The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[pbp] Ruins of Undermountain (D&D 5e) - ...And into the Basilisk Den!

16061636566

Posts

  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    //ok then I definitely vote for opening the prison in waterdeep. It's a win-win! TO THE BAR!

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    @Aegis @am0n @Bursar @evilthecat @Mongrel Idiot

    We're going after Lady Zarr...

    Which direction?

    You can head back south the same way you came up here, past the Carrion Crawler corpse, the Stirge Lair and re-enter Zarr's realm via the Spider Lair.

    OR we can head back north and through the Hall of Three Kings and then the Bone Throne Room, and the east through the Hall of Mirrors until you get back to massive room that served as the parade grounds of sorts for Zarr's Army.

    The Map So Far:
    Ei7EWVR.jpg


  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    @Aegis @am0n @Bursar @evilthecat @Mongrel Idiot

    We're going after Lady Zarr...

    Which direction?

    You can head back south the same way you came up here, past the Carrion Crawler corpse, the Stirge Lair and re-enter Zarr's realm via the Spider Lair.

    OR

    We can head back north and through the Hall of Three Kings and then the Bone Throne Room, and the east through the Hall of Mirrors until you get back to massive room that served as the parade grounds of sorts for Zarr's Army.

    The Map So Far:
    Ei7EWVR.jpg


  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    Weird, I didn't get a notification that you'd pinged me.

    I propose we go back through the Hall of Three Kings and so on. She won't be expecting us to come back that way, I imagine.

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
    SteelhawkAegis
  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    Yea, no south. South is filled with stinky pain and suffering.

    Currently DMing: None right now! :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +4/1d8+2 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    "We makin' any stops along the way?" The dwarf inquires, gesturing northwards. "Ain't our first time through, so hopefully they won't be filled up with nasties again. Carrion beasts will at least be headin' south fer a meal," he muses.

    Currently DMing: None right now! :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +4/1d8+2 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    "Are we taking this thing with us?" Barran asks while waving the wand that guides the cumbersome floating prison sphere. "If we think Zarr wants it, and we're not willing to use it ourselves, it's just asking for trouble to take it into her stronghold."

    Oh my fucking god this post
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Currently RPing: Barran in the Ruins of Undermountain!
    Steelhawk
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Now that is a conversation worth having.

  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 27
    Dural winces visibly, "Please don't be wavin' the mysterious, probably explosive unknown magical trinket around like a piece o' cloth. Makes me twitchy.

    I'd want t'leave it,"
    he continues, "But better we have it with us and know where 'tis than some random thing stumble across it."

    Aegis on
    Currently DMing: None right now! :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +4/1d8+2 | Spell +4/DC 12
    Elvenshae
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    "Huh. Shame we just sent a pair of folks who could take it back to the topside for us away, then!"
    Barran hums the bassline to a traditional halfling thinkin' song for a moment.

    "Well, if we don't want someone 'random' stumbling across it, perhaps someone we already know? Hide the wand behind that mimic you've made friends with, and stow the glowy ball in the no-magic room so it looks like a piece of debris?"

    Oh my fucking god this post
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Currently RPing: Barran in the Ruins of Undermountain!
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited September 27
    OK! I'll work up a post advancing the story moving you through the dungeon towards Lady Zarr via the north-ish path.

    But first...

    Edit: Damnit Geth, sometimes you are no fun! :)

    Geth, roll 1d100 for 10% of Random Encounter on the Way

    10% of Random Encounter:
    1d100 49 [1d100=49]

    Steelhawk on
    am0n
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    The party starts moving northwards after saying their goodbyes to Angus and Neblin. Following the increasingly familiar halls of the area near the Well. Philo's Glowing Globe is up and casting light in the halls, despite most of the party not needing it.

    You easily, and without delay, return to the Hall of Three Kings. The detritus and blood and evidence of your battle with the Troll is still here. Curiously, not the Troll itself. Although you have seen a number of carrion eaters here in Undermountain. Gelatinous Cubes, Carrion Crawlers...its not surprising that something has taken care of the body in the few days since you've been this way. What is more surprising, is that the Helmed Horror's have not challenged your passage to the north. In fact, the alcoves in which they were previously hidden are now visible. The secret doors opened and apparently abandoned.

