As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[pbp] Ruins of Undermountain (D&D 5e) - ADVENTURE OVER!!! Thanks for Playing!

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    You take the northern path, and the right hand turn ahead. From there you see another T intersection. On your left a door, to your right another path to the east. Thak points at the door with his axe and grunts. Gripping your weapons tight, you breach the door and head into the room.
    Three huge stone statues stand on plinths in this room, facing east. They are of noble-featured men in richly fluted plate armor, and they stand as if in contemplation or calm judgement, armed but not threatening. A large room, mostly rectangular about 40' wide and farther than you can see. The ceiling of the room is easily 50' high. The three statues are 16' tall, resting on 5' pedestals. Each statue bears a graven name, “Elyndraun, Ruathyndar,” and the northern statue has the name “Onthalass.” A staff or length of wood lies on the floor just east of the central statue.

I searched high and low on the interwebs for an image of this room and alas, no visual representation. Go figure for a boxed set that came out in the late 80's/early 90's. There is a plethora of random dungeon art out there and I am going to start incorporating. I like visual aids!

Feel free to explore the room. The first thing you notice is that the room is not a dusty chamber that people have not been in for 100's of years. There has been traffic here. And a fight. No bodies (presumably because they've become troll food) but plenty of blood, almost but not quite dried and scattered bits of orcish gear: armor, weapons, clothing scraps, bags, etc...

Ugh, Terrible top of page. I'll repost the initial room description above...

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    "Looks to be the place," says Philo, keeping a hand on his sword. "I suppose if there was any secret to these statues it would be long discovered, being so close to the Yawning Portal. Has anybody heard anything about them?"

• Options
    If someone wants to give me a history check or a local knowledge (waterdeep) check that would be appropriate...

• Options
    I suppose I could've tried one of those myself. Just a generic Intelligence roll, but maybe I'll get lucky.

Geth, roll 1d20+1 for History

History:
    1d20+1 7 [1d20=6]

• Options
    Heh. Alas...

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Do any of those names mean anything to Salazar? I should point out history was Salazar's least favorite class and what he knows he knows from local tavern songs.

minion, roll 1d20+2 for drunken stupor induced knowledge!

Salazar looks around the room.
    Oh great. More stone.

"Ok. Bored. Thak, do orcs have any dice games?"

drunken stupor induced knowledge!:
    1d20+2 4 [1d20=2]

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Heh. No, these names mean nothing to Salazar. :)

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    "Oh, boy. A big, obvious stick in the middle of the room. What's, that, stick? 'Pick me up, Barran, I'm not a trap or anything.' Whatever you say, stick."
    Barran sidles over to within 30 feet of the length of wood and uses Mage Hand to retrieve it, making sure to tap it against the floor every few feet to make sure it (the staff or the floor) doesn't explode.

In the event that nothing horrific happens, he'll hold it in his own two hands and give it a closer inspection.
    Minion, roll 1D20+2 for Investigation

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Hm. Lowercase, geth?
    Minion, roll 1d20+2 for Investigation

Investigation:
    1d20+2 14 [1d20=12]

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    After noting the statues, Dural takes a moment to read the inscriptions, before glancing way, way up the unnecessarily tall statues, "Don't know who they are, but they sound elf. They're tall enough for elfs, in any case." He spends a while just looking at them to confirm his suspicions or otherwise pick out any particular features of the statues, mostly out of curiosity.

minion roll 1d20+1 for Perception

Perception:
    1d20+1 7 [1d20=6]

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    The statues, despite their elf-y names, look decidedly human. They are ancient and you have no reference point as to who these three lords were. Perhaps they date back to the time Halaster built Undermountain? Even back to the time of the Melairkyn? At any rate, Dural's ponderings are about to be rudely interrupted...Barran's Mage Hand drops the torch on the floor of the chamber to burn near the centre statue and it picks up the staff. Moving it around and tapping the staff on the floor, the Halfling decides that the staff should be safe enough. And it is, until he grabs it with his own hands.

"Unhaaaand me!!!" Comes a shrieking feminine voice from the staff, "Beast! Villain! THIEEEFFFFF!!!!"

The noise rings in your ears and reverberates through the dungeon. The gods only know how far the shriek carries down the halls, and who or what may have heard it. One being definitely heard it though. The Troll, roused from his gluttony fueled slumber, roars in annoyance as it emerges from an alcove/hallway in the southeast corner of the room. He does not look pleased to see you.

