The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[pbp] Ruins of Undermountain (D&D 5e) - Huh. These bugbears are mighty...

16263646567

Posts

  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Thought he was asking for a perception check from both of us. If not, you can just consider mine a help attempt.

  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    Eh, your roll was great, but here's one from Barran for the GM to pick from to decide how much loot he's [strike]not[/s] going to give us:

    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Lizard Den Exploration

    Lizard Den Exploration:
    1d20+5 8 [1d20=3]

    Oh my fucking god this post
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Currently RPing: Barran in the Ruins of Undermountain!
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I was since you were the one who instigated the search, but that's cool....

    Also... @evilthecat while you are eviscerating the Basilisk's skull to get your trophy please make an Arcana check to see if you remember something...


    Barran and Ay head south into the room that serves as the Basilisk's den (before Zarr let it out to play door guard) and begin to poke around. Mostly there is debris and rocks and rock dust. In particular a nice mound of gravel in the corner that serves at the beasts bed. But of more immediate importance, taken from the various statues and bodies, are the following:

    100gp found scattered on the floor and in various purses that survived being turned to stone
    1 Potion of Greater Healing
    A Bandoleer with (5) Magic Darts/Ninja Stars/Whatever +1 and 5 mundane ones
    A Warhammer +1

    Elvenshae
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Noticing no immediate threat in the room, Ay helps Barran gather up the remnants of useful belongings they could find. Flipping one of the impressively light weight darts in his hand, Ay asks Barran, "You proficient with throwing these? Or do you prefer your crossbow?" as they make their way back to the rest of the party.

    If Barran wants to look around more, assume this is after he finishes. If we didn't find anything else of interest (doors out of here, traps, etc.) then I am fine moving back to the other room. I am presuming the Magic Darts are intended for Ay, but if others have use for them we can split them up. Since they are Darts, though, they don't count as melee weapons, so it's only a +1 for thrown attacks, unless the "Whatever" means they could be regular daggers, which are melee (not how I interpreted it, though).

    Steelhawk
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    No...not daggers. They are intended to be whatever flavor of darts you want them to be.

    Also.... @Aegis ....that hammer is obviously intended for Dural, but since your own hammer has a name we can most definitely switch that magic weapon for a battleaxe if you'd prefer.

  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    ok let's see where this goes xD

    minion, roll 1d20+1 for arcana check!

    arcana check!:
    1d20+1 5 [1d20=4]

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 27
    After his prayers are finished, Dural dusts his hands off, picks up his things, and wanders over to where Philo is sketching a map, poking his head over to see what's going on. He nods once once the plan is offered, "As good a plan as any. If'n we run into any more of them walls o' darkness, though, we best be ready to deal with it. Just ain't right to not be able t'see. Should we have horney scoutin' ahead as well in case there be any more of them...magical doodad traps along th'way?" He absentmindedly scratches his beard as he thinks.

    Fimbul is my shield, not my hammer!

    Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »
    ok let's see where this goes xD

    minion, roll 1d20+1 for arcana check!

    Yeah...the fact that a Basilisks' gullet and its digestive fluids can be distilled to produce an oil that is used to return a petrified creature back to flesh and life (barring missing vital organs, if applicable)... goes right over Salazar's head. Too bad. Potion gnome upstairs would have liked that.
    Aegis wrote: »
    Fimbul is my shield, not my hammer!

    D'oh!

    Elvenshae
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    it's fine.
    Salazar didn't even know it was a basilisk!
    What's a basilisk anyway!?

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    AegisElvenshaeXagarMongrel Idiotam0n
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    Just a quick heads up, I'm gonna be out of town Thursday through Sunday again. Y'all know Philo's jam at this point, though.

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Sorry....kinda busy with the run to Halloween and having 2 smalls kids in the house and birthdays and Halloween parties and whatnot. I'll push the game forwards ASAP.

