The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[pbp] Ruins of Undermountain (D&D 5e)

1616264666771

Posts

  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    The party charges down the hallway as fast as they can, the longer legged varieties of adventurers outpacing the hardy Dwarf easily.



    Just waiting for @am0n before we start round 2 and do it all again!

    Philo (60'/180') - AC:19, HP:38+5/38, 4/4 Sup. Dice, HD: 2/4, Cold Resistance
    Barran (25'/180') - AC:16, HP: 27+5/27, Spells: -/3, HD: 2/4, HIDDEN
    Dural (50'/180') - AC:18, HP:40+5/40, Spells:-/3, LoH:20/20, HD: 2/4
    Ay - AC:16, HP: 31+5/31, Ki: 4/4, HD: 2/4
    Salazar (60'/180') - AC:15, HP:30+5, Spells:-/4/3, SP:4, HD:2/4[/quote]

  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Is the lightning coming from the statues or something else? Is hiding our only clear option, or could they be knocked over/destroyed somehow? If that seems the only option, given we've already barrelled in, I'll run (you said that if we wanted to hide, it took our action, so I can move 55 feet with my move and then action to hide. If we can double move and still hide, 110 feet and then hide), but I am curious first if anything suddenly stood out (i.e., not trying to survey the room, just trying to find out if we saw where the lightning came from) first to see if maybe I can disable them or something.

    @Steelhawk

  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    am0n wrote: »
    Is the lightning coming from the statues or something else? Is hiding our only clear option, or could they be knocked over/destroyed somehow? If that seems the only option, given we've already barrelled in, I'll run (you said that if we wanted to hide, it took our action, so I can move 55 feet with my move and then action to hide. If we can double move and still hide, 110 feet and then hide), but I am curious first if anything suddenly stood out (i.e., not trying to survey the room, just trying to find out if we saw where the lightning came from) first to see if maybe I can disable them or something.

    @Steelhawk

    Unless you can Hide as a bonus action like a rogue, it takes your action to do so.

    Hiding in this case represents finding enough cover/sweet spot that the trap won't hit you between statues.

    If you recall, the only source the last time you went through here was the trigger rune in the large room to are heading too. For anything else you'd need to make a Perception check.

  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited October 5
    Thanks. I'll just book it and hide.

    Move: 55 Feet down the hall
    Action: Hide

    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Stealth

    Edit: Do we remember a way to turn these *off* with the trigger rune? Or just turn it on? Can I make a Perception check as I run down the hall to see if I notice any other way to disable the traps?

    Stealth:
    1d20+5 24 [1d20=19]

    am0n on
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Gritting your teeth, you expect the next arc of electricity to course through you...but nothing happens! With determination you all keep moving forwards...



    @Mongrel Idiot can start us off with a new round! But really, you can all take your turns as you check in to the forums...

    Philo (60'/180') - AC:19, HP:38+5/38, 4/4 Sup. Dice, HD: 2/4, Cold Resistance
    Barran (25'/180') - AC:16, HP: 27+5/27, Spells: -/3, HD: 2/4, HIDDEN
    Dural (50'/180') - AC:18, HP:40+5/40, Spells:-/3, LoH:20/20, HD: 2/4
    Ay (55'/180')- AC:16, HP: 31+5/31, Ki: 4/4, HD: 2/4. HIDDEN
    Salazar (60'/180') - AC:15, HP:30+5, Spells:-/4/3, SP:4, HD:2/4



  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Salazar's huffing and puffing but dashes another 60ft forward!
    Thank god for darkvision.

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Elvenshae
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular

    @Steelhawk

    From my previous post: Do we remember a way to turn these *off* with the trigger rune? Or just turn it on? Can I make a Perception check as I run down the hall to see if I notice any other way to disable the traps?

  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    am0n wrote: »

    @Steelhawk

    From my previous post: Do we remember a way to turn these *off* with the trigger rune? Or just turn it on? Can I make a Perception check as I run down the hall to see if I notice any other way to disable the traps?

    You remember that just inside the door there was a rune that the Goblin defenders had to touch to turn the trap on. To see what is going on now, you'd have to get into that room first.