Roll Initiative!

And give me a day or so to remember how maptool works so I can whip up a map for this combat. :)

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    Barran drops the staff and whips out his pistol bow, backing away madly.
    "Found it!"

He narrows his eyes at the staff as it rolls to a stop. "We'll handle you later."

Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Initiative.

Initiative:
    1d20+3 10 [1d20=7]

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    "Looks like you'll have to teach me that dice game later, Thak."

minion, roll 1d20+1 for initiative

initiative:
    1d20+1 6 [1d20=5]

• Options
    "Eyes up!" barks Philo, drawing steel and raising his shield. "Don't let it get you away from the group."

Geth, roll 1d20+1 for Initiative

Initiative:
    1d20+1 9 [1d20=8]

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    "What in the...," Dural starts, whipping his head around and bringing his hammer free, before eyeing the Troll and stopping, "Eh? That's an odd sound for a Troll to make."

Minion roll 1d20 for Initiative

Initiative:
    1d20 11 [1d20=11]

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    Geth, roll 1d20+1 for Thak's Initiative

Geth, roll 1d20+1 for Troll's Initiative

Thak's Initiative:
    1d20+1 20 [1d20=19]
    Troll's Initiative:
    1d20+1 16 [1d20=15]

• Options
    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Ay's Initiative

Ay's Initiative:
    1d20+3 21 [1d20=18]

• Options
    edited July 2016
    @am0n is up first. He's out of town but will try to check in. Lets give him some time...

Map:
    Hall%20of%20Three%20Kings%20-%20Round%201_zpsazroz1ii.jpg

Stats:
    Ay - AC: 16, HP: 24, Inspiration
    Thak - AC: 13, HP: 15
    Troll - AC: 15. HP: 84, Multiattack
    Dural - AC: 18, HP: 31
    Barran - AC: 15, HP: 20
    Philo - AC: 18, HP: 25
    Salazar - AC: 14, HP: 23

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Oh my ...
    Welp, I'm behind a statue and there's a tasty looking monk between me and the troll ^^'

edit: neat map, what did you make it with?

evilthecat on
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    evilthecat wrote: »
    Oh my ...
    Welp, I'm behind a statue and there's a tasty looking monk between me and the troll ^^'

edit: neat map, what did you make it with?

You guys were scattered around a bit and checking out the statues, hence your starting placement. Also, putting the fire wielding magic user behind a statue and a friendly in the line of fire? That may not have been an accident. :)

I originally wanted to scan the proper old school maps in, but couldn't find one with a high enough resolution. So I used this website..Pyromancers.com to whip up something quick. I just found it, and it I think it will be very helpful to my poor map making skills.

Edit: Oh, FYI all regarding the map: those thicker black lines are supposed to represent doors. You entered from the door in the southeast. There is a hall that exits the room to the north and another that exits to the west.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Eh, I don't have fireball yet. And you seem to think I care about friendly fire! ;)

evilthecat on
  • Options
    All fire is friendly. It just wants to plaaaaaay...

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    OK...in order to keep things moving, I'll take Ay's turn for him and we can go ahead with the other turns. Since its Thak and then the Troll, I'll keep posting as my work day allows...

With a shout, Ay charges forwards and attempts a swat with the quarterstaff and flying leap kick combo to the Troll's face! Bouncing off and executing a back flip the nimble Elf lands more than 10' away, clearing the lane.

Move: Flying Kick, then bounce off to land in O9
    Attack: Quarterstaff Swat
    Bonus: Kick to Face!

Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Quarterstaff
    Geth, roll 1d8+3 for damage
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Kick
    Geth, roll 1d4+4 for damage

Quarterstaff:
    1d20+5 19 [1d20=14]
    damage:
    1d8+3 4 [1d8=1]
    Kick:
    1d20+5 20 [1d20=15]
    damage:
    1d4+4 5 [1d4=1]

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Edit: Durr, I jumped the gun. I forgot there was a Troll!

"Where is it? Where is it?!" Can be heard from behind one of the statues, as the Dwarf leans this way and that in between cursing elven craftsmanship. "I can smell the damn thing, but gods be damned these statues."

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Thak grips his axe in a ready position and motions to Salazar as if to say, "Go. Do your thing."

