As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[pbp] Ruins of Undermountain (D&D 5e) - ADVENTURE OVER!!! Thanks for Playing!

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    OMG I AM DYING.

Sorry for the peanut gallery comment, but holy shit, @Bursar , that is D&D in a nutshell.

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Normally, I am all about the dice. But this one time, I'd totally be okay ignoring the dice. That was some great RP, even if the dice disagree.

Or has the wrath of Geth come back for Barran stealing a healing potion? Hmmmmmmm.....

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I geth we'll never know. Nyuk nyuk.
    I'm okay with whichever direction it goes! Barran can talk a lot, but when it comes down to it, he's still a chubby little guy holding a tiny knife in front of two denizens of the darkness, so I can see why they don't see him as threatening.

Quick, somebody else jump in and be Bad Cop!

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    Philo, noticing that the halfling's rhetoric is painfully out of synch with how frightening he is, casually begins cleaning the blade of his sword, making sure that the torchlight flickers along the edge and maintaining eye contact with the goblins.

Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Intimidate

Intimidate:
    1d20+4 14 [1d20=10]

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Heh. Geth will provide...

You start to think that maybe the Goblin's don't know as much common as you think they do. But a glance at all of the assembled party, and Philo sharpening his sword, has them worried. Its been a pretty bad 5 minutes, after all.

Of more interest, both Goblins eyes go wide when they see the Crystal Rod. They both exchange a look at start to yammer at each other excitedly. Not fearful, so much as excited.

"Bree-yark?" says one, and the other nods.

"Bree-yark."

And as everyone knows. Bree-yark in the goblin language means, "we surrender."

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    Taking your momentary pause as acceptance, the two goblins struggle to their feet, yammering on at you, and start to hobble towards the hallway. As they pass you, one of them turns back and jerks his head excitedly as if to say, "come with us!" and continues towards the hall...

Do you let them lead you, or stop them?

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Dural quickly moves his attention from questioning to observing the goblins like a hawk, making ready to move as they shuffle down the hallway, "Oy! Not too far ahead too fast," he grumbles, trying to keep them in sight.

I'd make to follow them, though he'll quickly change that to stopping them if we don't care to be led by a pair of totally trustworthy goblins.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Barran noticed that the goblins surrendered less out of fear and more out of... curiosity? at seeing the rod. He hurriedly stows it within easy reach and follows behind Dural, ready for more goblish tricks.

I'm totally expecting to be led straight into a goblin warren with the equivalent of "Check out these idiots we got to follows us back here." Maybe sealing myself into an impenetrable ball would be the best option if that happens. :P

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Failing forwards is thing these days, isn't it? :razz:

• Options
    Ay follows the dwarf and halfling as they keep their eyes on the goblins.

• Options
    Funeral today, so not much time to do this up properly but I will be moving this along at some point very soon! Stay tuned!

• Options
    edited February 2017
    The two goblins lead you out of the "classroom' and further east and to a door. The stop and argue briefly about whether or not to go north through the door, or continue east, following the hallway to the south. They decide on the north door. Passing through you all head north a bit more before turning west again and passing through another heavy wooden door.
    The plain square room is filled with crudely crafted tables and chairs. Earthenware plates, bowls, and cups are laid on the tables. You hear sounds of movement coming from the passageway connected to the room's western wall. The sounds are getting louder as they approach, the idle chit-chat of soldiers taking a meal is unmistakable in any language.

Your two prisoners perk up immediately..."BREE-YARK!" "BREE-YARK!" they call out hopefully.

Somebody make an insight check (or maybe a grognard check?) to see of you know what Bree-Yark actually means.

The pace of the approaching figure quickens and 4 hobgoblins and a bugbear come into the 30x30' room. Taking in the situation, they reluctantly put down their plates (the delicious aroma of a roasted fish and mountain fungus dish hits Dural's nose. A dwarven dish that reminds him of home.) and draw their swords. "BREE-YARK!"

A standoff occurs. The two bound goblins spouting off their story (you presume) to the Hobs and them listening intently. One of them look to you and speaks in rough common. "You...give us crystal rod now. Zarr happy. Give now or die. Become lunch. Tired of dwarf fish anyway. Come to Zarr or come and die."