  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    //(phone post, excuse formatting/brevity)

    Barran's going to keep trundling down the hallway, but with the benefit of seeing where he's going he gets to move a little faster.

    Action: Dash
    Move: 50 feet
    Bonus: Hide

    Get, roll 1d20+6 for Hide

    Oh my fucking god this post
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Currently RPing: Barran in the Ruins of Undermountain!
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20+6 for damn your Hide, Autocorrect

    damn your Hide, Autocorrect:
    1d20+6 7 [1d20=1]

    Oh my fucking god this post
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Currently RPing: Barran in the Ruins of Undermountain!
    Elvenshae
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20+6 for Lucky Hide Reroll

    Lucky Hide Reroll:
    1d20+6 21 [1d20=15]

    Oh my fucking god this post
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Currently RPing: Barran in the Ruins of Undermountain!
    AegisElvenshae
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Barran swiftly moves down the hallway and ducks down behind the plinth one of the statues rests on...



    Just a few more of you (Philo, Dural and Ay) to go before we move to round 3!

    Also...in reading back, I missed @am0n 's question: Yes! Of course you can make a perception check as you move down the hallway. Sorry it took so long to answer.

    Philo (60'/180') - AC:19, HP:38+5/38, 4/4 Sup. Dice, HD: 2/4, Cold Resistance
    Barran (75'/180') - AC:16, HP: 27+5/27, Spells: -/3, HD: 2/4, HIDDEN
    Dural (50'/180') - AC:18, HP:40+5/40, Spells:-/3, LoH:20/20, HD: 2/4
    Ay (55'/180')- AC:16, HP: 31+5/31, Ki: 4/4, HD: 2/4
    Salazar (120'/180') - AC:15, HP:30+5, Spells:-/4/3, SP:4, HD:2/4



  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    Keeping his shield raised and his eyes on the terrain ahead, Philo runs another 60 feet down the hallway.

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited October 6

    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Looking for ways to disable the trap

    Edit: Solid roll, so I'll wait for some feedback before I move.

    Looking for ways to:
    1d20+5 23 [1d20=18]

    am0n on
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    From your vantage point between two statues at the moment, your sharp eyes can make out a small rune etched out on each of the statues flanking you. As all of these statues are of warriors, the runes typically positioned at the tips of spears or arrowheads. Running along the blades of the swords or around the lips of shields.

  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    I assume the runes appear to be part (i.e. etched into) the statues? Not something easily removed?

  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    am0n wrote: »
    I assume the runes appear to be part (i.e. etched into) the statues? Not something easily removed?

    You would have to take a bit of time and spend your turn to check them out properly and not just glancing at them as you run past.

  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    That's fair. Unfortunately, given I am behind everyone now, I should keep moving.

    Move: Move 55 feet.
    Action: If my perception check took my action, ignore. If not, Hide.

    Ignore roll if Action was already used.

    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Stealth

    Stealth:
    1d20+5 9 [1d20=4]

  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited October 10
    Ay notices the runes etched into the statues, but decides to keep moving and tries to slide in between two statues. He also manage to communicate his findings to the rest of the party.



    Just one more of you ( @Aegis ) to go before we move to round 3!


    Philo (120'/180') - AC:19, HP:38+5/38, 4/4 Sup. Dice, HD: 2/4, Cold Resistance
    Barran (75'/180') - AC:16, HP: 27+5/27, Spells: -/3, HD: 2/4, HIDDEN
    Dural (50'/180') - AC:18, HP:40+5/40, Spells:-/3, LoH:20/20, HD: 2/4
    Ay (110'/180')- AC:16, HP: 31+5/31, Ki: 4/4, HD: 2/4
    Salazar (120'/180') - AC:15, HP:30+5, Spells:-/4/3, SP:4, HD:2/4



    Steelhawk on
  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 10
    The dwarf takes a good few moments to just stand there, shield raised, bracing himself for the shock that never comes. Inching it lower, he peeks over the top of Fimbul to find out what changed, only to note everybody else continuing to run forward. "I was supposed to fire!" He grumbles, picking up the pace and dashing forward once again, opting to take a path along the right hand side now that he has some

    Run along the righthand side of the room (where I was originally going before I figured out I couldn't hide behind the pillar). So 10ft laterally, and 40ft forward.