The Troll's snaps back after being hit with a stick and kicked. The welts on its face visibly regenerating before your eyes. With an angry growl, it follows Ay and lashes out! It takes a chomp out of Ay's shoulder and the claws almost disembowels him! The poor Monk is lucky to be alive!

I feel bad beating on a player who's not even here. Oh well. :)

Thak delays his turn in the initiative order to follow Salazar.

Bonus: Troll Regenerates 10HP
    Move & Attacks: The Troll moves to P9 and unloads on Ay with a Bite and Both Claws!
    Geth, roll 1d20+7 for Bite vs Ay
    Geth, roll 1d6+4 for Bite Damage
    Geth, roll 1d20+7 for Claw 1
    Geth, roll 2d6+4 for Claw 1 Damage
    Geth, roll 1d20+7 for Claw 2
    Geth, roll 2d6+4 for Claw 2 Damage

Map:
    view?usp=sharing
    Hall%20of%20Three%20Kings%20-%20Round%201a_zpsxpdcrs94.jpg

Stats:
    Ay (O9) - AC: 16, HP: 7, Inspiration
    Troll (P9) - AC: 15. HP: 84, Multiattack
    Dural - AC: 18, HP: 31+5
    Barran - AC: 15, HP: 20+5
    Philo - AC: 18, HP: 25+5
    Salazar - AC: 14, HP: 23+5

Bite vs Ay:
    1d20+7 20 [1d20=13]
    Bite Damage:
    1d6+4 10 [1d6=6]
    Claw 1:
    1d20+7 14 [1d20=7]
    Claw 1 Damage:
    2d6+4 8 [2d6=1, 3]
    Claw 2:
    1d20+7 23 [1d20=16]
    Claw 2 Damage:
    2d6+4 12 [2d6=5, 3]

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    We didn't take a rest, right? The temp HP should still be up.

• Options
    We didn't take a rest, right? The temp HP should still be up.

Yes! Thank you again. I forgot about that.

Also...Photobucket is being funny and I'm trying to link to google drive...does anyone know why the sharable link is not working? :)

• Options
    edited July 2016
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-GQCqEEocyXTkVmREEtdVNtMWc/view?usp=sharing

If you just click on the link, does that work?

Edit: Photobucket stopped being stupid. Map is working.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    Because this is going to come up again, and it's immediately relevant, I'm going to get this question out of the way: Are the statues considered Blocking Terrain?

Characters
  • Options
    Aegis wrote: »
    Because this is going to come up again, and it's immediately relevant, I'm going to get this question out of the way: Are the statues considered Blocking Terrain?

Yes.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Finally spotting the lumbering beast when it charges forward and lashes out at the flying monk, Dural jogs around the nearest statue, shadows alongside the length of the second statue before sliding to a stop next to the wounded monk. Chanting a few words under his breath, the heavy end of his hammer glows white once again, but rather than slam it into a foe, he presses it against the bleeding and disemboweled monk as white soothing light envelops Ay and repairs much of the damage. "Less pirouettes, more not dying," the dwarf offers, raising Finbul before him and projecting a field of force in front of the monk just in case.

Move: N8.
    Action: Lay on Hands on Ay restoring 10 hp.
    Bonus: Shield of Faith on Ay. He gains +2 AC until I lose concentration, or 10 minutes pass.
    Reaction (if, by some miracle the Troll manages to come within 5 ft of me and attack someone else): Fighting Style (Protection) would kick in, granting disadvantage to attack rolls against any ally that isn't me if the Troll's within 5 ft of me.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    That's some good Paladin-ing, right there. Nice.

Stats:
    Ay (O9) - AC: 16, HP: 17, Inspiration, Shield of Faith (+2AC)
    Troll (P9) - AC: 15. HP: 84, Multiattack, Regenerates 10HP per turn unless Fire/Acid
    Dural (N8) - AC: 18, HP: 31+5
    Barran - AC: 15, HP: 20+5

@Bursar - You're up!

• Options
    Barran looks from the tiny crossbow in his hand, then at the massive Troll.
    Then back to his crossbow. Then back to the Troll.
    With an expression somewhere between terror and bemused fatalism, he stows his pistol and rolls up his sleeves, taking a few steps forward to get a clearer line of sight.
    "It's been a long time since I had to do this..."

A bolt of fire lances out from his outstretched hand and streaks across the room towards the troll.

