The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[pbp] Ruins of Undermountain (D&D 5e) - Huh. These bugbears are mighty...

1585961636468

Posts

  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular

    Geth, roll 1d6+1 for Number of Charges

    Number of Charges:
    1d6+1 2 [1d6=1]

  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    Dural's eyes narrow, immediately wary. "Would I mind...?"

    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    // I assume the wand recharges?

    "Aaaah cmon! I'll buy you an ale when we get back!"

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Steelhawk
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited September 1
    You know....I've changed my mind. The wand was not taken off of a foe, it was left for Adventurers by the Mad Mage. Its FULL at 7 charges.

    Wand of Web
    Requires Attunement by a Spellcaster

    This wand has 7 Charges. While holding it, you can use an action to expend 1 of its Charges to cast the web spell (save DC 15) from it.

    The wand regains 1d6 + 1 expended Charges daily at dawn. If you expend the wand's last charge, roll a d20. On a 1, the wand crumbles into ashes and is destroyed.

    Steelhawk on
    AegisElvenshae
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    Philo peels off his glove and slides the bronze ring onto his finger. A warmth better than liquor settles into his stomach and slowly seeps out to his limbs, making its way out to the tips of his fingers and deep into the soles of his feet. The chill of the dungeon rolls back from his skin, and he almost imagines that a warm summer breeze moves through his hair. "Not bad," he remarks, looking down at the ring. "Be a mighty fine thing to have on a cold night." Slipping on his glove, he turns to the others. "My vote is to get Neblin and Angus back to the Well before we challenge Zarr."

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
    SteelhawkBursarElvenshae
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Angus is a drunkard who has a job cleaning Watersdeep's sewers to go back do.

    What! All that "Gee, there's a stirge infestation in the city's waterways, I bet they'll be happy if you took care of that" stuff was just him trying to get us to do his job for him! Never have we been so betrayed!

    Oh my fucking god this post
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Currently RPing: Barran in the Ruins of Undermountain!
    SteelhawkElvenshaeam0n
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Angus is a drunkard who has a job cleaning Watersdeep's sewers to go back do.

    What! All that "Gee, there's a stirge infestation in the city's waterways, I bet they'll be happy if you took care of that" stuff was just him trying to get us to do his job for him! Never have we been so betrayed!

    That's not quite true, but close enough. :)

  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    //wait, what? I nearly died! *homicidal tendencies intensify*

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    In Angus's defense...All he knew was that there was a problem with the city's water supply. In a drunken epiphany he thought he could find the source of the problem from below the pipes, in Undermountain, rather than from the city side. Turned out that he was on the right track, but got captured and enslaved by the Drow for his troubles. And once you freed him, you all discovered the problem...the massive Stirge infestation.

    While not solved, at least you find out why there was a problem, and once Angus gets back to his guild maybe they can try to solve the issue.

    Elvenshae
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Seeing him mull it over in his head and not having been given an explicit no, Salazar discharges the wand at Dural.
    As the silky strands of webbing begin to cover the poor dwarf, Salazar attempts to calm him down.

    "The bestest ale! Something nice and dwarven and stout! It'll be great!"

    A few seconds later and a squat mummy-esque humanoid has taken Dural's place.
    Salazar attempts to communicate with what is probably an immensely livid dwarf.

    "Soooo... how sticky is it? Can you move? Gosh, can you even breathe? Any discomfort?", he says in a firm and loudish voice.
    As the dwarf wrestles with the webbing he turns to the others:
    "Saaaaay ... do you guys think that stuff is flammable?"

    A slight and yet mildly worrying smirk creeps across Sal's face...

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    SteelhawkAegisElvenshae
  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    "Mmmpf, mmnm fmnm MMPHN MM!"

    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    Elvenshaeam0n
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited September 5
    Not that I want to interrupt the hilarity, but if you guys wanna give me your fresh Stat Lines that would be great. Remember that you only regain half your HD.

    And will there be more inspiration that gives everyone +5 HP again?

    Speaking of inspiration, @evilthecat can give Salazar capital "I" Inspiration for his wonderful idea of fishing for Giant Gar's!

