The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[pbp] Ruins of Undermountain (D&D 5e) - ...And into the Basilisk Den!

1505153555666

Posts

  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    I got the map wrong; I meant either m6 or l6 depending on the corner hop.
    in regards to the illusion: I'm only making noise. my interpretation of the map might be wrong, but here's how it would work if I were casting a visible spider:
    CeB73YI.png

    I'm casting it in the ravine/crevice out of LoS of the stirge.
    Once again, it's only a sound whose supposed source isn't visible to the stirge.

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Steelhawk
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Ah...I get it now...cool.

    Geth, roll 4#1d20-1 Saves vs. Illusion

    Saves vs. Illusion:
    4#1d20-1 4 # 4 [1d20=5] 7 [1d20=8] 10 [1d20=11] 13 [1d20=14]

  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited June 13
    The nasty sounding vibration/hiss made by the giant spiders emanates from somewhere below, down in the darkness. Echoing around the room, it has an immediate effect on the remaining stirges.

    Their bodies shiver momentarily in fear before, as one, they all dart back up into the safe confines of their nests. Before one of them has a chance to flee, it is impaled by Ay's dart. Another one simply turns to fly away before Dural's hammer...

    Ha! They all failed their saves! Dural can take an opportunity attack if he's like on the one that was trying to bite him

    And if you promise to use your remaining actions this round to get the F outta the room, I will be happy to declare this encounter over and grant you all a short rest behind the confines of a safely closed door. And we can discuss what comes next for the group.

    Speaking of what comes next, I guess I'll need to figure out some options. :)

    Steelhawk on
    Elvenshaeam0nMongrel IdiotAegisBursar
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    I literally have one leg out of the room. I'm ready to die to something else.

    AegisSteelhawkElvenshae
  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    (( I was also planning to vamoose, yes. But I will take that OA! ))

    minion, roll 1d20+4-5 for OA
    minion, roll 1d8+2

    OA:
    1d20+4-5 17 [1d20=18]
    1d8+2 9 [1d8=7]

    Currently DMing: None right now! :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +4/1d8+2 | Spell +4/DC 12
    Steelhawk
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    //Sal will run now and come back to gloat later.

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    ElvenshaeSteelhawk
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    Barran totters his way out as well, his spirits buoyed by Philo's exhortation but his flesh weakened by stings and wall-battery.

    Oh my fucking god this post
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Currently RPing: Barran in the Ruins of Undermountain!
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    We're not waiting on me, are we?

    As the others retreat, Philo backs out of the chamber, shield raised and sword ready to hold the stirges at bay.

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    No. We're waiting for me now...I need to figure out the next steps now that the group is in somewhat of a no-mans land of blank maps. :)

    To the north of you is Zarr's area. And farther to the south....well....lets just say that you're not ready for that yet. If you do go down that way, you will likely die horrible deaths in the maws of a dragon or a purple worm or something. It should be fun....but not yet.

    I'm working on it!

    BTW, you can go ahead and Short Rest now if you'd like. I'll work it into the narrative when I come up with something.


    As soon the cursed Dural hobbles his way out of the room the heavy chest dragging at his leg drops off with a magical "POP! Dural is now free of the cursed chest, and it sits now in the middle of the floor of the dark hallway.

    Philo comes through the door backwards a moment later, sword and shield up at the ready. As soon as he is through, Ay slams the door shut!

    "Probably be best not to linger," Angus says. "I've known these damn Drow fer a few weeks an' I know they're a right vindictive bunch o' pricks. Lets put some distance on them afore we take a breather, eh?"

  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    (( I think Steelhawk needs to repopulate the dungeon after we killed 3 dozen Stirges. ))

    Currently DMing: None right now! :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +4/1d8+2 | Spell +4/DC 12
    am0n
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited June 16
    I'm more trying to figure out how to get you guys to some relative safety without killing you :) It seems unfair to the setting to just say, "OK, you guys trudge through a mile or two of dungeon and get back to Yawning Portal" No, no, no... We can't have that!

    Speaking of which...please do what you need to do regarding a Short Rest and give you revised Stat-lines please. You never know if things are going to go sideways before we get to Long Rest situation. Here's where we left off...

    Ay - AC:16, HP: 20/31, Ki: 1/4, HD:2/4,
    Dural - AC:18, HP:27/40, Spells:-/1, LoH:10/20
    Barran - AC:16, HP: 8/27, Spells:-/0,
    Salazar - AC:15, HP: 11/30, Spells: -/0/0, SP: 0,
    Philo - AC:19, HP:22/38, ?/4 Sup. Dice, - Did those Rally's and Movement boosts cost Superiority dice?
    Angus - AC:12, HP:17/20


    2013-07-09_00003.jpg

    Leaving the room with the Stirges behind, and lugging your stolen treasure chest along with you, the party makes haste through the dark hallways of Undermountain. Through a bend in the corridor, past two sets of doors, around another bend...the party dares not stop while still so close to Lady Zarr's stronghold. Narrowly avoiding one of these along the way...