0211c6ad2657d6315a37b454b43100d8.jpg

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    // we, err, might need a map. Dx

minion, roll 1d20+1 for insight checkery

insight checkery:
    1d20+1 6 [1d20=5]

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    dungeon map or a battle map? If you check the dungeon reference map, you are now in room 6

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    // battle map. I don't see the dwarf surrendering.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    The Dwarf is quickly distracted from paying attention to the goblins once the scents begin wafting through the Halls. His nose twitches and he begins to sniff, trying to track down where the hell that lovely aroma is coming from, though his hammer remains lifted even more in caution and preparedness than it was before. "Someone be havin' a lovely dish o'Carp an' Plump Helmets. From the smell, looks like the mushrooms be a good batch, not too ripe," He then raises his shield in front of him again, lowering his voice slightly, "But they be stewed in with Carp, meanin' there be Carp in these Halls. Deadly, vicious, cunning creatures. Drowns their prey without even havin' arms..." he trails off with a shudder.

Dural then scowls and positions himself in front of the rest of the group once the Goblins begin yammering and the hobgoblins approach, his head straining to recall if he can recognize what the bloody goblins are yelling about.

minion, roll 1d20+3 for Insight

Insight:
    1d20+3 15 [1d20=12]

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    That's it! Dural finally remembers what one of his doddering old clan elders used to say. Most young dwarves usually paid Ol' Ironpants little attention, so his rants about how things were back in his day were largely ignored. But in the midst of them all, there was a kernel of wisdom.

"If'n you ever hear a Goblin yell out Bree-Yark, any good dwarf ought ta be ready fer a fight. Silly humans over by the Borderlands, that old Keep remember?...anyway, these stupid humans keep perpetuatin' this rumor dat Bree-Yark means Gobbos surrender...but nay nay!

"Bree-Yark actually means "Hey Rube!" and is kind of a battle cry. Usually Goblin sentries will shout it out, when goodly folk like a brave Dwarf come ta kill 'em, and then cower. Buy ain't givin' up, nay nay! They're just waitin' fer more reinforcements ta arrive so they can kill you! So listen good ya wee runts. Listen ta Ol' Ironpants and I'll keep ya alive I will."

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Ay has tried to retain his normal good demeanor throughout this entire foray into the depths. He's witness children murdered, been mislead by hobgoblins, had someone he is supposed to trust attack an ally, and now been lead astray once more. Ay thought his trial would be at the end of this adventure, but perhaps his trial is the adventure. Perhaps this place and it's inhabitants are unworthy of trust. Ay is torn, but he is also angry. Hearing the goblin, bound, rattle off threats to the group, Ay loses all composure. "Pray your death is swift." Ay walks over to the goblin, places his hands around his skull and repeats, "Pray." He then attempts to snap the goblin's neck.

@Steelhawk What would be required for me to snap the goblin's neck? Because after hearing him ramble, I want him dead. Immediately.

am0n on
  • Options
    // .. and now the monk is going all frank miller batman. I'm surrounded by murderers!

• Options
    edited February 2017
    murder-hobos, actually. But Cat does have a point in that there are other options. :)

Snap neck of the goblin who is bound and lead you into this situation? For the greater good of the story, do what you will and make it awesome. :razz:

If you wanted to snap the neck of the Hobgoblin who is speaking to you, that's a combat situation kinda thing.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Oh, I totally mean the bound one. Ay is unhappy right now.

With a twist, Ay cracks the neck of the mouthy goblin, releasing its head as it falls to the ground, limp. Ay retrieves his staff from where it it bound to his back and turns to face the enemies at the far side of the room. he lines up next to Dural. "I hope your flames have better aim this time, tiefling. Maybe keep an eye on that other goblin so he doesn't get away."

am0n on
  • Options
    Maybe Sal has a point, thinks Philo, drawing his sword and stepping up next to Dural and Ay. I didn't even think to not fight them. Maybe I do have a deathwish...

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Salazar can't believe what he's seeing.
    4 heavily armed hobgoblins in plate, an angry bugbear and they're going for their weapons.

"Gimme the rod!", he barks at Barran!

If Barran gives Sal the rod:
    Salazar addresses the hobgoblin that spoke a little common and points the rod at him (while keeping his distance ;P ).
    "You know what this does? I do, and it isn't pretty. Drop your weapons or I'm disintegrating the lot of you, starting with *you*, chuckles."
    // plan is to bluff my way to glory or run if they don't drop their stuff.