    Steelhawk on
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    edited September 5
    Yeah, Philo will wax poetic about war and glory and so forth, granting everyone 5 THP.

    Edit: Probably worth having my newfound cold resistance on my statline.
    Philo - AC:19, HP:38+5/38, 4/4 Sup. Dice, HD: 2/4, Cold resistance

    Mongrel Idiot on
    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    //will have to check to see how many hd i still have left.

    After watching Dural struggle with the webbing for a bit and being content with its potency, Salazar sets about freeing the dwarf.
    "Say Dural, I really want to get you out but I also really don't want to get any of that webbing on me. Would you mind if I just set it all on fire? There's water right around the corner if spreads to you.."

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Ay (XX) - AC:16, HP: 31+5/31, Ki: 4/4, HD: 2/4

  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    Barran (??) - AC:16, HP: 27+5/27, Spells: -/3, HD: 2/4

    Oh my fucking god this post
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Currently RPing: Barran in the Ruins of Undermountain!
  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 5
    As soon as Dural's mouth is freed from the webbing, rest of his face be damned, the dwarf spits a few strands out before speaking in a low, forced calm tone as is if he were focusing hard at achieving such, "Finder, smite not this misguided tiefling, for they do not know the wrath and fury of a dwarf whose beard is webbed and set on fire." Exhaling, slowly, he continues, "And grant me the patience, and temperance, to not introduce them to the joy that is the water 'right around the corner'. Directly. With their face."

    I had 10 Lay on Hands hit points remaining before we rested. Assuming this is okay, I'm going to use 6 of them to restore me to full, and if anyone else wants to maybe save a Hit Die, you can take the remaining 4 hp.

    Dural (??) - AC:18, HP:40+5/40, Spells:-/3, LoH:20/20, HD: 4/4

    Also, starting Thursday, I will be on a trip back to my grandparent's for the next week for their 90th birthday. I will have access to a laptop, so nothing should be disrupted, but if it is, that's why!

    Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    SteelhawkElvenshaeam0n
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »
    //will have to check to see how many hd i still have left.

    Its 2. You have 2HD out of 4.

  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    // neat! so my stats are as following, I guess!
    Salazar: AC15 HP30+5 Spells-/4/3 SP4 HD4

    "Ok, alright, fine! Geez. The dagger it is, then!"
    Salazar starts doing his best at cutting the dwarf free from the webbing, being extra careful around the dwarf's beard.
    Minutes pass, after which Dural is set free...

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I haven't gone through the thread to check but I am pretty sure ALL of you way overspent hit dice on the various short rests of previous day. Everyone will start this adventuring day with 2/4 HD

  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited September 6
    I like to imagine Ay has been pretty honest about his HD, given I've been tracking them for a while. That, and it's helped that every time you hit him, he just so happened to be standing next to Dural or Philo.

    am0n on
    Steelhawk
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited September 6
    am0n wrote: »
    I like to imagine Ay has been pretty honest about his HD, given I've been tracking them for a while. That, and it's helped that every time you hit him, he just so happened to be standing next to Dural or Philo.

    That's good, but I sure haven't been! :)

    And I remember specifically calling out for you guys to spend all willy-nilly on the previous short rest precisely because I hadn't been counting, and was going to start counting from then on. Maybe saying that you all way overspent is too much, but I am confident that over the three(?) short rests had, at least 4 HD was spent. We'll start today at 2/4 HD.

    ALTERNATIVELY, you can all start at 4/4 HD for the day. And I will simply have to take that into account when I'm designing encounters. :razz:

    Steelhawk on
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    I like the idea of good habits, so I am fine with 2/4. Maybe 4/4 if we actually rest at an Inn or something, instead of a damp dungeon. Consider it a "well rested" bonus.

  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 6
    I was under the impression you regained all Hit Dice on a Long Rest. This is apparently incorrect, because it would be.

    I honestly don't know what I'm at, then, because I tend to substitute Lay on Hands healing for spending Hit Dice, and I haven't really had to heal other people all that much since we've been using Potions relatively well.

    Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    I was under the impression you regained all Hit Dice on a Long Rest. This is apparently incorrect, because it would be.


    Yeah, I thought so too when I first started reading about 5e, but no. You only regain half your total HD on a Long Rest.

    All HP is regained. As well as spells and the like.

  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Anything else we need to take care of, or should we move on?

    After having your bellies sated, and after finally cutting Dural out from the webbing of Salazar's new wand, each of you find your resting spots and rest up. Late into the night, Neblin works to cure and smoke the massive fish. He doesn't have enough time to do it properly, but by the time you awaken the smouldering embers of the fire are contained in a wooden contraption with strips of cured fish hung within.

    Once you have breakfasted, you take the time to prepare your adventuring gear for another day. Barran carefully lays out his clothing and armor again before braving the dark water again to trigger the switch. One that presumably opens the way out of this place. Angus restokes the fire to help him dry off as Neblin removes the strips of cured fish from his makeshift smoker box. The sudden release of smoke smells enticing.

    Before Barran flicks the switch, do the rest of you want to make any specific preparations?

    Stats:
    Philo - AC:19, HP:38+5/38, 4/4 Sup. Dice, HD: 2/4, Cold Resistance
    Ay - AC:16, HP: 31+5/31, Ki: 4/4, HD: 2/4
    Barran - AC:16, HP: 27+5/27, Spells: -/3, HD: 2/4
    Dural - AC:18, HP:40+5/40, Spells:-/3, LoH:20/20, HD: 2/4
    Salazar - AC:15, HP:30+5, Spells:-/4/3, SP:4, HD:2/4

  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular

    What's on the other side of the wall? We shall let Geth decide...

    1 to 10 - Nothing!
    11 to 15 - Something Good!
    16 to 18 - Something bad.
    19 - Something very bad.
    20 - Something Horrible!

    Geth, roll 1d20

    1d20 11 [1d20=11]

    Aegis
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    Philo positions himself to intercept anything that comes through the door. Normally, sleeping on the hard stones would leave him stiff and sore, but the warm emanating from the magic ring has his muscles feeling loose and ready. Wish I'd had this on more than a few long marches, he thinks as the stone rises.

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Great, now I actually have to think of something good to happen in this dungeon. Thanks, Geth...

    Which is only a bit of a lie. Instead my afternoon at work got busy and won't be able to update until later. Stay tuned!

    am0nElvenshae
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    WWGD...

    What Would Geth Do.

  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited September 7
    am0n wrote: »
    WWGD...

    What Would Geth Do.

    I would have thought it'd do something horrible....but here we are.

    Steelhawk on
    Bursar
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited September 8
    Philo and Dural stand at the forefront of the group, Ay and Salazar forming the second rank a few feet behind. Before them stands the stone wall that dropped from the ceiling. "Ready!" Dural shouts, tightening his grip on his hammer. From further back in the complex, closer to the fire, Angus relays the call. Through the twists and turns of the winding hallway Neblin picks up the signal and brings his hand down in a chopping motion as he shouts in his own deep gnome language. On the shoulders of the Sahaguin statue Barran nods, shivering a bit in his current state of undress, and toggles the switch.

    With a grinding woosh, the heavy stone trap wall recedes back up into the ceiling. A slight vibration can be felt (especially by Dural and Neblin) through your feet and vision is obscured down the newly revealed hall by a cloud of dust and falling bits of ground up stone. Despite being ready for anything, the sight before you is...surprising. Bodies litter the ground. Torn and rent bodies. Mauled and partially eaten bodies. A half dozen or so corpses lie about in corner of the hallway. Four Hobgoblins, a pair of Bugbears and a Drow. All seven of them Zarr's people, judging by their raiment.

    This must be a team from Zarr's army who had been tracking you through the dungeon. They ran into a dead end and something must have run into them. Dural leans over the bodies and pokes and prods them. He tries to bend a finger or limb here and there and frowns. Rigor mortis has set in, but something else introduced a paralytic to these bodies. Also, these bodies have been lashed and bit into with many, many teeth. But if a beast was to eat them...why is there so much flesh left?