    1351948809684.png

    The party comes to a flight of stairs heading down. At the bottom you see the corridor stretch off before you to the south, a door on your left and another on your right...trying the door to you left it opens into a 40 x 30' room. The room is quiet, with empty sconces of the walls for torches and broken and rotting bits of wood on the floor. The remains of a table? Or desk? No matter, you all hustle inside (even Neblin!) and close the door behind you. Finally it seems safe enough to stop for bit and make sure nobody is about to die in the next hour or so...


    Geth, roll 1d100 to see if anything noticed your Driftglobe/Light spell

    to see if anything noticed your Driftglobe/Light spell:
    1d100 72 [1d100=72]

    Steelhawk on
    AegisElvenshae
  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 16
    The dwarf is downright chipper, a smile on his face as he trudges down the hallway, carrying the wooden chest in his arms. Finally finding a place to rest, Dural finds himself a corner of the room and drops the chest on the floor. Then picks it up...and drops it again. Then kicks it a few times for good measure. Eventually he gets around to setting down his pack and gear, resting on top of them and using the chest as an ottoman, legs draped over top of it in conquest.

    (( Spending 2 hit die to heal. Also my statline should be -/0 for spells since I used my last one on Comprehend Animals. ))

    minion, roll 2d10+6 for Hit Dice Healing

    Hit Dice Healing:
    2d10+6 25 [2d10=9, 10]

    Aegis on
    Currently DMing: None right now! :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +4/1d8+2 | Spell +4/DC 12
    Steelhawkam0nElvenshae
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    @Aegis - The chest popped off as soon as you stepped outside of the Stirge room. The curse broke once you left that room.

  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 16
    (( Oh! I missed that there was IC stuff in the previous update. ))

    Aegis on
    Currently DMing: None right now! :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +4/1d8+2 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    In all of the chest dropping, the latch pops open and the contents spill out!

    Copper, Silver and Gold coins splay out across the floor, along with a handful of brightly coloured gemstones and few intricate trinkets here and there. Also spilling out: a scroll case, a potion case with 3 unmarked vials and a pair of supple leather gloves, the palm and fingers of which are covered in tiny leather studs, as well a slight bit of webbing between the fingers.


    500 gold cash value in coinage and "things" - if someone wants a trinket for their share PLEASE feel free to flesh it out.
    A scroll case with 3 scrolls: Dispel Magic, Gaseous Form & Fireball
    3 potions, two ruby red, one sickly green.
    One pair of Gloves!

  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited June 16
    Ay does his best to help the badly beaten halfling through the halls while trying to keep up with the surprisingly chipper dwarf. Once into the empty room, Ay helps Barran to the ground to rest, while he himself drops to the ground. He does his best to try and concentrate, meditate, as the dwarf goes to kicking and throwing the chest around. A while later he comes to, the chest apparently open and the contents being examined by the others.

    "Anything useful in the chest? Maybe a magical portal back to town? I remember reading a story about demons and devils, diablo, and scrolls that would open portals to a nearby town. Could use one of those right about now." Ay notices the gloves, as odd looking at they are. "Any idea what is up with the gloves?" Ay reaches for the gloves, playing around with them a bit to see why they have such an appearance.

    OOC: Meditate for Short Rest, spend Surges. I'll start with one and see where that gets me.

    Geth, roll 1d8+2 for HD

    HD:
    1d8+2 4 [1d8=2]

    am0n on
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited June 16
    And spending the second one it is.

    Geth, roll 1d8+2 for HD

    Ay - AC:16, HP: 31/31, Ki: 4/4, HD: 0/4

    HD:
    1d8+2 7 [1d8=5]

    am0n on
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    Barran's going to spend three of his hit dice.

    Geth, roll 3D8+3

    Oh my fucking god this post
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Currently RPing: Barran in the Ruins of Undermountain!
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    edited June 16
    Forgot the qualifier...
    Geth, roll 3d8+3 for HP


    Barran - AC:16, HP: 22/27, Spells:-/0

    HP:
    3d8+3 14 [3d8=4, 5, 2]

    Bursar on
    Oh my fucking god this post
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Currently RPing: Barran in the Ruins of Undermountain!
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    /arrgh I can't remember if we've spent any HD already!