    In the meantime, claim your lootz, update your sheets and talk amongst yourselves.... here's a topic: Just how freaky do you think Drow are in the sack? Is it only the women who are stereotypically dominant and kinky? or can the typically subservient males claim some of the kink too?

    Mongrel IdiotAegis
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Just how freaky do you think Drow are in the sack? Is it only the women who are stereotypically dominant and kinky? or can the typically subservient males claim some of the kink too?

    spoiler for possible "meh", I don't write alot!
    "You know, all this talk about lady Zarr reminds me of a tavern in Daggerford.
    After a long trek I'd been in need of some much needed rest and food.
    I sit down, order my meal, and as the waiter brings me my grub he asks if I'm 'in need of some horn polish'.
    'why yes, how did you know?!', I say, and I'm invited through a door hidden behind a curtain.
    So, I'm in the back of the establishment if you know what I mean, and I ask the, err, waiter, 'who do you have available right now?'.
    He obviously didn't hear me properly, as he replied with 'yer want the drow? ... wait just a wee minute'.
    I was immediately sold on the idea, I wait as asked, but across the hall from me there's this naked halfling, rubbing what appears to be melted butter all over himself.
    It's just him and me in this dimly lit hallway. I couldn't tell if he was a patron or the entertainment, but something about the way he was grinning really creeped me out.
    Anyway, 5 minutes later, there I am, down to my loincloth in front of this ebony beauty!
    'So what's your name?', I ask.
    'Does it even matter? And why are you undressing?', she replies.
    'Well I'm open to new ideas, if you can get the job done fully clothed..', I pause and she gives me this look of pure disbelief.
    She sighs, and says 'Whatever. I hope you're as good as they say you are!'. My reputation clearly precedes me!
    She invites me into an adjoining room, and judging by the moans and the smell of burning butter from some room close by, someone had turned the halfling up to eleven.
    I was more than happy to oblige. I enter the new room and, seated around a table, a human, a dwarf and an elf are playing cards. All men.
    I lean in towards the drow and whisper that this wasn't what I signed up for.
    She replies with 'I know, but just play along, it'll be worth it!'.
    I'm a sucker for pretty eyes and her emerald greens convinced me to stick around a little longer.
    Besides, 'the drow are famed for their bedroom exploits, perhaps this is really advanced rollplay', I think to myself.
    WELL.
    3 hours, 2 royal flushes and a crazed, ignited halfling running amok later, the tavern is on fire, the elf's dead, the human's chasing the drow through the premises and the dwarf is telling me he's going to be drinking his ale out of my horns. Nearly had me, too, but the wooden floors gave out from under him and he got impaled on a candle holder. Now, I can't overstate how much this place was on fire. Even I was feeling toasty. And I'd spent most of my magics on the road, so my options were limited.
    The human had the drow cornered (who had all my winnings, by the way!), I could have just left it there but felt she'd provided me with more than a night's worth of amusement. I threw my last spell at him and his head exploded.
    With the roof coming down and no way to get to the drow, I did what any sane man would.

    'Whaaaat's yoooour naaaaame!?', I shouted through the inferno.
    She smirked and shouted something back, but the fire was too loud...
    I never did find out who she was..."


    Salazar wistfully stares off into the distance

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    ElvenshaeBursarSteelhawk
  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    I would be poking my head forward, but I'm not sure if we decided on what way we're going and what our marching order is going to be like.

    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I'm still struggling to put together the next encounter, but I'm working on it! I suspect I'll need to make a map too...

    In the meantime, due to some excellent role-playing from everyone involved lately....everyone can now enjoy some INSPIRATION!

    Also, Aegis brings up a good point....what is your marching order? Fight-y types up front and wizard in the middle? Scout out front?

  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    wizard

    how *dare* you!?
    Do I look like some poncy book humping "my daddy paid for my tuition!" jerk!?

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    Dural offered that maybe Sal lead with the halfling to scout for magical traps in addition to regular traps.