If he does not:
    "By Muradin's beard, at least withdraw into the hall where we can restrict their movement!"
    // plan is to run into a 5ft wide corridor and start setting people on fire, I'll leave it at that until we have a map and initiative is called for.

minion, roll 1d20+6 for intimidation!

p.s.: mythweavers has dunked my sheet :( I'll update it back to level 4, the only difference is a higher char and dex score and 2 pots.
    edit: Fixed the sheet, I think it's all good now!

intimidation!:
    1d20+6 15 [1d20=9]

evilthecat on
  • Options
    Ahh, I see. It was one of the hobgoblins that spoke, not one of the goblins. Well, Ay still snapped the neck of one of the goblins. Assume it was the one that was yipping the most to the hobgoblins.

• Options
    Barran backpedals, passing the rod off to Salazar on the way like those crazed Naffle-worshippers in far-off lands.

Sometimes I hate being right!

Zarr probably knows what the rod is, and thus what it does, and so if she wants it it's only because of what's currently inside the ball. That can't be good! Hopefully she didn't bother to tell her minions all the intricacies of her plans...

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    All signs point to Initiative...neck snapping, disintegration threats (exact result TBD), etc.. they really do.

But I offer a final chance to pull something back and leave the way open for something else.

In the meantime I will work on a map. :)

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Barran's initiative.

Edit: Yeeeesh. Is initiative an ability check? :P

Barran's initiative:
    1d20+3 4 [1d20=1]

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    "Oy! The goblin be callin' out a warn..." Dural begins to say before the loud snap of the goblin's neck brings any potential conversation to a halt. "I know I be, in the past, the one typically airin' on the side o' smashing goblins, but by the Doombringer's black hand, thar be a time and place."

minion, roll 1d20 for Initiative

Initiative:
    1d20 9 [1d20=9]

Characters
  • Options
    Barran tugs at Salazar's sleeve while passing him the rod.
    "This rod is rather delicate... If things start looking like they can't get any worse, smash the blasted thing against the wall or suchlike. They'll probably get worse after that, but at least Zarr won't have it."

He stops to think for a moment. "Unless doing that will release the spell it holds. Then don't do that."

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    // i have one last non violence idea, will wait for results of intimidation first

• Options
    edited February 2017
    evilthecat wrote: »
    // i have one last non violence idea, will wait for results of intimidation first

How its going to play out IC, I don't know yet....but at the moment it doesn't look good...if you've got something to build off of your threat now is the time.

Also, there is no 5' hallway anywhere close by....each one of those square on the greater dungeon map is a 10' square.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    Ay looks over to the dwarf, a gleam in his eye that Dural hasn't yet seen. "Given we've been lead into a second trap, that time is now. And given the brutes across the room glaring at us, this appears to be the place. But your comment is noted, and when we are finished here we can discuss it further."

• Options
    Imma leave all this here just in case its needed...

@evilthecat does Salazar have any more to say/do before we get to the fisticuffs? @Mongrel Idiot ?

Dining%20Hall%20Round%201_zps7irahoyz.jpg

Geth, roll 1d20+1 for Hob's Initiative
    Geth, roll 1d20+2 for Bugbear's Initiative
    Geth, roll 1d20+2 for Goblin Initiative

Hob's Initiative:
    1d20+1 14 [1d20=13]
    Bugbear's Initiative:
    1d20+2 4 [1d20=2]
    Goblin Initiative:
    1d20+2 20 [1d20=18]

• Options
    Seeing the situation quickly deteriorate, Salazar considers attempting one last ploy but realises there's no coming back from this.
    He wistfully addresses the hobgoblins.
    "There's no way you're getting this rod. I'm going to smash it before you get your grubby mitts on it...
    So if you think about it, either my well armed compatriots are going to run you through or Zarr will feed you to the spiders.
    Enjoy what little remains of your pathetic lives..
    "

minion, roll 1d20+2 for BRING IT ON!

BRING IT:
    1d20+2 11 [1d20=9]

• Options

Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Init to Winit

Init to Winit:
    1d20+3 16 [1d20=13]

• Options
    Geth, roll 1d20+1 for Initiative

Initiative:
    1d20+1 8 [1d20=7]

• Options
    FOOD FIGHT! - Round 1

When these things happen, they happen quickly. Salazar's threats (even with a slight bonus due to Ay's neck snapping display are not enough to dissuade the Hobgoblins from attacking. Swords are drawn, longbows are nocked and the Bugbear lets out a feral roar!

Hearing the threats going back and forth, the cursed Tiefling shaking the crystal rod, the thrice cursed Elf snapping his friends neck and his allies snarling and spoiling for a fight send the lone remaining Goblin to try and scurry under one of the dining room tables and furiously working on his restraints!

Geth, roll 1d20+2 for Dexterity check for the Gob to slip his bonds

@am0n - Ay is up! Followed by the Hobgoblins.