    Sorry, turkey was this weekend.

    Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    SteelhawkElvenshae
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Dural peeks over his shield enough to realize that he should be running again. As you keep moving pell mell down the hallway the hairs on the back of your neck stand up again. Its clear that the trap is building up its electrical charge again.


    Back to the top of the round! Everyone go one more time!

    ...Its kinda boring when the stupid trap won't trigger, I know...but blame Geth for that, not me!

    Dural doesn't have to worry about that lateral 10', we'll just call it 50' of forward motion.


    Philo (120'/180') - AC:19, HP:38+5/38, 4/4 Sup. Dice, HD: 2/4, Cold Resistance
    Barran (75'/180') - AC:16, HP: 27+5/27, Spells: -/3, HD: 2/4,
    Dural (100'/180') - AC:18, HP:40+5/40, Spells:-/3, LoH:20/20, HD: 2/4
    Ay (110'/180')- AC:16, HP: 31+5/31, Ki: 4/4, HD: 2/4
    Salazar (120'/180') - AC:15, HP:30+5, Spells:-/4/3, SP:4, HD:2/4



  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Let's try to have some fun, because why not!

    Watching Dural falling behind, Ay charges forward to one of the statues in their path and attempts to scramble up the structure and damage the rune that he suspects the lightning is arcing from.

    Move: about 40 feet forward, to about where Dural will end up after his next move.

    Action: I want to try and climb up the statue and break off the weapon, shield, whatever, that the rune is etched into, or somehow damage it in hopes of disabling the trap that Dural will end up next to. @Steelhawk Let me know what kind of roll that is, or if I don't have a chance in heck at succeeding.

    SteelhawkElvenshaeAegis
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited October 11
    Breaking off parts of the stone statue will be nigh impossible in the 6 seconds or so that you have available to you this turn.

    If you give me an INT check vs. DC13 (Arcana would be ideal here) you would have an educated guess that by simply marring the runes you might interrupt the chain of electricity. (If you succeed in your attempt to mar the runes then anyone within say 10' of close to that ruined statue would get ADV on their DEX Saves as the arc of electricity skips a statue.)

    If you made an INT check vs. DC15 then you would also know that to stop the flow of electricity you'd have the spoil the runes on a cluster of 4 statues (2 on each side of the hall) and that would "break the circuit".

    It would take a full round to mar the runes on one statue. (finding the rune, getting to it, scratching it out with a dagger, etc...)

    Edit: Lowered DC's because those were just TOO high. Also want to clarify that your 40' of movement is already accounted for and is kosher. If Ay can hit an INT roll to figure it out he is good to go on his plan.

    Steelhawk on
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited October 11

    Geth, roll 1d20-1 for Int

    Edit: Go Go Dump Stat!

    Given we are already mostly through this, I'll just mar the one that is closest to where Dural will end up, protecting he and myself.


    Ay leaps up a statue along his team's path and quickly jabs one of his kunai into the elaborately etched rune. A small spark occurs followed by a puff of smoke, leading him to believe at least this statue is disconnected. Calling out to the others, "The runes statues create a circuit the electricity travels through. I think I've disabled this one."

    Int:
    1d20-1 15 [1d20=16]

    am0n on
    BursarSteelhawkAegis
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    @Aegis @Bursar @evilthecat @Mongrel Idiot


    Philo (120'/180') - AC:19, HP:38+5/38, 4/4 Sup. Dice, HD: 2/4, Cold Resistance
    Barran (75'/180') - AC:16, HP: 27+5/27, Spells: -/3, HD: 2/4,
    Dural (100'/180') - AC:18, HP:40+5/40, Spells:-/3, LoH:20/20, HD: 2/4
    Ay (150'/180')- AC:16, HP: 31+5/31, Ki: 4/4, HD: 2/4
    Salazar (120'/180') - AC:15, HP:30+5, Spells:-/4/3, SP:4, HD:2/4



  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    Dural turns, watching Ay as he works briefly, before nodding and picking his hammer up again. "Smack the pillars really hard, got it!" He gives up a thumbs up to Ay, then runs down along the hall until he can spot a statue with a rune on it, transferring his momentum into his hammer swing as he barrels into it.