    A few minutes Barran, Angus and Neblin join the rest of you. There is a tinge on the air, an almost intangible presence that sets Neblin on edge almost right away. He starts yanking on sleeves and motions that you should leave. Now. Angus frowns from where he is kneeling over a Hobgoblin, rifling through its pockets. "What are ye on about? They dead already!" he asks. Neblin thinks for a moment how best to communicate before putting his hand under his chin and waggles his fingers while putting a fierce expression on his face. "Yeugh!! Mind Flayers?!?!?" Neblin rolls his eyes so hard your forehead scrunches up. He stretches his hands out, describing something long in between them and tries again with the fierce expression and the waggling fingers under the chin.

    "Now ain't the time fer a durned calamari hoagie!" Angus says.

    Steelhawk on
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Salazar feels fresh.
    Ok sure, he might smell a wee bit of that rancid water (but not as bad as the dwarf) and the floor wasn't really comfortable, but having his mojo back has a remarkable effect on his mood!
    Noticing the gnome trying to mimic something, he's reminded of this odd tavern where you ordered by playing a round of pantomime. There was a brothel that did the same, he recalled, he'd never managed to find it, but how you'd go about purchasing ... his mind wanders.
    A brief moment later, Salazar really wants to get in on this pantomime action.

    "You know what shorty. I'll play your game!
    Errrrrr how about .. an umber hulk!"

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Elvenshae
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Neblin slaps his forehead in frustration and shakes his head.

    You are quite sure that his opinion of Tieflings, or maybe just Salazar, has gone down three or four notches.

    Elvenshae
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited September 9
    Salazar's fuse has been lit and burnt.
    "DON'T YOU TAKE THAT TONE WITH ME, YOU DIMINUTIVE MORON!
    Why don't you just WRITE whatever it is on the floor!"

    evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited September 10
    "A good thing ye ain't no wizard," Angus says, throwing Salazar an angry, and yet somehow pitying look. "Because yer pretty stupid. Like, Orc stupid. How's the Gnome supposed ta write words fer you ta read, when he can't e'en speak 'em? Ya think they teach Common down in the depths 'o the Underdark?"

    Steelhawk on
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    "A good thing ye ain't no wizard," Angus says, throwing Salazar an angry, and yet somehow pitying look. "Because yer pretty stupid. Like, Orc stupid. How's the Gnome supposed ta write words fer you ta read, when he can't e'en speak 'em? Ya think they teach Common down in the depths 'o the Underdark?"

    "And yet somehow he can understand what we say!
    Even if he can't write common, he can at least try draw whatever it is instead of feebly waving his arms around!"

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited September 10
    That makes Angus pause a bit. "Er. Well... 'e does seem quite good at non verbal communication don't 'e?"

    Steelhawk on
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Neblin comes back from where he huffed to around the corner. A more worried (yet still miffed at Salazar's rudeness) expression on his face. He prods Dural and points. It seems the Drow and Hobgoblins made a decent accounting for themselves before losing their fight. There, lying half-in and half out of the door is a dead Carrion Crawler

    350?cb=20090519101127

    Here is a tidbit of information about Carrion Crawlers than only the deepest of dwellers, and the more learned delvers like Dural, know: Crawlers, upon their death, secrete a specific pheromone that draws other Crawlers to them. Sages postulate that it is a survival trait among the species. While fiercely territorial, Carrion Crawlers nonetheless do operate in the same areas and complete with one another. When one dies, a pheromone is released that will draw other Crawlers from miles around to feast on its remains.

    Elvenshae
  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    The dwarf ruffles his nose and makes his way over to the corpse, testing the juices with his boot and sniffing occasionally, gauging the decaying creature. "Best not linger," he starts, eyes darting about, "Th'dead attract th'living."

    In the process of poking around the corpse, I'll be doing so to see if I can't try and figure out exactly how long this has been dead for, in order to determine how long we have before terrible things show up.

    minion, roll 1d20+3 for Survival

    Survival:
    1d20+3 18 [1d20=15]

    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
Sign In or Register to comment.