    Now, you find yourselves in the Bone Throne Room. This room does look like its been disturbed a bit since your last visit. The bodies of the Hobgoblin soldiers slain here are also not to be found. Stains on the old tiled floor show that they've been dragged away. Dragged through the door in the north wall. The same doorway you are headed towards.

    This door leads to the Hall of Heroes. The long hallway lined with statues that led towards the Hobgoblin's parade grounds. The same statues that were trapped to hold a chain of electricity that rattled more than one of your bones the last time you came through this way. The memory of that attack slows your determined progress thus far.

    How do you proceed?

    Elvenshae
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    and stow the glowy ball in the no-magic room so it looks like a piece of debris?"[/b]

    Ye gods. You were standing in the magic dead room the entire time you were having that conversation. I didn't even think of horrible ways to fuck with you guys regarding magic glowing prison orbs in a magic dead zone.

    Either I missed an opportunity or you did.

    Lets just never speak of this again. :P

    Elvenshae
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Please don't take this as an ultimatum or anything dire, this is not my intent....but if I don't hear any plans on how to proceed I'll move the game forwards anyway on Monday.

  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    Barran rubs his arms at the memory of the snake bites and gives the throne a wide berth. He searches his memory for what had transpired the last time the group had come this way. ...Had it really only been a couple of days? It felt like months.

    "I got lucky last time," he offers to the others, "But when we're in the hall with the electric statues, stay well off to the side if you don't want your eyelashes crispy. And as Ay can attest, they had a giant lizard penned up in that room to the south which would surely be a difficult foe if we had to face it."

    Oh my fucking god this post
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Currently RPing: Barran in the Ruins of Undermountain!
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    Philo runs the bridge of his nose. "Always something in this damned mountain."

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    "Giant lizard be a tad o'an understatement," the dwarf grumbles as they make their way through the halls.

    Currently DMing: None right now! :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +4/1d8+2 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2
    Once again, the party enters The Hall of Heroes.
    A long hall stretches before you. Beautifully carved, lifelike grey stone statues of warlike humans stand atop pedestals in two rows, stretching as far as your eye can see. Warriors of both sexes are represented, all facing inward. They seem to be carved - statue & pedestal - from one piece of stone. Something or someone has smashed and chipped away the identifying plaques on every single statue. The vandalized warriors stand silent and motionless, weapons menacing eternally.

    The hallways is still 230 feet long from end to the end. There are still 40 statues in the room, 20 on each side of the hall. The door north from the Bone Throne room deposits you on the west side of the Hall and you slowly make your way east where your torchlight reveals a set of double doors. There are definitely more scorch marks on the statues than you remember and the smell of ozone is heavy in the air.

    As soon as the party opened the door, an arc of electricity blasts east through the hallway! Another few seconds earlier and you would have been blasted! Judging by the feeling in the air and the scorch marks on the statues, it is reasonable to assume that the electrical blasts are a repetitive process. You suspect you won't have a lot of time to make it the 160 or so feet to the end of the Hall.

    How do you proceed?




    Geth, roll 1d4 for recharge

    Re: giant lizards.... how are you guys reading my mind? :)

    recharge:
    1d4 1 [1d4=1]

    Steelhawk on
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    @Aegis @am0n @Bursar @evilthecat @Mongrel Idiot

    As you are standing in the doorway ready to enter the hallway full of statue, stunned for a moment at your near miss with electrocution, another bolt ranges through the carved figures!

    After the invasion in her territory, Lady Zarr's defenses in her lair have changed to reflect the decimation her forces have suffered thus far!

    Please give me your initiative rolls to navigate through the long hall way as we need to count rounds and movement before the next strike hits.

    OR, you can back away and try to find another way through the Hall

    Geth, roll 1d4 for Electical Trap Recharge

    Electical Trap Recharge:
    1d4 3 [1d4=3]

    Elvenshae
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    "On the one hand, I really don't want to get zapped, on the other, Dural's beard was absolutely stunning the last time we went through here.."


    minion, roll 1d20+2 for steelhawk's trying to wreck my groove again

    steelhawk's trying to wreck my groove again:
    1d20+2 10 [1d20=8]

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    SteelhawkElvenshae
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    "Hoof it, lads!" calls Philo as the hair on his neck begins to stand on end...