    If I don't find a statue with a rune on it, uh, have me smack a random statue along my path. Moving 50 ft or until the next runed statue, whichever comes first.

    minion, roll 1d20+2 for Strength (I guess?)

    Strength (I guess?):
    1d20+2 9 [1d20=7]

    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited October 12
    Heh. Well you can't move the 50' since it takes an action to damage one of the runes. But you are lucky that now that you know what to do to the runes, you don't need to roll to damage it. :)

    Philo (120'/180') - AC:19, HP:38+5/38, 4/4 Sup. Dice, HD: 2/4, Cold Resistance
    Barran (75'/180') - AC:16, HP: 27+5/27, Spells: -/3, HD: 2/4,
    Dural (125'/180') - AC:18, HP:40+5/40, Spells:-/3, LoH:20/20, HD: 2/4
    Ay (150'/180')- AC:16, HP: 31+5/31, Ki: 4/4, HD: 2/4
    Salazar (120'/180') - AC:15, HP:30+5, Spells:-/4/3, SP:4, HD:2/4

    Steelhawk on
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    Philo skids to a halt at the far end of the room, turns, and remembers that half of his friends have short legs. "Son of a..." he mutters.

    Hey guys, I'm gonna be in a cabin in the woods without wifi through Sunday, so I'll be a little late. If you need Philo to do a thing, he'll probably do it. He's a hell of a guy like that.

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
    am0nSteelhawk
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Philo reaches the doors to the Hobgoblin's "Parade Square" and turns to wait for the rest of his companions...


    Just waiting for @Bursar & @evilthecat to let me know where they end up before we can move this along.

    @Mongrel Idiot - If you could drop a DEX save for me, it would save me the trouble of having to do one if you are away. Unless you want to move through the door and be "safe"

    Also, I'll be away from my computers this weekend too, but I will check in on my phone often.

    Philo (180'/180') - AC:19, HP:38+5/38, 4/4 Sup. Dice, HD: 2/4, Cold Resistance
    Barran (75'/180') - AC:16, HP: 27+5/27, Spells: -/3, HD: 2/4,
    Dural (125'/180') - AC:18, HP:40+5/40, Spells:-/3, LoH:20/20, HD: 2/4, ADV on Save vs. Trap
    Ay (150'/180')- AC:16, HP: 31+5/31, Ki: 4/4, HD: 2/4, ADV on Save vs Trap
    Salazar (120'/180') - AC:15, HP:30+5, Spells:-/4/3, SP:4, HD:2/4


  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    After seeing Philo run into the next room and not immediately get jumped by rabid bugbears, Salazar sprints as fast as he can to get out of the impending zap!

    dashing 60ft to safety.

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    ***Point of Clarification: Moving the full 180' does not guarantee safety from the trap. You need to specify that you are moving through the door.***

    So far, neither Philo or Salazar have entered the next room unless I get confirmation from their players.

    Philo (180'/180') - AC:19, HP:38+5/38, 4/4 Sup. Dice, HD: 2/4, Cold Resistance
    Barran (75'/180') - AC:16, HP: 27+5/27, Spells: -/3, HD: 2/4,
    Dural (125'/180') - AC:18, HP:40+5/40, Spells:-/3, LoH:20/20, HD: 2/4, ADV on Save vs. Trap
    Ay (150'/180')- AC:16, HP: 31+5/31, Ki: 4/4, HD: 2/4, ADV on Save vs Trap
    Salazar (180'/180') - AC:15, HP:30+5, Spells:-/4/3, SP:4, HD:2/4

  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    Barran sees what Dural and Ay are doing up ahead, but would prefer to avoid being hit since the statues won't be disabled completely this round.

    Bonus action: Dash
    Move: 50 feet ahead (can I specify to the statue across from the one Dural has broken?)
    Action: Hide

    Geth, roll 1d20+6 for Hide

    Hide:
    1d20+6 17 [1d20=11]

    Oh my fucking god this post
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Currently RPing: Barran in the Ruins of Undermountain!
    Steelhawk
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    zzzzzzzzzZAP!!!