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    OOC: Go ahead. Spend your HD. I wasn't keeping track between last long rest and now...so go ahead and abuse it now and this will be the LAST short rest you can spend HD on. From the next long rest on we'll keep a better count.

  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited June 17
    ok, gonna roll it all in one to save posts but adding a restrictive "I'm aiming for 26<+ hp".

    edit: all 4 HD used, full again!

    minion, roll 4#1d6+2

    4#1d6+2 4 # 3 [1d6=1] 3 [1d6=1] 6 [1d6=4] 8 [1d6=6]

    evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited June 17
    OCC: Assuming someone will spend the short rest figuring it out....they are Gloves of Swimming and Climbing!

    I can't recall at the moment if they would need ANOTHER short rest to attune them to it's user.

    Steelhawk on
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    edited June 17
    Gonna throw 2 hit dice. And yeah, the Rallies and Maneuvering Strikes used up the rest of my Superiority Dice. I'll use Inspiring Leader over the short rest, too, so everyone gets 5 temporary HP.

    Stat Line: Philo - AC:19, HP:32/38, 0/4 Sup. Dice
    Geth, roll 2d10+2 for Heal up!

    Heal up!:
    2d10+2 10 [2d10=1, 7]

    Mongrel Idiot on
    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited June 17
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    OOC: Go ahead. Spend your HD. I wasn't keeping track between last long rest and now...so go ahead and abuse it now and this will be the LAST short rest you can spend HD on. From the next long rest on we'll keep a better count.

    That's why I keep it in my stat block. Otherwise I'd forget, too!

    I spent my short rest meditating for Ki, so if that means I can't figure out what they do, I'll let someone else figure it out or we put them away until we have time to do so.

    am0n on
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    am0n wrote: »
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    OOC: Go ahead. Spend your HD. I wasn't keeping track between last long rest and now...so go ahead and abuse it now and this will be the LAST short rest you can spend HD on. From the next long rest on we'll keep a better count.

    That's why I keep it in my stat block. Otherwise I'd forget, too!

    I spent my short rest meditating for Ki, so if that means I can't figure out what they do, I'll let someone else figure it out or we put them away until we have time to do so.

    Yeah. I'm pretty sure you guys have gained twice as many HD from short resting this stint that is allowed. Enjoy it while it lasted, folks!

  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Alright. So the stat blocks and loot tally are as follows:

    Philo - AC:19, HP:32+5/38, 0/4 Sup. Dice, HD: 0/4
    Barran - AC:16, HP: 22+5/27, Spells:-/0, HD: 0/4
    Ay - AC:16, HP: 31+5/31, Ki: 4/4, HD: 0/4
    Dural - AC:18, HP:40+5/40, Spells:-/0, LoH:10/20, HD: 0/4
    Salazar - AC:15, HP: 30+5/30, Spells: -/0/0, SP: 0, HD: 0/4
    Angus - AC:12, HP:17+5/20

    500 gold cash value in coinage and "things" - if someone wants a trinket for their share PLEASE feel free to flesh it out.
    A scroll case with 3 scrolls: Dispel Magic, Gaseous Form & Fireball
    2 Potions of Healing (it looks, smells and tastes the same as the stuff you buy from the Gnome upstairs whose name escapes me.
    1 Unknown, sickly green coloured, potion
    Gloves of Swimming and Climbing (unattuned)


    So, pick a direction and I'll figure something out. This section of the dungeon is unknown to all of you for the most part you are lost. If you'd like you can make a INT check/Direction Sense type roll to try and get your bearings.

    As a reminder/reference...

    Zarr's Area of Control:
    Lady%20Zarrs%20Territory_zpsiiz8mkps.jpg

    You entered her territory through the Hall of Heroes (and its lightning trap) and the Gob ready room at #4, and exited her territory through room 11. Currently you are pretty much just off the map to the south. We totally blasted past rooms 12 and 13 because I didn't want to put you guys through that in your cursed and Stirge weakened state. Room 12 is another interesting puzzle room I yoinked from the 4e source material (that I still need to change the ending/reward to fit this game) and room 13 is something that I'll need to completely change for this game.

    So....back into Zarr's lair, or off to the south and/or west towards the unknown?

  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 19
    "Bunch o'ready things," the Dwarf says dismissively, shaking the parchment scrolls about before tossing them back onto the pile of gold and gems, "An' some vials that if'n I had to guess, turn ye into a toad or chicken, judging by the sense o'humour of whoever cursed this chest in the first place." The characteristic grumbling flares up once again, though brief and distracted immediately by the sight of gold.

    "We yet figure out exactly where we be an' 'bout where these drow be hangin' about? They seemed like to just blast through the room o' stinging death, so I had figured we'd run right straight into them, an' yet we haven't."