    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    OK.... thanks for your patience! Before we continue, I need to actually know your marching orders & How far ahead will your scouts be from the rest of the party. Also I will need stealth checks from everyone, should you choose to take the sneaky path.

  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Because I have been the cause of this delay, I want to get back into the game....so unless there are strident objections, I will proceed assuming that Dural's suggestion is accepted and that Barran and Salazar are up front and the clankier members are behind, say, 15-20'. Also, that you will be following the path that Philo laid out in his game plan.

    @Bursar & @evilthecat - Please give me Sneaky Sneak rolls and Perception rolls in preparation for your scouting mission
    @Aegis @am0n @Mongrel Idiot - Please also give me sneaky rolls just in case its necessary

    Current Stats as Reference:
    Philo - AC:19, HP:26/38, 4/4 Sup. Dice, HD: 2/4, Cold Resistance, INSPIRATION
    Barran - AC:16, HP: 27+5/27, Spells: -/2, HD: 2/4, INSPIRATION
    Dural - AC:18, HP:40+5/40, Spells:-/3, LoH:20/20, HD: 2/4, INSPIRATION
    Ay - AC:16, HP: 31+5/31, Ki: 2/4, HD: 2/4, INSPRIATION
    Salazar - AC:15, HP:26, Spells:-/4/3, SP:4, HD:2/4, INPSIRATION

  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    //Sal doesn't have detect magic, he'll be hanging out at the back with the rest of the gang! preferably between the beefcakes.

    "No offence Barran, no point in two of us getting caught in a trap.."

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20+1 for Sneak!

    Sneak!:
    1d20+1 14 [1d20=13]

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    edited November 6

    Geth, roll 1d20+6 for sneaky-sneak
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Percepting


    Edit: Look, they can't see me and I can't see them, we're all good.

    sneaky-sneak:
    1d20+6 20 [1d20=14]
    Percepting:
    1d20+5 8 [1d20=3]

    Bursar on
    Oh my fucking god this post
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Currently RPing: Barran in the Ruins of Undermountain!
    ElvenshaeSteelhawk
  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    minion, roll 1d20 for Dwarven Stealth

    Dwarven Stealth:
    1d20 10 [1d20=10]

    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    Elvenshae
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited November 7
    Barran leads the way, moving to the southernmost set of the three double doors. A basic lock had been applied since you were last through here. So basic that the tiny rogue barely breaks his stride as he pops the lock and eases into the hallway...

    He moves slightly ahead of the rest of the party, and through the empty Hobgoblin barracks. He keeps to the shadows, his magical light sources extinguished for the moment, moving about in the dark. He passes bunk after bunk, not noticing any occupants. Soon, he comes to another door and decides to wait until the rest of the party catches up.

    Geth, roll 1d20+6 for reasons
    Geth, roll 1d20 for other reasons

    If anyone still needs or wants to make any checks, now's the time.


    Area Map & Key:
    Lady Zarr's Area Map:
    Lady%20Zarrs%20Territory_zpsiiz8mkps.jpg
    [/quote]


    Room 4: Zarr's Army Ready Room/Parade Square/Goblin & Kobold Camp - CLEAR
    Room 5: Basilisk Den - CLEAR
    Room 6: Mess Hall - BIG MESS, PROBABLY CLEAR
    6A: Kitchen - PROBABLY CLEAR
    6B: Pantry & Fresh Water Supply - PROBABLY CLEAR
    Room 7: Language School - PROBABLY CLEAR
    Room 8: Slave Pens - CLEAR
    Room 9: Hobgoblin Barracks & Bugbear Dens - ???
    Room 10: Spider Lair - PROBABLY CLEAR (but I wouldn't check unless I was feeling my Wheaties today)
    Room 11: Stirge Room - RESET BECAUSE HALASTER IS A JACKASS
    Rooms 12 & 13: Nevermind and Not Relevant to the Adventure anymore
    Rooms 14 thru 20: Unexplored and this is where you need to go.