    Finally, the building static in the air unleashes all at once! The blue glow forms at far end of the hallway and before your minds can register the speed at which it is moving the electrical lattice forms between the statues (with a notable gap in 2 places) and arcs through your bodies!!!


    @Aegis - Please make a DC12 DEX Save with Advantage
    @am0n - Please make a DC12 DEX Save with Advantage
    @Bursar - You have successfully taken cover from the trap. No damage for you!
    @evilthecat - Please make a DC12 DEX Save UNLESS you choose to go through the set of double doors at the end of your turn.
    @Mongrel Idiot - Please make a DC12 DEX Save UNLESS you choose to go through the set of double doors at the end of your turn.

    Geth, roll 3d6 Electrical Damage

    Philo (180'/180') - AC:19, HP:38+5/38, 4/4 Sup. Dice, HD: 2/4, Cold Resistance
    Barran (125'/180') - AC:16, HP: 27+5/27, Spells: -/3, HD: 2/4, Hidden from Trap
    Dural (125'/180') - AC:18, HP:40+5/40, Spells:-/3, LoH:20/20, HD: 2/4, ADV on Save vs. Trap
    Ay (150'/180')- AC:16, HP: 31+5/31, Ki: 4/4, HD: 2/4, ADV on Save vs Trap
    Salazar (180'/180') - AC:15, HP:30+5, Spells:-/4/3, SP:4, HD:2/4

    Electrical Damage:
    3d6 9 [3d6=2, 4, 3]

  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    //waiting on philo, no way am I face checking the murder room.

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    SteelhawkElvenshae
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited October 13
    Well, I think Mongrel might be off on this trip already so I'm going to decide that, for the sake of me not splitting your party, Philo will stay in the Hall of Heroes take the hit from the trap.

    And he passes! So only takes 4 damage.

    Geth, roll 1d20+1 for Philo's DEX Save.

    Philo's DEX Save:
    1d20+1 20 [1d20=19]

    Steelhawk on
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    //given that philo did not enter the room and decided to hunk down instead, can I revise what Salazar is doing?

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »
    //given that philo did not enter the room and decided to hunk down instead, can I revise what Salazar is doing?

    Sure.

  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    //HRRRGH ok no, I can RP it differently but I think the normal thing anyone would do is just sprint forward.

    Standing next to Philo who, instead of opening the doors and proceeding to the next room, is now just standing there, stoically staring at the back of his shield, Salazar wonders whether he isn't having a PTSD episode.
    "We're going to get hit! DON'T JUST STAND THERE!"

    He would have chastised him some more but the sparks jumping between his horns seemingly shortcircuited that particular idea.

    minion, roll 1d20+2 for how bad is this going to hurt.

    how bad is this going to hurt:
    1d20+2 4 [1d20=2]

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Steelhawk
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited October 13
    Your teeth haven't even stopped chattering yet and already you can feel the statues charging up for another go...

    Waiting for Dural & Ay to make their Saving throws and in the meantime I will keep the stat block updated and reset the trap. Its the top of the round so anyone who is not at the door should probably try to go through the door and get away from the trapped statues. But hey, "this is D&D" as Jerry like say on the C-Team, and you can do whatever you want to do.

    Philo (180'/180') - AC:19, HP:38+1/38, 4/4 Sup. Dice, HD: 2/4, Cold Resistance
    Barran (125'/180') - AC:16, HP: 27+5/27, Spells: -/3, HD: 2/4,
    Dural (125'/180') - AC:18, HP:40+5/40, Spells:-/3, LoH:20/20, HD: 2/4, ADV on Save vs. Trap
    Ay (150'/180')- AC:16, HP: 31+5/31, Ki: 4/4, HD: 2/4, ADV on Save vs Trap
    Salazar (180'/180') - AC:15, HP:26, Spells:-/4/3, SP:4, HD:2/4

    Edit: Thank you Geth for your wonderful sense of timing and adding to the urgency of getting through this scene. :)

    Geth, roll 1d4 for Trap Reset

    Trap Reset:
    1d4 1 [1d4=1]

    Steelhawk on
    Elvenshae
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    "G-g-g-g-g-g-et th-th-th-th-rough thhhhhhhhe d-d-door you OAF!"

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Elvenshae
Sign In or Register to comment.