    Geth, roll 1d20+1 for Initiative.

    Initiative:
    1d20+1 21 [1d20=20]

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
    SteelhawkElvenshaeBursar
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited October 3

    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Initiative

    Trying to figure out if I can cover the room in a single round. If I can take a Dash as a bonus action, can I also take Dash as my regular action, giving me 3x my movement?


    "You don't have to tell me thrice..."

    Initiative:
    1d20+3 12 [1d20=9]

    am0n on
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    //I can RP this bit in but in complete meta gamey form: if hawk's 1d4 roll is the recharge in rounds, then 3 of us are definitely getting zapped once. anyone remember how painful the field was?

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    "Changed m'mind! Would rather wade through giant fish infested sewer," the dwarf says, once the doors are opened and the lightning begins to crackle, getting so far as halfway turned around in the opposite direction before people begin to shuffle and move forward. "Oh fer..." is uttered upon realization that nobody would be following him, before the rest is drowned out by another crack of electricity.

    minion, roll 1d20 for Initiative

    Initiative:
    1d20 14 [1d20=14]

    Currently DMing: None right now! :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +4/1d8+2 | Spell +4/DC 12
    ElvenshaeSteelhawk
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Technically, you are not supposed to know when the next blast will hit. Instead I am imagining a frantic dash down a corridor with players having to carefully plan their action economy so as to make it to the end of the corridor in the best shape to take on the next challenge.

    Maybe I made a mistake in rolling for the recharge openly? Metagaming is bound to happen no matter what. Oh well.

    But if you must know, the damage the trap will cause is 3d6 Electrical, with a DEX 12 save for half. :)

  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited October 3
    //I think it's fine, no one wants to go the other way, it's about finding the best path through the zappy corridor. Meta gamey stuff needs to be translated into RP.

    Remembering that Barran had successfully taken cover behind a statue the last time round, Salazar wonders whether they could do this as a group, leap frogging down the hall...

    my int and wisdom mods are both +1, so 14 for trying to not get zapped at all.

    minion, roll 1d20 for dice

    dice:
    1d20 13 [1d20=13]

    evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    "What happened to the button? I miss the button," Barran mutters, cinching his pack tighter so it won't jostle in the upcoming mad dash.

    "Unless there's some poor bugger on the other side of the door whose job it is to just press it every couple of seconds..."

    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for init

    init:
    1d20+4 17 [1d20=13]

    Oh my fucking god this post
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Currently RPing: Barran in the Ruins of Undermountain!
    SteelhawkAegis
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited October 3

    Ok!

    INITIATIVE ORDER:
    Philo
    Barran
    Dural
    Ay
    Salazar
    Trap

    You have all of your faculties and can use all/any of your regular actions in a turn. You need to make it 180' down the hallway to be considered safe.

    If you choose, you can use your action to try and Hide behind the base of a statue (DC 15 skill check) to avoid getting hit by the trap.

    Philo is up!

    Steelhawk on
  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    Do we get reactions like we would in normal combat (I understand this isn't combat)? I have a feat that's intensely relevant to this current situation that requires me to use a reaction.

    Currently DMing: None right now! :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +4/1d8+2 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    Do we get reactions like we would in normal combat (I understand this isn't combat)? I have a feat that's intensely relevant to this current situation that requires me to use a reaction.

    What is it/What does it do? If you want to go last, I suppose you can delay until after the trap hits?

    That seems kinda awkward thpugh...

  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »
    Do we get reactions like we would in normal combat (I understand this isn't combat)? I have a feat that's intensely relevant to this current situation that requires me to use a reaction.

    What is it/What does it do? If you want to go last, I suppose you can delay until after the trap hits?

    That seems kinda awkward thpugh...

    I can use my reaction when I'm subjected to a DEX save for half damage, to instead take no damage if the save is successful.