    reasons:
    1d20+6 17 [1d20=11]
    other reasons:
    1d20 19 [1d20=19]

    Steelhawk on
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    oh right.
    just in case.

    minion, roll 1d20+4 for sneakeroo!

    sneakeroo!:
    1d20+4 9 [1d20=5]

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited November 8
    What you may or may not have known about Bugbears is that, despite their size and ferocity, they are also sneaky and conniving bastards who love to set ambushes and take their prey unawares. They wait until the party enters the room (having no idea that Barran is there and letting him pass freely), with Dural and Salazar making a hash of their attempts at stealth they are the natural targets...

    3033358b5993ca344233f1fcab109334.jpg&key=841310cd82d1cf046c4eeb9ce56501e9051f26ca0e4832f8bd99de17ac7432a2

    With a roar two Bugbears leap out from under the beds lining the walls, the frames and coarse bedding flying as they rise up. Barran turns around in complete shock, having no idea the Bugbears were there. The brutes rush forwards, nasty swords in their fists and fall upon the Dwarf and Tiefling. Dural's armor protects him from the blade in his back.

    Unfortunately, Salazar does not wear the heavy armor that Dural does. The Bugbear's blade enters his back and bursts out through his chest. Salazar looks down at the blade protruding from his chest in disbelief for a split second.... and then nothing.

    Geth, roll 1d20+4 to Hit Dural on Surprise Round
    Geth, roll 2d8+2+2d6 for Damage incl surprise damage
    Geth, roll 1d20+4 to Hit Salazar on Surprise Round
    Geth, roll 2d8+2+2d6 for Damage incl surprise damage

    Geth, roll 1d20+2 for Bugbear's Initiative

    The Bugbears clearly got the drop on all of you and take advantage of their surprise round!

    Everyone roll for Initiative!


    Stats:
    Philo - AC:19, HP:26/38, 4/4 Sup. Dice, HD: 2/4, Cold Resistance, INSPIRATION
    Barran - AC:16, HP: 27+5/27, Spells: -/2, HD: 2/4, INSPIRATION
    Dural - AC:18, HP:40+5/40, Spells:-/2, LoH:20/20, HD: 2/4, INSPIRATION
    Ay - AC:16, HP: 31+5/31, Ki: 2/4, HD: 2/4, INSPRIATION
    Salazar - AC:15, HP: 0, Spells:-/4/3, SP:4, HD:2/4, INPSIRATION, KO'D
    Bugbear 1 -AC:16, HP: 27
    Bugbear 2 - AC: 16, HP: 27

    Surprise Round:
    1d20+4 17 [1d20=13]
    Damage incl surprise damage:
    2d8+2+2d6 23 [2d8=1, 8] [2d6=6, 6]
    Surprise Round:
    1d20+4 24 [1d20=20]
    Damage incl surprise damage:
    2d8+2+2d6 20 [2d8=4, 5] [2d6=5, 4]
    Bugbear's Initiative:
    1d20+2 22 [1d20=20]

    Steelhawk on
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I had to look this one up... Sorry Salazar.

    https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/06/17/does-the-bugbears-surprise-attack-damage-get-doubled-on-a-critical-hit/

    Geth, roll 2d8+2d6 for crit damage

    crit damage:
    2d8+2d6 16 [2d8=3, 7] [2d6=3, 3]

  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 8
    Well, I can heal Sal, that's not a problem. Trying to figure out how much of my healing resources to spend, mind you, since I kind of wanted to keep a bunch for the big boss lady.

    Also I have 2 spells remaining, not 3, as I used one in the previous fight when I was about to be petrified.

    Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    Steelhawk
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    it's fine, I blame Barran.
    Worst scout ever.

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    BursarElvenshae
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    edited November 8
    Hely holl, that's... That is a nasty first strike. I guess we shouldn't have let the guy who can't see in the dark take point.