    Aegis on
    Currently DMing: None right now! :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +4/1d8+2 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    "You could always ask Angus or the deep gnome about it. What's your dwarven gut say about those two rooms we past?"

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    "Eh. I dunno." says Angus. "T'aint never made it past the barracks when I was allowed outta the kitchens. M'guess we'd be out of Zarrs kingdom though. But she's always trying to expand, yeah? I'm sure there's somethin' in those rooms she'd want."

    Neblin kids along sagely. You're still unsure if he had any idea what was said.

  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    "The sign out of the spider area did say to hurry through instead of just 'don't go through this door,' so the room full of stirges isn't likely to be a hard edge to Zarr's area of control," Barran muses. "Do you reckon Zarr knows where this is? Could she and her followers have been brought in like the orcs we'd, er... 'met'... and just decided to set up shop in these new and interesting corridors without suspecting the great city not too far above?"

    Oh my fucking god this post
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Currently RPing: Barran in the Ruins of Undermountain!
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    "Nay, lad. They know. They be snatching dem street kids and others from the city and sending them down below to Skullpoft and the off to the Underdark as slaves.

    How they get the people from the streets to down here? I dunno that either. Probably involves gold and some evil men livin' in Waterdeep."

  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    "You said you haven't been this far before, but have you heard them discuss anything about the area beyond her domain? Anything you may have heard could at least give us insight as to what we may encounter if we continue this way."

    Ay tries to think for a moment and try to figure out which way they are facing and roughly which direction the well back to the surface may be.


    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Survival

    Assuming Survival is the right check, if not let me know and I'll provide the correct modifier. In 4E you had Dungeoneering for just this, but I'm not sure if it would be Perception ("It measures your general awareness of your surrouindings and keenness of your senses.") or Survival ("follow tracks,... guide your group through frozen wastelands,...").

    Survival:
    1d20+3 23 [1d20=20]

    AegisSteelhawk
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    "Lad," Angus sighs. "I was a damned Drow prisoner fer weeks. I never saw the spider den, ne'ermind these rooms we went past. Nine Hells, I don' even know where Zarr sleeps at night."

    Mulling over this thought, Ay absentmindedly grabs the etching of the map that Barran took and runs it over in his head. It clicks!

    You are almost due east of the well at the moment. If you head in that direction, even if the dungeon does take some weird turns here and there, Ay is confident he can lead the party back towards the well. What he can't possibly know, however, is what's in between here and the well.

  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited June 20
    "Well, then I guess we are going blind." Turning the the others, "I'm very confident that the well back to the surface is due East West. If we aren't going to head back through where we just came, we should do our best to head East West and maybe see if we can locate an area we can fortify in case we need have an extended stay down here. Hard to tell how high the sun is in the sky, but I'm feeling a bit weary myself, so I suspect it is already on it's way down."

    OOC: How many exits are there to the room we are in? Can we deduce what the room may be, or have been, used for? When we made our way here, did we notice anything out of the ordinary (signs, scratches on walls/floors, webs or goo strewn about, etc.)?

    am0n on
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    "We could use a rest, and a hot meal," says Philo. "Let's not lose sight of the important thing, though: putting an end to Zarr and her child-killing ways. We should loop back to the Well, rest up, and return."

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    OOC: To clarify:


    First, thanks to that Nat20, the Well back to the Yawning Portal will be easy enough to find... but not as easy to do. An excellent dice roll does not negate the dangers of Undermountain. Only that you are no longer lost in Undermountain. Handling Zarr is best done sooner rather than later, as the majority of her forces are off making a slave delivery.

    Second, and very minor, the party is currently EAST of the well....so you have to travel to the WEST to find it.

  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Thanks. Any feedback on my questions regarding our surroundings?

  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    am0n wrote: »
    OOC: How many exits are there to the room we are in? Can we deduce what the room may be, or have been, used for? When we made our way here, did we notice anything out of the ordinary (signs, scratches on walls/floors, webs or goo strewn about, etc.)?

    OOC: One door. And you have no idea how secure the area is. There's some broken, rotting, wood that could conceivably have come from a desk or table. However it is so old that there's really no telling. As for telltales...you didn't have time to notice anything making your way to this room. You'd have to scout around the area for more info.

  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    OOC: So, the party is low on spells, but long on HP.

    What's the plan?
    A) Right back into Zarr's HQ?
    B) Explore those 2 rooms just outside the Stirge room?
    C) Make you way through the dungeon back towards the well?
    D) Scout the area and find a better place to Long Rest?
    E) Take your chances and try to Long Rest in this room?

Sign In or Register to comment.