    Currently DMing: None right now! :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +4/1d8+2 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »
    Do we get reactions like we would in normal combat (I understand this isn't combat)? I have a feat that's intensely relevant to this current situation that requires me to use a reaction.

    What is it/What does it do? If you want to go last, I suppose you can delay until after the trap hits?

    That seems kinda awkward thpugh...

    I can use my reaction when I'm subjected to a DEX save for half damage, to instead take no damage if the save is successful.

    Oh, yeah. That's cool. Quite relevant indeed.

  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    Philo makes a dash for it, raising his shield and hoping to draw the trap's fire away from his comrades.

    Just hoof it 60 feet into the room. Kinda regretting not taking Shield Master now...[/grey]

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited October 4
    Head down, Philo pounds down the hallway as fast as he can...

    @Bursar is next!



    Edit: Now that Philo and his Driftglobe are 60' away, how does Barran plan on navigating in the darkness of the hallway? You are considered to be BLIND until within 20' of Philo.

    Philo (60'/180') - AC:19, HP:38+5/38, 4/4 Sup. Dice, HD: 2/4, Cold Resistance
    Barran - AC:16, HP: 27+5/27, Spells: -/3, HD: 2/4
    Dural - AC:18, HP:40+5/40, Spells:-/3, LoH:20/20, HD: 2/4
    Ay - AC:16, HP: 31+5/31, Ki: 4/4, HD: 2/4
    Salazar - AC:15, HP:30+5, Spells:-/4/3, SP:4, HD:2/4

    Steelhawk on
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    (If anyone else is champing at the bit to go, feel free. Your only opponent in this "combat" is a trap that goes last, if it goes at all)

  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    Hey Steelhawk, just in case I get lightning'd while I'm away from a computer, here's a Reflex save to use.

    Geth, roll 1d20+1 for Shit I'm wearing metal armor...

    Shit I'm wearing metal armor:
    1d20+1 20 [1d20=19]

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
    Bursaram0n
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    edited October 4
    Barran hesitates, and is lost.

    When Philo makes his dash down the hall, Barran suddenly realizes that the only thing he can see is the driftglobe drifting away, leaving him in the darkness. Instead of making a run for it himself, the halfling has to conjure up a light of his own in order to avoid running pell-mell into one of the statues. Though he doesn't make it very far down the hallway, he is able to press himself into a gap before the next series of bolts strikes.

    You got me, Steelhawk! Grr!

    Action: Cast Light cantrip
    Move 25' down the hall
    Bonus action: Hide

    Geth, roll 1d20+6 for ducking behind a statue

    @Aegis is up!

    ducking behind a statue:
    1d20+6 24 [1d20=18]

    Bursar on
    Oh my fucking god this post
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Currently RPing: Barran in the Ruins of Undermountain!
    Steelhawk
  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    Exhaling once for good measure, the dwarf lifts his shield and barrels down the hallway as far as his short stature can take him, Fimbul raised in front of him the entire way for protection. Huffing and puffing he slides to a stop behind one of the pillars on the right hand side of the hall, catching his breath as the sound of electricity rises once again.

    50 ft. running down the hall, then duck behind a pillar on the right.

    Currently DMing: None right now! :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +4/1d8+2 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    Dural spends a moment exhaling from his brief sprint before pausing, the reality of his situation dawning on him: this statue ain't hiding shit.

    "If m'beard be frazzled at the end of this, I'M BLAMIN' HORNEY," he yells, whipping around and lifting Fimbul up in front of him.

    I didn't realize it was a Hide check for the statues, and I stand a better chance of handling a DEX save for no damage than a Stealth check for a dwarf.

    minion, roll 1d20 for Dex Save (Shield Master)

    Dex Save (Shield Master):
    1d20 4 [1d20=4]

    Currently DMing: None right now! :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +4/1d8+2 | Spell +4/DC 12
    Steelhawk
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Salazar's going to sprint 60ft down the hall!
    As he passes Dural, he'll respond with banter in kind!

    "Horny? Only your mother calls me that!"
    The smuggest of smirks crosses his face.

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Sign In or Register to comment.