious.

    This is going to be a bit confusing, so I apologize. I have a speed of 45 ft. and the ability to make up to 3 attacks in a round with Flurry. Going to assume Orc 1/2 are the closest two, since those are the ones Salazar lit up. Going to assume that the room being 30 x 50 means I could at least move in, attack, move, attack Orc 1 and Orc 2, maybe Orc 3. If anything seems too much of a stretch just let me know and ignore any actions you think are too much.

    Move: Move to Orc 1 (grabbing staff along the way)
    Action: Attack Orc 1
    Move/Bonus: Spend 1 Ki to Flurry of Blows.
    * If Attack killed Orc 1, Move to Orc 2 and attack, otherwise continue attacking Orc 2
    * If Orc 1 and Orc 2 killed and remaining attack available, Move to Orc 3 and attack (assuming all the movement doesn't exceed 45 ft)
    * If hit Orc 3 with Unarmed Strike from Flurry, force it to make DC 13 Dexterity Save or be knocked prone

    Reaction: Deflect Arrow (if any have a ranged weapon), Attack of Opportunity otherwise

    Geth roll 1d20+5 for Attack QStaff
    Geth roll 1d8+3 for Damage QStaff
    Geth roll 1d20+5 for Attack Unarmed 1
    Geth roll 1d4+3 for Damage Unarmed 1
    Geth roll 1d20+5 for Attack Unarmed 2
    Geth roll 1d4+3 for Damage Unarmed 2

    Orc#1 AC: 13, HP: -5 (Kaputt)
    Orc#2 AC: 13, HP: -5 (Kaputt)
    Orc#3 AC: 13, HP: 15
    Orc#4 AC: 13, HP: 15
    Salazar AC: 14, HP: 23
    Philo AC: 18, HP: 25
    Ay AC: 16, HP: 24
    Barran AC: 15, HP: 20
    Dural AC: 18, HP: 31

    Attack QStaff:
    1d20+5 8 [1d20=3]
    Damage QStaff:
    1d8+3 9 [1d8=6]
    Attack Unarmed 1:
    1d20+5 13 [1d20=8]
    Damage Unarmed 1:
    1d4+3 6 [1d4=3]
    Attack Unarmed 2:
    1d20+5 20 [1d20=15]
    Damage Unarmed 2:
    1d4+3 6 [1d4=3]

    am0n on
    Mongrel Idiot
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    For the future, is inspiration something you use after a roll, or you declare before a roll?

    @Bursar

  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    Hey am0n, if you end your move adjacent to me I can impose disadvantage on an attack against you. Dunno if you have the move left to get there, but it might be a worthwhile move.

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
    Steelhawk
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    If Steelhawk allows it, absolutely. I'm not sure how spread out the orcs are, so I don't know if I just zipped all around the room, or if they were all clumped together and it was an arms reach to get from one to the next. If they are pretty close together, I'd probably have tried to move closer to you once I was done with Orc 2 to create a "line."

    Steelhawk
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Yes! Philo's Inspiring Leader did take. I did notice that, liked it, but forgot about it when the time came to start combat. Thanks for reminding me.

    For this fight, positioning and flanking are at your discretion. Its the opening combat and intended for you guys to get in there and simply crush some orcs! (Or make friends, but that ship has sailed.) As Am0n said, its a relatively small room with little in the way of obstacles, so have fun with it. For more complex encounters, we'll use a map.

    Re: Inspiration - You can either declare it before you roll OR spend it immediately after a roll OR give to another player to foster awesomeness.


    Updated Stat Block:
    Orc#1 AC: 13, HP: DEAD
    Orc#2 AC: 13, HP: DEAD
    Orc#3 AC: 13, HP: 15
    Orc#4 AC: 13, HP: 15
    Salazar AC: 14, HP: 23+5 THP
    Philo AC: 18, HP: 25+5 THP
    Ay AC: 16, HP: 24+5 THP, Inspiration
    Barran AC: 15, HP: 20+5 THP
    Dural AC: 18, HP: 31+5 THP

    @Bursar is up next!

    Mongrel Idiot
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Ah, nice. Didn't know you could give it to another player.

  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    "I don't know what he said, but it sounded friendly enough," Barran mutters while drawing a bead on one of the surviving orcs.


    Let's play with dice roll coding!

    Move: staying back along the wall, out of the way of these flying swords while getting LOS on Orc3.
    Action: Pistol Xbow attack on Orc3. Because Philo is standing next to it and hostile, this allows for the Sneak Attack bonus.
    Bonus Action: Use my Cunning Action to hide in the background.