    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Barran's Initiative

    Barran's Initiative:
    1d20+4 14 [1d20=10]

    Bursar on
    Oh my fucking god this post
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Currently RPing: Barran in the Ruins of Undermountain!
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20+1 for Philo's Initiative

    Philo's Initiative:
    1d20+1 12 [1d20=11]

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    minion, roll 1d20 for Initiative

    Initiative:
    1d20 6 [1d20=6]

    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Just waiting on @am0n for an initiative roll before we continue. The bugbears rolled a Nat20 for their Initiative, but who knows how the Monk will do?

    I suppose @evilthecat should roll one too, so we can slot Salazar into the order whenever Dural gets him up.

  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    minion, roll 1d20+2 for init

    init:
    1d20+2 9 [1d20=7]

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Seems like @am0n hasn't been online in a few days. I'll go ahead and roll Init for him...

    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Ay's Initiative

    Ay's Initiative:
    1d20+3 21 [1d20=18]

    Elvenshae
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited November 9
    The Bugbear continue their relentless assault! The one tried to knife Dural in the back keeps at it, this time getting past the Dwarf's armor and taking some blood for the effort!

    The second Bugbear slides his blade out from Salazar's back, dropping his limb body unceremoniously on the floor, and whirls around with a backhanded slash away at the closet foe, Philo. The wily fighter however, sensing the attack coming, gets his shield up in time to deflect the Bugbears strike!


    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Bugbear 1 vs. Dural
    Geth, roll 2d8+2 for Damage
    Geth, roll 2#1d20k1+4 for Bugbear 2 vs. Philo
    Geth, roll 2d8+2 for Damage

    Since Ay is next we'll give @am0n a chance to check in and take his turn. After that is the still hidden Barran.

    There is no lighting in the rooms/halls right now, so Barran and Philo are at the mercy of the darkness. Even if the stupid Bugbear can't hit with Advantage, this is an important point to remember.


    Stats:
    Bugbear 1 -AC:16, HP: 27
    Bugbear 2 - AC: 16, HP: 27
    Ay - AC:16, HP: 31+5/31, Ki: 2/4, HD: 2/4, INSPRIATION
    Barran - AC:16, HP: 27+5/27, Spells: -/2, HD: 2/4, INSPIRATION
    Philo - AC:19, HP:26/38, 4/4 Sup. Dice, HD: 2/4, Cold Resistance, INSPIRATION
    Salazar - AC:15, HP: 0, Spells:-/4/3, SP:4, HD:2/4, INPSIRATION, KO'D
    Dural - AC:18, HP:36/40, Spells:-/2, LoH:20/20, HD: 2/4, INSPIRATION



    Bugbear 1 vs. Dural:
    1d20+4 22 [1d20=18]
    Damage:
    2d8+2 9 [2d8=6, 1]
    Bugbear 2 vs. Philo:
    2#1d20k1+4 2 # 9 [1d20k1=[5]] 5 [1d20k1=[1]]
    Damage:
    2d8+2 13 [2d8=6, 5]

    Steelhawk on
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    Trying to swing in pitch black inflicts disadvantage on us, right?

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
    Steelhawk
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Yes. But you do have a Driftglobe.

    Mongrel Idiot
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    Hm. I don't really want to give up my sneak attack in order to spend the turn casting Light, but I'll need some sort of vision to attack. @Mongrel Idiot, would you prefer to have Barran cast Light so that Philo can attack unimpeded, or for Barran to Hold his attack until Philo activates the driftglobe?

    Oh my fucking god this post
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Currently RPing: Barran in the Ruins of Undermountain!
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    I'm happy to thumb on the Driftglobe for Barran; I can still be useful with my reaction to protect others, and use a bonus action to refill Dural's temporary HP.

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Wait, our scout couldn't even see?!

    *facepalms*

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Aegis
Sign In or Register to comment.