Map:
    Dining%20Hall%20Round%201_zps7irahoyz.jpg

Stats:
    Goblin - AC:15, HP:7, Nimble Escape, Restrained
    Ay - AC:16, HP: 29+6/31, Ki: 3/4, HD: 2/4
    Hobgoblin 1 - AC:18, HP:11, Martial Advantage
    Hobgoblin 2 - AC:18, HP:11, Martial Advantage
    Hobgoblin 3 - AC:18, HP:11, Martial Advantage
    Hobgoblin 4 - AC:18, HP:11, Martial Advantage
    Salazar - AC:15, HP: 30+6/30, Spells: -/3/0, SP: 1, INSPIRATION
    Dural - AC:18, HP:40/40, Spells:-/3, LoH:20/20
    Philo - AC:19, HP:38+2/38, 4 Sup. Dice
    Bugbear - AC:16, HP:27, Brute
    Barran - AC:16, HP: 19/27, Spells:-/2,

Dexterity check for the Gob to slip his bonds:
    1d20+2 9 [1d20=7]

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Oh, this seems like a great idea... 4 hobgoblins between me and my next ally acting. =P
    Edit: So close to killing one! I also added locations to the hobgoblins so we know which is which.

Ay, noticing the goblin scurry off, looks at the creature briefly, "Involve yourself and your death will not be swift." With a quick burst of speed, Ay moves forward, unleashing a flurry of blows at one of the hobgoblins. The creature takes a staff to it's side squarely, hobbling it, but the remaining strikes it manages to fend off. Ay retreats back to the group, positioning himself to give Philo some room to engage, the staggered enemy unable to respond as Ay moves away.

Move: Move to F5 (H4 -> G5 -> F5 to avoid Engaging more than 1)
    Action: Attack Hobgoblin in E4
    Bonus: Flurry of blows, focusing on Hobgoblin in E4, unless he dies, then move to F4 and remaining attacks on Hobgoblin in E3.
    If I hit with the first attack, will attempt to knock him prone (DC 13 Dex Save). If I use second attack on same hobgoblin, will attempt to knock him prone (DC 13 Dex Save) if failed, or push back (DC 13 Str Save) if prone succeeded.
    If I kill first, will use the same sequence of prone(DC 13 Dex Save)/knockback (DC 13 Str Save) on second.
    Move: Move back to the group (H4, to give some defense to the back line). I won't provoke due to Mobile Feat.

Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Attack QStaff
    Geth, roll 1d8+3 for Damage QStaff
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Attack Unarmed 1
    Geth, roll 1d4+3 for Damage Unarmed 1
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Attack Unarmed 2
    Geth, roll 1d4+3 for Damage Unarmed 2

@Steelhawk

Goblin - AC:15, HP:7, Nimble Escape, Restrained
    Ay - AC:16, HP: 29+6/31, Ki: 2/4, HD: 2/4, -I4-
    Hobgoblin 1 - AC:18, HP:1, Martial Advantage -E4-
    Hobgoblin 2 - AC:18, HP:11, Martial Advantage -E3-
    Hobgoblin 3 - AC:18, HP:11, Martial Advantage -D5-
    Hobgoblin 4 - AC:18, HP:11, Martial Advantage -D3-
    Salazar - AC:15, HP: 30+6/30, Spells: -/3/0, SP: 1, INSPIRATION
    Dural - AC:18, HP:40/40, Spells:-/3, LoH:20/20
    Philo - AC:19, HP:38+2/38, 4 Sup. Dice
    Bugbear - AC:16, HP:27, Brute
    Barran - AC:16, HP: 19/27, Spells:-/2,

Attack QStaff:
    1d20+5 18 [1d20=13]
    Damage QStaff:
    1d8+3 10 [1d8=7]
    Attack Unarmed 1:
    1d20+5 16 [1d20=11]
    Damage Unarmed 1:
    1d4+3 6 [1d4=3]
    Attack Unarmed 2:
    1d20+5 10 [1d20=5]
    Damage Unarmed 2:
    1d4+3 4 [1d4=1]

am0n on
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Actually, @Aegis @Mongrel Idiot Would you prefer I move to I4 so Philo can move to H4? If I do, it means Dural will likely take the better part of the first round of attacks, but if I don't, Philo may need to crawl on tables to get to the enemies. Thoughts?

am0n on
  • Options
    Whichever you prefer. I've got a bucketload of hp and AC for these situations!

Characters