Without even checking to see if it hit, the Halfling scrabbles up the plinth of the central statue, lurking in the shadow beneath the figure.

(Move to K10
    Attack: Fire Bolt
    Move to K7 [nimbleness to move into its space?]
    Bonus Action: Hide)

Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Fire Bolt
    Geth, roll 1d10 for Fire Damage
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Stealth

Fire Bolt:
    1d20+4 19 [1d20=15]
    Fire Damage:
    1d10 3 [1d10=3]
    Stealth:
    1d20+5 25 [1d20=20]

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Oh, yeah! SO HIDDEN.

New Stats:
    Ay (O9) - AC: 16, HP: 17, Inspiration, Shield of Faith (+2AC)
    Troll (P9) - AC: 15. HP: 81, Multiattack, Regenerates 10HP per turn unless Fire/Acid [Total from fire/acid: 3]
    Barran (K7)- AC: 15, HP: 20+5

@Mongrel Idiot

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    "Hey, beast!" bellows Philo, rushing the troll and beating his sword against his shield. As its eyes turn to him, he slashes and cuts, striving to push the troll off balance and give Salazar a clear shot. "On your feet, elf! There's work to do here!" he calls in between attacks.

Catching the troll's claw on his shield, Philo drives his sword into its arm and hauls it off balance, exposing its flank. "Now, Salazar!"

Move to 08.
    Action: Attack the troll. If it hits, use Distracting Strike.
    Bonus Action: Use Rally to grant Aye some more temporary HP.
    Reaction: I should be adjacent to Ay and Dural; if either gets attacked, use Protection to impose disadvantage on it.

Edit: BOOM! Next attack by somebody who isn't me has advantage.

Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Longsword attack
    Geth, roll 1d8+2 for Longsword damage
    Geth, roll 1d8 for Distracting Strike damage
    Geth, roll 1d8+2 for Rally HP for Ay.

Longsword attack:
    1d20+4 24 [1d20=20]
    Longsword damage:
    1d8+2 3 [1d8=1]
    Distracting Strike damage:
    1d8 5 [1d8=5]
    Rally HP for Ay:
    1d8+2 5 [1d8=3]

Mongrel Idiot on
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Geth, roll 1d8 for Critical damage

Ay (O9) - AC: 16, HP: 17+5, Inspiration, Shield of Faith (+2AC)
    Troll (P9) - AC: 15. HP: 65, Multiattack, Regenerates 10HP per turn unless Fire/Acid [Total from fire/acid: 3]
    Barran (K7)- AC: 15, HP: 20+5
    Philo - AC: 18, HP: 25+5 (2 superiority dice)

Critical damage:
    1d8 8 [1d8=8]

Mongrel Idiot on
  • Options
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    This would be the point at which the dwarf yells at his stubby feet only giving him 25 ft movement speed instead of 30, so that he could have setup the "If the Troll attacks literally anyone at all, he has disadvantage from either Dural or Philo" play by being able to move one square further south.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    "Who's he calling elf?!", Salazar thinks to himself.
    "Perhaps setting his head on fire will straighten out his eye sight ..." is the idea that initally follows but ... no.
    There's a troll to deal with and Thak is either scared or planning betrayal, either of which is less than optimal.

Salazar will strut over to q4 and cast scorching ray.

minion, roll 4d20+5 for hot shooty goodness

edit: well shit it won't add more dice rolls, going to have to double post.

hot shooty goodness:
    4d20+5 56 [4d20=12, 7, 15, 17]

evilthecat on
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    minion, roll 6d6 for troll crippling magic

Salazar will now smugly meander over to n4, "hiding" from the troll behind the statue.
    Ay (O9) - AC: 16, HP: 17+5, Inspiration, Shield of Faith (+2AC)
    Troll (P9) - AC: 15. HP: 43, Multiattack, Regenerates 10HP per turn unless Fire/Acid [Total from fire/acid: 3]
    Barran (K7 )- AC: 15, HP: 20+5
    Philo - AC: 18, HP: 25+5 (2 superiority dice)
    Salazar (N4) - AC: 14, HP: 23+5

Salazar will also be ready to use "shield" on reaction if anyone tries swatting at him.
    looking over at Thak, he gestures invitingly to the troll.

If i'm not mistaking we're at the top of the round again, so @Steelhawk

troll crippling magic:
    6d6 22 [6d6=4, 4, 4, 4, 5, 1]

evilthecat on