    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Aim...
    Geth, roll 3d6+3 ARROW'D!
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Hide


    Updated Stat Block:
    Orc#1 AC: 13, HP: DEAD
    Orc#2 AC: 13, HP: DEAD
    Orc#3 AC: 13, HP: 3
    Orc#4 AC: 13, HP: 15
    Salazar AC: 14, HP: 23+5 THP
    Philo AC: 18, HP: 25+5 THP
    Ay AC: 16, HP: 24+5 THP, Inspiration
    Barran AC: 15, HP: 20+5 THP
    Dural AC: 18, HP: 31+5 THP

    @Aegis

    Aim:
    1d20+5 15 [1d20=10]
    ARROW'D!:
    3d6+3 12 [3d6=3, 3, 3]
    Hide:
    1d20+5 8 [1d20=3]

    Bursar on
    Oh my fucking god this post
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Currently RPing: Barran in the Ruins of Undermountain!
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    Look, it's very hard to hide in an empty room, all right?

    Oh my fucking god this post
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Currently RPing: Barran in the Ruins of Undermountain!
    Mongrel IdiotAegisam0n
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    I feel your low-rollin' pain

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    The dwarf finally yanks his shield free of the wall, the string of curses finally ending as he quickly looks around at the situation. His nose twitches upon smelling the crispy orcs, but quickly puts that out of his mind as he follows Philo's direction towards the two remaining orcs. Seeing an arrow fly past and strike head-first into one of the few remaining orcs, he focuses his attention on the last, uninjured member of brutish race. Moving Findul clear, he heaves the warhammer up and around...

    "...The Finder of Trails judges you lost and abandoned in the dark. Repent in these last few moments, vile creature." The business end of the warhammer glows with an intense white light as it connects hard on the Orc's chest. The bright light flares briefly, and then vanishes, along with the Orc who is reduced to a pile of ash.

    Move: Forward next to Orc #4.
    Action: Attak Orc 4 with Warhammer.
    Bonus (if attack hits): Divine Smite expending a level 1 spell slot for +2d8 divine damage.

    minion roll 1d20+4 for Attack on Orc #4
    minion roll 1d8+2+2d8 for Damage

    Updated Stat Block:
    Orc#1 AC: 13, HP: DEAD
    Orc#2 AC: 13, HP: DEAD
    Orc#3 AC: 13, HP: 3
    Orc#4 AC: 13, HP: Obliterated
    Salazar AC: 14, HP: 23+5 THP
    Philo AC: 18, HP: 25+5 THP
    Ay AC: 16, HP: 24+5 THP, Inspiration
    Barran AC: 15, HP: 20+5 THP
    Dural AC: 18, HP: 31+5 THP

    @Steelhawk

    Attack:
    1d20+4 17 [1d20=13]
    Damage:
    1d8+2+2d8 20 [1d8=3] [2d8=8, 7]

    Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    Mongrel Idiot
  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    Incidentally, while not important for this battle, but since it's an optional rule in 5e, what's your ruling on Flanking? The default rule is that it provides no bonuses or penalties (unlike, I think perhaps every previous edition of D&D to date), but the optional rule in the DMG allows for Flanking to give Advantage.

    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    flanking is quite OP in 5e :P
    seriously though, the only exceptions to it are rogues and swarmy monsters like kobolds.

    evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    The last orc decides that he's had enough of this and breaks away and flee out the door, his greataxe sweeping out behind him in a desperate arc to keep two steps behind. Running for the door, he leaps the caltrops (mostly) and is out the door!

    Do you take him down or let him go?


    Action: Disengage
    Move: Flee!

    Re Flanking: I too am a little put out by flanking not having a mechanical effect, but am willing to see what the designers intended. Lets use rule as is, and we can revisit this after a few combats using a map.

    Orc#1 AC: 13, HP: DEAD
    Orc#2 AC: 13, HP: DEAD
    Orc#3 AC: 13, HP: 3
    Orc#4 AC: 13, HP: Obliterated
    Salazar AC: 14, HP: 23+5 THP
    Philo AC: 18, HP: 25+5 THP
    Ay AC: 16, HP: 24+5 THP, Inspiration
    Barran AC: 15, HP: 20+5 THP
    Dural AC: 18, HP: 31+5 THP

  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    If it helps, when I played 5e before we didn't use flanking=advantage, which kept the heroes from being clustering murder machines and improved tactics. Certain enemies like wolves or particular army dudes had a trait called "pack tactics" which essentially gave them flanking advantage and made them far more worrisome and dangerous to the players.

    Oh my fucking god this post
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Currently RPing: Barran in the Ruins of Undermountain!
    Steelhawkam0n
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    going to assume it's my turn as everyone has had a go!

    Salazar notices the orc attempting to flee and decides that he'd like some information first.
    Carefully forming the firebolt to concussively detonate rather than incinerate, he takes the shot.....

    minion, roll 1d20+6 for Non-lethal takedown
    minion, roll 1d10 for firebolt damage

    "BOOM!"
    the orc takes the hit midjump and goes down like a sack of potatoes.
    "anyone good with a rope? Need to tie that one up before he gets too ... unwieldy."

    @Mongrel Idiot

    Non-lethal takedown:
    1d20+6 17 [1d20=11]
    firebolt damage:
    1d10 6 [1d10=6]

    evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
13468968
Sign In or Register to comment.